Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

i love princes diana dres more but 2 very nice

Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I suspect the dress, including consultations, was closer to £250,000 after all. It's not unusual for couture pieces to cost £100,000+. Especially considering the craftsmanship and detail..
I don't think it really matters in "real money" what Burton charged the Middletons for Kate's wedding gown; the resulting publicity and fame will multiply the cost to an incalculable degree. Thirty years later, the Emmanuels are still remembered and making money from designing Diana's dress and neither David nor Elizabeth can be said to have had or worked for major houses such as McQueen. In fact, until Diana discussed her mother paying for her dress with "golden guineas", many American and Canadian newspapers insisted that the Emmanuels had given it to Diana, either at cost or completely for free.

Although not American, I've been in the US quite a lot in the past year and Sarah Burton was totally unknown outside of fashion circles until the wedding; now her name is on the lips of every girl with a Facebook account who is interested in fashion. Priceless!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think I have heard of Alexander McQueen before the wedding. True Sarah Burton is a household name, but isn't she still working for Alexander McQueen, so in a way her company is a household name.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think I have heard of Alexander McQueen before the wedding. True Sarah Burton is a household name, but isn't she still working for Alexander McQueen, so in a way her company is a household name.
I absolutely agree that Alexander McQueen was very well known; It was Sarah Burton to whom I was referring and whether her name is carried on the label or not (you're 100% right - she still works for McQueen, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't eventually have her name added to the House or open her own), she will be sought out for years to come due to designing Kate's dress, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I dunno if I should put this here or the wedding thread but the dress isn't likely to go on tour
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Enjoy - you won't see dress again for a while
Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is it customary for a dress to go on display so soon after the wedding? Charlene's dress was displayed even faster than Kate's.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Is it customary for a dress to go on display so soon after the wedding? Charlene's dress was displayed even faster than Kate's.
I believe Mary's, Maxima's and Mette-Marits went on display after their weddings.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I believe Mary's, Maxima's and Mette-Marits went on display after their weddings.
Yes, they did as well as Princess Martha Louise of Norway and others:

Royal Wedding Dresses on Display
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton: White bolero requests on the rise as royal wedding inspires trend | Mail Online
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton royal wedding dress: Sarah Burton reveals how she kept it a secret | Mail Online
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And the bride wore... From Middleton to Moss, we look back at 2011's finest wedding dresses
And the bride wore... From Middleton to Moss, we look back at 2011's finest wedding dresses | Mail Online
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

From my side the best dresses were worn by two of Kates-Kate Middleton and Kate Moss.Kate Moss's dress was pretty and original,though I hardly imagine any royal bride wearing that style.In plus ,both of them,keep on to be natural beauties,without any silicon additions.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Serene Highness

I loved kate's wedding dress and to think we waited so long for the dress and I believe Kate had excellent taste in picking out that dressage will forever be remembered when she married the prince
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kim Kardashian is a standout for me despite her fake marriage. Dylan Lauren arguably had the best wedding dress of the year; and of course Kate Middleton's is iconic. Petra Eccleston had the best hair.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 AM

Another thing that I liked about Catherine's dress was how she had the flora of the four regions of the UK - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - represented on her lace. She had the rose, shamrock, tistle and...the flora of Wales escapes me, darn.

But anyway, I think that was the real highlight of the dress.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

Daffodils?

Thanks for jogging my mind about the flowers, Sonja. Just got through watching a documentary on youtube about the dress (a retrospective on the royal year, actual) and they showed the lacemakers close up making those flowers - truly amazing.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
Daffodils?

Thanks for jogging my mind about the flowers, Sonja. Just got through watching a documentary on youtube about the dress (a retrospective on the royal year, actual) and they showed the lacemakers close up making those flowers - truly amazing.
Ooooooh!! What was the name of the documentary??? I'd love to see it!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't know Kate had representation decorations in her dress. The last time I can recall that being done is with Elizabeth's coronation gown, which was indeed beautiful.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Daffodils?
Yes, daffodils! Thanks Kaimi, I knew it started with a "D" but wasn't so sure of the flower.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It was a pretty dress, with the exception of the Cambridge Cones.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding