Favorite Engagement Outfit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kate's one is a very smart choice. Nice, Classy and Elegant.
In the past few years, I like Letizia's white suit the most, following by Victoria, one.

Princess Victoria of Sweden (although I wished she would've worn more substantial jewelry). Maxima was ok (even though she purposely dressed matronly because people weren't too crazy about her in the beginning). Other than that I was never really crazy about anyone else's engagement dress.
:xmastree:

I like Mary,Victoria,Madeleine and Catherine.

For me, it is always going to be CP Mary, just so classic and will never date, I doubt. Then I have to say Kate, (or Katherine) was very pretty and smart and young and suited her very well. Plus the colour was gorgeous. And then CP Victoria. Once again the colour was gorgeous. And it fitted her well.
So my top three are

CP Mary
Kate Middleton
CP Victoria

Last edited:
My favourites would be Letizia's suit, Victoria's and Kate Middleton's.
All managed to look polished and elegant.

Maxima and Mette-Marit both wore outfits that were suitable but were a bit matronly - I presume this was to deflect the criticism that accompanied both engagements about their suitability.

I'll put Maxima first and then Mary. Both wore elegant outfits, but I prefer Maxima's red over Mary's taupe.

I'm going revamp this a little bit. Voting today I'd still place Maxima first, Kate second and Mary/Letizia tied for third place.

Worst engagement outfits...Mette Marit, Mathilde, and Marie.

Kate looked wonderful, everything about her looked good from her hair to her shoes. I also loved Letizia's suit it was so crisp and refreshing for her to wear pants.

1.Kate

2.Madeleine

3.Victoria

Worst

1.Mathilde

2.Sophie

3.Alexandra of Denmark

I loved Kates it was modern and really showed off the ring. Victorias was lovely and Mary's. I didn't like Diana's way too old and frumpy for a 19 year old but a lovely colour. Sarah's was awful too long and I will always remember how tight she had pulled the belt it looked odd and her very unladylike walk across the lawn. I don't mind the white suit I like the pants you really see a royal lady wearing pants and it looks good.

Loved Mary's Grace's both are still photos I love to revisit and Charlene's was a lovely colour I did like her's as well.

Charlene Wittstock's sea foam blue/green halter gown was amazing...it is my favorite engagement outfit by far!

Charlene and Kate
BTW Im sure it's been noticed, but has anyone brought up why a lot of these engagement outfits are blue, bluish, or have blue in them?

Looking through the photos posted in this thread, those that stand out to me from among the older generation are the outfits worn by:

1. Fabiola (in the black and white pictures, not the color photos :lol:)
2. Grace (with mixed thoughts about the patterned fabric)
3. Princess Elizabeth (I wish she had worn simpler shoes)

When it comes to the more recent engagements, it was hard to pick a number one and a number two. In the end, the simplicity of Victoria's look wins for me, with Mary coming in closely behind her.

What I like most about Crown Princess Victoria at her engagement is her radiant joy! But the most important aside, this is probably among my favorite looks for Victoria. She was so well put together--very polished, impeccable grooming (no ponytail), in a dress made for her figure in a color perfect for her complexion. The whole look was regal, elegant, classic, and sophisticated. The simplicity of the style of the dress combined with the richness of the fabric was perfect for the occasion and the brooch finished the look. My only complaint is that the dress appears a little shiny, but could this simply be the way the dress photographed?.

For me, of the commoners turned royal, Mary has probably evolved the most. She certainly appeared to be the most nervous during the engagement announcement and, thankfully, her makeup has greatly improved. But in the clothing department, her engagement outfit did not disappoint on the promise of perfection and attention to detail, which are now the hallmarks of her style and grooming. Apart from her makeup, she was well put together from her hair to the shoes. The coat and dress that she wore for the engagement interview are, I feel, the most original. The delicate fabric of the dress was very feminine in contrast to the bands, and the color suited her well. Her look was truly one of lady-like timelessness, one of regal elegance, and one of sophisticated class.

The other engagement outfits that I like from the younger generation include that of:

3. Princess Madeline: I don't follow Madeline closely so I could be wrong but the dress she wore for the announcement of her engagement seemed to be a demure deviation from her typical style. However, not only do I really like the dress, I also feel the look was highly appropriate. Her whole look was incredibly feminine, soft, delicate, beautiful, lady-like, and romantic. From what I have seen of Madeline, there is something of 'fairytale princess come true' about her, about her style, about her image. I hope she finds her real-life prince charming and lives 'happily ever after.' ;)

4. Catherine: Catherine appeared very confident and poised. She looked so happy, as though her dreams were coming true, and yet was composed and dignified. Catherine was very true to herself with her clothing and jewellery choices for the announcement of her engagement, and she looked lovely in doing so. The dress was elegant and classic and feminine. It complemented her figure well, the color was stunning, and her hair was glorious. But, for such an occasion as this, I would have liked to see a neckline that was slightly more conservative and/or a slightly longer hemline (yes, yes, I realize we no longer live in the dark ages :p but for - royal - engagements and weddings, I personally prefer greater modesty as I feel it is more true to the religious aspects of marriage, at least the religious aspect for royals, and the vows of exclusivity). I also feel that the necklace was out of place. Not only did it subtract from the neckline (which I realize I just 'critizied'), it was also lost, was too petite, in her voluminous hair.

5. Maxima: Maxima's look--the shoes, the jewellery, the hair, the dress--was very classic and sophisticated, if not a little too work place professional for an engagement announcement. It is hard to explain, but whilst I really like this outfit I feel that it was not Maxima...it was a little too conventional (she certainly knows when a situation demands less and turns out in the essence of elegance, but not this time), a little too fundamentalist (for want of a word more suiting than 'conservative').

Last edited:
I think Victoria, Madeleine and Kate had the loveliest engagement outfits.

Kate and CP Victoria are my top two pics here, CP Mary is a close third!

Princess Diana Engagement clothes :wub:

1- Kate
2- Charlene
3- Letizia
4- Mary
Four Of Them Look Gorgeous in Engagement Outfit :flowers:

I agree with you there, even though the outfit was derided as "matronly." It seemed to suit the occasion, and Diana was no fashion plate at that time. A shorter skirt would have looked awkward with her flat shoes.

Princess Diana Engagement clothes :wub:

Mary :flowers:
Princess Elizabeth
Charlene
Maxima
I liked Kate's well enough but it was nothing special and it will date IMO Diana's though I love her was not a good choice and Fergie's was a good idea but too big in places just ill fitting.
MM too long and aging IMO
Alexandra of Denmark lots of questions there What was she thinking looms large.
:bang:

Maxima, Letizia, Mary and Catherine are my faves.

Mary and Frederik: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2006/0001459.jpg
Mette-Marit and Haakon: http://royals.web-log.nl/photos/unca...a694758_09.jpg
Letizia and Felipe: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2...TIZIA%2004.jpg
Maxima and Willem-Alexander: http://troonopvolgers.web-log.nl/tro...images/1_1.jpg
Mathilde and Philippe: http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/...359589-631.jpg

Victoria & Daniel
William & Cathrine
Albert & Charlene
Guillaume & Stéphanie

Madeleine & Jonas
Joachim & Marie
Märtha Louise & Ari

I have two favourite outfits:

One of my favourites was the white pantsuit worn by Letizia. She looked wonderful on her engagement day.
White pantsuit
SideView
Closeup

My other favourite was Mary's dress. Completely different to the outfit worn by Letizia, but as beautiful as it. I loved her hairdo and shoes! She looked gorgeous.
Dress without the coat
With the coat
Backview of the coat
hairdo
shoes
ibl
I have always loved marys engament outfit

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite:
1. Victoria
2. Catherine
3. Madeleine
4. Maxima
5. Stéphanie

Mary's hair lets her down in these pictures.

Probably a tie between Victoria and Catherine for me. Victoria might shade it for the simple fact that there's no ponytail!

i quite like the blue dress of Kate,i think that was my favorite engagement outfit.

Back
Top Bottom