The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Commoner

Diana's Cosmetic Makeup

This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
No, you're not nuts . I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it but actually you're right. On this particular pic, your description fits perfectly.

Although I don't know if this change could be related to her lovers' origins. At least, not entirely. The make-up and fashion in the 90's were putting forward the simplicity so it may also be a reason to stop the red lipstick etc.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have also noticed that Princess Diana's makeup was more simple by 1997.
Did she have a make up artist during this time? :)
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Serene Highness

I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM

And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.
Or you could look like our own dear, late Tammy Faye Baker.

I thought Diana had gone over the top with the makeup. But I guess she was going for the effect.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1948 View Post
BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable
True. Just another detail that may have its importance : the picture was taken during a trip to Pakistan so it may be a sign of respect toward the people. This other pic from 1997 shows also a simple make-up and very light or maybe no lipstick.

She may had various reasons but I'm sure one was that she wanted to be taken seriously. She couldn't go to Angola dressed like any Red Cross volunteer and the next week come up to a gala with a Barbara Cartland face. I believe she thought it would put a "superficial" sense to her work.

Because it matters...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToytownZara View Post
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts?
No, you're not nuts......at least no more than the rest of us.

I find your observation interesting. Though there could be a number of reasons, I am sure that at least one motivation would have been to make herself appear culturally appropriate to Hasnat Khan's Pakistani family.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM

Hi, Im new to this forum

Diana is very much in love with Hasnat Khan and Pakistan. She looks lovely wearing Pakistanis Clothes.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.
Shame, really - she did do the whole formal thing well with the big hats she used to wear. I love hats and am glad the Queen still wears them. But she looked great in the heels as well - of course, a gunnysack would have looked good on her!

And I agree with the others about the eyeliner - that was WAAY overdone. The reasons for the changes seem very plausible, and I know styles were changing then as well, but MAN those eyebrows got dark....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh I LOVED when she wore some black eyeliner. Not in the 'esthetic' way but that was her "trademark". It was her symbol just like the rock band "Kiss" with their faces painted of black and white (no particular sense to the comparison ... was just an example )

Because it matters...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlack View Post
Hi, Im new to this forum

Diana is very much in love with Hasnat Khan and Pakistan. She looks lovely wearing Pakistanis Clothes.
Welcome to TRF, IceBlack!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Aristocracy

does someone have pictures of diana during the panorama interview?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

diana panorama - Google Search=

Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

She definitely had a simpler, more natural look in 1997 and perhaps late in 1996 as well. I didn't think that she looked more Arab/Pakistani necessarily, but she seemed to let her eyebrows grow more thickly and perhaps go back to a natural, darker colour. On the other hand, her hair got blonder and her makeup got paler. She looked like a different person just before she died. As someone else here suggested, it might have been partly due to the 90s "minimalism", which was a reaction to all the excess of the 80s.

Quote:

Or am I just nuts?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.
She really went to town on the eye makeup on that occasion, actually over the surgical mask it looked a bit ridiculous.
When she first married she wore a lot of blue eyeliner, but then that was the fashion, she looked much better afterwards. The last, almost no makeup, look didn´t suit her in my opinion, I keep thinking of the book jacket of her biography, she looked absolutely stunning in that photo.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

She used to be a light coloured brunette, but as was said at the time, she asked her hairdresser to make her blonder since as she told him:"You know my husband loves blondes" . I am sure she was using make up to her advantage depending on the occasion and towards the end she spent more time out in the sun and got sun tanned. With regard to eye liner, I believe she looked awful during that Panorama interview and I do not know how she benefited from it.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:

Or am I just nuts?
There have been some rumours that she has been converted to muslim religion.
Nazma FOURRE

Tags
cosmetics, diana princess of wales, fashion, princess diana, style