The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well Ipreferred Diana's later look it was sleek,elegant,sexy, and confident.
The 1983 dress is lovely its vintage so alot of women would wear it. If i'am correct that dress was designed by a japanese designer.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

more

Diana's Dresses
Princess Diana's Suits
Princess Diana's Hats Gallery

Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

She had style and panache. Her early years were shakey, but as time went on she always looked fabulous. Her figure and lovely face could carry off most any attire. There are those who will nitpick, but no one in the RF can hold a candle to her. Today, had she lived she would be older and her tastes might have changed, but, at 46 she still would be incredible. She was also in the public eye, she was not dressing to go to work in a bank.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

Dresses auction at Christie's - June, 1997

Princess Diana Remembered - Princess Diana Tenth Anniversary - Princess Diana Christie's Auction dresses - Page: 1 of 1
Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima_gudzzye View Post
She always will be the queen of style. Never we will be another princess with the carism and magnetism of Diana.

Yes you are so right. Even 10 years after with right now so many new princesses there is still left an empty place.

Well Princess Mary is styish but, she has a very cool and inacessible style.
Diana had been always showed warmth.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Nobility

Diana was the essence of romantic and feminine dressing. She brought back easily flowing florals and launched not only a revolution in clothes but the influences of designers such as Laura Ashley launched products for the home (wall papers, upholstery fabrics, etc.) because of Diana's connection with them.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM

I think Diana's greatest influence was watching her style evolve and develop over the years as she figured out what best suited her & her duties. Her early 80s looks might look stuffy or overdone now but at the time they were fashionable and fun. I love to see the costumey things she sometimes chose, maybe they were 'ugh' choices but to me they showed she was trying to have a little fun.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Her Fashion Evolution

Diana, Style Icon, How Her Look Changed Over The Years - The ShowBuzz

Get Diana’s look

CANOE - Lifewise Beauty - Ask Ivana: Get Diana’s look
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Well, I think Diana's wardrobe was fantastic on the whole and she really did capture the perfect ground between Thatcher and Blondie which formed the two ends of the spectrum during the 1980s. As to whether she was a style icon, I'm not sure. To be a style icon, surely one has to put together an iconic look that one becomes known and copied for? I mean, Joan Crawford; with the help of Adrian at MGM, she adopted thick eyebrows, wide lips, huge shoulder pads and a tiny fitted waist. It was a look that was copied by ordinary Americans and therefore makes Joan a style icon. Audrey Hepburn; the skinny leggings, the little black dress, elegance through casual. Again, a look that was popular at the height of her fame but remains truly iconic and therefore, Audrey is a style icon. But Diana? She looked good in what she wore, she chose her fashion well but I don't see her as the style icon we perhaps now credit Kate Moss to be.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, I think Diana's wardrobe was fantastic on the whole and she really did capture the perfect ground between Thatcher and Blondie which formed the two ends of the spectrum during the 1980s. As to whether she was a style icon, I'm not sure. To be a style icon, surely one has to put together an iconic look that one becomes known and copied for? I mean, Joan Crawford; with the help of Adrian at MGM, she adopted thick eyebrows, wide lips, huge shoulder pads and a tiny fitted waist. It was a look that was copied by ordinary Americans and therefore makes Joan a style icon. Audrey Hepburn; the skinny leggings, the little black dress, elegance through casual. Again, a look that was popular at the height of her fame but remains truly iconic and therefore, Audrey is a style icon. But Diana? She looked good in what she wore, she chose her fashion well but I don't see her as the style icon we perhaps now credit Kate Moss to be.
I know what you mean BeatrixFan. She didn't have her "proper" style. Diana was marvelous in her gowns and all the clothes she wore but she didn't create a style, a way to dress specific to her. But I admit it's hard to express your own style when you have duties and you can't allow yourself to be too extravagant.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 PM

I think it's interesting because there's no doubt that parts of her look were extremely stylish but I don't think it ever caught on. Maybe the hair style did to an extent but I think that takes us into a whole different realm that isn't fashion and is just style and I think when people describe Diana as a style icon, they mean fashion.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is Kate Moss really a fashion icon? The only time I've ever heard of her was when she got cought sniffing cocaine.

But I do agree that Diana looked great in her gowns but she didn't create a style.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Well, Kate Moss is (strangely) a fashion icon. She's made Primark acceptable to the well off and has made one look popular. For example, she wears skinny jeans with dresses - well, you see that look everywhere in Britain now. So that to me makes her a fashion icon because she's invented a look which is mass re-produced by women keen to look like her. I don't think people did that with Diana though some of her outfits are more famous than others. For example, I quite like the outfit in the high collar white gown portrait. I think it's classic whilst also being slightly futuristic. Simple but elegant - and that's hard to pull off in plain white. But does that make her a style icon? I think we're all agreed it doesn't!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah. But does Kate Moss is always elegant and classy ? not IMO. Even if Diana didn't create a style, she was gorgeous and never provocative in her way of dressing.

Because it matters...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Well yes but the two were very different. Kate Moss is dressing as a celebrity and as a young woman trying to attract male attention. She doesn't have to be elegant and classy whereas Diana had to dress as befits a member of the Royal Family - though some of the outfits Diana wore were quite provocative.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well yes but the two were very different. Kate Moss is dressing as a celebrity and as a young woman trying to attract male attention. She doesn't have to be elegant and classy whereas Diana had to dress as befits a member of the Royal Family - though some of the outfits Diana wore were quite provocative.
Yes of course, we can't compare them. What outfits are you refering to ?

Because it matters...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 PM

I'm not an expert on names for the outfits but that black one she wore with the slicked hair. Or was it blue? With the big slit up the side.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Was it this dress
Google Image Result for http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/73399228.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933FA8F346F76FEEAF3AE019C21CE320D2284831B75F48EF45

copyright ViewImages
Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 PM

I think so. It may have been a black sparkly one. I just remember the slit up the side showing alot of leg.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think its this one
Google Image Result for http://z.about.com/d/fashion/1/7/2/q/2/774490_10.jpg