Charlene Wittstock's Wedding Dress: Civil and Church Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw her walking down the aisle is just said WOW. Wedding dress is amazing, suits P Charlene a lot. Yes, is similar to Victoria's but also classical and timeless. I love shade of white, cut and details on the dress and train. Pity than at the wedding no one too up the train, two trains looked strange on some photos.
On the plus - veil, hairstyle and gorgeous hair jewelery.

Second dress was nice, lighter, more comfortable. This style seems to be favorite by Charlene. I love how this gown sparkled, especially layers on the skirt.

I think the trains looked beautiful when she was at the altar, but when she was turning I thought they looked odd; I think the bottom train was shorter and it didn't flow right. But when she was standing still, it looked great.

Charlene wedding dress is very pretty.It suited her body type.
Everything looked perfect:dress, veil,hairdo ,make-up,delicate embroideries...
The diamonds in her hair looked so fabulous and so original.
She was gorgeous and in my opinion much much better than Catherine.
I am out of topic but I adored the fact that the bridesmaids were chosen among the population:Monaco and neighbouring french towns.What a nice gesture and a nice souvenir for those little girls.

I liked her civil wedding dress.Without the jacket,the dress was very feminine for the evening festivities .
The jacket gave the dress a classical touch suitable for a formal civil wedding

2nd train

I just loved Charlenes's dress; I thought everything about her was so elegant. And what a stunning dress and tiara she wore afterwards. Perfect!

I am curious though, at what point in the ceremony did she detach the upper train? I was watching the wedding here and there while I did my chores but I must have missed that part.

She looked stunning in both outfits. If that is what your grandmom would have worn, it is because she has good taste. Something rare in today's youth.

AMEN, COUNTESS! All grandmas should have taste like that...Charlene was a magnificent bride in every way! :whistling:

I am curious though, at what point in the ceremony did she detach the upper train? I was watching the wedding here and there while I did my chores but I must have missed that part.

Do you mean at what moment the veil was raised (in case one can say so ;))? Prince Albert did so when it was
time for the religious peace greetings during the ceremony. He then kissed her and the guests kissed and greeted
each other.

I just loved Charlenes's dress; I thought everything about her was so elegant. And what a stunning dress and tiara she wore afterwards. Perfect!

It must have been after the had signed the Wedding Register in the Palace Chapel. Then they where out of the Cameras for a short moment and when they left the Chapel they longer train was removed.

:previous:

I see, that train was meant, not the veil I've meant, the "upper" seems to have confused me..;)

I must admit I'm totally bemused about the train/veil - or veils/trains ...??

Is this Armani's way of introducing a new fashion?

The main train was detached when they entered the Palace Chapel because by the time they got to the alter to sign the register it was gone!

Last edited:
The train wasn't gone, it was still there but the bridesmaid did a horrible job and never put the train good so that it would be open and wide behind the bride... I also think the fabric of the dress and the fabric of the carpet didn't work good together.

In the beginning of the ceremony you also see that witness Donatella wants to arrange the shorter train (bottom of the dress) behind Charlene but that the bridesmaid allready put down the longer train (emerging from the shoulder part). I think that's the reason the 2 trains looked so oddly arranged.

The veil was lifted by Charlene herself when giving peace (kissing Albert). Normally it's done after they exchange rings, but I suppose they forgot.

IMO there was something ethereal about PC under that veil. I watched the wedding live as I did with Kate Middleton but there was something a bit more special about this one. When I saw Kate I thought how lovely the dress was, although I don't like any bride with hair hanging down. It was so pretty and romantic. BUT, when I saw Charlene I was knocked sideways and maybe this is what other posters on the forum are getting at. Charlene was so lovely that she seemed to be beyond lovley, she was breathtaking. Did anyone else see it that way?

BTW I am only two years older than PC and I had the same pre-wedding pics taken on my wedding day, it's all part of the fun! Yes it's a Royal Wedding but on a human level the bride is having some pampering with her girlfriends like any bride and I don't see any harm.

Last edited:
Sparkling Headpiece

Some of my favourite things about a Royal Wedding is admiring the Jewels!
I adored the understated elegance of the lovely diamond headpiece in Princess Charlene's hair, very romantic, pretty & "Royal-looking" = good choice! :)

At first I did'nt like her dress but then it really did grow on me!I love the neckline and the details on her dress.I love the gown,even if it took a couple of days to love it!

I have to say that all throughout this wedding celebration, it is her total look at the brunch the day after the wedding that I find most beautiful.

The cut of the gown is very flattering -- she really looks feminine and totally captures her form without emphasizing her broad shoulders. This style would have been perfect I think for the wedding dinner/banquet. And that new tiara/headpiece would have stood out more with this hair because the diamonds would have been more emphasized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Charlene was absolutely stunning at the religious ceremony. That dress was superb and the veil with the brooches in her hair could not have been any more gorgeous. Ah, Armani is a master. Loved, loved , loved the trains - I see I'm in the minority there, but I thought they provided drama and also added a unique touch to her dress.

Best of all, she didn't look like anyone else! I see some people find a resemblance to CP Victoria, but barring an off the shoulder neckline, I just don't see it, myself.

Charlene looked original, yet traditional - and this is going in the top two of my favourite royal wedding gowns. We won't be seeing too many high street knock offs of this one - too difficult with the double train! And the embroidery! The brooches in her hair were magnificent, too.

I think they looked very much in love.

As for the civil ceremony - the less said about that outfit, the better. LOL! But at least she made up for it the next day!

The train wasn't gone, it was still there but the bridesmaid did a horrible job and never put the train good so that it would be open and wide behind the bride... I also think the fabric of the dress and the fabric of the carpet didn't work good together.

The train from her back collar was removed at some point because you can see in a comparison with this picture before the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures and this picture after the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures.

I bet she was glad to have that big train removed. That looked heavy!

It was very wise of Charlene to avoid wearing anything similar to Pr. Grace's wedding dress. I thouhgt her dress was magnificant and had enough details on it to make it original and special. Armani did a good job!

In the beginning of the ceremony you also see that witness Donatella wants to arrange the shorter train (bottom of the dress) behind Charlene but that the bridesmaid allready put down the longer train (emerging from the shoulder part). I think that's the reason the 2 trains looked so oddly arranged.

The veil was lifted by Charlene herself when giving peace (kissing Albert). Normally it's done after they exchange rings, but I suppose they forgot.

I could be very wrong, but after reviewing the video of the bridesmaids rearranging Charlene's trains at the end of the procession to the altar, I believe they kept them separate deliberately, so that the embroidery could be seen and catch the light on the diamonds. However, Charlene certainly could have used some more help from them before the recessional; it looked like she had to give a big "pull" from her shoulders to manoeuvre them into place. Again, I have to say I just loved the effect given by the double trains and it made the dress uniquely Charlene's; the worst thing she could have done would have been to emulate Princess Grace - very few ladies possess the extraordinary beauty of that much missed Princess of Monaco, although Charlene is certainly a gorgeous and elegant woman. (Still don't know what she was thinking with the "outfit" for the civil ceremony and the events that evening; it was neither a suit, nor a gown - and it had too many lingerie type elements that just added to the confusion, although the colour was lovely and suited her. But it was just too many competing "looks" that cancelled each other out, IMHO.)

But like others posting, I love her religious ceremony gown more every time I see it; and I had an extremely high opinion of the whole ensemble from first glance. I just adore her natural, simple use of cosmetics (no panda eyes a la Duchess of Cambridge :bang:) and I think Charlene's use of Princess Caroline's brooches in her chignon to anchor her veil was original, superb, and elegant. MUCH more interesting than the usual tiara, but every bit as regal.

Unlike others, I don't particularly care for her second dress for the night festivities after the religious ceremony; I thought that neckline DID over-emphasise her broad shoulders and muscular upper arms and I agree it was the perfect opportunity to wear that amazing tiara that I am dying to see!

Does anyone have a link to a photograph of Charlene's new tiara? It sounds incredible, and I would be most grateful for any help in this regard. :flowers:

Last edited:
Thank you for that photo. It really shows the jewelling of the Princess' gown. It is really beautiful ...such teeny-tiny application.

Because of her demeanor and reverence at her wedding, she will remember every moment of their religious ceremony. It is a solmn event. They can "let loose" later at the party. A wedding ceremony is not a party.

I do not agree. A wedding is a joyous event and I've seen plenty of vids and pics of other royal couples around the world whose religious service doesn't dampen their happy looks of love. Albert and his "runaway" bride look like something's not quite right, and nothing will convince me otherwise. No one enjoys kissing with eyes OPEN! :whistling:

The diamond hair clip she wore for her wedding was beautiful but I couldnt help thinking as she turned her head that the points could really bite into her neck if she wasn't careful.

Charlene was such a beautiful and ethereal looking bride. I love this photo: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LS22T1-jX...leneWeddingGownFrontView--Reuters-Daylife.jpg
I thought it was sweet that she wept a bit at her wedding. Most brides do!

BTW I just realized that was the first time we ever saw her father. Unlike the Middletons who constantly keep themselves in the press I respect Charlene's family for staying out of the limelight and not even giving an engagement interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom