Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brides magazine cover this month has a Kate lookalike wearing a replica of her wedding dress, and credits Kate with an upsurge in people requesting lace on their dresses. Also, More coverage after so many years of strapless only!
I'm liking this! Before April 29, I felt like the only young American to appreciate sleeves on a wedding dress, so all this apparent upsurge makes me happy. I hope this trend continues because I was watching The View a couple weeks ago and a bride inquired about how to find a non-strapless dress - and the "expert" basically scoffed and stated that 80% of wedding dresses today are strapless and that she should just go for it because she that's how she would look best for her man. Umm...okay..

I'm liking this! Before April 29, I felt like the only young American to appreciate sleeves on a wedding dress, so all this apparent upsurge makes me happy. I hope this trend continues because I was watching The View a couple weeks ago and a bride inquired about how to find a non-strapless dress - and the "expert" basically scoffed and stated that 80% of wedding dresses today are strapless and that she should just go for it because she that's how she would look best for her man. Umm...okay..

I think what people have to realize is that not everyone is able to wear a certain look. I have an acquaintance who is a professional photographer, and she shares her work on her facebook page. There were plenty of brides who just couldn't pull off the strapless dress, but chose to go for it anyway. What this designer (or whoever she was) said is just not very professional. But to get back on topic, glad to see sleeves making a comeback. I know for a fact that I cannot pull off anything sleeveless, so this is rather promising.

Last edited:

What an insulting thing to say by that "expert" - she (I assume it's a she) doesn't have to push her opinion down a bride's throat.

So because 80% is strapless today means that she doesn't have a choice and she will look best for her man in strapless "no matter what"? So much for an expert...
I would say "it's not your wedding so you don't have to decide for me."

I think what people have to realize is that not everyone is able to wear a certain look. I an acquaintance who is a professional photographer, and she shares her work on her facebook page. There were plenty of brides who just couldn't pull off the strapless dress, but chose to go for it anyway. What this designer (or whoever she was) said is just not very professional. But to get back on topic, glad to see sleeves making a comeback. I know for a fact that I cannot pull off anything sleeveless, so this is rather promising.

I agree, my body is not suitable for strapless either and I would feel uncomfortable in it. It would give me a feeling of having to pull up repeatedly.

What an insulting thing to say by that "expert" - she (I assume it's a she) doesn't have to push her opinion down a bride's throat.
The "expert" was actually a he! I'm pretty sure he was semi-famous, I think he has his own show but I don't know his name. But I couldn't believe his answer!

I still say if a bride wants strapless, then go for what she likes.
I admit that I have yet to see a replica of Kate's dress that actually looked good.

Im with you Daisesforever, I don't know why a royal bride has to wear some insane getup just to make the mob happy and feel they are watching Cinderella come to life. One of the best royal bride wedding gowns I have ever seen was Princess Margaret, and hers was very simple yet extremely beautiful. This idea of over the top insane dresses with too much material seems to have gone out of style with the 1980s. Most royal brides today go for simple, elegant and understated.

Thank you ayvee. This is indeed a lovely display of the gown and assessories. Everytime I see this gown together with the Cartier Halo Tiara, I fall more and more in love with this classic look. Agreed not the drama everyone expected as was the case with Diana's gown. However, although Diana had a wonderful sense of style, I did not feel her wedding gown suited her at all. The Emanuels got it all wrong somehow. They were so busy trying to create the "drama" with an oversized gown and train, that they got the design all wrong. Less is definitely more. Simple, classic and elegant will always be tops for any occasion.

Last edited:
I admit that I have yet to see a replica of Kate's dress that actually looked good.

My mother purchased a Kate bride doll from Bradford or Franklin or some other replica vendor. The gown on that doll is just beautifully done. I'm not a fan of souveniers, but I have to admit that both the Diana replica and the Kate replica are beautiful.

As for sleeveless, well, I don't personally care for them but am not opposed to other people wearing them, unless they are Royal brides.

Love the display, even though I can't see it in person. The close-up photographs of the back of the waist reveals just how much intricate detail the dress had which were not seen on camera. I can see why some people found the dress boring or not grand enough for a future queen, but seeing everything up-close (even if not in person), we can see how beautiful the dress truly is.

As fellow forum members pointed out earlier, sleeves are usually the more appropriate option for a formal religiouus ceremony;for the same reason, a bit of 'coverage in the front' is usually the way forward. Too low a dress and no sleeves and you are practically describing an evening dress.

Catherine was marrying in a very formal ceremony. She also had to curtsey, and it is well known that if you have a dress with too-deep a 'V' in front, you expose more than you intend [which is why even the playboy bunnies did the 'bunny dip' in the 60's when serving drinks]

Catherine's dress will also still look classically beautful in 50 years' time; the expert referred to above might well be condemning the bride to a 'dated look'.

Only my views

Alex

Unfortunately, we'd all like to think our wedding gowns will stand the test of time and remain undated, but they all become dated, some more quickly than others. That's why no one wears their mother's or grandmother's gowns any more.

I loved seeing Kate and the Queen together seeing her dress they seemed so comfortable together!

Of course, the bride should have what she likes-- yet it is so nice to have a choice!

I believe strapless dresses have been done to death- to the point where everyone who wears one seems to melt into the crowd, so to speak.

It's just so old-hat! Why shouldn't a bride have different options, and not be forced to settle for strapless because that's all she can find?

When I criticized the replicas of Kate's dress I only meant the live full replica's. Not the Kate doll which was truly beautiful. I have a picture of it and it is breathtaking to look at. But for the full copies it just seems like the designers can't get it right and it lacks the detail.

hello, I am new to this, but have been following these forums and decided to jump in.

I read on some of the uk news sites that the cost of the dress was $400.000.00, however I think that this sounds way overblown. maybe the entire wedding attire, including attendants outfits, but could a dress cost this much?

I believe the replicas of Kate's gown don't look as good because they don't cost 200,000+, and most of all probably do not have the support garments worn under the gown (most couture gowns are have padded hips to keep the gown from hanging straight from the waist. The pads enable the "floating" aspect when the bride is walking.

I would love to see that wedding gown up close. I sew and do embroidery so I know how much work goes into it.

I believe the replicas of Kate's gown don't look as good because they don't cost 200,000+, and most of all probably do not have the support garments worn under the gown (most couture gowns are have padded hips to keep the gown from hanging straight from the waist. The pads enable the "floating" aspect when the bride is walking.

I do agree Kitty. Kate's gown was custom made for her figure and was very well fitting indeed. The movement when she was walking was superb. As for the beautiful lace detail, I do not believe that it can ever be repeated unless one is prepared to sacrice copious amounts of time or several thousands of Pounds.

Last edited:
hello, I am new to this, but have been following these forums and decided to jump in.

I read on some of the uk news sites that the cost of the dress was $400.000.00, however I think that this sounds way overblown. maybe the entire wedding attire, including attendants outfits, but could a dress cost this much?
Hi and welcome.. I think this was a guess.... a very large guess... it has been published that the size and the price of the dress was not going to be announce and for that matter in the video the curator said they where a closely kept secret, but you can tell the size of her 5 1/2 shoes.

I think £250,000 for a unique, bespoke wedding gown by a designer of the calibre of Sarah Burton and her team is entirely possible.

To start with Sarah Burton probably has a team of several people who work with her to firstly sketch and edit the design to get it to something the bride is happy with, over several consultations. The you have the many seamstresses and all those involved in the actual cutting and making of the dress itself, not to forget the shoes and the veil. Then you have the inevitable alterations which would have had to be made.

How may man hours would have been dedicated to this dress? Over 1,000? Several people working all day, everyday for weeks on end, you could run into thousands plural. Now charge out those hours, some of which for the 'cheaper' members of the team - the seamstresses which still would have been considerable and then factor in how much even an hour of Sarah Burton's time must cost. She could probably charge thousands of pounds for a single one on one consultation.

At the end of all that you can reach £250,000 very, very easily.

The hand embroidery on that dress cost a lot. If you have ever done embroidery you know how long it takes. I once did a table runner and 8 napkins in a Christmas motif and it took almost a year of daily work to finish. Working on that dress must have been some project.

Back
Top Bottom