Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that it needs to be at least 15 feet....anything shorter than won't do the Abbey any justice IMO.

And now I am off to watch the cheesy William and Kate?!

Zonk said:
I am thinking that it needs to be at least 15 feet....anything shorter than won't do the Abbey any justice IMO.

And now I am off to watch the cheesy William and Kate?!

I'm gonna watch it too :)

Edit- wow! It's cheesy but also weird to watch a Lifetime movie about something that is actually happening now and not like 20 yrs ago and 'Kate' had no English accent

Edit 2- and for the see through dress scene they made Kate seem very vampy

Last edited:
Well I googled what ent tonite said, kate's gown, satin, lace 10 ft train, she will wear pearl/diamond earring's and a TIARA BOROWed FROM her Majesty.
oh and buttons....this is the most we've heard, and Kate started designing her gown before discussing with the designer.

This is a lady who puts thoughts into what ever she does.
Landing HRH proves that!:whistling:

Many young ladies design their wedding dresses long before they even have a potential husband. I am sure there are also many re-design "adjustments" over the years. I don't even fiind that strange at all. :)

Many young ladies design their wedding dresses long before they even have a potential husband. I am sure there are also many re-design "adjustments" over the years. I don't even fiind that strange at all. :)

Little girls start dreaming of their wedding day and wedding dress mostly from a very early age and dream of THE princess dress. Only thing different with Kate is that she'll actually be a real grown up princess.

I really can't wait to see what this dress looks like. If Kate designed it, its not going to be a cream puff with sugar on top dress. I bet it will totally stunning.

I can't wait to see the dress either. Regardless of what it is and who has designed it, it's going to be THE iconic dress of this decade and possibly the century. I'm excited about the impact it's going to have on wedding fashion - not necessarily haute couture - but popular wedding fashion.

For the same reason I'm keen to see the bridesmaids. I went to weddings in the 1990's at which the bridesmaids were still carrying floral hoops a la Sarah of York's wedding.

My guess is blue for the bridesmaids - Pippa Middleton's dress might be a deep royal or navy blue of the shades Catherine seems to favour and I think the little ones (Lola, Louise, Margarita and Eliza) will wear white or cream, rather traditionally styled dresses with blue sashes. Pure speculation. But it's bluebell season in England, right now is the time of year they begin appearing in the woodlands so I'm hoping that will be the colour incorporated into the wedding party and maybe they will appear in the flowers too?

I loved Jasper Conran's design for Sarah Chatto and I am cheering for the designer of Catherine's dress to be him.

And another thought - Catherine studied History of Art at St Andrews, perhaps a particular artist or school will influence the dress design? After all she has access to an amazing collection of portraits now...

I can't wait to see the dress either. Regardless of what it is and who has designed it, it's going to be THE iconic dress of this decade and possibly the century. I'm excited about the impact it's going to have on wedding fashion - not necessarily haute couture - but popular wedding fashion.

For the same reason I'm keen to see the bridesmaids. I went to weddings in the 1990's at which the bridesmaids were still carrying floral hoops a la Sarah of York's wedding.

My guess is blue for the bridesmaids - Pippa Middleton's dress might be a deep royal or navy blue of the shades Catherine seems to favour and I think the little ones (Lola, Louise, Margarita and Eliza) will wear white or cream, rather traditionally styled dresses with blue sashes. Pure speculation. But it's bluebell season in England, right now is the time of year they begin appearing in the woodlands so I'm hoping that will be the colour incorporated into the wedding party and maybe they will appear in the flowers too?

I loved Jasper Conran's design for Sarah Chatto and I am cheering for the designer of Catherine's dress to be him.

I wish you had designed the dresses because I'm hoping for a blue theme too! Bluebell blue would be absolutely stunning and they are indeed just coming out so here's hoping at least for the bluebells in the flowers if not the bridesmaids dresses!

My guess is blue for the bridesmaids - Pippa Middleton's dress might be a deep royal or navy blue of the shades Catherine seems to favour and I think the little ones (Lola, Louise, Margarita and Eliza) will wear white or cream, rather traditionally styled dresses with blue sashes

You mean Grace, not Lola. The other bridesmaid aside from the three you mentioned is Grace van Cutsem.

Yes, thanks Sister Morphine, I do mean Grace. I have twin cousins called Grace and Lola and often get the names mixed up.

Do you suppose Kate will marry "Arthur William Philip Louis," the way Diana and Sarah transposed their grooms names? (I think Sophie got Edward's name right, so maybe she broke the streak...)

I read that there was some Renaissance influence in the dress design - imagine a picture of such a wedding dress? I think it could end up like any modern design, not only the soft flowing gowns of Sophie Crants that can be seen on internet. I believe it will be beautiful. As for a blue colour scheme, actually blue would be lovely, but I hope then that The Queen won't also wear blue.

It's tradition for the groom not to see the wedding dress until the bride walks down the aisle, so I'm not surprised about that. I think that's a neat thing -- you can really knock the guy's socks off! :lol:

I'm so burned out by all the speculation. Last week I vowed I wouldn't visit the Forum, but it is magnetic. I don't want to miss someone posting something profound!

Perhaps Kate will model her gown on the historical Alice Tinker wedding gown. I live in hope.

I'm so burned out by all the speculation. Last week I vowed I wouldn't visit the Forum, but it is magnetic. I don't want to miss someone posting something profound!

Perhaps Kate will model her gown on the historical Alice Tinker wedding gown. I live in hope.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thank goodness I had swallowed my tea before reading your post. I really hate cleaning my monitor!

I'm hoping for just the right shade of white - you know, not the same white as Diana's, not the white that usually shows up in Princess dresses, but something that will enhance Kate's lovely skin tones. Diana was really porcelain and peach in color, Kate has a little more tan to her skin and I think a really subtle interplay between pearly white and some other classic white will be amazing. I also hope there's not a bunch of stuff attached to her dress, long clean lines. Could even lack lace, especially if she is going to have pearls on it somewhere.

Blue for bridesmaid's dress would be great. Properly done, bluebells in the bouquet could be amazing, as long as the overall presentation still emphasis Kate and her face, and not the bouquet itself. Looking back, Diana's dress was overwhelming - but since I believed at the time I "knew" Diana better than I "know" Kate, it was okay - I was still entranced with Diana and her face, and so was everyone I knew who watched it.

Kate has exhibited less of a public persona than Diana, for whatever reason, but what she has conveyed is a kind of serenity, restraint and poise - I hope she keeps those qualities in her dress.

I'm hoping for just the right shade of white - you know, not the same white as Diana's, not the white that usually shows up in Princess dresses, but something that will enhance Kate's lovely skin tones. Diana was really porcelain and peach in color, Kate has a little more tan to her skin and I think a really subtle interplay between pearly white and some other classic white will be amazing. I also hope there's not a bunch of stuff attached to her dress, long clean lines. Could even lack lace, especially if she is going to have pearls on it somewhere.
I hope she keeps those qualities in her dress.

I am still hoping for the marzipan cupcake dress with lots of detail and sparklies.... and at least a 15' train. :lol:

PrincessKaimi said:
I'm hoping for just the right shade of white - you know, not the same white as Diana's, not the white that usually shows up in Princess dresses, but something that will enhance Kate's lovely skin tones.

I'm hoping she wears the right shade of white too...the right shade IMO is white...not eggshell, not off white, not mother of pearls, but white. A lot of the princess didn't wear the correct shade...Victoria was the only that came close to the wearing "white" IMO. Mary's dress was nowhere near white...not sure if it was intentional or accidental.

I'm hoping she wears the right shade of white too...the right shade IMO is white...not eggshell, not off white, not mother of pearls, but white. A lot of the princess didn't wear the correct shade...Victoria was the only that came close to the wearing "white" IMO. Mary's dress was nowhere near white...not sure if it was intentional or accidental.

According to the Danish Monarchy Web site, her dress was white but with a mother-of-pearl shine. And the latter was the most visible, so I suspect intentional.
Victoria's dress was cream-coloured.

On Catherine's skin white would make her look ghastly. She needs to wear an ivory or an eggshell or an ecru or something a bit darker than "OMG virgin white".

Brides need to wear a dress that compliments their skin color if they are staying in the "white" family, not go for pure snow white because they need to look like a virginal angel being led to the altar. On Victoria's skin, white looked best. Had she worn something darker, it wouldn't have looked right. You can't have one thing look great on every single person wearing it.

That was indeed intentional. The dress had to match the color of the lace from Queen Ingrid´s mother.

White silk cannot produce a true/pure white color, so most wedding dresses are actually some shade/variation of white, ivory or cream.

I would love to see something to Mette-Marit's wedding gown. It was so simple and understated and will show off her enviable figure.

And of course, what other fabric would I like better than some sort of silk? Since it cannot be that ghastly bright white, perhaps that's why I like it. She should not look as if she's wearing photocopier paper white, is what I'm saying (she won't, I trust her).

I agree the Mette-Marit gown is exactly what I have in mind, and I think it's going to be in that ballpark, with a different neckline and however long a train she's chosen. If it is 10 feet, I think the old Abbey will not overwhelm it, in fact, it will be poignant to see Kate walk down the aisle without the incredibly long train (which tends to get the viewers very involved in just watching how it makes it down the aisle).

Kate should be the focus, and not because she's broken some record or thought up something altogether new (I sure hope they are not too avant garde and that the dress is elegant and stunning, not ground breaking).

Well, Libelula sure got lots of hits on her website/lookbook, regardless of whether she's the designer or not (I never could get in, kept getting a too much web traffic page). And now, I guess I'll forget about it and cling to the next piece of random gossip about the darn dress.

On Catherine's skin white would make her look ghastly. She needs to wear an ivory or an eggshell or an ecru or something a bit darker than "OMG virgin white".

Brides need to wear a dress that compliments their skin color if they are staying in the "white" family, not go for pure snow white because they need to look like a virginal angel being led to the altar. On Victoria's skin, white looked best. Had she worn something darker, it wouldn't have looked right. You can't have one thing look great on every single person wearing it.

I completely totally 100% concur. I think it is generally very unflattering. I think oyster color or pearl white(the stunningly beautiful color of the late Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy's bridal gown) is a close to pure white that I have ever liked on fair skin. I also loved Victoria's...but from some angles that gown also looked slightly pearl colored.

It really does does depend on a woman's skin tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom