The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

When I criticized the replicas of Kate's dress I only meant the live full replica's. Not the Kate doll which was truly beautiful. I have a picture of it and it is breathtaking to look at. But for the full copies it just seems like the designers can't get it right and it lacks the detail.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 AM

hello, I am new to this, but have been following these forums and decided to jump in.

I read on some of the uk news sites that the cost of the dress was $400.000.00, however I think that this sounds way overblown. maybe the entire wedding attire, including attendants outfits, but could a dress cost this much?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I wish I could go to the display.
I do too. I would love to see it and the palace too.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe the replicas of Kate's gown don't look as good because they don't cost 200,000+, and most of all probably do not have the support garments worn under the gown (most couture gowns are have padded hips to keep the gown from hanging straight from the waist. The pads enable the "floating" aspect when the bride is walking.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Courtier

I would love to see that wedding gown up close. I sew and do embroidery so I know how much work goes into it.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Kate's wedding dress goes on display at Buckingham Palace
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I believe the replicas of Kate's gown don't look as good because they don't cost 200,000+, and most of all probably do not have the support garments worn under the gown (most couture gowns are have padded hips to keep the gown from hanging straight from the waist. The pads enable the "floating" aspect when the bride is walking.
I do agree Kitty. Kate's gown was custom made for her figure and was very well fitting indeed. The movement when she was walking was superb. As for the beautiful lace detail, I do not believe that it can ever be repeated unless one is prepared to sacrice copious amounts of time or several thousands of Pounds.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahinijane View Post
hello, I am new to this, but have been following these forums and decided to jump in.

I read on some of the uk news sites that the cost of the dress was $400.000.00, however I think that this sounds way overblown. maybe the entire wedding attire, including attendants outfits, but could a dress cost this much?
Hi and welcome.. I think this was a guess.... a very large guess... it has been published that the size and the price of the dress was not going to be announce and for that matter in the video the curator said they where a closely kept secret, but you can tell the size of her 5 1/2 shoes.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think £250,000 for a unique, bespoke wedding gown by a designer of the calibre of Sarah Burton and her team is entirely possible.

To start with Sarah Burton probably has a team of several people who work with her to firstly sketch and edit the design to get it to something the bride is happy with, over several consultations. The you have the many seamstresses and all those involved in the actual cutting and making of the dress itself, not to forget the shoes and the veil. Then you have the inevitable alterations which would have had to be made.

How may man hours would have been dedicated to this dress? Over 1,000? Several people working all day, everyday for weeks on end, you could run into thousands plural. Now charge out those hours, some of which for the 'cheaper' members of the team - the seamstresses which still would have been considerable and then factor in how much even an hour of Sarah Burton's time must cost. She could probably charge thousands of pounds for a single one on one consultation.

At the end of all that you can reach £250,000 very, very easily.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Courtier

The hand embroidery on that dress cost a lot. If you have ever done embroidery you know how long it takes. I once did a table runner and 8 napkins in a Christmas motif and it took almost a year of daily work to finish. Working on that dress must have been some project.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahinijane View Post

According to both Majesty and Royalty magazines, the cost of the dress was forty thousand pounds.
What is that in dollars?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Courtier

that is a lot less then we were hearing before
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
According to both Majesty and Royalty magazines, the cost of the dress was forty thousand pounds.
What is that in dollars?
I'm thinking that's up close to 100,000 U.S.

MM
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Mom View Post
I'm thinking that's up close to 100,000 U.S.

MM
Thank you for that information. I'm still trying to figure out how many dollars equal one pound. Never was good in math.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Thank you for that information. I'm still trying to figure out how many dollars equal one pound. Never was good in math.
I think it's based on whatever the dollar is worth at any given time...but it seems to me like it usually runs almost double in dollars to what the figure is in pounds....if that makes sense to you...I think I said that right.

MM
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think it's based on whatever the dollar is worth at any given time...but it seems to me like it usually runs almost double in dollars to what the figure is in pounds....if that makes sense to you...I think I said that right.

MM
Thank you . It does indeed.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Aristocracy

Welcome :) See what happens when you watch BBC America? <G>

MM
Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Welcome :) See what happens when you watch BBC America? <G>

MM
I'm one of those who's not a TV-watcher, but I'll start tuning into BBC on the web.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

MM
Right now the US dollar is worth about .61 GBP. It changes as the dollar goes up or down in value. There's quite a few good US dollar to GBP converters on the internet.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Aristocracy

You have to check out Antiques Roadshow! Must see Gordon Ramsey's shows (he has two or three), love them! Then there's the Monty Python sitcom, classic!

MM

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding