Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Audrey Hepburn nor Jackie Kennedy were vamps. A vamp is a seductress, a sexually-charged woman. While both Audrey and Jackie were beautiful women with great personal style, neither of those things describe either their personalities, or the way they dressed.
In the day they ruled the world they were considred vamps in the sense and meaning we gave it then.Which has evidently changed because you saythe contrary to all my commentaries. They wore pants and fire engine red lipstick along with heavy eye makeup. Audrey had her hair perpetually cut very short.Which is what vamps did.They first cut their hair......She smoked from a cigarette holder.She was bohemain and so is Kate because she does not gather impressions but is her own person.She appeared the seductress.with her hoop earrings.Audrey did. not to you because she probably did not have today's criteria... but then yes She wore backless dresses. and sandals that tied provocatively. up her legs. Jackie also was a vamp in that her hair was also chopped and she smoked and wore pants and went without crinolines.She and Audrey wore black publicly.....very few did that...... Sorry implants to us were not about vamps and they did ooze a certain sex appeal...... Kate is not a Grace clone who was very classic and clean scubbed. very virginal.. Kate has sex appeal for sure.jmo that is why I used vamp for her there are possibilities there.
It does describe them and their personalities as a timewarp divides us.Kate wears boots? dark hose- etc.heavy eye makeup.she has the leanings of a vamp. She maybe designing her wedding gown and that is like Elinor Glynn..

Last edited:
I completely totally 100% concur. I think it is generally very unflattering. I think oyster color or pearl white(the stunningly beautiful color of the late Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy's bridal gown) is a close to pure white that I have ever liked on fair skin. I also loved Victoria's...but from some angles that gown also looked slightly pearl colored.

It really does does depend on a woman's skin tone.

I agree; a very bright white is trying for almost everyone. But off-white often has an undertone of blue, yellow, peach...the correct shade will flatter any skin tone, the problem is finding it! ;)

As for the bridesmaids, I'm also hoping for blue- hopefully the same Saxon Blue as the Garter Sash (which William is sure to wear).

Wow, I clearly remember when the word "vamp" was common, but no one I knew would have ever applied that word to Audrey Hepburn or Jackie Kennedy. In fact, everyone knew (and this can be confirmed by looking at women's magazines and tabloids of the day) that Audrey was a gamine type, and casting calls went out for gamines - and people like Leslie Carron showed up. When the casting call went out for vamps - Jackie Kennedy types and gamines were not wanted.

There were two styles of vamp: dark and blonde.

Jackie Kennedy was a type all by herself, and after the inauguration, there was a great call in television, film, print advertising and other media for "Jackie Kennedy types."

The same phrase is still used today by working casting directors, as well as by many parts of the public (from a wide swath of ages, I'd say).

I am trying to figure how out in a discussion of Catherine's wedding dress...we ended up talking about vamps?

I think every woman wants to look beautiful and desired on their wedding day, but vampish is not something I think applies to Catherine. She comes across as somewhat conservative and not that daring in her dress. Hardly thoughts that apply to those who are vamps. Oh and for the record, Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn not vamps. They were classic elegant beauties who IMO prove the adage that you can be just as desired wearing clothes as not wearing clothes.

Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe women who to me exude sexuality (but not in a vulgar way) are somewhat vamp like. Grace Kelly the actress was also not a vamp nor was Princess Grace of Monaco.

I would never apply the word vampish to Catherine - even when she was doing the lingerie modeling thing at school.

And i just saw a site with a picture of the Crown Princess Victoria wedding dress where the caption says the dress is cream, but when I ask people who happen to be here to look at, they say it's white. It's in between white and cream, and it's just a lovely color. The dress is beautiful too. I think Kate will have to find her own way of making a similar look her own (the flowers at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding are amazing).

Actually I can see Catherine wearing something similar to Victoria. I thought Victoria's dress was perfect for her. Classic clean lines...elegant and not too much. Of course, I would want a different tiara...but again I think the tiara that Victoria wore was perfect as well as a homage to her mother and heirtage.

Most brides nowadays wear off white, ivory, or diamond white. Very few brides choose to wear stark white. Simply because it is just not that flattering on most skin tones. Diana's dress was Ivory, Sarah Ferguson's cream..... I believe Kate's will be somewhere in that range.

Besides, now that I think about it, If Kate were to wear white... it would invariably bring up the virgin issue and how inappropriate it would be for her to get married in virginal white.....Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think matters...the only time the concept of a woman not wearing white at her wedding was if this was her 2nd wedding.

These days I think the only qualification in wearing white, winter white, oyster, champagne, cream, etc. is how it looks on the Bride, and to be honest that can end up being a big surprise.

My niece has very white blonde and honey hair, her skin is so fair it is almost translucent and so we all thought white was a definite non-starter.

She tried on some incredible creations and one in cream was just amazing, but as we said, "the dress will look fabulous gliding up the aisle, unfortunately you have just disappeared! Needless to say she ended up wearing exactly the same style but in winter white and she looked fabulous.

The point I am trying to make is that we cannot tell what colour or shade will look good or not on Kate. Even she probably didn't really understand until she started looking for her dress.

So I actually have no preconceived idea of what shade she will wear. That will probably be one of the biggest surprises of the day.

Sophie Cranston really took her time denying that she was the designer of choice for the wedding dress!
I suppose she wanted to utilize the priceless publicity, and I can't blame her for that- all the speculation put her company on the map!

Sophie Cranston really took her time denying that she was the designer of choice for the wedding dress!
I suppose she wanted to utilize the priceless publicity, and I can't blame her for that- all the speculation put her company on the map!

Well, at least she got the publicity she wanted :whistling:
Im must say I am very relieved that she wont be making the dress as her dresses on her site all looked like night gowns.

Im must say I am very relieved that she wont be making the dress as her dresses on her site all looked like night gowns.

Hear! Hear!

I never thought Libelula was a real contender.

Sophie Wessex wore what is described as an "ivory" dress in the book I have on that wedding...but it really looks white to me. It's certainly a different shade to the ivory Diana wore.

Catherine could pull off that rich cream colour favoured on the continent and that looks lovely with dark hair and a bit of a tan.

And do we think she'll be wearing silk or will we see The Return of Satin?

The suspense!

Well, at least she got the publicity she wanted :whistling:
Agreed. A dress can be TOO plain for a royal wedding. You have to take into consideration the venue. Even with her height, Catherine can get lost walking down the aisle at Westminster Abbey if she wears a "nightgown." More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious. But we are royal watchers because they can put on the greatest show on earth, better than any Hollywood blockbuster.

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.

Agreed. A dress can be TOO plain for a royal wedding. You have to take into consideration the venue. Even with her height, Catherine can get lost walking down the aisle at Westminster Abbey if she wears a "nightgown." More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious. But we are royal watchers because they can put on the greatest show on earth, better than any Hollywood blockbuster.

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.

:clap: I Totally Agree.
And a bit more with the bold part: less is not always more.

...More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious...During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.

Also, I am convinced this wedding is going to herald the start of a more positive, optimistic climate for Britain. Next year the London Olympics will be held and I feel Britain will start partying next Friday and not let up until the last firework has faded from the sky after the closing ceremony. Perhaps we'll look back on this wedding as the beginning of another "Cool Britannia" period?

What I hope for it's a dress that will make me feel the same way I felt when I first saw the Mario Testino's photos. more specifically the one with them W hugging K.
Surprised and teary

Hurray! finally people who want some glam! While simplicity may suit Kate's personal style, I hope she takes into account the 2 billion people watching who want to be Wowed. We have seen plenty of plain satin dresses in the last several years on royal brides. I hope she designed something that will be talked about for decades. A real showstopper!

I am trying to figure how out in a discussion of Catherine's wedding dress...we ended up talking about vamps?

I think every woman wants to look beautiful and desired on their wedding day, but vampish is not something I think applies to Catherine. She comes across as somewhat conservative and not that daring in her dress. Hardly thoughts that apply to those who are vamps. Oh and for the record, Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn not vamps. They were classic elegant beauties who IMO prove the adage that you can be just as desired wearing clothes as not wearing clothes.

Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe women who to me exude sexuality (but not in a vulgar way) are somewhat vamp like. Grace Kelly the actress was also not a vamp nor was Princess Grace of Monaco.

Thank you.

Hurray! finally people who want some glam! While simplicity may suit Kate's personal style, I hope she takes into account the 2 billion people watching who want to be Wowed. We have seen plenty of plain satin dresses in the last several years on royal brides. I hope she designed something that will be talked about for decades. A real showstopper!

If she takes into account the 2 billion that maybe are watching she won't even get out of Goring Hotel :p

She needs to have in mind all the pages and pages WE have spend wondering about The Dress :lol:

Catherine could pull off that rich cream colour favoured on the continent and that looks lovely with dark hair and a bit of a tan.

And do we think she'll be wearing silk or will we see The Return of Satin?

The suspense!

I would love to see her dress with some lace or the veil with lace and some embellishments to give it a rich look & a shine. I think Kate would go for taffeta silk.

Elegant glamour, a sparkling tiara and beautiful flowers with William in his RAF uniform. That's what I want to see.

I have a theory about the three dresses and the report that the dress would be auctioned for charity after.

I'm guessing she has her "prime" dress for the ceremony and a back-up in case there is a leak. The third dress is for the private evening reception. The back up dress could be the dress that will be auctioned off for charity.

Could Stella McCartney be designing her wedding gown?

Mia_mae said:
If she takes into account the 2 billion that maybe are watching she won't even get out of Goring Hotel :p

She needs to have in mind all the pages and pages WE have spend wondering about The Dress :lol:

I agree! The endless speculation about her gown must make Catherine smile.

I don't think matters...the only time the concept of a woman not wearing white at her wedding was if this was her 2nd wedding.

And even THAT is not a consideration any more. Remember former Princess of Alexandra of Denmark at her second wedding to that young guy...all dolled up in a white gown and veil to boot?

Or Madonna when she married Guy Richie..in a white gown and her face covered with a white veil.

And this was HER second marriage after two children!

Brides should wear what they want. If you're getting married for the first time and want to wear black, go for it. If you're getting married for the 5th time and want to wear white, go for it. It's the bride's day, it's her prerogative. I thought the Countess of Shackenborg's dress was very lovely, even if it was her 2nd wedding.

I don't believe in those archaic sensibilities, however I understand that for royalty, things are done differently. There is no option for Catherine to wear something other than a shade of white, and I get that.

Could Stella McCartney be designing her wedding gown?

I never thought of Stella McCarthey designing Catherine's dress. I not sure Stella's designs fit Catherine.

I read an article saying Catherine had designed her own wedding gown. If true, that might be a little like being your your own lawyer.

I don't see how that's always a bad thing. You know what looks best on you, more than someone else would, so it would make sense if Catherine had a hand somewhat, in the design of her dress. It's her wedding dress -- why shouldn't it be something she's had a part in bringing to life? No one is suggesting she's been sewing the thing together all this time, but I'm sure she's discussed what shade of white would look best on her, if she likes lots of lace or less lace, if she wants this kind of neckline......things like that.

I read an article saying Catherine had designed her own wedding gown. If true, that might be a little like being your your own lawyer.

I don't see how that's always a bad thing. You know what looks best on you, more than someone else would, so it would make sense if Catherine had a hand somewhat, in the design of her dress. It's her wedding dress -- why shouldn't it be something she's had a part in bringing to life? No one is suggesting she's been sewing the thing together all this time, but I'm sure she's discussed what shade of white would look best on her, if she likes lots of lace or less lace, if she wants this kind of neckline......things like that.

I think most brides having a wedding gown made (not bought off the peg) design it themselves to a degree. I know I did. I chose my own fabrics and embellishments ... chose type of sleeves, skirt etc. My dressmaker then drafted a pattern and off we went. The wedding gown of my dreams.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom