Which Royal Families are the Swedes Related To?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Martha and Astrid ws the first cousin to the father of King Carl Gustav. Marthas and Astrid Father Prince Carl was the Uncle to the father of King Carl Gustav.

The Swedish royal family is also related to the Spanish royal family through queen Victoria of Great Britain.

Queen Victoria → Prince Arthur → Princess Margaret → Prince Gustav Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten → King Carl XVI Gustav

Queen Victoria → Princess Beatrice → Queen Victoria Eugenia → Don Juan, Count of Barcelona → King Juan Carlos I of Spain

Indeed they are. Thanks for your contribution. :)

all of them would be an easy answer :)

and what about Viktoria de Baden-Württemberg?

Hmmm... She would have been related to most German houses at the time, for a start. She also had cousins in Russia.

and what about Viktoria de Baden-Württemberg?
Victoria of Baden connects the present SRF with the old Swedish royal house of Holstein-Gottorp, Victoria's paternal grandmother was the daughter of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden.

Victoria's maternal great-grandmother was Maria Pavlovna of Russia, a granddaughter of Catherine the Great, and a sister of tsars Alexander I and Nicholas I, and thus connects the SRF with the Romanovs.

Victoria was also first cousin to emperor Wilhelm II of German through her mother princess Louise of Prussia.

Last edited:
They are also related to the Danish Greek Royals as Queen Anne-Marie of Greece is the youngest daughter of King Fredrick IX of Denmark, thus youngest sister of Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Again, through Ingrid of Sweden. They are also related to Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg royals, through Ingrid's youngest daughter, Benedikte. Benedikte married Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, they had two children: Gustav, Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Nathalie.

Queen Victoria is related to most of the European royal households. Can't really think of ones she's not related to.

They are also related to the Danish Greek Royals as Queen Anne-Marie of Greece is the youngest daughter of King Fredrick IX of Denmark, thus youngest sister of Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Again, through Ingrid of Sweden. They are also related to Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg royals, through Ingrid's youngest daughter, Benedikte. Benedikte married Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, they had two children: Gustav, Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Nathalie.

Try Princess Alexandra as their oldest daughter and child.

The Swedes are Relatives with the Belgian and Luxembourgish Royal Families :D

Try Princess Alexandra as their oldest daughter and child.

What are you talking about? Princess Alexandra who?

All I said was they are related to the Greek-danish Royals through Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, who is the youngest daughter of King Fredrick IX, thus a younger sister of the current reigning Queen Margarethe of Denmark. Again, Ingrid of Sweden is the common ancestor. Also through Ingrid, they are related to the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg royals, through Ingrid's youngest daughter, Benedikte. Benedikte has actually has 3 children: Gustav in 1969, Alexandra (is this the Alexandra you meant? You couldn't just say that "you forgot one of the SWB princely family kids, Princess Alexandra, who is the middle child and oldest daughter of Benedike" rather than confuse me entirely by being all snobish about it and saying "Try Princess Alexandra as their oldest daughter and child." when in reality, Alexandra is Benedike's MIDDLE child, not oldest?) and Nathalie.

They are also related to the Spanish royals- Queen Sofia is a Greek royal as well as a is both a great-great-granddaughter (paternally) and a great-great-great-granddaughter (maternally) of Queen Victoria. And they are distantly related to the Monaco Royals as well, Prince Albert's great-great-great grandmother (I think. L M-V H was the grandmother of Albert's great grandfather, Louis II), Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton was a first cousin of Queen Carola of Saxony, who is a daughter of Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden, who was the last ruler of the house of House of Holstein-Gottorp which ruled both Sweden and Norway at one point, so they are distantly related to both the Norway and Swedish royals.

Last edited:
Yes, Queen Astrid of Belgium was originally a princess of Sweden, and her daughter (I don't remember her name though right now) became grandduchess of Luxembourg. And there are more distant links as well. Wasn't the first king of Belgium a relative of Queen Victoria? That would give us a link to Belgium through Margareth of Connaught. And our current king's great great grandmother, Sophia of Nassau, originally came from the same family, that later became the grandducal family of Luxembourg.

Princess Alexandra, who is the middle child and oldest daughter of Benedike" rather than confuse me entirely by being all snobish about it and saying "Try Princess Alexandra as their oldest daughter and child." when in reality, Alexandra is Benedike's MIDDLE child, not oldest?) and Nathalie.
Alexandra is the middle child of three, but she is also the oldest of two daughters as Nathalie is younger than her, and the firstborn is a son.

As well as Norway, Denmark, Great Britain, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria (very distantly), Russia and France. There's a double connection with Norway and Denmark. Most of the connections are via Queen Victoria and Christian IX of Denmark. There is also a distant connection via Tsar Alexander II of Russia.

What's the connection to Alexander II of Russia?

What's the connection to Alexander II of Russia?
The mother of Alexander II, Alexandra Feodorovna was born princess Charlotte of Prussia, and her younger sister princess Louise of Prussia married prince Frederick of the Netherlands, and their oldest daughter princess Louise of the Netherlands was married to king Karl XV of Sweden. Alexander II and Louise were cousins.

Alexander II: s wife, Maria Alexandrovna was born Marie of Hesse and by the Rhine, her mother was princess Wilhelmine of Baden. Wilhelmines older sister was Frederica of Baden was married to king Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden. Their daughter princess Sophia Wilhelmina married her half-grand-uncle (!) Leopold I, Grand Duke of Baden, and their son Frederick I was the father of princess Victoria of Baden, wife of king Gustav V of Sweden. Maria Alexandrovna and princess Sophie of Sweden was cousins, making Alexander III and Frederick of Baden second cousins, and Nicholas II, the last Russian Tsar was a third cousin to Victoria of Baden.

Karl Ludwig, hereditary prince of Baden -> princess Wilhelmine of Baden -> Maria Alexandrovna -> tsar Alexander III of Russia -> tsar Nicholas II of Russia
Karl Ludwig, hereditary prince of Baden -> princess Frederica of Baden -> princess Sophia Wilhelmina of Sweden -> Frederick I, grand duke of Baden -> princess Victoria of Baden

An other connection: princess Wilhelmine of Baden -> prince Karl Wilhelm of Hesse and by the Rhine -> Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse -> Alix of Hesse and by the Rhine (Alexandra Feodorovna)

(A little royal scandal: princess Wilhelmine was married to Ludwig II, grand duke of Hesse and while he was the father prince Karl Wilhelm of Hesse, he was not the father of her daugher Maria Alexandrovna.)

Some of the King's relations to the Heads of some European Royal Houses:

Denmark/Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg/Greece:
. King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden - Queen Ingrid of Denmark - Queen Margrethe II/Princess Benedikte/Queen Ánna-María of the Hellenes

Norway/Belgium/Luxembourg:
. King Oscar II of Sweden - King Gustaf V - King Gustaf VI Adolf - Prince Gustaf Adolf -King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Oscar II of Sweden - Prince Carl - Crown Princess Märtha of Norway/Queen Astrid of the Belgians - King Harald V of Norway/Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg/King Albert II of the Belgians

Netherlands/Parma:
. Prince Georg Viktor of Waldeck and Pyrmont - Princess Helena, Duchess of Albany - Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Princess Sibylla of Sweden - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Prince Georg Viktor of Waldeck and Pyrmont - Queen Emma of the Netherlands - Queen Juliana - Queen Beatrix/Princess Irene - Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange/Carlos, Duke of Parma

Russia/Romania:
. Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Straethern - Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Queen Victoria - Duke Alfred of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Queen Maria of Romania/Grand Duchess Viktoria Feodorovna of Russia - King Carol II of Romania/ Grand Duke Vladimir Kyrillovich of Russia - King Mihai of Romania/Grand Duchess Mariya Vladimirovna of Russia

Prussia/UK/Spain/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha:
. Queen Victoria - German Empress Viktoria - Crown Prince Wilhelm - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince Georg Friedrich
. Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Straethern - Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Queen Victoria - King Edward VII - King George V - King George VI - Queen Elizabeth II
. Queen Victoria - Princess Beatrice of Battenberg - Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain - Juan, Count of Barcelona - King Juan Carlos I
. Queen Victoria - Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany - Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Prince Friedrich Josias - Prince Andreas

Italy/Württemberg/France/Brazil/Portugal/Bulgaria:
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Albert, Prince Consort - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Straethern - Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - King Léopold I of the Belgians - Philippe, Count of Flanders - King Albert I - Queen Maria-José of Italy - Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Duchess Antonia of Württemberg - Duke Alexander - Duke Philipp - Duke Albrecht - Duke Philipp - Duke Carl
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Victoire, Duchess of Nemours - Gastão, Count of Eu - Prince Pedro de Alcântara of Orleans and Braganza - Isabelle, Countess of Paris/Prince Pedro Gastão/Maria Francisca, Duchess of Braganza - Henri, Count of Paris/Prince Pedro Carlos/Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Prince August - King Ferdinand I of the Bulgarians - King Boris III - King Simeon II

Bavaria/Austria/Liechtenstein/Saxony:
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Augusta, Duchess of Leuchtenberg - Queen Josefina of Sweden - King Oscar II - King Gustaf V - King Gustaf VI Adolf - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - King Ludwig I - Luitpold, Prince Regent - King Ludwig III - Crown Prince Rupprecht - Duke Albrecht - Duke Franz
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Archduchess Sophie of Austria - Archduke Karl Ludwig - Archduke Otto - Emperor Karl I - Crown Prince Otto - Archduke Karl
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Archduchess Sophie of Austria - Archduke Karl Ludwig - Princess Elisabeth Amalie of Liechtenstein - Prince Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein - Prince Hans-Adam II
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria - Hereditary Princess Helene von Thurn und Taxis - Prince Albrecht von Thurn und Taxis - Princess Helene Elisabeth of Saxony - Maria Emanuel, Margrave of Meissen

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha:
. Queen Victoria - Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany - Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Prince Friedrich Josias - Prince Andreas
There is a much closer connection too:
Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - King Carl XIV Gustav
Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Prince Friedrich Josias - Prince Andreas

HM king Carl XVI Gustaf is apparently related to most european royal houses but the royal families of the united kingdom and Denmark and Norway are the closest I can think of.

The ex-queen of Greece is our king's first cousin as well. And through princess Astrid, who became the queen of the Belgians, there's also a connection to the royal houses of Belgium and Luxembourg. And yeah, I even remember reading somewhere, that our royal family is like seventh cousins to the principal family of Monaco!

Last edited:
Isn't there a Princess Louisa from the Netherlands that became a queen of Sweden?

There was. Her husband was King Carl XV. Their daughter, also named Louise, became a queen of Denmark.

The closest link between ALL of Europes reigning Kings, Queens, Grand Duke and Princes is their mutual descent from Johan Willem Friso of Orange Nassau.

Some of the King's relations to the Heads of some European Royal Houses:

Denmark/Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg/Greece:
. King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden - Queen Ingrid of Denmark - Queen Margrethe II/Princess Benedikte/Queen Ánna-María of the Hellenes

Norway/Belgium/Luxembourg:
. King Oscar II of Sweden - King Gustaf V - King Gustaf VI Adolf - Prince Gustaf Adolf -King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Oscar II of Sweden - Prince Carl - Crown Princess Märtha of Norway/Queen Astrid of the Belgians - King Harald V of Norway/Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg/King Albert II of the Belgians

Netherlands/Parma:
. Prince Georg Viktor of Waldeck and Pyrmont - Princess Helena, Duchess of Albany - Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Princess Sibylla of Sweden - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Prince Georg Viktor of Waldeck and Pyrmont - Queen Emma of the Netherlands - Queen Juliana - Queen Beatrix/Princess Irene - Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange/Carlos, Duke of Parma

Russia/Romania:
. Queen Victoria - Duke Alfred of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Queen Maria of Romania/Grand Duchess Viktoria Feodorovna of Russia - King Carol II of Romania/ Grand Duke Vladimir Kyrillovich of Russia - King Mihai of Romania/Grand Duchess Mariya Vladimirovna of Russia

Prussia/UK/Spain/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha:
. Queen Victoria - German Empress Viktoria - Crown Prince Wilhelm - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince Georg Friedrich
. Queen Victoria - King Edward VII - King George V - King George VI - Queen Elizabeth II
. Queen Victoria - Princess Beatrice of Battenberg - Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain - Juan, Count of Barcelona - King Juan Carlos I

Italy/Württemberg/France/Brazil/Portugal/Bulgaria:
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Albert, Prince Consort - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Straethern - Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - King Léopold I of the Belgians - Philippe, Count of Flanders - King Albert I - Queen Maria-José of Italy - Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Duchess Antonia of Württemberg - Duke Alexander - Duke Philipp - Duke Albrecht - Duke Philipp - Duke Carl
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Victoire, Duchess of Nemours - Gastão, Count of Eu - Prince Pedro de Alcântara of Orleans and Braganza - Isabelle, Countess of Paris/Prince Pedro Gastão/Maria Francisca, Duchess of Braganza - Henri, Count of Paris/Prince Pedro Carlos/Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza
. Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - Prince August - King Ferdinand I of the Bulgarians - King Boris III - King Simeon II

Bavaria/Austria/Liechtenstein/Saxony:
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Augusta, Duchess of Leuchtenberg - Queen Josefina of Sweden - King Oscar II - King Gustaf V - King Gustaf VI Adolf - Prince Gustaf Adolf - King Carl XVI Gustaf
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - King Ludwig I - Luitpold, Prince Regent - King Ludwig III - Crown Prince Rupprecht - Duke Albrecht - Duke Franz
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Archduchess Sophie of Austria - Archduke Karl Ludwig - Archduke Otto - Emperor Karl I - Crown Prince Otto - Archduke Karl
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Archduchess Sophie of Austria - Archduke Karl Ludwig - Princess Elisabeth Amalie of Liechtenstein - Prince Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein - Prince Hans-Adam II
. King Maximilian I of Bavaria - Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria - Hereditary Princess Helene von Thurn und Taxis - Prince Albrecht von Thurn und Taxis - Princess Helene Elisabeth of Saxony - Maria Emanuel, Margrave of Meissen

Also Luxembourg through Queen Victoria - Princess Beatrice of Battenberg - Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain - Infanta Beatriz - Doña Olimpia Torlonia dei Principi di Civitella-Cesi - Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg (nee Sibilla Sandra Weiller y Torlonia), wife of GD Henri's youngest brother, Prince Guillaume

Back
Top Bottom