Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Sophie Cranston really took her time denying that she was the designer of choice for the wedding dress!
I suppose she wanted to utilize the priceless publicity, and I can't blame her for that- all the speculation put her company on the map!
Well, at least she got the publicity she wanted
Im must say I am very relieved that she wont be making the dress as her dresses on her site all looked like night gowns.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Im must say I am very relieved that she wont be making the dress as her dresses on her site all looked like night gowns.
Hear! Hear!

I never thought Libelula was a real contender.

Sophie Wessex wore what is described as an "ivory" dress in the book I have on that wedding...but it really looks white to me. It's certainly a different shade to the ivory Diana wore.

Catherine could pull off that rich cream colour favoured on the continent and that looks lovely with dark hair and a bit of a tan.

And do we think she'll be wearing silk or will we see The Return of Satin?

The suspense!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Well, at least she got the publicity she wanted
Agreed. A dress can be TOO plain for a royal wedding. You have to take into consideration the venue. Even with her height, Catherine can get lost walking down the aisle at Westminster Abbey if she wears a "nightgown." More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious. But we are royal watchers because they can put on the greatest show on earth, better than any Hollywood blockbuster.

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Agreed. A dress can be TOO plain for a royal wedding. You have to take into consideration the venue. Even with her height, Catherine can get lost walking down the aisle at Westminster Abbey if she wears a "nightgown." More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious. But we are royal watchers because they can put on the greatest show on earth, better than any Hollywood blockbuster.

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.
I Totally Agree.
And a bit more with the bold part: less is not always more.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
...More importantly, the taxpayers (and non-Brits who buy wedding souvenirs) want to get their money's worth. I know the economic climate is bad so the royal family is being budget conscious and trying not to be ostentatious...During the Great Depression, people went to the movies money several times a week to see beautiful starlets put on a show, prancing around in beautiful dresses, as an escape. And while I'm all for being sensible about the budget, if it's going to cost millions of pounds for security anyway, we should least get a gown worthy of the venue, the fuss, and billions of people who will have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the event.
Also, I am convinced this wedding is going to herald the start of a more positive, optimistic climate for Britain. Next year the London Olympics will be held and I feel Britain will start partying next Friday and not let up until the last firework has faded from the sky after the closing ceremony. Perhaps we'll look back on this wedding as the beginning of another "Cool Britannia" period?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness

What I hope for it's a dress that will make me feel the same way I felt when I first saw the Mario Testino's photos. more specifically the one with them W hugging K.
Surprised and teary
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Hurray! finally people who want some glam! While simplicity may suit Kate's personal style, I hope she takes into account the 2 billion people watching who want to be Wowed. We have seen plenty of plain satin dresses in the last several years on royal brides. I hope she designed something that will be talked about for decades. A real showstopper!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am trying to figure how out in a discussion of Catherine's wedding dress...we ended up talking about vamps?

I think every woman wants to look beautiful and desired on their wedding day, but vampish is not something I think applies to Catherine. She comes across as somewhat conservative and not that daring in her dress. Hardly thoughts that apply to those who are vamps. Oh and for the record, Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn not vamps. They were classic elegant beauties who IMO prove the adage that you can be just as desired wearing clothes as not wearing clothes.

Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe women who to me exude sexuality (but not in a vulgar way) are somewhat vamp like. Grace Kelly the actress was also not a vamp nor was Princess Grace of Monaco.

Thank you.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
Hurray! finally people who want some glam! While simplicity may suit Kate's personal style, I hope she takes into account the 2 billion people watching who want to be Wowed. We have seen plenty of plain satin dresses in the last several years on royal brides. I hope she designed something that will be talked about for decades. A real showstopper!
If she takes into account the 2 billion that maybe are watching she won't even get out of Goring Hotel

She needs to have in mind all the pages and pages WE have spend wondering about The Dress
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Princess View Post

Catherine could pull off that rich cream colour favoured on the continent and that looks lovely with dark hair and a bit of a tan.

And do we think she'll be wearing silk or will we see The Return of Satin?

The suspense!
I would love to see her dress with some lace or the veil with lace and some embellishments to give it a rich look & a shine. I think Kate would go for taffeta silk.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Gentry

Elegant glamour, a sparkling tiara and beautiful flowers with William in his RAF uniform. That's what I want to see.

I have a theory about the three dresses and the report that the dress would be auctioned for charity after.

I'm guessing she has her "prime" dress for the ceremony and a back-up in case there is a leak. The third dress is for the private evening reception. The back up dress could be the dress that will be auctioned off for charity.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Could Stella McCartney be designing her wedding gown?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae

If she takes into account the 2 billion that maybe are watching she won't even get out of Goring Hotel

She needs to have in mind all the pages and pages WE have spend wondering about The Dress
I agree! The endless speculation about her gown must make Catherine smile.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I don't think matters...the only time the concept of a woman not wearing white at her wedding was if this was her 2nd wedding.

And even THAT is not a consideration any more. Remember former Princess of Alexandra of Denmark at her second wedding to that young guy...all dolled up in a white gown and veil to boot?

Or Madonna when she married Guy Richie..in a white gown and her face covered with a white veil.

And this was HER second marriage after two children!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

An article on Yahoo states the Middleton's are paying $163,000 for the wedding icluding the bridal dressES- as in plural not just one so....not sure how accurate it is but, maybe there really are 2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110418...20110418190257
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Brides should wear what they want. If you're getting married for the first time and want to wear black, go for it. If you're getting married for the 5th time and want to wear white, go for it. It's the bride's day, it's her prerogative. I thought the Countess of Shackenborg's dress was very lovely, even if it was her 2nd wedding.

I don't believe in those archaic sensibilities, however I understand that for royalty, things are done differently. There is no option for Catherine to wear something other than a shade of white, and I get that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Could Stella McCartney be designing her wedding gown?

I never thought of Stella McCarthey designing Catherine's dress. I not sure Stella's designs fit Catherine.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

I read an article saying Catherine had designed her own wedding gown. If true, that might be a little like being your your own lawyer.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see how that's always a bad thing. You know what looks best on you, more than someone else would, so it would make sense if Catherine had a hand somewhat, in the design of her dress. It's her wedding dress -- why shouldn't it be something she's had a part in bringing to life? No one is suggesting she's been sewing the thing together all this time, but I'm sure she's discussed what shade of white would look best on her, if she likes lots of lace or less lace, if she wants this kind of neckline......things like that.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
I read an article saying Catherine had designed her own wedding gown. If true, that might be a little like being your your own lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I don't see how that's always a bad thing. You know what looks best on you, more than someone else would, so it would make sense if Catherine had a hand somewhat, in the design of her dress. It's her wedding dress -- why shouldn't it be something she's had a part in bringing to life? No one is suggesting she's been sewing the thing together all this time, but I'm sure she's discussed what shade of white would look best on her, if she likes lots of lace or less lace, if she wants this kind of neckline......things like that.
I think most brides having a wedding gown made (not bought off the peg) design it themselves to a degree. I know I did. I chose my own fabrics and embellishments ... chose type of sleeves, skirt etc. My dressmaker then drafted a pattern and off we went. The wedding gown of my dreams.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding