Diana - Style Icon of a Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm puzzled by Diana being listed as an "unexpected" style icon. She's been at the top of the lists for 30 years now.:ermm: Interesting article, though, gfg02. Thank you.:flowers:

Top Ten Unexpected Style Icons

Well in all fairness some of the early fashion choices were questionable.

I don't believe Diana came into her own until 1986, and hit her stride in the 90's.

There were some odd ones later on as well.:lol: But she certainly had a strong influence on fashion even from the beginning. The "Sloane Ranger" style of dressing became popular in North America because of her influence. I remember seeing knickerbockers when I went to college in 1981. Her style became much more sleek after 85 or so; we started seeing pencil skirts and so on then. I liked her day-wear in the 90s but not so much her evening wear during the 90s.

I don't believe Diana came into her own until 1986, and hit her stride in the 90's.

Are you serious?!:lol:

I loved her evening wear in the 90's. So many classics....so little time.

I date Diana's metamorphosis from the time her marriage hit the rocks. I reckon she probably thought, 'OK, it's now time for me.' And the 'me' package she put together was outstandingly beautiful.

From about 1986 Diana seemed to emerge from the restrained, restricted, frilly, fluffy chrysalis that had enveloped from the time of her engagement, and she emerged a sleek, stunningly beautiful, adult.

Regardless of what I thought of her personality and her motivations and actions, Diana certainly knew how to market herself. She presented as an outstandingly beautiful woman. She knew what hair and makeup and clothing suited her, and she knew how to display herself. Some of the images from the late 80s and early 90s are quite amazing.

For the era, the early fashion choices were not questionable. Everyone was dressing like that.

Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. It just means that there was more than one person looking crazy!

And I can speak of it since I was a teenager in the 80's and wore some fashions that I look back on and just grimace.

Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. It just means that there was more than one person looking crazy!

And I can speak of it since I was a teenager in the 80's and wore some fashions that I look back on and just grimace.

There is definetly a point in your life when you look back at the fashions you wore when you were younger and just shake your head. I'm 21 but I always look back at the clothes I wore pre 2007 and just shake my head. Baggy clothes was in and on its way out then and I remember hating the way I dressed but since everyone else was wearing those styles I did the same. But when i went to Italy in the summer of 07 I had no choice but to change.
I'm sure Diana took a look at her clothes and decided for a change.:)

Oh I agree with you Sirhon :)

I too have outfits that I wouldn't be caught dead in today:ROFLMAO:

But what have always fascinated me with Diana, is the fact that she looked younger in her last year, than in her entire marriage.

I don't know about what it was/is like in Britain, but at least in Scandinavia, it seems that her suits had an impact on officewear. Business women could now dress feminin and conservatively at the same time without looking like men.

Oh I agree with you Sirhon :)

I too have outfits that I wouldn't be caught dead in today:ROFLMAO:

But what have always fascinated me with Diana, is the fact that she looked younger in her last year, than in her entire marriage.

I don't know about what it was/is like in Britain, but at least in Scandinavia, it seems that her suits had an impact on officewear. Business women could now dress feminin and conservatively at the same time without looking like men.

I've been saying that for years especially with the Mario Testino shots she looked younger. There was a glow about her in 97 she looked timeless.

I think its amazing that she inspired trends in Scandinavia, which is also a fashion capital itself.

A caption from one of the photos: "...Diana could make a letterman jacket look chic..." - so true! She always appeared stylish and well-groomed no matter what she wore - “soignée” is the term in my opinion :flowers:

Of course being attractive, tall and slender helps! However, who else in the public eye could have made those 1980's clothes look wonderful? From the mid-1980's, when Diana started to develop her own distinctive style, she was always a fashion leader.

I think she was copied from the beginning. I can remember lambswool sweaters and knickerbockers becoming popular here in 1981, less than a year after Diana was pictured wearing them. The trend for white hose with pumps and longer, gathered skirts was on the go in the summer of 1983, right after her trip to Australia and New Zealand. That feminine, romantic look from the beginning of their engagement was copied, as well as her hairstyle, her high frilly collars and so on. :flowers:

I think she had a dreadful sense of 'style'.
She copied others and took each fad to the extreme.

During the early 80s, she wore the same dress in different patterns.
It was always a dress that buttoned down the front.
I put this down to her vanity. She wanted a dress to slip into after having her hair fixed and makeup applied.

In the 90s she finally started wearing business suits.
She did not start this trend.
Women suits have been around for decades.

She never started a fashion trend. She always copied someone else.

She mixed fads with horrible results.
The very large ruffles, clown collars and a mixture of patterns all in one outfit.

I think she had a dreadful sense of 'style'.
She copied others and took each fad to the extreme.

During the early 80s, she wore the same dress in different patterns.
It was always a dress that buttoned down the front.
I put this down to her vanity. She wanted a dress to slip into after having her hair fixed and makeup applied.

In the 90s she finally started wearing business suits.
She did not start this trend.
Women suits have been around for decades.

She never started a fashion trend. She always copied someone else.

She mixed fads with horrible results.
The very large ruffles, clown collars and a mixture of patterns all in one outfit.
Starting a fashion trend is not necessarily something to be striving for. Diana was definitively the woman we all looked to for her splendid style. Besides being a beautiful woman she also dressed with style and flair. There really was not anyone else during her time that could even match her wardrobe. Her only match when it came to evening clothes was Queen Silvia.

And Diana had a beautiful heart. That's the most important thing. Why be so critical of her beautiful ( IMO) style?

Starting a fashion trend is not necessarily something to be striving for. Diana was definitively the woman we all looked to for her splendid style. Besides being a beautiful woman she also dressed with style and flair. There really was not anyone else during her time that could even match her wardrobe. Her only match when it came to evening clothes was Queen Silvia.

Very few people looked to Diana for her 'style'. She was not a beautiful woman nor did she dress with style or flair.

She had no style. Her daytime clothes were dreadful and no one copied them. Her evening clothes were dreadful and no one bothered to copy her.

Her taste was horrible. Her lack of fashion sense was commented on by her sister Sarah's roomate.

Her lack of taste is evident in the way Highgrove and Kensingston Palace were decorated.

The mix of bold colors and patterns was not a style that was copied.

Her style before her marriage was dreadful. Her wedding dress was her over the top 'style'.

She always competitive wanted the biggest and boldest of things.
She took the largest engagement ring and followed it up by the longest, wedding dress train.

Very few people looked to Diana for her 'style'. She was not a beautiful woman nor did she dress with style or flair.

She had no style. Her daytime clothes were dreadful and no one copied them. Her evening clothes were dreadful and no one bothered to copy her.

Her taste was horrible. Her lack of fashion sense was commented on by her sister Sarah's roomate.

Her lack of taste is evident in the way Highgrove and Kensingston Palace were decorated.

Her style before her marriage was dreadful. Her wedding dress was her over the top 'style'.

She took the largest engagement ring and followed it up by the longest, wedding dress train.

Is there anything you actually liked on her?

Diana's style was very much copied. Her fashion later on, took the world by storm. Royal ladies today probably still feel inspired by Diana's fashion.

No one copied Diana.

A measure of her popularity can be determine by the number of babies named Diana. There was not a surge in the name. Not when she joined the royal family and while she was a member of the royal family and not when she died.

There are no examples of others copying Diana.

Diana, POW (r.i.p) was a trend setter, from hair cuts to clothing if my memory serves me correctly. She her also deceased and we have a saying in Ireland ' never speak ill of the dead'. I believe she is remembered for her work ethic and her commitment to others more than her clothing and that is a wonderful thing.

Prince Charles started in their engagement interview that one of the things that attracted him to Diana was that she had a very good idea of 'style and design.' Everything I saw about the interior of her homes was beautiful. No doubt designers and her friends at Vogue gave her advice, and everyone goes through a period of learning their own style. I remember her appearance as being charming at the time. Everything was overdone in the early 80s. Hair was big, dresses were big. There were the 'New Romantics' who influenced fashion through their music videos. Diana might have followed the trend that the designers were putting out then, but I know that the ladies' wear stores, the fashion magazines, and our own wardrobes were definitely influenced by the young Princess of Wales.:)

No one copied Diana.

A measure of her popularity can be determine by the number of babies named Diana. There was not a surge in the name. Not when she joined the royal family and while she was a member of the royal family and not when she died.

There are no examples of others copying Diana.

i was tempted not to reply and just ignore as obviously you are not a fan. but "No one copied Diana" - really?

Diana's impact on the British fashion industry was much heralded - and her style was copied around the world. I lived through it and I have all the magazines ... and the friends who had to have the 'lady di' cut.

The following are excerpts from the book, 'Diana, fashion & style'

'Few people have had an impact on fashion in the same way as Princess Diana. As a public figure, the Princess's dress style was closely scrutinised by the press and the public. As a young princess, her clothes were romantic and demure but as her confidence grew, her style developed into that of an international celebrity: glamorous, elegant, and completely her own.'

'For Diana, clothes were part of a charisma captured in the camera eye. But the process became increasingly thought-out and planned as the Princess took control of how she was represented.'

'Diana, Princess of Wales, has often been called a ‘fashion icon’ and has been credited with almost single-handedly reviving the British fashion industry…Susan Maxwell, who brought out an illustrated biography of the Princess of Wales as early as 1982, declared: ‘For the first time, the Royal Family had in their ranks a woman whose age, size, coiffure and taste reflected the mass of the market. Because she was beautiful, others wanted too look like her’.'

'Diana’s early admirers and enterprising retailers focused on the fashion features that were easy to replicate. In an article in Time magazine in August 1981, it was reported that Lady Diana was ‘already imitated – the hair, the clothes, the ruffled collars – but never duplicated’ and Jane Owen remembered two years later that ‘Lady Di’ blouses ‘run up by the mass market were selling like hot cakes’. The British department store Marks & Spencer sold many of these replicas and brought out their own Diana fashion book in 1984. Lyn Morris, Senior Selector for Marks & Spencer ladies’ blouses, recalled: ‘As soon as Diana did that engagement picture, our fastest selling style was a side-tying Diana blouse’ sold at £9.99.''

- See more at: Discover More About Princess Diana's Standing As A Fashion Icon

Compare Princess Caroline to Diana.

Princess Caroline clothes were tailored.
Diana had clothes custom made that were matronly.

Diana's maternity clothes were just sacks.
Princess Caroline was pregnant during the 80s and her clothes did not have the ridiculous bows.

Princess Caroline is wearing a white shirt and jacket in 1971. She was only 14

The Prince Albert and Princess Caroline of Monaco receive gifts after... News Photo | Getty Images

Here is Stephanie and Caroline in 1983.
Monte Carlo Tennis Tournament In Monte Carlo, Monaco On March 30,... News Photo | Getty Images

Note Stephanie is wearing a business suit under her coat. Stephanie was 4 years younger than Diana. In 1983 she 18.

Diana had a dreadful sense of style.
Her supporters try to blame the decade but clearly other knew how to dress.

I sure copied Diana in the 80's! I was the same height and very slim. I couldn't get enough of the Laura Ashley prints and ruffled collar blouses.

Later in the early 90's she inspired me to buy and wear double breasted coat dresses. I loved them! I still have two.. a black one and a hunter green plaid.

I didn't look nearly as sensational as she did however. Diana looked spectacular most of the time and the fashion establishment at that time.. British and American Vogue, VF International Best Dressed Committee, Anita Wintour...all concurred.

To really doubt the impact of Diana's style (whether one liked it or not) is, I think a bit silly. I think anyone who was alive during that era - or anyone who has any interest in fashion - would be aware of it. I also think sometimes people say things that are quite obviously untrue because they like to stir people up and watch how they react.

I lived through the 80s and 90s and I did not wear any of the ridiculous outfits Diana wore.

I shopped at stores that only sold classic clothes.

The hair salons never featured a Diana hairstyle.

Some people are confusing fads with fashion.

A classic style never goes out of fashion.

The Madonna fad of wearing a brassiere over a blouse was not a fashion trend I followed.

If some people wanted to follow Madonna's fashion style they did but most did not.

Madonna was a bigger fashion icon than Diana.

The Princesses of Monaco were in the public eye since they were children and had a mother living in with them to teach them how to dress.

Diana had to learn to dress for the camera all of a sudden in 1980. From pictures I've seen of that era, she dressed very much like her peers until her engagement.

Princess Caroline is wearing a white shirt and jacket in 1971. She was only 14

The Prince Albert and Princess Caroline of Monaco receive gifts after... News Photo | Getty Images

Here is Stephanie and Caroline in 1983.
Monte Carlo Tennis Tournament In Monte Carlo, Monaco On March 30,... News Photo | Getty Images

Note Stephanie is wearing a business suit under her coat. Stephanie was 4 years younger than Diana. In 1983 she 18.

Diana had a dreadful sense of style.
Her supporters try to blame the decade but clearly other knew how to dress.

Back
Top Bottom