Charlene Wittstock's Wedding Dress: Civil and Church Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the evening dress, but I think it would have been better if she would have worn that to the Red Cross Ball and kept her wedding dress on (without the train).

sm1939 You're right - I didn't see it at first, but Armani didn't do her any favours by adding that huuuge back end. But then he is not a man.

the type of train that extended from her shoulders is what is known as a watteau neckline- and while it is a very old style- it also enjoyed quite a revivial in the 1950's ( during Princess Grace's day.....
Honestly, I think it is one of the most elegant necklines ever, and I thought I would never see it again. But, arguably, when you attach 5.5 M of heavy silk to your shoulder blade area ( even Princess Charlene's well trained swimmers shoulders!) you'll likely have a major tug on your hand.
The under train was gorgeous as well, and I thought the whole effect was lovely, but obviously it was all in all , a bit too much weight to be pulling around!
I think it is a horrible shame that they didin't fix the undertrain beneath the longer train properly for the ceremony( thus all the photo's look as if she has some short odd dress appendage out there on her left.
And additionally it was a realy shame that they didn't properly arrange her train for the recessional.....
bummer....
It did remind me quite a bit of that terribly dull dress of Princess Victoria's in the front, but with Armani doing it, it at least created quite a fair amount of panache all in all.....

I liked the evening dress, but I think it would have been better if she would have worn that to the Red Cross Ball and kept her wedding dress on (without the train).

and I am with you on that one.....really!...Her evening dress was really not quite up to snuff, I didn't think,either.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlene was a stunning bride. I loved her gown - so simple and yet so elegant. I especially loved the veil. Her hair was also nice- and the jewelry in her hair was simply gorgeous. :flowers:

Her wedding dress was stunning. I'm not a particular fan of poofy skirts ala Sissi so this was more up my alley personally. The shoulder part was a good call on Armani. Charlene doesn't look too well in strapless and lace sleeves would have all the comparisons going.

The bottom part was some fine craftmanship aswell, and the veil and the headpiece was stunning. She's my number one now when it comes to Royal weddings.

[edit] Oh and can I just add that Princess Charlene's make-up was perfection. Now I'm going to compare but Kate's make-up and especially the overdose of blush and eye-liner made for a harsher look. You can definetly see that Charlene's make-up was done by a pro, not by herself. Or she is a pro herself and does a fine job at it.

Last edited:
You can't really compare the teint and make-up of a dark-haired woman with that of a blonde.

Empress Merel is right about the overall craftsmanship of the "confection" that is Charlène.

She did get a tiara, one of the most magnificent ones in recent memory...but for some unfathomable reason has chosen not to wear it tonight. :bang::bang:

Gee! I would like to see this. Maybe it is better out of sight (and out of mind).
The dress was appropriate for the bride but I am disappointed with both royal brides this year as none of them has come up with the WOW factor (my opinion only). But her attendant should have been on hand to control her trains as the princely couple left after the wedding (she was very visible during the ceremony and the signing of the marriage document - trying to do a Pippa but was nowhere to be found during this bridal procession). Charlene had to whack it back into place when it veered off the carpet as they rounded a corner. A good thing she is an athlete and had strong shoulders.

I loved the wedding gown. Charlene managed to put her own stamp on it; it was really very her. I liked the color and above-the-waist look for the civil ceremony very much, but those palazzo pants... uhm, no. Her evening gown for the banquet was also too simple, IMO. But throughout the past few days she looked gorgeous. Flawless hair and makeup, beautiful composure.

I loved the whole ensemble - jacket or no jacket. And a lovely colour.

The shoulders of the gown didn't suit her already broad at the top frame. Still I guess all that matters is that she chose it and was happy with it. It was very ordinary but not unattractive. The guests did look unhappy but she looked marginally pleased and even Albert smiled a bit.
I said the same thing, Marie! That style made her look like a linebacker, and it really didn't fit that well. I think she'd have looked better in a halter or v-neck, something that wouldn't accentuate her shoulders so much.

I thought for sure that was exactly what she was going to do...but I thought her dinner gown was exquisite...I was just disappointed with the way she accessorized it...she should have worn diamond earrings, and her new Ocean Tiara. :ermm:

Charlene's wedding dress definitely reminded me of Princess Victoria of Sweden's dress, with the similar neckline and colour. I thought the whole look was beautiful, especially the diamond hair embellishment she had in place of a tiara. She most definitely has the stature to carry off such a long train too! Her sense of style has clearly evolved very much through the years since she first met Prince Albert, similar to the way Catherine's did during her relationship with William in my opinion.

Charlene's wedding dress is #2 after Catherine's. I hope Zara wears a similiar design.

The dress did nothing for me, and I agree that it made her look overly broad through the shoulders - as if that was the design, which made her head look small and narrow. Maybe that's her aesthetic, though. If so, then she accomplished her look.

It certainly is a shade of white that can only be worn well by women with her coloring, but it accentuated her husband's difference in coloring (from her) and the relative ruddiness of his skin. His creamy white went well with his coloring.

And it is a shame she didn't wear her new tiara - maybe she was afraid she'd lose it (j/k).

I would be.

I loved the dress and dare I say I liked it more then Kates. Her hair was just lovely with that diamond detailing it was stunning. Her makeup was so lovely and she looked beautiful. My only complaint as such is the top part of the dress looks a little lacking to the bottom! Also the two trains was a bit much but I liked the fact there was a long one it suited the occassion and venue. It has sparkle which sadly Kate's lacked! Not sure why Albert was in white I'm not into men wearing white it looks odd to me. I see some happy moments there and I hope they have a long and happy marriage. I guess they don't have the same keeping your shoulders covered rule at the do in the UK church?

UK churches don't have that rule, I am British and have been to many weddings, a lot of brides have strapless dresses.

I think it is a horrible shame that they didin't fix the undertrain beneath the longer train properly for the ceremony( thus all the photo's look as if she has some short odd dress appendage out there on her left.
And additionally it was a realy shame that they didn't properly arrange her train for the recessional.....
bummer....

At first I also thought that the way the 2 trains were arranged during the ceremony was very odd, but then after viewing some good-quality pictures, I realised that had the undertrain been put under the main train properly, we would have missed all the superb embroidery detailing on it... Quite a shame, wouldn't that be? Hence they had no other choice as to place the shorter train slightly to the side, so it could be seen. Just my 2 cents...

Charlene's wedding dress is #2 after Catherine's. I hope Zara wears a similiar design.

Hmm, Charlene married the Prince of the Principality and Catherine married the heir's heir. Although I did not like Charlene's dress I would think it would be better suited for Zara who is the grandaughter of the Queen, the future niece of a King and a future cousin of a King. Nothing too grand like Grace Kelly etc. Yet still I hope Zara does better than Charlene's dress.
BTW whatever fabric Charlene used was beautiful. The color was pretty and it looked so soft that I wanted to lay my head on her lap.

Last edited:
Zara is poetry on horseback, but her sense of fashion is underwhelming and I am being polite.

This is a young woman who posed for her engagement photos with chipped, dirty fingernails. :ohmy:

If she chose a bridal gown as stunning as Charlene or Catherine's I would faint from the shock of it...I do not have high hopes at all, in other words. :sad:

Last edited:
I believe Zara's "engagement photos" as they are considered were taken the day after the announcement after she had done her work in the stables. She is a private citizen and didn't release official engagement portaits. I think the press caught her on the cuff so to speak, so I wouldn't hold her fingernails against. At least I don't.

I believe that Charlene's wedding dresses (all of them) were lovely.

Sorry not a fan of either outfit. The colours of the civil service outfit are both beautiful, but too alike to be put together. I like that outfit without the jacket, but I don;t think it is appropriate for a civil wedding service. Similarly the wedding dress is interesting - classic and elegant, but not something for a royal bride, particularly when she is following in the footsteps of Princess Grace and her extraordinary wedding dress.

But please could the poor girl look happy, she looks so sad and lonely - I do hope it gets better for her, but one wonders if it will

I don't know where to put this. But is it correct to call the headpiece, Albert made for Charlene a tiara? It looks more like a diadem.

Two Misses

I have to say both of Charlene's wedding outfits were misses for me. I thought that the Civil outfit looked matronly, though the colour was beautiful. The trains on the religious gown looked awkward and killed the whole thing for me. I do think that her hair looked amazing and the headpiece was beyond stunning.
All in all, the only thing she wore during the whole weekend that I liked was the gown for the ball afterward. I do wish that she had broken out the new tiara for the event or at least left the wedding headpiece on.

:previous: I thought that Charlene looked exquisite in her not quite off the sholder wedding dress. The colour of the Duchess Satin was fabulous and really highlighted her delicate colouring while the embroidery and beadwork really were works of art.

The fabulous arrangement of Princess Caroline's brooches as Charlene's very sentimental "something old or borrowed" made for the most beautiful and original aigrette, wedding tiara or veil anchor I have ever seen (up to and including all the Crown Princesses and a Duchess or two), whilst the fine film of her veil accentuated her natural beauty (oh how I loved the no eyeliner look) and the colour of her eyes.

I loved her evening gown for the ball and the debute of her aigrette or, "The Diamond Foam Tiara" as it is now called, was a stroke of genius. No comparisons, either positive or negative, could be made between her and any previous royal bride so different was it from the current "norm".

On a different note, Princess Caroline's lending of the brooches underscored her support for her new sister-in-law although much was made of her lack of warmth or happiness at the wedding. Perhaps she was just plauged by unhappy memories or current regrets. Whatever, we'll never know, but she did her brother more than proud on his wedding day.

Last edited:
MYROYALS: PR

Photo spread of Charlene prepping for her big day.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TDT9o2PU-...18156495.jpg_article_gallery_slideshow_v2.jpg
This one of her in her civil wedding outift - are we glimpsing a royal dressing room in the background:ohmy:? If so, I'm salivating and taking notes!:lol:

I think I read that she got ready at L'Hermitage Hotel...I am sure the Princess's own dressing room is just as elaborate if not more so.

But...I am not certain I want to see photos of a Princess bride getting ready for her wedding like some mall rat down the street, or my cousin or something.

It just doesn't feel like the right thing to do. :sad:

I could not believe taht the civil wedding outfit was Chanel!!! It reminds so much Armani style! He has always had these kind of evening pants. Anyway it was pretty, but I migh have chosen a robe-manteau style!

The religious wedding dress was magnificent!

Zara is poetry on horseback, but her sense of fashion is underwhelming and I am being polite.

This is a young woman who posed for her engagement photos with chipped, dirty fingernails. :ohmy:

If she chose a bridal gown as stunning as Charlene or Catherine's I would faint from the shock of it...I do not have high hopes at all, in other words. :sad:
You made me spill my coffee :ROFLMAO:!
I think we'll still be able to recognize good ol' Zara on her wedding day, and I'll say 'good on her'. She'll pick a wedding dress that reflects her own style and preferences. It certainly won't be too princessly, but she'll be herself.

As for Charlene, I'm not sure if she's so much herself anymore. She's gone through a thorough make-over in order to become a princess.
I loved her head, meaning make-up, hairstyle, the floral diamond ornament and veil were stunnig, lovely, exquisite, perfect....
The dress wasn't bad, but not my favourite. To me the two trains looked odd when arranged around her at the altar. Also they didn't move well together when walking. The colour was too harsh, I think think a softer tone like Albert's uniform would have been better.

Many thanks to all who have posted photos. The only ones I have seen did not appear very flattering ( the bride in tears !!!), so it has been great to see some better ones. I thought the detail on the bottom and front of the dress was stunning , but then I am an embroiderer !

As the topic of this thread is Charlene's wedding dresses, please note that off topic posts regarding plastic surgery have been deleted as off topic. As they will in the future with no warnings.

We've been down this road before....its the elephant in the room that is not discussed for those who are not Monaco regulars.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

I think Charlene looked lovely both days. We must remember that every bride gets to choose what she wants, not what someone else thinks she should have. I hope she finds much happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom