Fashion Suggestions for Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azile

Nobility
City
Vancouver
Country
Canada
Welcome to a discussion of fashion suggestions and ideas for Princess Mary. Feel free to offer your fashion advice!

Last edited:
I know she is maturing (i.e. getting older) and she is now the mother of two...but I think she should return to a more cutting edge but conservative way of dressing...I am particularly thinking of her engagement dress, the one with the three-quarter sleeves and leather belt buckle detail at the front...I don't like her in frumpy or flouncy outfits...Just streamlined, simple but quirky and definitely original and inspiring...

here are a few suggestions;
from Australian designer, also Mary has been seen in a few of her peices:

Collette Dinnigan fall-winter07
Black corchet top - this could go with anything, pants or skirt also could wear it for a day or night event.
Chiffon top & cadigan - I think the details on the cardigan is a great touch. I like the fact how the top ties to the side. This works wonderful for summer.
grey coat - Ive not seen Mary in grey coats, this is an essential peice/color for a wardrobe. would work well with basically almost everything.

Diane Von Furstenburg fall-winter07
black outfit - ( i think this is a wrap dress) this is just beautiful
coat - print is great, length is also great. this will work well for fall

Missoni fall-winter07
top/poncho - this would be a great pick.color & goes with almost antything. Id like to see it with a nice pencil skirt or jeans would be cool.

BCBG Max Azria fall-winter07 - something like this would be a must have for winter. I think this peice, its warm, velvet cut-outs on it are beautiful ! I also like the silver touches to it. Would look good worn just how it is. I would suggest this if Mary was going to go to a concert with Frederik or a night out, it probably would be too dark for an event.

(all pictures courtesy of style.com)

Last edited:
A few summer looks from 2007 spring/summer collections
Etro box jacket 3/4sleeves & black & white top - for this look, id suggest black pants, top NOT tucked into the pants with the jacket, a think belt would also work perfectly.
Tory Burch top - this is a casual top, imo, this could be worn with a skirt to dress it up a bit & could be worn to a childrens event or even a day out with the family.
Temperley caftan dress - this is an essential peice for summer.
Pringle of scotland - Top - looks well with white.
Michael Kors chiffon dress - this would be a good choice to wear to an opening of a fashion show or any other event. seems to be a light weight dress, also comes in different colors such as a Beige. I think the detailed satin ribbon.
Gianfranco Ferre wrap top - simpley elegent
(pictures-style.com)

In another topic, Royal Ladies wearing Yellow, I suggested that Mary could (and would look fantastic) wear a bright canary yellow.

Summer's here and on July 4, 2007 the DRF, including Mary, will sail to Norway for Queen Sonja's birthday bash. I'm assuming tiaras and gowns will be suggested for the gala, so I found two dresses by Givenchy that might work for HRH.

Perhaps he, the designer, might want to re-work/tone down some of the ruffles.

Gown 1 and gown 2 Perhaps these two dresses may be a bit out there for some, but fashion is all about taking chances, so why not have fun with it.:flowers:

Too see more of this collection plus the review please click [URL="http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/S2007CTR/review/GIVENCHY"]here.[/URL]

If you would like to view all of the latest collections online, please click here.

Christian Dior resort 08 Yellow suit - okay okay, i know this is abit old but its beautiful imo, the cut & printed jacket & white one shoulder dress - with a tiara?
Elie saab fall 08 velvet dress - a great choice for winter, love the color.
Alberta Ferretti grey shaded dress - reminds me of the prada purple she once wore.
Vera wang fall 08 long grey dress - okay here it is, thi sis beautiful, elegent & new in a way, but id like to see it about knee length.
Andrew Gn fall 08 a black top - which could be worn with anything, could also be worn for daytime/evening. I like this top, lots to do with it.
Emporio Armani fall 08 a greay long sweater - great for autum, this could be worn around the house/garden or to an event.

Gorgeous choices, Dazzling.

The Christian Dior winter white off the shoulder silk (?) gown with detailed beading on the shoulder - divine! Now that is a Mary gown. Her wedding tiara matches perfectly. I could see her wearing that to Queen Sonja's birthday gala on July 4.

The Vera Wang gown is unusual. I like the fabric choice for the cut of the dress. It looks like it would flow easliy and is very "roomy" like a Kaftan. The color scheme is beautiful. Furthermore, the color is hard to pull off, like the yellow, but Mary has a light Olive tone tint to her skin, so perhpas it could work. Definitely an early fall dress when she still has a bit of a summer tan left.

I'm on the fence about the Andrew Gn number. If I saw it in person, I might change my mind. Sometimes clothes don't "read" on film, but look amazing in person.

What did you think of the Armani Prive collection this season?

I found a couple of pieces for AP Spring 2007 that were interesting.

First, the pale sherbert/pastel mint green. It's the same gown I believe Kate Winslet wore to the Oscars.

Second, the construction on this jacket is fantastic. I like how the sleeves are cut four inches below the elbow with the slight hint of a bell shape at the botton. The cut around the collar is unusual. The symmetrical cut on the skirt isn't forgiving, but I think it would look nice on her. This set could be worn late day or early evening.

Third, this cocktail dress is great. notice the cut around the shoulders, and the way he chose to have one sleeve long and the other cut across the shoulder/bare. The color like many this season is hard to pull off.

Finally, a simple white day suit. Love the detailing, again, around the neck and down in front of the jacket.

the first one was worn by Beyoncé at the Oscars.

The third is gorgeous, but I wish it was full length.

That's right, thank you Lady K.:flowers:

For some reason I thought Kate wore the dress. Perhaps it was the cross shoulder beading thingy that made me think of Kate. Didn't wear something like this recently?

Dazzling, and other members, you might enjoy this six part mini-series about Karl Lagerfeld that I found a couple of weeks ago. The series follows Karl and The House of Chanel Haute Couture process.

Uploaded by Fashion989, the series is a fascinating, funny, and captures the very stressful world designers. A great aspect to the series, is that the filmakers also focus on the immense pressure the seamstresses go through on a day-to-day basis to make a one of a kind Haute Couture gown.

The series does have subtitles so if your French is a bit rusty don't worry. Finally, in order to watch the whole program either click on Fashion 989's Youtube link or look to your right and it will show you all fo the series in correct order.

To watch please click here.

GlitteringTiaras said:
That's right, thank you Lady K.:flowers:

For some reason I thought Kate wore the dress. Perhaps it was the cross shoulder beading thingy that made me think of Kate. Didn't wear something like this recently?

Yes she did, it was a Valentino couture dress, very similar style & color to the Armani’s:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
Dazzling, and other members, you might enjoy this six part mini-series about Karl Lagerfeld that I found a couple of weeks ago. The series follows Karl and The House of Chanel Haute Couture process.

To watch please click here.

Thanks GT for sharing, ive enjoyed watching it, always been a fan of chanel couture & reday to wear. No wonder those gown are in the few thousand range, cant blame for being that expensive, so much work is put into them & one of a kind dress. Karl is a great designer, love his suits & jackets, could always dress them up or down. I think a chanel jacket is a muct have!!
btw, its a 4 part series or am i missing something?

Last edited:
GlitteringTiaras said:
Gorgeous choices, Dazzling.

I'm on the fence about the Andrew Gn number. If I saw it in person, I might change my mind. Sometimes clothes don't "read" on film, but look amazing in person.
Im not a big fan of Andre Gn, but ive seen alot of his work up close which is beautiful imo, the details & the cut, some look like a couture piece not only that but you can only get them in selective places.

What did you think of the Armani Prive collection this season?

I though it was one of his best collections, almost every piece was exquisite. The suits, the dresses, colors, everything was very well put together. I personally thought that his show was one of the best couture shows for spring/summer 07.

I found a couple of pieces for AP Spring 2007 that were interesting.

Second, the construction on this jacket is fantastic. I like how the sleeves are cut four inches below the elbow with the slight hint of a bell shape at the botton. The cut around the collar is unusual. The symmetrical cut on the skirt isn't forgiving, but I think it would look nice on her. This set could be worn late day or early evening.

Third, this cocktail dress is great. notice the cut around the shoulders, and the way he chose to have one sleeve long and the other cut across the shoulder/bare. The color like many this season is hard to pull off.

Finally, a simple white day suit. Love the detailing, again, around the neck and down in front of the jacket.
[/QUOTE]

the second outfit is very elegent, contrast between the skirt & jacket also I would like to see the brooch on the closure of the belt on the left side of the waist. Another thing why this would look good is that this will imo suit someone brunette like Mary. Maybe a small hair piece would make this very formal which I find very elegant.

the thrid dress would work as a great post pregnancy dress since it isn’t too fitted that would hid her few extra baby weight around the belly area, it’s a great color.

The fourth is beautiful, very classic. I like the jacket cut & fit.

Valentino just showed his latest resort collection for 2008 and there were many pieces that I believe would look fantastic on Crown Princess Mary.

Simple fitted white dress
Sweet for a summer day
Beautiful mint colored coat with simple white A-line skirt
Mint colored outfit
love it, so simple, so chic
simple gown
[URL="http://www.supload.us/thumbs/default/photo_mid_def_2008199.jpg"]simple outfit again

via Firstview and TFS (TRF sister site via the GLAM network.)[/URL]

This latest short collection was all about pale pastel colors. Personally, I'm not wild about his latest presentation, the models are ghastly, but I do like some of the simple cuts and fabrics (silk and cotton).

Great choices GT, i really liked the lace top with the pants,ideal for a afternoon tea party or something like that also the mint outfit...
Have you seen by Malene Birger's collection? i can see alot of her stuff on Mary, especially the skirts and summer dresses

Hey Dazzling:flowers:

I finished watching the latest collection and I see a couple of pieces that would suit Mary. But the collection reminded me of a cross between Philip Lim and Temperley. A slight rip off of these two collections, however, it is nice to see Malene getting some attention here in the States. I saw some of her designs at Barney's and Fred Segal a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure if it's selling (her stuff was way in the back of the store at FS, L.A.) Another thing I noticed in the video were the bags. They looked like a rip off :argh:of the Chloe Paddington bags that were hot two seasons ago.

I guess what I am saying is that I would like to see Malene be more original than she has been in the last season or two. On the other hand, there are alot of items that would do Mary justice and add some chic to her summer wardrobe.:flowers:

GlitteringTiaras said:
Hey Dazzling:flowers:

I finished watching the latest collection and I see a couple of pieces that would suit Mary. But the collection reminded me of a cross between Philip Lim and Temperley. A slight rip off of these two collections, however, it is nice to see Malene getting some attention here in the States. I saw some of her designs at Barney's and Fred Segal a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure if it's selling (her stuff was way in the back of the store at FS, L.A.) Another thing I noticed in the video were the bags. They looked like a rip off :argh:of the Chloe Paddington bags that were hot two seasons ago.

I guess what I am saying is that I would like to see Malene be more original than she has been in the last season or two. On the other hand, there are alot of items that would do Mary justice and add some chic to her summer wardrobe.:flowers:

I got what you meant. I do agree totally.
about the shop and her stuff, i guess because she isnt such a famous designer like chloe, Alexander McQueen, Galliano etc her stuff are with the lower designers, thats how its displayed in most department stores.

I find many designers who are rising like Melania to be a somehow copy of other designers not very original, but she does have a few great pieces when not looked to what isnt her own idea

I don't have any pictures to show but I would love to see Mary in more bright colours

Bright is ok, but I really prefer Mary is jewel tones- ruby red, emerald green, sapphire blue, amethyst purple- really deep, rich, saturated colors. There is something so regal and elegant when she wears them.

I'm pretty sure Mary can wear certain bright colors, like bright aqua, teal, lime, or magenta, but any colors in the yellow tones I'm pretty sure would look horrible on her.

But as long as she doesn't go beige and boring, then that's all that matters.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Valentino just showed his latest resort collection for 2008 and there were many pieces that I believe would look fantastic on Crown Princess Mary.

Simple fitted white dress
Sweet for a summer day
Beautiful mint colored coat with simple white A-line skirt
Mint colored outfit
love it, so simple, so chic
simple gown
[URL="http://www.supload.us/thumbs/default/photo_mid_def_2008199.jpg"]simple outfit again

via Firstview and TFS (TRF sister site via the GLAM network.)[/URL]

This latest short collection was all about pale pastel colors. Personally, I'm not wild about his latest presentation, the models are ghastly, but I do like some of the simple cuts and fabrics (silk and cotton).

Great taste! I love your choices for Mary, especially the first one.

I've been skimming through one of my favorite and yet terrible (bad for my wallet;) ) webites, NetAPorter.com, and I found a fantastic dress from Miu Miu. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/This would look great on Mary. It's similar to the Valentino resort collection, but much much cheaper.

I love the dress! The cut and length would look great on Mary. She has such great style that she could make a mediocre dress look fab.

There are actually a few items that I would like see one her. This may be a stretch for her, but she needs to step out of the safety zone and start taking chances with her clothing:

[URL="http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/21258"]Jovovich-Hawk[/URL]

[URL="http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/21259"]Jovovich-Hawk[/URL]

cute

Temperley (I want this dress!:) )

[URL="http://www.net-a-porter.com/am/images/product/21088/large/cu.jpg"]Pucci[/URL]

[URL="http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/20714"]Azzaro[/URL]

Antik Batik

I think that Mary would look pretty nice in the Temperley and Pucci tunics but either at a longer length or paired as is with jeans. I can see her in the 1st dress by Jovovich-Hawk but the cut of the 2nd one I just can't picture it.

The last two dresses are too daring I think. Thanks for sharing.:)

Oooh, I love the Antik Batik dress! It's gorgeous, great choice GT! :flowers: However I do not like the Jovovich-Hawk dresses, too hippy-ish for my liking.

Personally, I would love to see Mary in some more bright, bold patterns (think the purple Hugo Boss dress she wore in London) :)

JessRulz said:
...Personally, I would love to see Mary in some more bright, bold patterns (think the purple Hugo Boss dress she wore in London) :)

Can someone point me in the direction of this dress? I don't believe I've seen it. Thanks.:flowers:

Malene Birger looks very well on Mary, I think all her clothes are made for Mary!

Rose1991 said:
Could this be it? I'm not sure though - it's at an art exhibition reception in London:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Thanks Rose! I don't believe I've seen this dress before. Very bold but nice and it suits her. I don't think that she would make a serious err with her fashion choices. She can definitely afford to be a little bolder and I'm sure we would be awed! :) Love her hair off face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom