Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Royal Wedding, what else is there to discuss about Wills and Kate? I sense the Royal's room (British) will remain silent..Until they return from their honeymoon.....and until Kate is with child:whistling:

So I surmise we will discuss The Monarchy of France...till then, I have scones, Earl Grey tea and biscuits.

After the Royal Wedding, what else is there to discuss about Wills and Kate? I sense the Royal's room (British) will remain silent..Until they return from their honeymoon.....and until Kate is with child:whistling:

So I surmise we will discuss The Monarchy of France...till then, I have scones, Earl Grey tea and biscuits.

Oh I imagine all the Wills and Kate forums are going to be jumping with each and every detail of the wedding, what was worn, who said what and onwards. We've hashed out every minute detail to the nth degree since the engagement and I don't expect any less after the the wedding is over.

Should be enough to get us by till they return from the honeymoon and prepare for their Canadian trip!

The big moment for me on Friday will be when Kate steps out of the car in her dress. I expect she is going to be totally gorgeous!

I think that's she's got so slim that she will look good in anything. I suppose that we shall just have to wait and see. As for her tiara, she will enter the abbey wearing flowers or just a veil on her head...she will exit wearing a tiara. (I would not be suprised to see her wearing the Spencer, as she has Di's ring.) These facts have put me off, because I can't open a newspaper or listen to the news, without hearing about Diana. (I was not fond of her, and think that William should perhaps be showing a little more thought for his father.) I don't mean to offend anyone, just my thoughts.

I think that's she's got so slim that she will look good in anything. I suppose that we shall just have to wait and see. As for her tiara, she will enter the abbey wearing flowers or just a veil on her head...she will exit wearing a tiara. (I would not be suprised to see her wearing the Spencer, as she has Di's ring.) These facts have put me off, because I can't open a newspaper or listen to the news, without hearing about Diana. (I was not fond of her, and think that William should perhaps be showing a little more thought for his father.) I don't mean to offend anyone, just my thoughts.

The Spencer tiara isn't an option. It belongs to the Spencer family and since she is not marrying the Earl Spencer or his heir, nor is she the daughter of the current Earl, she won't be wearing it.

No to the Spencer tiara. Just no. She's not a Spencer bride, she's not marrying into the Spencer family. While William is half-Spencer, and his maternal aunts and uncle will be present, she's marrying into a royal family, which is a bit more than your average everyday family. She's marrying into an institution, the House of Windsor. Doesn't matter where William's mother came from, sad as that may be.

The Spencer tiara is not available for her to wear, she has no right or entitlement to it, just because she's marrying a man who is half-Spencer.

It is quite traditional in Britain to have an 'evening' do at which you invite more people - usually the people you are not as close to - with the reception immediately following the ceremony reserved for close family and friends.

The evening do usually has the dancing element and finger food or a simple buffet, with the first reception being more of a formal sit-down meal with the speeches.

It's an interesting way to do things. So, what is the etiquette? Do the bride and groom wear their wedding-ceremony attire to the evening party, or do they change? What does everyone do all afternoon? (Keep it clean! :whistling: )

Maybe Catherine will wear a wedding dress that could be easily adapted to an evening dance/supper, with the removal of a train...hopefully she'll keep the tiara on!

Sister Morphine and texankitcat, I share your frustration with people who keep insisting Catherine has a right to wear the Spencer family's tiara...how many times can you say Not An Option/No/Not Gonna Happen?

Last edited:
I do agree that the Spencer tiara is not an option for Catherine to wear. And for once I agree that too much time & energy is being focused on Diana, Princess of Wales. I think that Charles should really be getting some credit here, he's done a remarkable job raising the boys. Not only that, but this is Catherine & William's day and nothing should spoil that.

I do agree that the Spencer tiara is not an option for Catherine to wear. And for once I agree that too much time & energy is being focused on Diana, Princess of Wales. I think that Charles should really be getting some credit here, he's done a remarkable job raising the boys. Not only that, but this is Catherine & William's day and nothing should spoil that.

Absolutely! Charles deserves as much credit as Diana in how these boys have been raised into men of compassion, substance and their touch with common people. I have read many books on the Royal Family, and one thing that has come through consistently is that despite the drama in the marriage, Charles and Diana were in complete agreement in the raising of their children. He has continued her legacy with them of keeping them grounded and in touch with the common man, and yet knowing their place in their duties to the crown.

Also, William's (and Harry) relationship with Earl Spencer, the owner of the tiara, has not been extremely close. Despite his pledge to help raise the boys, by all accounts, Earl Spencer has not been very involved in the boys' life after the funeral, despite making millions off of the traveling Diana exhibit (which definitely is more than average museum admission). The Earl and Diana had falling outs over her use of the Spencer tiara and his not letting her stay at Althorp during her separation and divorce.
Granted, this is mostly rumor and the Earl's marital record has not given him a positive image. But it's very telling that he is sitting with the Middletons and not with the Windsors even though he is family of the groom. Given the personal involvement William has in his own wedding, I doubt he would have accepted this slight if he were really close to his uncle. So besides the facts listed above that Catherine is not a Spencer and not marrying into the Spencer family, there are many other personal reasons she will not wear that tiara. Finally, the Spencer tiara is part of the traveling exhibition (and I've seen it on display) so it will be in Kansas City, Missouri and not Westminster Abbey come Friday.
Tiara gallery from the Diana, a celebration exhibition.

Last edited:
The Earl AND his children are sitting with the Middletons? That is strange, imo. :ermm:

What about Diana's sisters Lady Sarah and Lady Jane?

The Earl AND his children are sitting with the Middletons? That is strange, imo. :ermm:

I really don't find it that odd. The South Lantern (did I get that right?) will be for the royal family and the North Lantern for for the Middletons and the other relatives. Lady Sarah and Lady Jane and spouses will be sitting with the Spencers from what I've seen.

IMO, where the Spencers are seated for the ceremony, it actually I think complimentary to them. If they are behind the Middletons, it would be as whoever is seated in the second row behind the Queen and the DoE. (I think its HM, DoE, Charles and Camilla in the first row).

When my son married last summer as his father and I are divorced, we were seated on opposite sides. As mother of the groom, My husband and I sat with the mother of the bride and her husband while my ex and his wife sat opposite with members of his family.

I think both William and Kate have put a lot of thought in how they wanted to do this and I like it so far.

I really don't find it that odd. The South Lantern (did I get that right?) will be for the royal family and the North Lantern for for the Middletons and the other relatives. Lady Sarah and Lady Jane and spouses will be sitting with the Spencers from what I've seen.

IMO, where the Spencers are seated for the ceremony, it actually I think complimentary to them. If they are behind the Middletons, it would be as whoever is seated in the second row behind the Queen and the DoE. (I think its HM, DoE, Charles and Camilla in the first row).

I think both William and Kate have put a lot of thought in how they wanted to do this and I like it so far.

Agreed. I don't think it's all that strange when you consider that the Spencers are sitting directly across from the foreign royalty in attendance who are, for the most part, not terribly distant relatives of the Windsors.

I could see Kate in a puffy dress, like the one worn by Grace Kelly, I think it would suit her well but I hope her dress has some lace instead of it be just plain which sometimes can look very boring. I also hope there are some king of embellishments (something like Princess Letizia's wedding dress) but not so much.

I'm curious about the comments the other day (can't recall the source) that the dress would have a renaissance "feel" about it, especially since the hair style Kate had leaving the hair salon the other day was drawn back and looked like it might be coiled somehow around the back of her head. Looking at paintings of that period the hairstyles are a bit like that so I'm even more curious if the rumor about the dress could be true.

I'm curious about the comments the other day (can't recall the source) that the dress would have a renaissance "feel" about it, especially since the hair style Kate had leaving the hair salon the other day was drawn back and looked like it might be coiled somehow around the back of her head. Looking at paintings of that period the hairstyles are a bit like that so I'm even more curious if the rumor about the dress could be true.

Now wouldn't it be amazing to find out after the fact that the dress was actually based on a one of the pictures from Art History I01 (or whatever it was called) when the two of them studied together?

Princess Alexandra's lace wedding dress gave her endless trouble on the blue carpet of the abbey, and no bride chose it since. The news today that the carpet will be changed to a red one is perhaps an indication that Ms middleton has chosen lace for her dress.

I don't understand what the color of the carpet has to do with it. :ermm:

Princess Alexandra's lace wedding dress gave her endless trouble on the blue carpet of the abbey, and no bride chose it since. The news today that the carpet will be changed to a red one is perhaps an indication that Ms middleton has chosen lace for her dress.

If Princess Alexandra's dress gave her trouble on the carpet, it was due to the fabric catching on it, not the actual color of the carpet. A blue carpet and a red carpet aren't different except for the color, and a red carpet would catch on that dress just the same.

Carpet will always give you trouble depending on how thick/soft the texture is. Kate's designer could put silk on the inside sides for it to slide nicely across the carpet, that way it wont give her any problems.

hmmm...so does this mean that the bridesmaids might be wearing blue?

Wedding dress

I like English fashion and Kate Middleton's dress is very classy. I wish they did knock-offs in France.

Uh-oh!

Would you mind terribly adding another word or two to your name?
Because I think it will soon become extremely confusing!!!:flowers:

I know our names aren't identical but they are close enough to confuse others here, don't you think?

Last edited:
Diana's sisters are on the Middleton side as well, in the front row. Mrs. and Mrs. Middleton and James are nearest the altar, then Diana's sisters and husbands and then the Earl and fiancee at the end of the row. Interesting.

As Kate has lost a lot of weight in recent weeks, I can´t see her in a bulky wedding-dress.

I imagine her in a simple flowing silk dress with long sleeves and a long train.

The Spencers will be seated with the Middletons because they aren't royalty. If you look at the way the seating has been arranged, all the royals (the members of the BRF and foreign royals) are seated on one side, the non-royals on the other. They don't divide it up groom's side/bride's side like a regular wedding you or I might attend. They divide it royalty/non-royalty.

I'm really hoping she'll go way out and wear a glamorous dress. My fingers are crossed! If only I knew the designer:( I'd be able to tell the look she'd choose for her wedding dress.

I don't want her to have a long train . I don't see the need for it

Then you are one of the few who think that way, most of us want to see her with an at least decent train :D.

Originally Posted by akina21
I don't want her to have a long train . I don't see the need for it

You have to give the bridesmaids something to do. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom