Diana - Style Icon of a Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Diana was a style icon we saw her style evolve from this frumpy high collar look to this sleek elegant sexy style she had at the time of her death.

She always will be the queen of style. Never we will be another princess with the carism and magnetism of Diana.

Today's Crown Princesses' can thank Diana for bringing a refreshing change to styles. Sure, Diana had a few OOPS styles, but very few. I think it's going to be quite a while before another Princess will compare to Diana.:wub:

Diana's style has influenced many designers, princesses, and celebrities.

Diana was younger than us, and she didn't influence the way either I or my friends dressed. For most young women of her age, the same type of frock was out of the question, after all one costing £2000+ is almost always going to look better than the £20 copies that were sold in the chain shops.

Contrary to the article, hats were traditional for weddings, christenings, funerals and many society events, it was in the late 1990's that they started going out of fashion and the milliner became harder to find.

I don't think things have changed, even now the media and fashion chains are so busy trying to convince us that this 'look is in', there will always be some who fall for it. The style icons for me all came from the 50/60's.

i agree skydragon, or even before that the fabulous looks in the 30's & 40's when glamour was at it's height. diana was a style icon of her generation, unfortunately alot of that was in the 80's the absolute worst styles(lawd remember shoulder pads and big hair) today might be the new worst with the "hoochie" aspect to alot of stuff out there. what is interesting to me is alot of those outfits Diana wore could be put on today and look classic and fresh. imo her later years were much better than her first years when she seemed to dress "too old" for a young woman and was "trying" too hard- once she hit her stride she was off and running.

Dallas and Dynasty had a lot to answer for, do you remember the awful puffball hemline's! :ROFLMAO:

Classic's were about before Diana though and were the normal attire for a lot of young women in this country. I suppose it all comes down to individual taste's and in Diana's case her advisors, as I am sure even the most devoted fan, would agree. :flowers:

i agree skydragon, or even before that the fabulous looks in the 30's & 40's when glamour was at it's height. diana was a style icon of her generation, unfortunately alot of that was in the 80's the absolute worst styles(lawd remember shoulder pads and big hair) today might be the new worst with the "hoochie" aspect to alot of stuff out there. what is interesting to me is alot of those outfits Diana wore could be put on today and look classic and fresh. imo her later years were much better than her first years when she seemed to dress "too old" for a young woman and was "trying" too hard- once she hit her stride she was off and running.

Your very right bbb compared to women today 20-25 Diana's clothes looked ancient during the early 80s I would say after Harry was born the Princess was developing her own personal style and by the time of her death she came into her own. Many of the dresses she wore back in the 90s are still in style today. IMO Diana was most beautiful during her last year 1997.

Dallas and Dynasty had a lot to answer for, do you remember the awful puffball hemline's! :ROFLMAO:

Classic's were about before Diana though and were the normal attire for a lot of young women in this country. I suppose it all comes down to individual taste's and in Diana's case her advisors, as I am sure even the most devoted fan, would agree. :flowers:

Yes I agree with you. Her advisors were experts for sure! They totally knew what would fit her or not. I think what also made her a 'Style Icon' is the fact that she had the body for it. Most of the clothes suited her perfectly.

Many of the dresses she wore back in the 90s are still in style today.
Which ones do you think women would wear today out of the file at the Sun, for instance?

The only one I think women of the 20 - 30 age group would wear, if they had a good figure is the 'spangly' one titled 'playing hostess 1983. Although I have to say, the poor woman was looking more than a little skeletal in the picture.
In the Sky gallery, the pink suit (No. 7) is very Jackie O, although IMO, the short sleeves spoil it on someone so painfully skeletal. The Mauve shift in pic 11, is again a classic that had been about for years.

She really was !

She looked amazing in her last years ..

Which ones do you think women would wear today out of the file at the Sun, for instance?

The only one I think women of the 20 - 30 age group would wear, if they had a good figure is the 'spangly' one titled 'playing hostess 1983. Although I have to say, the poor woman was looking more than a little skeletal in the picture.
In the Sky gallery, the pink suit (No. 7) is very Jackie O, although IMO, the short sleeves spoil it on someone so painfully skeletal. The Mauve shift in pic 11, is again a classic that had been about for years.

The dresses in the 1994 pic, 1995 pic, 1996 pic, and the 1997 pic.

Last edited:
She had style sense. I know that she had some oops styles but were few.
Comparing her with Fergie, Princess Anne or another member of royal family,Diana had a amazing style.

She was beautiful, she dressed very well and looked nice in most of her outfits. SOme of her choices, not so hot. Like that teal suit and hat she wore in Italy!! The worst outfit she ever wore--well, that ever wore her.
I love her early style--all romantic, with fuller hair. I never really liked the sleek, sexy Diana. It didn't seem appropriate to me. But, she had style and a warm personality. that's a good combination

The dresses in the 1994 pic, 1995 pic, 1996 pic, and the 1997 pic.
I couldn't find one for 1994, but from your choices, It is probably a difference in taste possibly between age and/or country. My youngest daughters are within the 22-30 range and although they like the blue strappy dress, they would only wear it on holiday, the red they feel doesn't really show anyones knees to the best advantage. I am relieved to know they do like 1983, with the same comment I made. :flowers:

Well Ipreferred Diana's later look it was sleek,elegant,sexy, and confident.
The 1983 dress is lovely its vintage so alot of women would wear it. If i'am correct that dress was designed by a japanese designer.

She had style and panache. Her early years were shakey, but as time went on she always looked fabulous. Her figure and lovely face could carry off most any attire. There are those who will nitpick, but no one in the RF can hold a candle to her. Today, had she lived she would be older and her tastes might have changed, but, at 46 she still would be incredible. She was also in the public eye, she was not dressing to go to work in a bank.

She always will be the queen of style. Never we will be another princess with the carism and magnetism of Diana.

Yes you are so right. Even 10 years after with right now so many new princesses there is still left an empty place.

Well Princess Mary is styish but, she has a very cool and inacessible style.
Diana had been always showed warmth.

Diana was the essence of romantic and feminine dressing. She brought back easily flowing florals and launched not only a revolution in clothes but the influences of designers such as Laura Ashley launched products for the home (wall papers, upholstery fabrics, etc.) because of Diana's connection with them.

I think Diana's greatest influence was watching her style evolve and develop over the years as she figured out what best suited her & her duties. Her early 80s looks might look stuffy or overdone now but at the time they were fashionable and fun. I love to see the costumey things she sometimes chose, maybe they were 'ugh' choices but to me they showed she was trying to have a little fun.

Well, I think Diana's wardrobe was fantastic on the whole and she really did capture the perfect ground between Thatcher and Blondie which formed the two ends of the spectrum during the 1980s. As to whether she was a style icon, I'm not sure. To be a style icon, surely one has to put together an iconic look that one becomes known and copied for? I mean, Joan Crawford; with the help of Adrian at MGM, she adopted thick eyebrows, wide lips, huge shoulder pads and a tiny fitted waist. It was a look that was copied by ordinary Americans and therefore makes Joan a style icon. Audrey Hepburn; the skinny leggings, the little black dress, elegance through casual. Again, a look that was popular at the height of her fame but remains truly iconic and therefore, Audrey is a style icon. But Diana? She looked good in what she wore, she chose her fashion well but I don't see her as the style icon we perhaps now credit Kate Moss to be.

Well, I think Diana's wardrobe was fantastic on the whole and she really did capture the perfect ground between Thatcher and Blondie which formed the two ends of the spectrum during the 1980s. As to whether she was a style icon, I'm not sure. To be a style icon, surely one has to put together an iconic look that one becomes known and copied for? I mean, Joan Crawford; with the help of Adrian at MGM, she adopted thick eyebrows, wide lips, huge shoulder pads and a tiny fitted waist. It was a look that was copied by ordinary Americans and therefore makes Joan a style icon. Audrey Hepburn; the skinny leggings, the little black dress, elegance through casual. Again, a look that was popular at the height of her fame but remains truly iconic and therefore, Audrey is a style icon. But Diana? She looked good in what she wore, she chose her fashion well but I don't see her as the style icon we perhaps now credit Kate Moss to be.

I know what you mean BeatrixFan. She didn't have her "proper" style. Diana was marvelous in her gowns and all the clothes she wore but she didn't create a style, a way to dress specific to her. But I admit it's hard to express your own style when you have duties and you can't allow yourself to be too extravagant.

Back
Top Bottom