The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Swedish Royal Registry

Hello,
I have a question concerning a supposed Swedish Royal Registry. My husband's grandfather always told the story of his mother having been a lady-in-waiting to the queen of Sweden. He said that when she married a commoner, she had to leave her position, and she and his father moved to Canada. His grandfather also said that he entered his three oldest grandson's names in the Swedish Royal Registry. My husband said he vaguely remembers his grandfather giving him and his two brothers under him papers to sign and return to be registered as descendants of the royal family line. My husband's sister has said that this is true, that all the next children and even their children, including our own, are since registered, and that she and her mother had a copy of a book that had this information in it, but has since lost it. I would like to know if there really is such a book that would have all the names of the descendants, and, if so, what it is called and where can it be obtained?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldonandLena View Post
Hello,
I have a question concerning a supposed Swedish Royal Registry. My husband's grandfather always told the story of his mother having been a lady-in-waiting to the queen of Sweden. He said that when she married a commoner, she had to leave her position, and she and his father moved to Canada. His grandfather also said that he entered his three oldest grandson's names in the Swedish Royal Registry. My husband said he vaguely remembers his grandfather giving him and his two brothers under him papers to sign and return to be registered as descendants of the royal family line. My husband's sister has said that this is true, that all the next children and even their children, including our own, are since registered, and that she and her mother had a copy of a book that had this information in it, but has since lost it. I would like to know if there really is such a book that would have all the names of the descendants, and, if so, what it is called and where can it be obtained?
I suspect that the registry in question is that of the Swedish nobility. The book would in that case be Adelskalendern a book published every few years (Next time in 2019) and I think is available online these days. Riddarhuset (The house of nobility) is the name of the Association of the Swedish nobility https://www.riddarhuset.se/sprak/english/. If your husbands family kept their Swedish surname it should only be a google away.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Adelskalendern

Where could I find this book online so that I can obtain it? I looked on Riddarhuset or ak@riddarhuset.se , which it said to contact with questions, but I cannot find any more information on how to obtain it other than this: http://waslingmedia.se/tag/riddarhuset/page/2/
Old 04-06-2018, 12:09 AM

Adelskalendern

Thank you for your response! I googled Riddarhuset, but I still cannot find how to obtain this book. Do you have the information I would need to order it? Or would I need to pre-order the 2019 version? This is the most information I was able to find: The Swedish Peerage Book
The Swedish Peerage Book (Adelskalendern) accounts the lineage of living families that have been introduced into the House of Nobility. It catalogues the 47 count, 131 baron and 485 aristocratic families still living (2016), and includes a brief introduction into the families historical background of each family as well as their coats of arms. The 108th edition of the Swedish Peerage Book will be printed in 2019. For any questions please contact: ak@riddarhuset.se or/and visit adelskalendern.se

I then found this webpage, but am still not finding how to order it:
riddarhuset | Heraldik och Vapensköldar | Sida 2
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Courtier

Some older copies (1899-1913) are available online:

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100532638

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011441380

According to the WorldCat database more recent [print] copies are available in a few libraries in the United States:

Results for 'ti:Sveriges Adels kalender' [WorldCat.org]
Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 AM

Adelskalendern

Thank you so much! Would you know how to order a copy?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

You can order Adelskalender 2016 from here:
Sveriges Adelskalender 2016 _ Riddarhuset

Advice in english how to order from there:
https://www.riddarhuset.se/wp/wp-con...p-Engelska.pdf
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 AM

Adelskalendern

Thank you so much for this information! The directions for English-speaking people is wonderful! However, I cannot tell if there is an English version of the Swedish Peerage Book 2019, the 108 th edition of Adelskalendern book available (or the previous 2016 107th edition) or if it is only in Swedish. Not being able to speak or read Swedish is certainly not helpful. :) Could you tell me?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 AM
Courtier

I believe it's only available in Swedish. But it mainly consists of genealogies (names & dates) and you can use an online Swedish-English dictionary to translate the words you don't know. For example, barn means children.

Take a look at the Douglas family genealogy from one of the online copies I referred to in post #3:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...ew=1up;seq=232
Old 04-06-2018, 01:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thank you so much for this information! The directions for English-speaking people is wonderful! However, I cannot tell if there is an English version of the Swedish Peerage Book 2019, the 108 th edition of Adelskalendern book available or if it is only in Swedish. Not being able to speak Swedish is certainly not helpful. :) Could you tell me?
At the website (link in JR76's message) it is said "The 108th edition of the Swedish Peerage Book will be printed in 2019. For any questions please contact: ak@riddarhuset.se"
I think you could write there and ask if it is published in english too.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thank you so much for this information! The directions for English-speaking people is wonderful! However, I cannot tell if there is an English version of the Swedish Peerage Book 2019, the 108 th edition of Adelskalendern book available (or the previous 2016 107th edition) or if it is only in Swedish. Not being able to speak or read Swedish is certainly not helpful. :) Could you tell me?
If you know the family name there are unofficial directories listing the families online.
Try this - press Meny - write name in Sök and see if the family is there.
You'll find a lot of genealogical information as well.

https://www.adelsvapen.com/genealogi/Huvudsida

I very much doubt that the official directory will be published in English.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 PM

Adelskalendern

Thank you ever so much! I don't know the family line name that my husband's great grandmother was in, but her name was Adela Helena Herlen, and I traced her back to a Herlenius and a Kolthoff, both names in the book. Haven't found any connection yet, though. How would one even know the family name?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Hi,
There is some information about an Adela Helena Herlén here:
115 (Kultur- och personhistoriska anteckningar / Tredje delen)

Born 1879, married Oskar Gillius Andersson, born 1879, in 1901. They emigrated to Star City, Saskatchewan in 1903.

Here it says that Adele Helena's parents were Daniel Erland Herlén, a bookkeeper, and Helena Johnson, a farmer's daughter from Jämtland.

As for Adelskalendern, only children to noblemen were included. If a noble woman married a commoner, they were no longer mentioned in Adelskalendern since that line of the family no longer was nobility.

I am a hobby geneaologist and I am happy to help if you have any more questions.
You can also post your question at Rötter, a geneaology forum with a subforum in English:
https://forum.genealogi.se/index.php...6&board=7920.0

Tags
ladies-in-waiting, royal ancestry; oscar and sophia, royal geneology, swedish royal registry