Fashion Suggestions for the Princess of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
According to the members' request here's a thread for Fashion Suggestions for The Duchess of Cambridge/Princess of Wales.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
is this a thread for wedding dress suggestions or just general fashion suggestions for Kate?

As a general suggestion i would like to see her experiement with what way to wear her hair - i am sure it has been suggested many times by other members.

I believe its general suggestions...if you have wedding suggetions you can make them in the weddings suggestions and musings thread.

I'd love to see the below on Kate

Collette Dinnigan Pre Spring 2011

Printed dress - The bat sleeves & print is the ideal choice for spring & summer, Kate would look in these colors
Coral strapless dress - Ideal for a cocktail party. The color is quite young & fresh.
Sleeveless navy/grey lace dress - The lace is quite pretty, I think she could look good in this dress at an official event with hair pulled up.

Issa Spring 2011

One shoulder blue dress - This would be great on Kate, the one shoulder would work perfectly on Kate.
Light blue strapless - Lovely dress for a wedding matched with a coat & a hat or even for a cocktail or official event.

Last edited:
Monique Lhuillier

Spring/Summer 2011
Strapless white dress - This would look really good on Kate for a cocktail, the smooth ruffle/detailing is a young effect.
Printed dress - I could imagine this dress pulled off lovely with a hat for a wedding or an official event.
Lace one shoulder dress - Great color for summer, the lace is quite elegant & with her dark hair this IMO would be perfect.

Pre-Spring 2011
Black one shoulder dress - I think the one shoulder suits Kate and the belt embellishment is very pretty.
Gala dress - Amazing color for Kate which is an eye catcher in a way, the cut is princess perfect.

Alberta Ferretti Pre-Spring 2011

Evening dress - The style is quite flattering & Kate could pull this style off very well. The color would be a nice choice as well for her.
Sleeveless dress - The color combination is lovely, would look great at a polo match or an event.
Top & skirt - Amazing style & cut of the skirt, would look great almost with anything, could be dressed up and down. Its lovely with this top as well.
Orange dress - Great piece for almost any event.

A few outfits from Hobbs, a brand the Kate does go for.

Green dress - This is a lovely simple dress yet timeless, the 3/4 sleeves make this dress be worn without a jacket or cardigan. The buttons add a fun detailing to.
Green jacket - This is a lovely jacket, looks quite fitted & Kate would pull this off well. This would look good as a suit with a matching skirt or even matched with a printed skirt/dress.
Pink dress - Perfect for spring or summer, this looks quite cool & the color is very eye catching.
Blue coat - The cut is lovely and could be dressed up or down IMO. The color would look good on Kate.

I can't open the pink dress link?

Hobbs

Purple trench coat - Every person needs a trench coat especially in rainy UK, this is ideal and fun, the color is young & will add color to Kate's wardrobe. She can use this for official events & private outings. The color makes it very different from all the classic trench coats out there.
Jacket & Skirt suit - Color is great for spring & summer could also use it in Autumn. This is very classic and would be nice matched with a nice top. The skirt & jacket would also look good if mixed with other stuff.
Lime skirt - This is ideal for any official event, the color is fun yet it is an elegant piece.
Cardigan - This cardigan can be matched with any of the above skirts or even with a pair of pants. It's a fun cardigan yet quite elegant.

Let it be said, that more often than not...I usually totally disagree with Liz Jones's opinions BUT I actually like some of her suggestions for Kate. Color me surprised!

------------------------------
Well, I think Kate looked lovely, a mum from Somerset emailed me on Friday, after my piece in the Mail dissecting our future Queen’s lunchtime outfit.

I had criticised the black woolly tights that mean Kate can never be taken seriously, the hideous zipped straitjacket, the too-short print DVF dress, the reliance on black and the clutch that is too small for a busy young woman. Oh dear. It’s a wonder Kate will ever emerge again. What on earth am I doing for her self-esteem?

Read more: That's how to be a style queen! LIZ JONES shows Kate what she should REALLY be wearing | Mail Online

:previous: I am not a fan of the Mail or indeed of Liz Jones but, in this case, she's got it right. The first thing I noticed . . . gone was the cheap looking black eyeliner which, let's face it, didn't look that crash hot in the 1960's and while it may give a little dutch courage, it makes her look hard instead of self-confident.

Her use of subtle colours and softer styles was very flattering and much more romantic, especially with the lighter stockings and fabulous shoes, and those beige suede ankle boots are to die for.

To be honest, Kate could do worse than read the article and take it on board.

I like Victoria Beckham's daywear, and I can see those dresses on Catherine. I don't know if, as the DM reports, Beckham is sending a batch of dresses to Catherine . . .

I actually have NEVER liked Diane von Furstenberg (sp?) wrap dress; I didn't like it in the 70's, I don't like it now, or in it's Issa incarnation. I'm not sure why not. I suppose the dress was made for the tall, slender, and small-waisted, like Catherine, and she can pull it off nicely. (I thought the bluee Issa in the engagement pictures was fine.) I just don't think it's a particularly elegant design.

Yeah right, as if anyone should listen to Liz Jones... She was also the one who wrote, that Royals shouldn't wear opaque tights... And taking older photos to show how to "improve", what a cheap trick...

I can't say I think Liz Jones's own wardrobe argues well for her fashion expertise. But that's just me.

Again I agree with you, Vittoria! Liz Jones's picks for Catherine are not particularly convincing. And it was a bit of a cheap trick to use photos that were (at least most) quite out of date. In particular, the winter wedding outfit seemed positively dowdy. And the lunch outfit looked quite springy to me for a mid winter lunch date, and "felt" cold.

IMHO, dark tights, like denim, will always be at least somewhat "in," perhaps not to be worn ubiquitously, but for certain outfits in winter, they can be the ideal thing.

About Victoria Beckham - I like her projects, she improved her own style a lot and now designs elegant simple outfits; I hope that Catherine will wear something in the future, I'm curious how it will be look on her.

About Liz Jones advice - honesty I only like maxi dress and floral dress for girls dinner; the rest is ok, but I'm not impressed; I agree that Catherine should stay away from the eyeliner and maybe try different hairstyle but I'm glad that she have her own style and the fact of being prince's fiancee doesn't change it
I don't expect new fashion idol, I hope she will stay yourself and will be happy in the marriage, the outfits are less important

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she should get a new hairstyle. Something other than the style she wears now.,

Amanda Wakley Spring 2011

Red/pink dress - I think this color would look good on Kate, the fit would suit her body shape & its quite a working dress.
Grey tweed dress - Very classic piece, I quite like the detailing down the front as it gives it a younger feel to the piece, To what it looks like it can be used as a collar or pulled down.
Creamy tweed dress with jacket - The dress is another great piece which could be worn with a colorful necklace to brighten it up but with the jacey it adds a more professional look, I also like it matched with a belt like this but could also be matched with a colored belt.

Hobbs Spring 2011

Green dress - Lovely for a reception or an evening event which requires a cocktail dress. All the detailing on it is lust lovely & very feminine.
Black dress - I like the simplicity of it & I think Kate being a simple dresser this would work very well. The detailing on the side is very interesting.
Skirt & matching jacket - I like the color & the cut. The jacket seems a bit boxy but it goes will with the straight cut skirt & Kate has the body to pull off box looks. This color could deb used anytime of the year.

Last edited:
I would love to see some of these hats on Kate which are by Philip Treacy spring 20111

This hat I would love to see on Kate but maybe in a different color.
This hat is lovely yet quite simple, I like the band/fabric going around. The color is lovely and could match it up with anything.
Also this hat which is great yet simple, the bow on top adds that extra touch, ideal for an event or wedding but in a different color.
Colorful hat is great for spring/summer whether it is an event or a wedding, the hat adds that extra touch to an outfit. Would look great with a plain colored coat.
Great hat with any look for Kate, the doubled color which I would like to see in a different color (as I feel this is ideal for a funeral) would look great and a timeless hat IMO.

Oscar de la Renta spring 2011 - I really like the combination of the cardigan, the top and the neutral pants. This is a great comfortable look for the season.
Oscar de la Renta spring 2011 - A lovely floral dress with a knitted cardigan perfect for spring/summer, Kate can wear & pull off such prints nicely.
Burberry - A lovely coat to be worn all buckled up or with a simple dress underneath since the coat is a lot going on. Its very elegant especially for an evening look.
Burberry dress - I love the color for Kate, I also think its an elegant dress with the detailing over it. Kate also has the body to pull this off.
Temperley tunic - A great summer tunic for watching a polo match or at an event with a colored skirt or even jeans.
Temperley dress - A great strapless dress which I think is a great cut, would look good with her hair pulled back or even up.
Temperley kaftan - I choose this as this is different to an evening dress yet could pass for a cocktail dress for an evening look.
Temperley day dress - Elegant yet the one sleeve makes it quite pretty. I like the print and the fact its simple and not much.
Temperley dress - A great evening dress with hair up or open with some jewelry. I think its a great cut for Kate.

If indeed Catherine has asked for a professional to help her "get it right" on her first overseas trip I am impressed with her self confidence and maturity.

Not that it is a surprise, she showed a self confidence and generosity of spirit that allowed her younger sister to knock the socks off the world at large. If that showed anything more than a wish to fully involve her sister, it also showed what couture can do for the figure, that you don't have to be a movie star or a model to look fabulous.

Catherine seems to be asking for the ultimate "Princess" starter wardrobe of which, to be honest, she has few items at present. That which is needed for the fiancé of a Prince is barely starter fodder for the wife on an official overseas visit.

I am sure that regardless of who is selected Catherine will still dress in the same personal style. Changing it would be like trying to change her and that would not be a good start.

One thing I really hope for is she learns to use her hair as the ultimate accessory (a la the Swedish RF) and that we see HATS!

I am sure that regardless of who is selected Catherine will still dress in the same personal style. Changing it would be like trying to change her and that would not be a good start.

One thing I really hope for is she learns to use her hair as the ultimate accessory (a la the Swedish RF) and that we see HATS!

Im sure her stylist will work to what Catherine wants but into a more professional put together way. I don't see Catherine every dressing or turning into a fashionista movie star. Her outfits always seem to be somehow ladylike/elegant/professional but without trying so hard which I like.

Changing a bit the mood of the topic:
so with the Canadian tour coming up, Trooping of the Colors, Prince Phillip 90's birthday and The RAK charity dinner we'll get to see a lot of Catherine and her fashion choices. What would you suggest her to wear?

I'll beggin :D:

Options for a Gala event:
Marchesa
http://www.marchesa.com/img/collections/notte10fall/large/12.jpg
http://www.marchesa.com/img/collections/notte10fall/large/13.jpg
http://www.marchesa.com/img/collections/notte10fall/large/14.jpg
http://www.marchesa.com/img/collections/notte10fall/large/15.jpg
(sleevless but maybe with something on her shoulders)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom