Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a very feminine ladylike gown
Her taste, her style,that's all that mattered.
It was HER wedding

I only wish her veil had done the length of her train. I don't understand the reasoning for not having it be longer.

I also wish the veil was as long as the train, which I also wish was a bit longer as well to suit the grandeur of the Abbey.

I only wish her veil had done the length of her train. I don't understand the reasoning for not having it be longer.

Or even longer than the train. But Catherine felt that covering the train would detract from the embroidery/lace workmanship and wanted it to be seen clearly.

True the train was beautiful, not only it's shape but the embroidery, I assume that the people who were actually in the church could get a better look at it than those of us watching on tv.

If I had to pick one thing about the entire wedding ensemble that I absolutely loathed, it would be the veil!

It was hideous. The material was far far too heavy, so much so that it flattened her hair with it's weight and made her head look like she was wearing a helmet! If it had been a soft, sheer and lightly floaty, it would have looked so romantic, enhancing both the style of the veil and the beauty of the tiara. Instead it looked as coarse and heavy as muslin!

Marge, I somewhat agree with you. It wasn't the veil as much as the combination of the tiara and veil didn't sit well or correctly with that hair style. If her hair had been up and the tiara had sat higher on her head perhaps the veil would not have just "hung" as it did. Their "formal" picture just looks blah because the hair and veil are totally flat.

I agree with both Marg and Suztav about the veil. It should have been puffed or gathered around the tiara rather than just lying flat on her head. There was no height to the look. Had the veil been more of a bouffant type with more layers, I think it would have drastically complemented the tiara as well as giving a more ethereal appearance.

Last edited:
Good gawd no! I hate when veils are gathered around a brides head making it look like tissue paper in a box. Falling flat on the head actually makes the veil look more natural around the head like it is just gracefully flowing; a good combination with flowing hair.

The flat veil, to me, harkens back to medieval times. It was not modern. Perhaps Kate is a not-modern girl, at heart.

That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.

Last edited:
Yes, I think Kate deliberately chose elements from olden times (as would I, if I were stepping into the role of Future Queen).

That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.

I loved the veil for the same reason - because it looked medieval/renaissance-ish and it also reminded me of veils worn by widows in the past (might sound a bit odd, but I always found they looked very elegant and graceful). For such special events I like such things more - timeless elegance and timeless beauty - than modern trends which might look boring or even cheap/silly after a few decades. The Cartier Halo tiara was a great match IMO and the loose hair also worked nicely. I really think Kate looked beautiful at her wedding.

Yeah, it is ironic to bring in what is worn by widows; but their veils are just so pretty. I remember thinking that when I watched Gone With The Wind and clips of the Kennedy funeral. It's one of those timeless styles that always works.

I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.

Yes,her veil is very beautiful.She looked so beautiful behind the veil.

I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.

LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.

My first comment on seeing Catherine's wedding gown was how similar in style it was to that worn by Princess Elizabeth when she married Philip Mountbatten. It seemed to have a style which trancended time and fashion.

Are there any better pictures of her dress? To me it looks like another bad copy of Kate's dress, one that doesn't fit well.

LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.

Oh, wow - thank you, KittyAtlanta:flowers:! The "Cambridge Cones". That is priceless :ROFLMAO: - and so true! I never did understand that with all the intricacy and care put into that gown's creation that they didn't make sure Kate had a more, shall we say, natural look? She has a lovely figure and that was a real distraction. Gosh, I can't stop laughing!!!

Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.

Attachments

• Duchess of Durham in DoCa's dress 0324.jpg
    Duchess of Durham in DoCa's dress 0324.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 311
Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.

Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.

Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.

You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.

You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.

Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way :flowers:

Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way :flowers:

Hear, hear! Congratulations!!!

You look so beautiful and so radiant that I'm sure that THE dress you've chosen will be absolutely perfect!! I echo the congratulations of all us posters and my wish for you is that all your troubles of married life be little ones! :flowers:

Thank you for all the congratulations!

The future Duke of Durham, who does not even look at TRF, and I have been together for almost 7 years. I am so excited to marry him.

Here is the dress, and veil, I did get. The veil will be worn a little further back on my head, and my hair will be pulled back.

Attachments

• The Dress 0324.jpg
    The Dress 0324.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 274
Back
Top Bottom