The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2019, 02:15 PM

Trying to cement my possible noble lineage

I know this may look a bit out of place on Royal Genealogy, but other members have done this without problems. Anyway, according to other researchers, the family of my four-times-great-grandfather Jobe Henry West, Esquire (born April 1802 in Chatham, Kent and died July 1880 in Croydon) always maintained that he was of noble blood. I know he was wealthy - leaving what is £2.4 million in today's money in his will - but I can't cement the supposed lineage. The story goes that Jobe's father John West (died 1834 in Hoxton) was the son of a peer yet never claimed his inheritance and title, nor his London estates, choosing a quiet life as a ship's carpenter in Chatham dockyard. He eventually returned to London before 1834. Unfortunately all written proof by the family of John's aristocratic background were stolen from his grandson and never returned. I found through independent research that his Hoxton and deathyear are correct, but otherwise I'm in the dark. I have a vague idea of what title his dad MIGHT have had, seeing as the Sackville-Wests are mentioned in the aural history, but it's hazy. Might anyone have any ideas on this problem/contacting Burke's Peerage to have them hear my 'case', for lack of a better word? Apologies for the rant!

Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Have you established who John West's parents were eg from baptism & marriage records? I don't know if it's acceptable to post links to other websites but there will be people on https://www.rootschat.com who would love to get their teeth into your story if you'd share it with them. I suggest you post a general enquiry as above & then be directed into the more specific boards for help. It's all free.