The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
The more I look at this dress the more I love it.
Me too. The dress is really beautiful.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The more I look at this dress the more I love it. I really hope Catherine's gown marks a return to classic 50s style elegance and understatement in bridal fashion. I, for one, would definately welcome that.
On a side note, why is it that so many people are intent on the Duchess becoming more fashion forward and pushing the envelope, when that is clearly not her personal style? Is it because they feel she must do that as a young royal or because they are hoping she will fill the void left by Diana. And if it's the latter is that really fair to HRH?
I so agree with you. Above all, she should remain herself - and that is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. I find it a bit weird to call her that, I still have to get used to it.

This is whom William fell in love with, this is how the people have come to know her. That should be the most important.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
But it's her wedding day and her second wedding dress so why not white....that's what you were when you're the bride, no matter how many dresses :)
I agree - she was the bride - white is entirely appropriate. She looked great.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I so agree with you. Above all, she should remain herself - and that is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. I find it a bit weird to call her that, I still have to get used to it.

This is whom William fell in love with, this is how the people have come to know her. That should be the most important.
This. I've read a bit of criticism on other non-Royal forums saying they were disappointed in Catherine's 'safe' choice, saying it wasn't glamorous enough, not cutting edge, too plain, too 'housewifey', too old fashioned etc. What utter nonsense. What I loved most about the dress is that it perfectly summed up her personality as we have come to know her - classic, sleek, elegant, graceful, stylish and above all, British!! She was true to herself on HER day, and I really hope she will find the strength to stick to this resolve and not be swayed by the likes of Vivienne Westwood (of all people, honestly ) slating her dress choices. The best quote I have read about the dress is that Catherine wore 'it' rather than 'it' wearing her.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Commoner

I like both outfits. The second dress looks very comfortable and she is ready to party and dance, which I thought was the purpose of the second party.

The first dress, I loved. Everyone keeps saying it looks like Grace Kelly's dress. I see a little of that, but I see many more influences of Maria's dress from The Sound of Music.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedom View Post
This. I've read a bit of criticism on other non-Royal forums saying they were disappointed in Catherine's 'safe' choice, saying it wasn't glamorous enough, not cutting edge, too plain, too 'housewifey', too old fashioned etc. What utter nonsense. What I loved most about the dress is that it perfectly summed up her personality as we have come to know her - classic, sleek, elegant, graceful, stylish and above all, British!! She was true to herself on HER day, and I really hope she will find the strength to stick to this resolve and not be swayed by the likes of Vivienne Westwood (of all people, honestly ) slating her dress choices. The best quote I have read about the dress is that Catherine wore 'it' rather than 'it' wearing her.
I totally agree, it is rather nice to see someone wear something that they like. Not something that some so called fashion designer or some fashion host saids they should wear. There are has been quite a few things they say are in (hairstyles, dresses, colors etc) that I frankly think look like crap.

I have to say I love the dress, and it would be something I would want to wear.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

"Billed Bladet" has a very beautiful photogallery of Catherine's wedding dress

Billed-Bladet - Kates brudekjole i detaljer
Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The more I look at this dress the more I love it. I really hope Catherine's gown marks a return to classic 50s style elegance and understatement in bridal fashion. I, for one, would definately welcome that.
On a side note, why is it that so many people are intent on the Duchess becoming more fashion forward and pushing the envelope, when that is clearly not her personal style? Is it because they feel she must do that as a young royal or because they are hoping she will fill the void left by Diana. And if it's the latter is that really fair to HRH?
I agree with everything you say here Kellydofc. For a number of years now the style of wedding dresses available seem to have been very similar - especially the bodice always being strapless/sleeveless and very unflattering to most brides'sizes. A return to a classic 1950's style (or any style using sleeves and necklines!) will allow brides to have a multitude of choices in the styling of their dress - there is definately a limit to what you can do with a corset!

I absolutely love and adore Catherine's straightforward style. She doesn't try too hard, she isn't trying to prove anything, she plays safe with ideas that she knows and is comfortable with. The styles themselves may well occassionally be seen to be abit boring or not daring enough or abit too safe. But her simple style maintains her identity and allows her to experiment in a more successful way. It certainly avoids shocks, surprises and fashion victim labels!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedom View Post
Well let's try to remember that people are entitled to have different opnions. So my opnion is that they are crazy and blind. JK .....
Cutting edge is not the style you would like to try right on your wedding day. Who knows what she will choose to wear during the wears, but at her wedding she needed to wear something timeless, and that dress definitely is .
Also "housewifey"! strapless and the same fabric from the top to the bottom that's what I define as a that. Impeccable lacing and embroilment are NOT!

If anyone is going to be judgmental about the dress, they have to consider all of it's pieces. If you just see as lace on top of a corset than you clearly miss half of the dress and therefore should not have your opnion considerd

Funny is a lot of these fashionistas are the same that in 15 years will look at their photos and think "WTH was I thinking". Kate won't have to worry about that :)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Commoner

The model of the dress is definetly classic - which you basically expect from a duchess-to-be - but it's not original, inovative or what so ever. Those who say the dresses are basically strapless and such haven't been following the latest bridal fashion, which I have been for a year. Lace and classic, tradional styles are back in Bridal Fashion. You can see similar styles at any catalong of a respected brand, such as Pronovias.
The little details and quality of materials could be the responsible for making this dress more different from others, but unfortunately some of them don't pop out to eyes this much.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Commoner

I watched the entire wedding on a NOT HD television. It wasn't until I went online and saw the pictures that the details of the train were easy to see. AMAZING and costly embroidery. Read that the embroiderers washed their hands every 1/2 hour and changed needles every 3 hours. All that made me realize why she didn't want to cover up the back with a long veil. I never did see when the blusher was removed. Does anyone have a pix of that moment?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Jacinta View Post
I watched the entire wedding on a NOT HD television. It wasn't until I went online and saw the pictures that the details of the train were easy to see. AMAZING and costly embroidery. Read that the embroiderers washed their hands every 1/2 hour and changed needles every 3 hours. All that made me realize why she didn't want to cover up the back with a long veil. I never did see when the blusher was removed. Does anyone have a pix of that moment?
http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonia...0992-essay.jpg
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Well let's try to remember that people are entitled to have different opnions. So my opnion is that they are crazy and blind. JK .....
Cutting edge is not the style you would like to try right on your wedding day. Who knows what she will choose to wear during the wears, but at her wedding she needed to wear something timeless, and that dress definitely is .
Also "housewifey"! strapless and the same fabric from the top to the bottom that's what I define as a that. Impeccable lacing and embroilment are NOT!

If anyone is going to be judgmental about the dress, they have to consider all of it's pieces. If you just see as lace on top of a corset than you clearly miss half of the dress and therefore should not have your opnion considerd

Funny is a lot of these fashionistas are the same that in 15 years will look at their photos and think "WTH was I thinking". Kate won't have to worry about that :)
The amazing thing about this dress is that it is now most obvious to all of us that Kate very much knew she was walking up the aisle in WA to be married in a very solemn and meaningful ceremony and not walking a runway in a fashion show. Every little detail of the dress had meaning to her and it was very regal along with an air of pure simplicity. Some of the facts about the dress she probably didn't care if others even noticed... she knew they were there and that's what mattered.

Although there will most likely be a flooding of "knock off" Catherine gowns, I think it would be kind of sad to want to copy someone on their wedding day rather than follow Kate's example of making the wedding dress have special meaning to the person wearing it.

I'm pretty sure that Kate also realizes that this dress is now a historic item and will most likely in the years to come be put on display as the bridal gown of Queen Catherine. I think that's probably one of the main reasons why she had a different dress for the evening party. I would imagine that as soon as the dress was removed, it was immediately whisked away to be carefully preserved, packaged and whatever else is done with clothing of this nature.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Commoner

Beautiful Bride, Beautiful Young Lady.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not why but Kate's wedding dress reminded me Queen Victoria's regal one,the couple generally is perceived as a strong one unity,as Victoria and Albert were
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Victoria's wedding dress and Catherine's look absolutely nothing alike.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Queen Victoria's wedding dress and Catherine's look absolutely nothing alike.
I know,it was rather perceived other meaning,maybe all the atmosphere around and gestures reminded me Victoria's wedding ceremony
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Well, I was so disappointed on Catherine´s dress, make up and hairdo. The tiara was lovely and suitable for her and the lace on the dress looked nice. But...
Did she really do her make up herself? She shouldn´t have used the black-liner so much and her face looked terribly dark. She should have definitely had a proper hairdo with her hair up.
The dress - the top looked ok, but she should have had another bra ...
The low part was too big and heavy for such a thin Catherine.
She didn´t looked really happy at the church IMO. I missed feelings and emotions from the wedding.

i agree with you on this.hair,feelings etc
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Serene Highness

I saw solemnity, dignity and a great deal of joy and happiness and love. If emotion means tears etc., no thanks. I was at a wedding once where the groom was so emotional and crying that it was embarrassing to all and made me wonder if it was from happiness or sheer terror or change of heart.

I'll take dignity and joy and happiness anytime.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Commoner

I started reading this thread a couple of hours ago and I gotta say, I am soooo sick of reading how the dress is like Grace Kelley's. It is in a small way, just the upper part, but the skirt is nothing like Grace's. It has a different shape, one has embroidery, one does not, one opens in the back, showing a lacy underskirt, one does not, one has the look of a beautiful flower, with petals about to open, one does not, etc, etc. IMHO it looks more like Maria's from "The Sound of Music".
BUT it is not any of those dresses. This one is Catherine, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge's and no one's else. By the way, I thought it was breathtaking!! Mostly because she is in it.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding