Dutch Abdication & Inauguration: Fashion Choices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephanie's outfit would have looked better without it; the hat looked like a huge platter on her head, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Wow, Mathilde looked sensational! The best all around of all the guests today imo. I remember when she was a new young Royal on the scene how disappointing her clothes were. But after she turned 40 there was no turning back...she has never looked better! :flowers:

Queen Maxima was stunning!!!! King Willem-Alexander is best looking King I've ever seen!

Lovely surprise, the pregnant Aimee. I think her name is Aimee? Anyway, one of the lovely daughters-in-law. Her hate is soft and charming. Victoria's hat way too big and I don't like hats stuck on the side of the head, in any size. May look queenly but also looks ostentatious or obstreperous, something like that.

Letizia looks incredibly thin to me, it even scared me a bit. And she looks a bit haughty in my eyes, snobby.

I was very pleased to see Philippe and Mathilde and cheered in silence when I saw Guillaume and Stéphanie. They are the two couples I love to watch.

Yesterday Matte-Marit wore her favorite night gown to dinner and the ball, today she appear in her house coat. Stephaine should change her fashion adviser who makes her look too matured. Camilla looked like a future queen in the black and white gown also the blue one except her dresser should decrease the padding at the top (you know where). Since she has such beautiful hair, an abundance of feathers makes her head look like a bird's nest.

Once more the ladies look dashing. My favorites are Queen Maxima,Letizia and of -course Queen Beatrix and special honour to Princess Masako.

Sheikah Mozah looked like a Evil Dark Queen from a fairytail!

I like the design and cut of her dress and coat,however a lighter colour would have been more appealing to me,especially for such a festive occasion and springtime.

Yesterday Matte-Marit wore her favorite night gown to dinner and the ball, today she appear in her house coat.

I find your judgement of MM´s dress today very sharp:eek: I agree that yesterday was absolutely not her fashion day-the shape of her dress really looked like a nightgown,but today she looked acceptable. Not really my cup of tea because I find that there is too much going on with the print all over the dress,but the fit of the gown was good and her hair and the jewels were nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. What a disappointment! It seems to be very difficult to pair hats with long dresses.

What was Stephanie wearing? Her mother-in-law's dress and one of Beatrix's hats? Stephanie, if you forgot your hat at home borrow one from Maxima, not Bea!

I was positive Mary was going to really bring it but what was she wearing?

Even someone who usually pulls it out for Prinsdag, Princess Margriet, disappointed me. The collar was floppy and argued with her sash, and the hat did not work with her hair style.

Thank goodness for Letizia and Victoria! Victoria's gown was simple and her hat was extravagant and exuberant but still elegant. Leti's dress was gorgeous and her hat- from any angle but straight on- was fantastic. Face on, the hat was a little pancake-y, but for an amateur hatter Letizia looked amazing.

And Thank you to Queen Maxima for wearing the gorgeous Mellerio Sapphire tiara!

Mary, Mary, Mary! Why did you wear that white and black floral thing to the inauguration today, then turn around and choose something elegant to wear this evening? The floral would have been perfect for the boat.

Tonights boat ride

Mary in a recycled red gown
Picture

MM in a mint colored dress
Picture

Mette-Marit definitely looks much better tonight and a much better choice of gown too. The shrug might come in handy as I hear its chilly tonight in Amsterdam.

Lots of good pictures here. (originally posted by ladongas)

It's odd, but I like Mabel's dress from the Water Pageant.

^^had to take a second and let that sink in. I actually like a dress of Mabel's. Scary. :eek:

LOL, Mabel's dress this evening actually was normal if you could bypass the enormous bow in front!:D

So Rominet alone, so far, agrees with me that Stephanie looks gorgeous. Stephanie is criticized for her casual-sloppy pants and tops, and scarves, and now when she looks outstandingly regal she is criticized again. If that is an Elie Saab dress, it is the first one I have really liked on the Lux women. I love the color, contrary to the general opinion on this thread. The tiara goes so well with the dress and Stephanie. Guillaume looks proud as a peacock and I can see why.
Stephanie's dress is ALMOST too shiny in the skirt, but not quite too shiny...but it does reflect the red carpet? The neckline suits her perfectly. She is totally Princess tonight.

I largely agree with you, Mariel, except that I love Elie Saab and think that he dresses the Luxembourg women very well.

I think that what brings Stephanie down are the accessories -- the scarves and shawls and (now) hats. In some conscious or unconscious way, I wonder if she may be trying to hide herself behind them... which would be a shame, because in interviews she appears to be a very intelligent, confident, and poised young woman. She is also lovely, and she would do very well simply to wear the clothes without additional accoutrements -- or to choose more attractive ones when they are required by protocol, such as today's hat... and to be as comfortable in her own skin while wearing beautiful clothes as she is in the more challenging circumstance of a television interview.

Last edited:
Letizia looks wonderful.

Stephanie...disappointed in that one.

CP Mathilde ...not a fan of that dress.

CP Mette-Marit...not a fan of that one either.

Camilla...sigh. Someone PLEASE send her a proper bra!

Victoria's gown was kinda blah...didn't think it went well with her skin tones.

I think the star was Letizia...great dress.

LaRae

Did Guillaume and Stephanie not attend the boat ride?

Thanks everyone for all of these links to photos. In between watching the NOS feed I kept coming back here and clicked away a good part of my day!

There is a good summary of the hat fashion here. Some of the photos might be repeats but it's nice to see things all in the same place.

Review of the Dutch Enthronement | Royal Hats

I didn't see the water pageant live, but from the pictures I've seen my favourite fashion for the evening event were.
Maxima
Mathilde
Mabel
Victoria
Irene

Last edited:
Eduoard Vermeulen of Natan was interviewed on tv yesterday. Apparently Máxima took her three daughters to the designer an they helped him with the design, gave ideas etc.

Fiona Hering (fashion editor) claims that for Mr. Vermeulen it was a surprise that Máxima was wearing this outfit in the morning. She ordered it a while ago but did't say that it would be used for this event. So he was very surprised and happy about it. The skirt was made from a fabric bought by Beatrix in Turkey & wich she gave to Máxima.

Jan Taminiau, the designer of the blue and burgundy dresses of Máxima, was overwhelmed by it all. Both dresses were embroidered in atellier Lesage in Paris, it was a LOT of work, again according to Fiona Hering.

The white bow on Mabel's black dress is said to have come from her wedding gown, so this way Friso is still there in some way.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. likes-

Queen Maxima's inauguration dress
Crown Princess Mary's nude/silver evening dress
Crown Princess Mary's white print day dress
Princess Aimee's olive green day dress
Lalla Salma's deep green craftan
Crown Princess Victoria's purple evening dress
Princess Beatrix's purple lace evening outfit
Princess Margarita's pink evening dress
Crown Princess Mette-Marit's white and blue dress
Duchess Camilla's black and white evening dress
Princess Sophie's white and gold evening dress
Princess Mabel's white and pink (with bow) evening dress
Princess Mathilde's pink day outfit
Crown Princess Victoria's cream day outfit
Sheika Mozah's all navy outfit with gold jewelry
Princess Sophie's green day outfit

Last edited:
Jan Taminiau was interviewed in De Wereld Draait Door: interview (in dutch)

No qualms there!

The review about the hats has made me chuckle,poor Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie of Luxembourg should have left that hat at home.
I think excesively big hats don´t suit these gala clothes, but some of the guest made they work, as was the case of Mathilde. She was my favourite from the ceremony.

Jan Taminiau was interviewed in De Wereld Draait Door: interview (in dutch)

OK, could one our our wonderful Dutch speaking friends pleeeeeease let us know what Jan Taminiau has to say about the dress?!
Thanks!

Where can I see the full inauguration ceremony at the church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom