Best Dressed Royal Lady at the Dutch Inauguration Festivities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who was the best dressed royal lady at the Dutch inauguration festivities?

• 1) Queen/Princess Beatrix

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 2) Princess/Queen Máxima

Votes: 90 44.6%
  • 3) Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • 4) Sheikha Mozah of Qatar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5) Crown Princess Masako of Japan

• 6) The Duchess of Cornwall

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • 7) Crown Princess Sarah of Burnei

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 8) Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • 9) Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 10) The Princess of Asturias

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • 11) Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein

• 12) Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 13) The Duchess of Brabant

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • 14) Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie of Luxembourg

• 15) Princess Margriet of The Netherlands

• 16) Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand

• 17) Princess Irene of The Netherlands

• 18) Princess Christina of The Netherlands

• 19) Princess Sarvath of Jordan

• 20) Princess Laurentien of The Netherlands

• 21) Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 22) Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxima (in a class all her own, not really fair to compare the others to her on her day)
The Others:
1Letizia
2Mathilde
3Camilla
4Victoria
5Mary

No Princess Mabel :eek:

Definitely the new QUEEN - Queen Maxima was the best dress in all parts of inauguration :flowers:

No Princess Mabel :eek:

LOL, no Mabel unless we do a worst dressed poll and even then she would lose to Sheikha Mozah and her "evil queen fights off ninjas" inauguration dress. Now she was one scary looking lady on the day.

I could not disagree more that Maxima was worst dressed IMO she looked just amazing on all the occasions .. I too am a total Maxima lover but am not frightened to say that she has missed the beat on loads of enegagements but on this her most finest hour .. she was and looked amazing.

I thought Maxima was stunning, I wasn't really fond of the first night's dress, but after that, she looked so regal and stunning in her outfits, plus she had to dress the triple A's and they looks probably the best I have ever seen them look, well put together, matching without being to cutesy. I love what someone pointed out in another thread, when the girls stood up for the group pictures, all their dresses were the same length, that was a stroke of genius, I wouldn't of thought of it. After Maxima, I have to say, Letizia was my other favorite!

The first night Maxima was not queen yet. I think she was trying to let Beatrix shine.

I did not like Maxima's blue -what was it : a coat or a wrap ? - the shoulders were horrible.
Best dressed on all occasions : Mathilde.

I picked Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein as the overall winner.

For Inauguration, Queen Beatrix was the best followed by the new Queen Maxima.

My top 5 for each event:
Rijks Museum
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Princess Margriet of The Netherlands
Princess Sarvat El Hassan

Inauguration
Queen Beatrix
Queen Maxima
Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
The Duchess of Brabant

Muziekgebouw
Sheikha Mozah of Qatar
Princess Irene of The Netherlands
Queen Maxima
Queen Beatrix

Some dresses were pretty but not appropriate.

At the Investiture Ceremony

1.Queen Maxima
2.The Princess of Asturias
3.The Duchess of Brabant
4.Princess Beatrix

of the other Dutch Royals Princesses Margriet and Irene got the thumbs up.

Last edited:
Maxima was stunning, Matilde was very close in line. Mary was gorgeous, except for the afternoon outfit, Lalla Salma looked as she usually does, a bathrobe outfit. Princess Mabel's weird white sleeve dress I cannot defend, but she has a lot on her plate and Mozah did look like a strange outer space, fictional, something. The Princess of Asturias looked very good, but pained.

I picked Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein as the overall winner.

For Inauguration, Queen Beatrix was the best followed by the new Queen Maxima.

My top 5 for each event:
Rijks Museum
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Princess Margriet of The Netherlands
Princess Sarvat El Hassan

Inauguration
Queen Beatrix
Queen Maxima
Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
The Duchess of Brabant

Muziekgebouw
Sheikha Mozah of Qatar
Princess Irene of The Netherlands
Queen Maxima
Queen Beatrix

Some dresses were pretty but not appropriate.

As she lost, according to you in 2 categories, how was she the overall winner. She had very little on to promote fashion, if that is the criteria.

I did not like Maxima's blue -what was it : a coat or a wrap ? - the shoulders were horrible.

It was a coat-like cape, in lieu of the ermine cape that her husband wore. She is, after all, the queen consort.

Of note, in England the queen consort wears an ermine cape on coronation day much like her husband the King, although hers is typically adorned with more embroidery. http://britishfoodhistory.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/coronation-of-george-and-mary.jpg http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2000/07/14/mum6.jpg

In other monarchies - e.g., the coronation of Emperor Karl of Austria as King of Hugary - there was no ermine but rather an embroidered cape. However, in that case his wife, Empress/Queen Zita, also had the more elaborate embroidery: http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2000/07/14/mum6.jpg

In this modern age, Maxima seems to have opted for no ermine to match Willem-Alexander, and no embroidery.... The least she could do is have a handsome cape/coat to match her dress!

Last edited:
Maxima's blue outfit wins of course, followed by Mathilde's pink dress .

I voted for Letizia as I thought she was the best dressed throughout the celebrations. Maxima was another favorite as well as Mary. Lalla Salma won as best traditional and originality IMO.

Rijks Museum
CP Letizia
CP Mary
CP Mathilde

Inauguration
Queen Maxima
CP Victoria
CP Mathilde
CP Mary
CP Letizia

Muziekgebouw
Queen Maxima
CP Mary
CP Mathilde

Last edited:
Lady Daphne

Letizia wins all the prizes for me. She constantly out-fashions all the partygoers. Letizia has a special regal, elegant, sophisticated look, but yet has a 'sexy' quality to her that outsines all others. Ole!!!!

Sorry, Mathilde and Maxima have her out classed at each turn, Plus they don't look skeletal, but healthy and have big smiles on their faces. Mary, too is a front runner.

Letizia wins all the prizes for me. She constantly out-fashions all the partygoers. Letizia has a special regal, elegant, sophisticated look, but yet has a 'sexy' quality to her that outsines all others. Ole!!!!

She is beautiful but rarely looks happy or comfortable in her role.

My votes goes to Letizia with no doubt !!!! Also, I appreciate maxima's blue gown a lot

My top 3 were Maxima , Matilda and the Duchess of Cornwall who sometimes I might not vote for but on this occasion I think her designs were very elegant and flattering.

Queen/Princess Beatrix - Dinner and Concert outfits were blah but deserves a special mention from me because her dress for the inauguration was amazing.

Máxima: Her inauguration dress+cape was AMAZING, the other two were ok but I was expecting a bit more from her.

Lalla Salma: Just perfect.
Sheika Mozah: Great at the concert but the othe rone was nothing special.
Camilla: I think she was amazing on both ocasions.
Mary: Was the best dresses at the dinner (everything was to die for) but I hated the inauguration one
Victoria: The first two were ok but nothing special, the 3rd the fur coat doesn't go with the dress. In overall, she shone in none.
Letizia: Brilliant in the first 2 but the second was too simple and would have looked better if the hair was like in the other photo.
Sophie of Liechtenstein: One of the best dressed at the dinner.
Mette-Marit: the 1st was beaufitul but not appropriate for the ocasion. The 2nd was to die for and the 3rd was ok.
Mathilde: Looks good overall but nothing that impressed me.
Stephanie: Elie Saab was good but the way she wore the shawl, blah. The other 2 were bad.
Laurentien: was Hot in the 1st one, and very good with the other 2
Mabel: 1st one was terrible. The 2nd was very good. And she was the best one at the concert.

So, for each event, the best were, IMO:
Dinner: 1st-Mary; 2nd-Lalla Salma; 3rd- Camilla
Inauguration: 1st:Mette-Marit; 2nd: Camilla; 3rd:Letizia
Concert: 1st-Mabel; 2nd-Laurentien;3rd-Lalla Salma

In overall, my top is: Mette-Marit,Lalla Salma, Camilla, Letizia, Laurentien and Mabel

Last edited:
all the ladies looked great.
my favorite were Lalla salma and Queen maxima.

My best dressed of the 3 events:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: The Dutch Pre-Inauguration Dinner

1. Mary
2. Lalla Salma
3. Princess Sarvath
4. Mathilde
5. Letizia
6. Laurentien

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: Guests at the Dutch Inauguration

1. Queen Maxima
2. Letizia
3. Victoria
4. Mathilde
5. Lalla Salma
6. Princess Carolina
7. Princess Marilène
8. Princess Anita
9. Princess Irene

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Gold Star: Máxima in the Evening

1. Queen Maxima
2. Mathilde