Are these outfits suitable for official events?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
This thread is to discuss whether or not outfits worn by royals are suitable for official events they attened to. Is it too casual, to dressy etc...

Please remember this is a discussion thread and not a picture posting thread with no comments made :flowers:

Nov 15, 2009 - Princess Mathilde at the occasion of the King`s Day at the Cathedral of Brussels.
Picture

Nov 18, 2009 - Princess Letizia visited a traditional Students Residence in Madrid.
Picture

:previous: How "official" was the event? If they were on a morning outing, both outfits although casual, imho seem appropriate.
Does it say what they were doing when they both appeared in these outfits?:flowers:
This should turn out to be a very interesting thread.

IMO its depend of the event...is there others States or Government chiefs ? religious events ? very official (with army, ministers, ambassadors, foreign delegation...)
in "letizia's case" : visiting young students, by day, in spain , in students residents ...it's ok ...

Well I think that otufits for official visits should look much more official.
These two outfits are ok but...
Mathilde's doesn't fit to her at all! And it's terrible not only for occasion like this but for any others I think. Skirt short and to high. Shirt too big.
Letizia's is ok to visited students. This event was not so much official. Of course shoes doesn't fit to other parts of her outfit and she should wear other belt.

I think Letizia's outfit was all right, she wanted to look approachable and in touch when visiting the students.

Mathilde's was suitable to the occasion, just not very good for her figure. The blouse was overwhelming and the skirt's waistline was too high for her, given that she has such long legs. Reminds me of the old man/Peter Ustinov trick, to pull your old man pants up way past your waist so that you can forget you no longer have a waist!

IMO its depend of the event...is there others States or Government chiefs ? religious events ? very official (with army, ministers, ambassadors, foreign delegation...)
in "letizia's case" : visiting young students, by day, in spain , in students residents ...it's ok ...
Very true. IMO it's not just the outfit but the event in question. Moreover personally I find it very dated, old-fashioned and quite pretentious the way some Royals dress at times.

I think CP Mathilde has been carrying out her role long enough to know what to wear at most functions - it's hard to tell if her outfit is appropriate without seeing what other women were wearing. I do agree that the shape of her dress/skirt was not flattering as she has very long legs as well as being curvy of the hips and so a bell/tulip shape with a high waist is not suited to her figure (IMO!). CP Letizia wore quite a casual outfit, but it seems it was quite a casual, low-key event rather than a state occassion and she looked very respectable.

:previous:

Not suitable IMO. And it doesn't depend on the event in this case, it just doesn't suit to a Crown Princess, even less if she's in official function.

I'm scratching my head on the trend of wearing black hose. I've seen CP Mary wear them as well. What? Nude hose are seen as tacky and the colored hoses are too bright? I don't think they suit either princess, especially with high heels. Maybe with boots as Madeline has worn in the past, but she is younger than both Letizia and Mary.

:previous: Of course they aren´t, IMO. I wear them when I go out with friends at night.

What do yopu think about Letizia's leather pants and leather pants in general? Are they suiteable for official engagements at all?
http://i46.tinypic.com/214qrh3.jpg
(purepeople)

Dont mind the leather pants or boots in general, fine for private life where anyone can do what pleases.
Big NO for any official event even if visiting a biker fair since the royal is not there as private person but in order to represent the royal family or even country at times.

For me an outfit is usually wrong when it overshadows the event, especially with Letizia where media will mainly focus on her appearance like miniskirts, high heels etc, and not the cause. In my opinion a royal dressing provocative for an event means deliberately taking the focus off the cause for attention seeking purpose while dressing too casual means a lack of respect for the cause or the people attending.

One, if not the best dresser of all is the methusalem royal QE II, who has a fantastic dress sense and outfits for her age, never too casual, never provocative, never attention seeking, always suitable for the occasion, simply flawless without being boring. The young generation has a major lack of class in that sense, either too much focussed on flashy designers or careless in appearance.

Shiny leather pants are appropriate for girls in their early 20's - if they have long skinny legs and generally, a gorgeous body. I don't know what she was thinking this morning - that so many people feel a bit depressed with the recession and all and need a good laugh?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the simple black riding boots. But it's obvious that they were not appropriate for this event either.

Truth be told, I ask myself quite often lately why bother visiting Letizia's fashion threads anymore. I need to think about it more seriously, as it seems.

Letizia's outfit was definitely one of the worst. :ermm:

Leather pants are definitely not appropriate for official engagements...most definitely not.

Dont mind the leather pants or boots in general, fine for private life where anyone can do what pleases.
Big NO for any official event even if visiting a biker fair since the royal is not there as private person but in order to represent the royal family or even country at times.

For me an outfit is usually wrong when it overshadows the event, especially with Letizia where media will mainly focus on her appearance like miniskirts, high heels etc, and not the cause. In my opinion a royal dressing provocative for an event means deliberately taking the focus off the cause for attention seeking purpose while dressing too casual means a lack of respect for the cause or the people attending.

One, if not the best dresser of all is the methusalem royal QE II, who has a fantastic dress sense and outfits for her age, never too casual, never provocative, never attention seeking, always suitable for the occasion, simply flawless without being boring. The young generation has a major lack of class in that sense, either too much focussed on flashy designers or careless in appearance.

I like your point about taking attention away from what the cause is or the point of the visit onto herself when she dresses as she has been.

I agree the leather pants look out of place, particularly with the jacket.
However I'm not the cynical type and don't think that Letizia dresses this way deliberately to stand out, that would be rather presumptive. The media will always focus more on her appearance than the event and that's true of any of the stylish royal ladies out there, it's the nature of the beast.

I agree with Humera, I dont think it was done to take attention away, Letizia does have some really odd fashion moments.
Leather pants IMo dont work for a princess but a leather skirt wouldve been just fine.

Letizia looks like a doll to me quite child like in her frail appearance and I am not going to go there except to offer that as IMO so FOR ME she looks really silly in most outfits and the leather pants are too shiny and she is too small to wear them she looks comical in private she can do as she pleases But in public I believe she has to do better.

I agree the leather pants look out of place, particularly with the jacket.
However I'm not the cynical type and don't think that Letizia dresses this way deliberately to stand out, that would be rather presumptive. The media will always focus more on her appearance than the event and that's true of any of the stylish royal ladies out there, it's the nature of the beast.

Completely agree. When Letizia wore all business suits cut in about the same way by Varela for a 50-year-old back in 2005 and 2006, the press didn't lose any interest either even thought they were complaining constantly those suits were too old for her. I think she just wants to 'experiment' different styles for some non major events, she still wears classic style clothes for big events, such as PoA awards, national day, state visits and etc.

Letizia does have the strangest outfits in most of her official functions. Some of them are not really appropriate like wearing a small bag around your body. This maybe "OK" when she's visiting a student's act but not when you are in an official function. Her latest outfit, the one when she's wearing a beige dress with brown stockings seem to be appropriate. It's not really tacky but somewhat related to the event (being an art event perhaps). Her shiny stockings should be worn in a less formal events not on official ones. I don't mind her wearing these but choose an informal event to do so. Wear suits like the ones she did way back during her early years as a CPss during an official events. I love Letizia but her style is becoming more and more trendy. Trendy is not bad at all but consider your style of being trendy and appropriate at the same time.

But then she wore a lot of suits at the beginning of her marriage and some people found it boring!
In that respect I see a similarity here with Queen Rania who also wore a lot of tailored pant/skirt suits during her early years as Queen. The overall look was perfect and coordinated.
Over the last couple of years the trend has been to mix and match colours and textures, the overall look could be hit or miss and not always to everyone's taste.

I think that Mathilde's outfit was ok for the even, however I didn't care for the fit of the skirt. Other than that, she looked professional and the colors were very pretty on her. (Loved her shoes!). I think Letizia's outfit she wore while visiting the student's residence was perfect. Casual, yet still professional and appropriate. And the colors were very flattering on her, especially the purple-pink sweater. The grey minidress was horrible, not just b/c it looked too big, but it was also too short. The shoes she wore with the minidress were awful too. Unless she was going to a club, this outfit in my opinion was enitrely inappropriate for a princess. I also agree with many of you that the leather pants were not appropriate for Letizia to wear, especially if it was a state event. If she was going out with her friends or to a club, then that would be ok, if she wore them as a private citizen. I think as a CP, she could get away with wearing perhaps a leather skirt, if it wasn't too short, and it was paired with perhaps more tailored or classy tops/jackets, but I think the pants are just not quite right. I do love the boots though, and if she were to have wore them with a skirt or different pants, maybe it would have looked better. I just think in general, members of royal families have to dress better, even on casual days, b/c they represent their countries, and perhaps don't have the "luxury" of being sloppy or messy when they go out in public, like a lot of non-royal people.

it was in 2007, i find this look of lalla salma not suitable at all for the event, the material, the dentels, the flashy shoes, the earrings, she looks like she was at a fiesta when it was a conference about cancer,
http://i29.tinypic.com/2jcegko.jpg

it was in 2007, i find this look of lalla salma not suitable at all for the event, the material, the dentels, the flashy shoes, the earrings, she looks like she was at a fiesta when it was a conference about cancer,

I dont agree, I think the suit is perfect and well tailored for a meeting/conference.
I will agree about the shiney part but I think its due to the light and I doubt in reality that it is that shiney.

i completely agree with you about this look, for me it wasn't at all the right outifit for this kind of event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom