Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

Diana - Style icon of a generation

The Sun Online - Royals: Di: Style icon of a generation

What do you think?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Diana was a style icon we saw her style evolve from this frumpy high collar look to this sleek elegant sexy style she had at the time of her death.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Serene Highness

Anothers photos:

Sky News Pictures - Style Icon
Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Commoner

She always will be the queen of style. Never we will be another princess with the carism and magnetism of Diana.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

more photos

Diana
Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Today's Crown Princesses' can thank Diana for bringing a refreshing change to styles. Sure, Diana had a few OOPS styles, but very few. I think it's going to be quite a while before another Princess will compare to Diana.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Serene Highness

more....

DIEZ MINUTOS - 10 AÑOS SIN DIANA, SU ESTILO
Old 09-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's style has influenced many designers, princesses, and celebrities.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
Diana was younger than us, and she didn't influence the way either I or my friends dressed. For most young women of her age, the same type of frock was out of the question, after all one costing £2000+ is almost always going to look better than the £20 copies that were sold in the chain shops.

Contrary to the article, hats were traditional for weddings, christenings, funerals and many society events, it was in the late 1990's that they started going out of fashion and the milliner became harder to find.

I don't think things have changed, even now the media and fashion chains are so busy trying to convince us that this 'look is in', there will always be some who fall for it. The style icons for me all came from the 50/60's.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness

i agree skydragon, or even before that the fabulous looks in the 30's & 40's when glamour was at it's height. diana was a style icon of her generation, unfortunately alot of that was in the 80's the absolute worst styles(lawd remember shoulder pads and big hair) today might be the new worst with the "hoochie" aspect to alot of stuff out there. what is interesting to me is alot of those outfits Diana wore could be put on today and look classic and fresh. imo her later years were much better than her first years when she seemed to dress "too old" for a young woman and was "trying" too hard- once she hit her stride she was off and running.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Dallas and Dynasty had a lot to answer for, do you remember the awful puffball hemline's!

Classic's were about before Diana though and were the normal attire for a lot of young women in this country. I suppose it all comes down to individual taste's and in Diana's case her advisors, as I am sure even the most devoted fan, would agree.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i agree skydragon, or even before that the fabulous looks in the 30's & 40's when glamour was at it's height. diana was a style icon of her generation, unfortunately alot of that was in the 80's the absolute worst styles(lawd remember shoulder pads and big hair) today might be the new worst with the "hoochie" aspect to alot of stuff out there. what is interesting to me is alot of those outfits Diana wore could be put on today and look classic and fresh. imo her later years were much better than her first years when she seemed to dress "too old" for a young woman and was "trying" too hard- once she hit her stride she was off and running.
Your very right bbb compared to women today 20-25 Diana's clothes looked ancient during the early 80s I would say after Harry was born the Princess was developing her own personal style and by the time of her death she came into her own. Many of the dresses she wore back in the 90s are still in style today. IMO Diana was most beautiful during her last year 1997.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Dallas and Dynasty had a lot to answer for, do you remember the awful puffball hemline's!

Classic's were about before Diana though and were the normal attire for a lot of young women in this country. I suppose it all comes down to individual taste's and in Diana's case her advisors, as I am sure even the most devoted fan, would agree.
Yes I agree with you. Her advisors were experts for sure! They totally knew what would fit her or not. I think what also made her a 'Style Icon' is the fact that she had the body for it. Most of the clothes suited her perfectly.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Many of the dresses she wore back in the 90s are still in style today.
Which ones do you think women would wear today out of the file at the Sun, for instance?

The only one I think women of the 20 - 30 age group would wear, if they had a good figure is the 'spangly' one titled 'playing hostess 1983. Although I have to say, the poor woman was looking more than a little skeletal in the picture.
In the Sky gallery, the pink suit (No. 7) is very Jackie O, although IMO, the short sleeves spoil it on someone so painfully skeletal. The Mauve shift in pic 11, is again a classic that had been about for years.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Courtier

She really was !

She looked amazing in her last years ..
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Which ones do you think women would wear today out of the file at the Sun, for instance?

The only one I think women of the 20 - 30 age group would wear, if they had a good figure is the 'spangly' one titled 'playing hostess 1983. Although I have to say, the poor woman was looking more than a little skeletal in the picture.
In the Sky gallery, the pink suit (No. 7) is very Jackie O, although IMO, the short sleeves spoil it on someone so painfully skeletal. The Mauve shift in pic 11, is again a classic that had been about for years.
The dresses in the 1994 pic, 1995 pic, 1996 pic, and the 1997 pic.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Commoner

She had style sense. I know that she had some oops styles but were few.
Comparing her with Fergie, Princess Anne or another member of royal family,Diana had a amazing style.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

Another gallery

Sex appeal targato Diana | Sei di Moda
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

She was beautiful, she dressed very well and looked nice in most of her outfits. SOme of her choices, not so hot. Like that teal suit and hat she wore in Italy!! The worst outfit she ever wore--well, that ever wore her.
I love her early style--all romantic, with fuller hair. I never really liked the sleek, sexy Diana. It didn't seem appropriate to me. But, she had style and a warm personality. that's a good combination

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The dresses in the 1994 pic, 1995 pic, 1996 pic, and the 1997 pic.
I couldn't find one for 1994, but from your choices, It is probably a difference in taste possibly between age and/or country. My youngest daughters are within the 22-30 range and although they like the blue strappy dress, they would only wear it on holiday, the red they feel doesn't really show anyones knees to the best advantage. I am relieved to know they do like 1983, with the same comment I made.