The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by carolina@Jan 4th, 2004 - 2:59 pm
This is a fun topic, and I can't believe I'm about to say anything about these women dress but...

I know!!! Me too!! Oh well, as long as it is in good fun and doesn't get nasty.

Sean.~

Old 01-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:22 pm
Oh, what fun...

Well, about Mette-Marit's hair, if anyone's read the book about her? She had hair the colour of Marius' when she was younger, but then it turned browner when she was in her teens (I'm not sure if that was the colouring or if she's colouring it now.) At least in those pictures I saw.

It's nice that she's casual, but there's a difference between when she's representing, and in her spare time. So far she looks good when she's representing.

A point has already been made about "stormannsgalskap" ie. thinking you're better than you are. The Jante law lives on in Norway. It created an uproar when she bought clothes in New York. But what most newspapers neglected to tell was that her clothing before wasn't something you'd represent in... Using frugality is a must when she continues however.
"stormannsgalskap". Sorry if I got the spelling wrong. I know for a fact that Queen Sonja is often referred to as such my many Norwegians. I wouldn't want MM to have to suffer the same consequences.

Sean.~

Old 01-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

What I think I like most about the way Mette-Marit and Maxima dress is that it reflects their personalities.

Mette-Marit's casual, laid-back look shows how natural and unpretentious she is. She wears very little make up (or if she wears a lot it looks very natural and subtle) and has a general un-fussy attitude about her. The mustard-yellow boots she wears now and then are a bit much but I've only seen her wear them on her royal duties once or twice; the other times she's worn them to private parties which you can't fault her for.

Maxima's clothes are very bright and vibrant -- an apt reflection of Maxima whom I perceive as to be very personable and cheery. I love that she chooses vibrant shades of red and fuschia for some of her suits. There is even one event where I saw her wearing red pants with a Pucci-esque print jacket that a lot of people abhorred, but I actually liked it. And I don't mind Maxima's long hair so much. I think it looks good on her. It may not be so practical now that she's got a little one to take care of but it looks good on her.

And some have mentioned Princess Anne getting a new do; I would like Infanta Elena to do the same. This is going to sound so harsh, but I think she needs to get rid of the flyaway strands at the front of her face and not wear her hear in a braid or low/flat ponytail anymore. I know she has (what seems like) very thick hair, but a good hairdresser could come up with a good and more appealing solution for her hair.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is Maxima's Pucci-esque jacket that I liked but others vehemently abhorred:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pucci.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	34157  
Old 01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
"stormannsgalskap". "

I must say I was very shocked to hear about all of this. Her clothes do seem to be so unpretentious and all even if they were designer.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Gentry

Old 01-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by justine@Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:22 pm
I agree with you there. Once you have long hair, and all you do with it is pull it back in a ponytail or put it in a bun all the time.......well what's the point of having the long hair???
Yes, I agree about the long hair. You have long hair for a reason; don't pull it back constantly -- thereby nullifying whatever good things come out of having long hair. It's one thing for Elena to pull it back when she is playing with her kids or horseback riding or something similar, but every picture I see of her her hair looks the same. At least if she preferred her hair long, Elena could pull it up into a chignon or French twist or bun for formal occasions.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:47 pm
"stormannsgalskap". "

I must say I was very shocked to hear about all of this. Her clothes do seem to be so unpretentious and all even if they were designer.
That wasn't my opinion, it's just a statement of how quickly you might be thought of as it. In some odd way people who marry into the royal family has to be even more careful than the family they marry into. The press, who're the ones who gives us the news, seems to let a lot more slide about the royal family than the ones who marry into it.

I bet Sonja bought just as much clothes when she married Harald, but the press then had slightly more tact. (And Sonja's educated in sewing, so...)

I really like the Infanta's new eyebrows...
Old 01-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by norwegianne+Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:49 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:49 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:47 pm
"stormannsgalskap". "

That wasn&#39;t my opinion, it&#39;s just a statement of how quickly you might be thought of as it. In some odd way people who marry into the royal family has to be even more careful than the family they marry into. The press, who&#39;re the ones who gives us the news, seems to let a lot more slide about the royal family than the ones who marry into it.

I bet Sonja bought just as much clothes when she married Harald, but the press then had slightly more tact. (And Sonja&#39;s educated in sewing, so...)

I really like the Infanta&#39;s new eyebrows... [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m told by Norwegian friends (who don&#39;t really like Sonja) and knowledgable Nowregian contributors on other boards that Sonja *is* * often* referred to as such, as she tries to come across more royal than the royals. The palace reno&#39;s of the late 1990s didn&#39;t help either.

Sean
Old 01-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen of England--lose the huge purses; update the shoes; something a little more delicate. To the Princess Royal---get a short haircut, and maybe just a little chin lift&#33;
Old 01-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
norwegianne, I didn&#39;t mean to imply that. It came out wrong but I understand that the feeling that Norwegians may have about that. And you&#39;re right about the press.

" bet Sonja bought just as much clothes when she married Harald, but the press then had slightly more tact. "

Yes and they didn&#39;t report as much or make such a deal about it. Tact, indeed.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:58 pm

I&#39;m told by Norwegian friends (who don&#39;t really like Sonja) and knowledgable Nowregian contributors on other boards that Sonja *is* * often* referred to as such, as she tries to come across more royal than the royals. The palace reno&#39;s of the late 1990s didn&#39;t help either.

Sean
The renovations were a thing, but let&#39;s not forget the palace hadn&#39;t been renovated in God knows how long. I recall a case of the bath-tubs she had ordered being too extravagant. I really don&#39;t think many would have made that much of it had it been the King supervising the renovations.

But back to topic.

How about the ladies should dress for their age? Mathilde of Belgium has been mentioned here, as has Anne of Great Britain.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

I agree that Elena would look better with shorter hair. Shorter hair tends to make your features appear softer, less severe. Plus, in my opinion, you can to a lot more with shorter hair, as far as styling. And if you feel the need for long locks every down and then, there is the great invention of hair extensions. Besides, the longer the hair, the more weighed down it becomes, thus making it appear flat and dull. Not to sound mean, but it might make the lines on Maxima&#39;s forehead less noticeable because shorter hair take the attention off the face. But then again, this is just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness

Wow&#33; Lots of really interesting and great comments&#33;

I agree that Infanta Elena would look much better if her very thick hair were cut and styled a bit differently. Her eyebrows, too, would look very nice if they were groomed a bit.

I think that Victoria&#39;s style suits her quite well and I do really like her make-up and hair.

Maxima is great fun with color and it&#39;s nice to see her wear it with such panache. Out of curiosity, though, it would be fun to see her in Armani or something.

It would be nice to see Letizia with her hair back. I think it&#39;s cut in a way now that she&#39;s not able to pull it back easily (lots of layers).

While Madeleine is a great beauty she needs to stop tanning&#33; She&#39;s already got lines on her forehead&#33; I also think she looks better with her hair a little bit darker. Her make-up is, as always, fresh and attractive (I wonder who does the Bernadotte sisters make-up??? They always look good&#33. Her brows look good as well.

Rania should tone her wardrobe down and wear more traditional Jordanian clothes more often. They are gorgeous to boot and look stunning on HM.

Caroline needs to stay out of the sun, quit smoking and cut her hair, or something. I really liked her hair when it was a bit shorter.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:28 am
So, Julia, you and I pretty much agree. You, as usual, are just so much more diplomatic.

Alas, not the heated debate I was hoping for&#33; I&#39;m only kidding.

Regards,

Sean. ~
:P ...I don&#39;t know how diplomatic I am as I started this topic but I&#39;ll take the compliment&#33; LOL. Thank you&#33;
Old 01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Mette-Marit quit smoking after she had pneumonia.

I really can&#39;t stand Mathilde&#39;s bright pink lipstick. (Such a specific thing, I know :P). It&#39;s just too bright and too pink and she wears it with everything. A browner lipstick would suit her fine.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Aristocracy

Well, I think that there is little chance that we will get another designer than Natan&#39;s Eduard Vermeulen for Princess Mathilde (Princess Maxima gets most of her clothes there as well). I actually do not think it is to conservative, I do not like decolettes etc, especially not for a crownprincess. Maxima should stop dying her hair, let it turn darker, which would look a lot better with her face & eyes. And she should lose those horrible sunglasses & start wearing her hair up..it is to thin & &#39;peaky&#39; to wear it down&#33;,...I wouldnt change anything on Mathilde. Letizia is just startin, but I agree, she should lose the tv-presentor look. Mary Donaldson could look more as a human being than a porcelain doll as well.

GD Marie-Theresa of Luxembourg should definately lose some weight, she used to be a very attractive lady a few years ago (she still is, but she could be even more attractive if she lost some weight), I always liked her, she &#39;shines&#39;, always&#33;

Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein needs a new & more modern haircu and slightly more fashionable clothes. Her make up does not do her justice as well, she should shop with Mathilde, as they both have a very white skin.

Madelaine of sweden should stop the tanning & dye her hair less blond...this is to much.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Nobility

Call me naive, but I thought these ladies were all natural blondes&#33; Especially Madeleine and Mette-Marit..

And, (this is just a personal opinion) I think when a woman reaches a certain age, she actually looks much younger with shorter hair..

Princess Anne could take 15 years off her appearance with a trendy cut...

Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Nobility

Can&#39;t get over the change with Elena just by thinning her eyebrows...
Where are my tweezers?&#33;

Old 01-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Nobility

I&#39;ve had such a good laugh reading these posts&#33; Feel so much better about my own flaws&#33;

Let&#39;s face it - if a princess can&#39;t get it right, there&#39;s hope for everyone&#33;