The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2017, 03:15 PM

The Royal Arms of the British Royal Family

Hello,

I am currently completing an online Heraldry Course with the IHGS, Cantebury, with a view to sitting The Heraldry Society's examinations in 2018.

A course assignment on which I am currently working requires me to discover the personal differences used by members of the Royal Family on their personal coats of arms. The research is proving very enjoyable, but I'm coming across some contradictory information and am looking for expert advice. My specific queries are:

1. I have read that coats of arms are not awarded until an individual member of the Royal Family attains the age of 18 years. However, I have seen evidence of arms being awarded at a much younger age. Would it be fair to say that arms are 'typically' awarded at the age of 18?
2. Are all coats of arms of members of the Royal Family awarded by the Queen, including consorts, or does the Queen does issue arms to children and grandchildren?
3. I assume that, in the event of divorce from a Royal Family member, any coats of arms awarded to the 'non-royal' spouse are nullified (e.g. Captain Mark Phillips).

Any help that forum members can provide will be much appreciated.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The most accurate source of information for you would be the Royal College of Arms.

This is their website.
The Law of Arms - College of Arms

I’m sure they would be able to help

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBroom1 View Post
1. I have read that coats of arms are not awarded until an individual member of the Royal Family attains the age of 18 years. However, I have seen evidence of arms being awarded at a much younger age. Would it be fair to say that arms are 'typically' awarded at the age of 18?
I believe the standard of being granted a coat of arms is something that's only happened with the Queen's grandchildren; her children and cousins all received them at a variety of ages.

Quote:
2. Are all coats of arms of members of the Royal Family awarded by the Queen, including consorts, or does the Queen does issue arms to children and grandchildren?
I don't know who does the actual awarding, but the Queen, her children, grandchildren, and cousins all have arms (excluding the Wessex children). The Duke of Edinburgh and the wives of the above all have arms as well; in the case of the wives, the arms are that of their husbands' impaled with that of their father's.

Quote:
3. I assume that, in the event of divorce from a Royal Family member, any coats of arms awarded to the 'non-royal' spouse are nullified (e.g. Captain Mark Phillips).

Nope. The arms of an ex-wife would change, but the arms of an ex-husband are unaffected.

When Mark Phillips married a coat of arms was granted to his father, and as his father's son he used those arms with a differentiation. When his father died he inherited his father's arms. Peter and Zara's arms are based on their father's.

When Diana was married to Charles, her arms where her husband's impaled with her father's. When they divorced, her arms became a variant of her father's arms. Sarah's arms follow this as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Many thanks for your guidance 'Ish'.