The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Princess View Post
Yes, I read the same figure...and Philippa's cost 20,000 GBP.

Which if you're talking about custom-made dresses from a couture house, is not exorbitant at all.....and the family paid for it themselves.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Catherine's wedding dress was 40,000 GBP which is roughly $66,070.
I wonder if the bride got a special price as she was getting 2 dresses (wedding + reception dress ) and 1 dress for the bridesmaid in total 3 dresses for the family. Since the lace was all handmade especially for Kate & the design was also made to order/measure, its a pretty reasonable price if you comapre it to other houses such as Dior which could easily start for a wedding dress at $90,000.-

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Figures seem to be ranging i've read that the dress was £200,000 then £40,000 is the smallest figure i've seen.
I'm surprised at the cost, looks like Kate might have taken the economic situation into consideration after all.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I wonder if the bride got a special price as she was getting 2 dresses (wedding + reception dress ) and 1 dress for the bridesmaid in total 3 dresses for the family. Since the lace was all handmade especially for Kate & the design was also made to order/measure, its a pretty reasonable price if you compare it to other houses such as Dior which could easily start for a wedding dress at $90,000.-

That very well might be the case. For Sarah Burton and Alexander McQueen (the label), the cache of having designed a royal wedding dress would more than make up for the fact the bill wasn't as high as it otherwise would have been.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Commoner

She did keep the economy in mind--by contributing!!! Sheesh, some people will NEVER be happy. Just goes to prove you can't please all the people all the time.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You can never please everybody, what's the point in moaning about it? Sheesh.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Princess View Post
Philippa's cost 20,000 GBP.
That is ludicrous if true. It was a fairly simple affair with not a great deal of material to it. How could that sort of price possibly be justified?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Aristocracy

The name, the type of fabric, the labor etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
That is ludicrous if true. It was a fairly simple affair with not a great deal of material to it. How could that sort of price possibly be justified?
Looks are not the same as substance.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Now that the fuss has died down somwhat; can I add my opinion?

The dress was exactly what a girl like Catherine should have worn-A "commoner" (how I hate that word) being elevated to the status of a Duchess-it was a dress you might find in any country church-made different by the excellent tailoring, the stuff it was made from, and attention to detail-and that essentially, is the difference between a Simplicity pattern and a Couturier. It suited her, she looked lovely.
As far as the Grace Kelly likeness-it had a lace bodice-otherwise-not really. Helen Rose designed Grace Kelly's gown, and it is interesting to note that she also designed the dress for Elizabeth Taylor's wedding to Nicky Hilton, a couple of years earlier-lace bodice, tight sleeves, full silk skirt. very 1950's- and that to my mind is where she (H Rose) got the inspiration for G Kelly-but pared down for Kelly's taller more slender frame-and where the inspiration for the Royal dress came from-If you go to the Vogue Vintage pattern site for the 1950's you will see many, many designs that draw on that design of Christian Dior's "New Look"-made famous by the likes of Audrey Hepburn Lauren Bacall Grace Kelly(think "Dial M for Murder") and Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, in the 50's, as well as the Dior house models. Perhaps that's what Sarah Burton wanted...A "New Look" for a new princess.
I hope that Catherine has put an end to the strapless bridal gown-so naff! so crude,so inappropriate.
I have heard she went from a size 10 to a size 6 in the last month or two-no wonder she looked tired and drawn-and the makeup for TV wouldn't have helped. Let's hope she rests and regains her "freshness" she is a very attractive young woman. He's a lucky fella-
And...Harry doesn't walk, he swaggers.....I guess I would too!!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post

I hope that Catherine has put an end to the strapless bridal gown-so naff! so crude,so inappropriate.

I hope so, too!

But in fairness, it can be difficult to find an alternative. I've heard many women say they would have liked something other than strapless but couldn't find anything nice.

Now, I think things may change, and sleeves may at least make an inroad again.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
Now that the fuss has died down somwhat; can I add my opinion?

The dress was exactly what a girl like Catherine should have worn-A "commoner" (how I hate that word) being elevated to the status of a Duchess-it was a dress you might find in any country church-made different by the excellent tailoring, the stuff it was made from, and attention to detail-and that essentially, is the difference between a Simplicity pattern and a Couturier. It suited her, she looked lovely.
As far as the Grace Kelly likeness-it had a lace bodice-otherwise-not really. Helen Rose designed Grace Kelly's gown, and it is interesting to note that she also designed the dress for Elizabeth Taylor's wedding to Nicky Hilton, a couple of years earlier-lace bodice, tight sleeves, full silk skirt. very 1950's- and that to my mind is where she (H Rose) got the inspiration for G Kelly-but pared down for Kelly's taller more slender frame-and where the inspiration for the Royal dress came from-If you go to the Vogue Vintage pattern site for the 1950's you will see many, many designs that draw on that design of Christian Dior's "New Look"-made famous by the likes of Audrey Hepburn Lauren Bacall Grace Kelly(think "Dial M for Murder") and Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, in the 50's, as well as the Dior house models. Perhaps that's what Sarah Burton wanted...A "New Look" for a new princess.
I have heard she went from a size 10 to a size 6 in the last month or two-no wonder she looked tired and drawn-and the makeup for TV wouldn't have helped. Let's hope she rests and regains her "freshness" she is a very attractive young woman. He's a lucky fella-
And...Harry doesn't walk, he swaggers.....I guess I would too!!

Strapless bridal gowns are neither crude nor inappropriate. ANY wedding dress if it's not properly fitted, will look poor on a woman, whether it has sleeves or whether it doesn't.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Liked your post, MichaelG. Welcome!

Yes, Harry did swagger - but I read later he was wearing spurs with his uniform, which may account for some of his gait. You can see William look down and then grin at him as they're coming up the aisle (at least in the non-BBC feed that I've been watching since yesterday).
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Strapless bridal gowns are neither crude nor inappropriate. ANY wedding dress if it's not properly fitted, will look poor on a woman, whether it has sleeves or whether it doesn't.
It's just his opinion, Sister Morphine , and I tend to agree with him. I think strapless dresses are in poor taste and many women should reconsider their choice if they have or are going to pick such a dress. Just my opinion though, don't shoot the messenger .

I do agree with your last sentence, that is a very clear one and obviously very true.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Liked your post, MichaelG. Welcome!

Yes, Harry did swagger - but I read later he was wearing spurs with his uniform, which may account for some of his gait. You can see William look down and then grin at him as they're coming up the aisle (at least in the non-BBC feed that I've been watching since yesterday).
Do you happen to have a link for that feed? I'm curious.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Commoner

Kate looked absolutely stunning!! I loved the dress, the lace, the neckline, the detail, everything! It made me want to get married all over again! LOL! The dress was a perfect fit for her: modern with a touch of the old, timeless and stunning, the dress really showed off how beautiful she really is!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Forget Kate! The dressmakers working overtime on copycat gowns for brides-to-be... who all want to look like Pippa | Mail Online
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Everyone has different taste about these things (that's why there are so many different styles of bridal gowns--although there are definitely trends, like the recent strapless one). I can only give my own opinion here and I'm sure it won't change anyone else's, but I thought it was a lovely dress, beautifully made, and what was more, it suited the bride. I don't think it was a Grace Kelly knock-off. I think that both Kate and Grace wore very traditional dresses (the lace overlay and sleeves over a plain bodice is just classic and did not originate with Grace) and that the seeming resemblance is only because we haven't seen this classic style in some time. If you look at the cut and shape of the dresses and the other details, they are very different.

Kate's dress did indeed showcase British craftsmanship--I sew myself and admire beautifully made clothes and that dress was perfectly fitted and perfectly made. To me, simplicity is often true elegance and the most beautiful things are often simple. Like Kate herself. She seems a very quiet girl and a natural beauty who knows enough not to gild the lily or emulate the overdone Hollywood starlets who have come to define glamour for a lot of the younger set--but who all too often are either a)tacky or b)naked or c)both at once.

I would second the person who posted hoping that sleeves make a reappearance in wedding dresses after this. Though I have seen some lovely dresses in the past five or six years that have no sleeves or shoulders and it can be an attractive style, usually it isn't. I have seen so many young women coming down the aisle that are not flattered by this style, quite often looking as if their bodices are actually going to creep down if they don't tug at them, and as for what it does to the poor girls who actually have bosoms! Oy! It would be nice for there to at least be a choice and I think Catherine's dress makes a lovely option. Her sister's dress was also simple, lovely, alluring but modest and though that would not have been suitable for a ROYAL bride, I think it would be very tasteful, with the right wedding veil for girls who wished to push the envelope just a little, but not have the more conservative guests cringing.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM

I also loved the bouquet. I thought it was so wonderful that it included 'sweet william'. I love the Victorian language of flowers and wish it would be brought back for things like wedding bouquets.

I also thought that it was suitable that it was little. In my opinion, Catherine needs to have smaller accessories and small scale things. She is a tall girl--but she is a little girl, built on a small scale, small head, small features, small everything--basically a petite in scale, though she is probably something like 5 ft. 10. She seems to realize instinctively that dramatic, large scale clothes or accessories are going to overwhelm her. She is a very different type than the late Princess Diana, who was very beautiful in a different style and was built on a large scale. Diana was able to diet herself down to small dress size, but if you are able to compare photographs, look at the size of her head, her feet, her shoulders and jsut her general bone structure compared to Kate's. Diana could wear very dramatic styles and large scale accessories and jewelry that Kate could never, never wear and look good in. Just think of the different wedding dresses, and how wonderful Diana looked in that huge dress, with those enormous sleeves and the gigantic train and the larger tiara (and even if the dress did crease a little in the coach, by the time she went into St. Paul's she looked jsut great. Then try to imagine Kate in something like that. I don't know if she has ambitions to be a fashion icon or not, but the different style of her beauty and her slight body and bone structure (even when she is at her normal weight, which she was not at the wedding) are always going to mean that she is going to have to wear very different--and much more understated--clothes to look good.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Nobility

Nordstrom's website has a "copy" of The Dress already! For $695. It looks like a pale imitation, however, and kind of surprising for Nordstrom. But it looks like The Dress will be a world-wide phenomenon and is going to be widely copied.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding