dress code for white tie affair or ball

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferRel

City
Rouen
Country
France
what are the dress code and unspoken rules for a "white tie" affair as gala or ball among aristocratic and royal society ? thanks ! Jenni

In a very basic nutshell:
Men - black coat w/ tails and white bow tie (or military regalia)
Women - full length dress (no leg showing at all) and tiaras when applicable.

thanks

so longgg dress - but what kind ? sleeveless or sleeved? shape? accessories in and out ??? Jenni

Hey jenni from what I've seen at these events the dresses can be sleeved or sleeveless, the women also sometimes wear gloves and wraps to cover the arms. As for jewelry what ever matches the gown is what seems to be worn. As for the shape of the dress what ever suits the woman is what she wears. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
more

so rules look rather free and acording to the lady ? have been heard of the contrary, but not know more of the do and dont...

Belle Epoque

Back in the days when I went to finishing school ladies invited to "white tie" affairs did not wear ballgowns without gloves.A long gown usually was daring with bare arms and black was reserved for certain ladies that were distinguished for wearing the colour.If the gown was full then our hair was upswept and if the design had contoured or draped lines more liberty with hair was taken regarding curls.Generally when we were in doubt about our footwear we would adorn our feet with pumps.{sometimes patent sometimes matching our gowns}
I have not seen a man in tails last except to accept the Nobel Prize and that protocol is not being adhered to exclusively.Nowadys I sometimes make the sign of the cross when I see "white tie" events as the gowns are so theatrical and contrived that they are like costumes without the wearer appearing to feel natural in them.Simplicity in dress has been exchanged for simplified practice. Genuine innovation has been exchanged for novelty.
Hope to see exceptions and a renaissance in thought,design and colour.

Jaya said:
Back in the days when I went to finishing school ladies invited to "white tie" affairs did not wear ballgowns without gloves.A long gown usually was daring with bare arms and black was reserved for certain ladies that were distinguished for wearing the colour.If the gown was full then our hair was upswept and if the design had contoured or draped lines more liberty with hair was taken regarding curls.Generally when we were in doubt about our footwear we would adorn our feet with pumps.{sometimes patent sometimes matching our gowns}
I have not seen a man in tails last except to accept the Nobel Prize and that protocol is not being adhered to exclusively.Nowadys I sometimes make the sign of the cross when I see "white tie" events as the gowns are so theatrical and contrived that they are like costumes without the wearer appearing to feel natural in them.Simplicity in dress has been exchanged for simplified practice. Genuine innovation has been exchanged for novelty.
Hope to see exceptions and a renaissance in thought,design and colour.

Jaya, Thank you for your post & sharing your insight. If you have written elsewhere on this subject, I would love the opportunity to read it too, for I agree with your taken position.

See the invitation

On the invitation it is written what the dress code is. In the Netherlands this dresscode is used when you see the following on the invitation (it can differ a bit in other countries):

Gentlemen

Casual
No special requirements
(military: daily tenue)

Informal
Blazer, combination with tie

Tenue de ville (French) / Lounge suit (English) / Casual (American) / (Dark) suit / Daily tenue
Suit in subdued colours (dark blue or grey, no brown)
Deux-pieces eventually with gilet
(military: daily tenue with gloves)

Jacquet (French) / Morning coat (English)
Jacquet
Dark suit with gilet
(military: grand tenue or ceremonial tenue, depending on the occasion)

Smoking (Dutch) / Cravate noire (French) / Black tie (English) / Formal / Mess dress
Black tie, cummerbund optional, no decorations
(military: evening tenue, small decorations)

Rok (Dutch) / Cravate blanche (French) / White tie (English)
Long tails, white tie, white gilet, white gloves (grand decorations possible, depending on the occasion)
(military: grand evening tenue or ceremonial tenue, grand decorations possible, depending on the occasion)

Ladies

Casual
No special requirements

Informal
Dress
Deux-pieces

Tenue de ville (French) / Lounge suit (English) / Casual (American) / (Dark) suit / Daily tenue
Dress - hats and short gloves optional
Deux-pieces - hats and short gloves optional
In the evening: short toilet
(military: daily tenue with gloves)

Jacquet (French) / Morning coat (English)
Deux-pieces with hats - short gloves optional
(military: grand tenue or ceremonial tenue, depending on the occasion)

Smoking (Dutch) / Cravate noire (French) / Black tie (English) / Formal / Mess dress
short evening toilet - (half)long gloves optional, no decorations
long evening toilet - (half)long gloves optional, no decorations
(military: evening tenue, small decorations)

Rok (Dutch) / Cravate blanche (French) / White tie (English)
long evening toilet - (half)long gloves optional - grand jewelry optional - grand decorations optional
(military: grand evening tenue or ceremonial tenue, grand decorations possible, depending on the occasion)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone, please keep the thread going on - shall write later Jennifer

The old ettiquette books define "white tie" much more easily for men than for women. For men it is:
  1. Coat of black or dark midnight blue with satin lapels. Tails of this coat should hang to a point just behind the knee.
  2. Trousers to match the coat with a braid trimming down the outside of the trouser leg.
  3. Waistcoat of white pique; single- or double-breasted, with or without revers.
  4. Shirt of fine white linen with a stiffly starched bosom made for one or two studes and with stiff cuffs. The only collar is a wing collar, stiff and white.
  5. Tie - white, usually made of pique
  6. Shoes - black patent-leather oxfords without toecaps
  7. Socks - black silk
  8. Overcoat - black or very dark midnight blue with or without a velvet collar
  9. Hat - opera hat or top hat
  10. Gloves - white buckskin; never white kid when gloves are worn out of doors. White kid always used to be worn for dancing.
That was from Vogue's Book of Ettiquette copyright 1948. The best definition for women came from Emily Post's Ettiquette copyright 1965.
  1. Evening dress - sleeveless, sometimes strapless; cutlow in back, and usually in front; made of the most elegant materials (satins, brocades); with endless variations in decorations and embroidery.
  2. Long gloves
  3. Their most brilliant jewelry.

dress code of tie is affair very important in the life of classical man in very important ceremonies .

The old ettiquette books define "white tie" much more easily for men than for women. For men it is:
  1. Coat of black or dark midnight blue with satin lapels. Tails of this coat should hang to a point just behind the knee.
  2. Trousers to match the coat with a braid trimming down the outside of the trouser leg.
  3. Waistcoat of white pique; single- or double-breasted, with or without revers.
  4. Shirt of fine white linen with a stiffly starched bosom made for one or two studes and with stiff cuffs. The only collar is a wing collar, stiff and white.
  5. Tie - white, usually made of pique
  6. Shoes - black patent-leather oxfords without toecaps
  7. Socks - black silk
  8. Overcoat - black or very dark midnight blue with or without a velvet collar
  9. Hat - opera hat or top hat
  10. Gloves - white buckskin; never white kid when gloves are worn out of doors. White kid always used to be worn for dancing.
That was from Vogue's Book of Ettiquette copyright 1948. The best definition for women came from Emily Post's Ettiquette copyright 1965.
  1. Evening dress - sleeveless, sometimes strapless; cutlow in back, and usually in front; made of the most elegant materials (satins, brocades); with endless variations in decorations and embroidery.
  2. Long gloves
  3. Their most brilliant jewelry.
Generally speaking it is easier to wear a formal dress for men than women! I received the first set from my parents when I was 18 (morning coat, white and black tie) and I used them till the age of 30, than I bought a new set...
For a woman...first of all a dress can be used only 1 time, or if you attend parties where there are not the same pople, maybe you have the chance two wear the same dress twice! three is difficult...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom