The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Majesty

I didn't notice Wills' spurs until my grandmother pointed them out to me. I thought it was very regal indeed. The whole event had a fairy tale-like feeling and atmosphere to it.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
A very similar dress if not exact but for the lace. Well, fashion IMO will always stay the same and come back round form previous years therefore designs will never change much.

Copy Kate! Washington fashionista says Kate Middleton ripped off her wedding gown

Read more: Clare Cushman | Kate Middleton | The Daily Caller
There's another lady in Australia who says that Kate's dress was very similar to hers which she wore in 1954 and that it was made by her next-door neighbor.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Bonjour,
I'm new here and decided to jump in on the comments about Kate's dress. I adored the dress, especially the little details about it (like the embroidery at the bottom) and thought she looked so beautiful and regal. It is definitely a step up from Diana's monstrosity in 1981. The train was modest and so beautiful while she was walking down the aisle. The only thing I could complain about is: a) the heavy eyeliner b) the bump at the top of her head c) the train stopping short from going all the way down the stairs while she was standing at the alter (but that is just me nitpicking)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I was prepared for an understated wedding because the press had said that the two were mindful of the economic times and they are not about flash anyway. I thought the dress was beautiful, elegant, and timeless. I feel like the Mrs. Eltons of the world just don't understand what this wedding was about and how much even I as an American appreciated the beautiful simplicity of the entire thing and that they remaimed true to their selves and thought about their subjects while planning.

It seemed so intimate and Kate looked amazing. I even loved her evening gown. The white sweater added seemed so beautiful. White on white on white! I loved it. And I liked Pippa too. Her dress suited her figure and she was an excellent maid of honor!
I recall hearing somewhere that if this was their dream wedding, William and Kate would have liked it to be small. So I wasn't expecting Prince Diana's and Sarah Ferguson's over the top 80s dresses. I think Kate's dress screamed "this is MY day" and it was more about the marriage and intimacy of giving yourself to another person for the rest of your life. Yes her dress was breathtaking, the color, the style, the little details, the veil, the train...but it wasn't a dress that consumed and dominated the bride nor took away from her. That is not the type of person Kate seems to be, and even if the economy was fantastic, I can't see her wearing an over the top dress that won't age very well.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The dress was very Kate, I was not expecting something over the top or a 20meter train behind her. She seemed to stay to what she is and not change it no matter how big the celebration was going to be.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Commoner

I'm surprised to hear that Kate is being accused of copying Isabelle Orsini's wedding dress, They are obviously very different. I guess with good press comes the negative comments.
Adored the dress!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ugh, I noticed Wills spurs and Harry had them as well. Good gracious that was just bad. Just looking at their feet and it seemed like they had just stepped out of a bad western.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those aren't the same kind of spurs that cowboys in the Wild, Wild West wore on their boots. These are different, and traditional to the uniforms that they wore. Remember, back in the old days, you rode horses, not airplanes.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think the dress was copied by anyone - the style is a common one for brides, I have an aunt that was married in one that was similar. What made Kate's so pretty was the hand embroidery - I was watching the interview with the women who worked on it. As for Grace Kelly's, while it was pretty, it was designed by Helen Rose, wardrobe designer at MGM. The MGM wardrobe department made the wedding dress as a gift from MGM. At the time she was tied to an MGM contract for another 7 years. To get out of her 7 year contract with MGM Grace Kelly had to agree to the wedding being filmed by MGM for worldwide distribution. She later said she regretted the filming intruding on her wedding day. She supposedly didn't care too much for her dress.

I didn't notice the spurs, either - now I'll have to look back at the pictures and see if I can see them. Does anyone have a good picture with them in it?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I don't think the dress was copied by anyone - the style is a common one for brides, I have an aunt that was married in one that was similar. What made Kate's so pretty was the hand embroidery - I was watching the interview with the women who worked on it. As for Grace Kelly's, while it was pretty, it was designed by Helen Rose, wardrobe designer at MGM. The MGM wardrobe department made the wedding dress as a gift from MGM. At the time she was tied to an MGM contract for another 7 years. To get out of her 7 year contract with MGM Grace Kelly had to agree to the wedding being filmed by MGM for worldwide distribution. She later said she regretted the filming intruding on her wedding day. She supposedly didn't care too much for her dress.

I didn't notice the spurs, either - now I'll have to look back at the pictures and see if I can see them. Does anyone have a good picture with them in it?
As she stepped out of the car we knew what the dress was. On initial reaction a lot would have gone 'oooh just like Grace' or 'i wore something very like that back when... ' To be honest, the first thing i was looking for was lace and the second thing the neckline. i'd predicted she'd do demure like Maria in the sound of music. She did.
it was a lot like Grace's until we find out later what thought went into the dress and the lace. i have heard several time that a piece of lace from one of Diana's old dress was sewn into it. But not much about it after that so i put it to the tabloids making a story.

The dress was uniquely Kate. Her dress suited the venue but it also gave the illusion of a less formal bride with the fingertip veil. She knew what she was doing.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
As for Grace Kelly's, while it was pretty, it was designed by Helen Rose, wardrobe designer at MGM. The MGM wardrobe department made the wedding dress as a gift from MGM. At the time she was tied to an MGM contract for another 7 years. To get out of her 7 year contract with MGM Grace Kelly had to agree to the wedding being filmed by MGM for worldwide distribution. She later said she regretted the filming intruding on her wedding day. She supposedly didn't care too much for her dress.
It certainly didn't look comfortable, and from video footage I've seen she couldn't move very well in it either. It didn't mesh well with the rest of GK's style so I doubt she had much imput in the design of the dress.

It doesn't surprise me that Catherine's dress is a very classic style that's been around for 50+ years. It's a dress for women who would wear a strapless dress if they could, but can't because of church regulations. So they go with the next best thing - strapless bodice with lace sleeves and shoulders.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whether the dress was designed by MGM or not it was a beautiful dress and stands the test of time. Obviously as shown by Kate and Isabella Orsini, it is still inspiring brides almost 60yrs later.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
It certainly didn't look comfortable, and from video footage I've seen she couldn't move very well in it either. It didn't mesh well with the rest of GK's style so I doubt she had much imput in the design of the dress.

It doesn't surprise me that Catherine's dress is a very classic style that's been around for 50+ years. It's a dress for women who would wear a strapless dress if they could, but can't because of church regulations. So they go with the next best thing - strapless bodice with lace sleeves and shoulders.
I had noticed the same thing. Kate had some difficulties sporting the gown easily.She appeared to be held down and back a bit by it.and took cautious steps.....Whereas Grace could have done a cartwheel in hers. Kate had a difficult time getting out her vows.[possibly the inside of the gown had a waist pincher and that kept her diaphragm suppressed without accentuating the bosom; there appeared there a steel armour bodice which looked difficult to move in.] I also agree that Kate herself may not have done much of the designing or comtemplation of the design as GK did . While many say the gown can stand the test of time the detailed work could not be seen on camera and as such was not truly appreciated for the beauty and intricacy.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I had noticed the same thing. Kate had some difficulties sporting the gown easily.She appeared to be held down and back a bit by it.and took cautious steps.....Whereas Grace could have done a cartwheel in hers. Kate had a difficult time getting out her vows.[possibly the inside of the gown had a waist pincher and that kept her diaphragm suppressed without accentuating the bosom; there appeared there a steel armour bodice which looked difficult to move in.] I also agree that Kate herself may not have done much of the designing or comtemplation of the design as GK did . While many say the gown can stand the test of time the detailed work could not be seen on camera and as such was not truly appreciated for the beauty and intricacy.
According to me, RubyPrincess168 meant Grace Kelly's dress and the difficulty she had moving in it and not Catherine's dress.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Gentry

First, I reject the notion that Catherine's dress was intended to be a next-best-thing for someone who really wanted to wear a strapless dress and wasn't allowed to do so. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. The style of the lace overlay isn't anything new, and it certainly predates the (imo, trashy) trend of brides going strapless in church.

Second, I don't see anything that suggests that Catherine couldn't move in her dress or had trouble breathing and speaking. Her voice was quiet during her vows...so what? Perhaps she spoke quietly because she was speaking only to the man standing to her immediate right, and so using a stage voice wasn't at all necessary. I thought that the couple tried very hard to make the actual marriage ceremony as intimate as it could be, between them, the Archbishop who was leading them through it, and God. Kudos to them for knowing the point and not viewing it as high theater. I also saw no evidence that she had difficulty moving in her gown, in fact I thought she moved far more naturally and easily in it than Grace Kelly did in hers, which is neither here nor there.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure that either Grace or Catherine had difficulty in moving in their wedding dresses - they were simply walking slowly and very regally. Three layers of tuille and one layer of silk is not heavy and would not leave the wearer wading along as if walking in mud! Perhaps sitting down might have been rather uncomfortable because of the corsetry involved?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that she moved quite freely and gracefully. For those who wanted to see her "float" in and out of the abbey, that would have been difficult, as there is always friction and drag between the train and carpet. To "float" the floor has to be a hard, polished surface.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

I as well could not see unease in her movements. I could tell she was nervous and she held her father's arm tightly but once she met William at the alter, I saw her relax immensely. The dress was perfect for Catherine and I am sure she felt beautiful in it and more importantly William-and we ALL witnessed this so there is no controversy-thought she was and told her so! And that is enough for me.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine seemed more relaxed than Grace on that day. I did catch a glimpse of her shoes and perhaps she was just being careful as not to stumble in them. I don't recall seeing a lot of video of Grace walking in her dress but overall she looked very serious and stoic on her wedding day.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Marriage is a Sacrament, deserving the utmost in deportment. Also, I don't think Grace walked down the aisle. It was she who waited at the altar for the Prince to walk down the aisle.

Is that right? Someone tell me I was dreaming!

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding