Swedish Ancestry of the Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalNight

Aristocracy
City
Poznan
Country
Poland
First of all, I hope I've created this thread in an appropriate place.

My question is, does current Swedish King have any Swedish blood in him? Quick search from J.B Bermadotte seems to place all kings' wives as foreigners.

Will Estelle be the Bernadotte Monarch with a Swedish parent?

If there's Swedish ancestry in there, it's distant.

Carl XIV John (born Jean Bernadotte) was French, married to Desiree Clary, also French

their son, Oscar I married Josephine of Leuchtenberg, whose parents were French and German

their son, Oscar II married Sophia of Nassau, whose parents were German

their son, Gustav V, married Victoria of Baden, whose parents were German

their son, Gustav VI Adolf married Margaret of Cannaught, whose parents were British and German

and the current king's parents were Gustav VI and Margaret's son Prince Gustav Adolf and Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, whose parents were German, although her paternal grandfather was at least partially Scandinavian - he was a nephew of Christian IX of Denmark

Of course, bloodlines aside, at this point there is no one more thoroughly Swedish than a Bernadotte!

(there is a king missing in this list, but only because he was a hereditary dead end...but his wife wasn't Swedish, either)

Last edited by a moderator:
The clearest line of descent would be through Queen Victoria whos grandmother was born a Swedish princess as a daughter of the deposed King Gustav VI Adolf. Through him and his ancestors of the Houses of Holstein-Gottorp & of Pfalz-Zweibrücken she was descended from the Vasas and the Scandinavian Royal houses of the Middle ages.
Funnily enough the branch of the House of Holstein-Gottorp that ascended the Swedish throne wasnt the closest one in line for the throne. The true heir was the nephew of King Karl VII, Duke Karl-Fredrik of Holstein-Gottorp, whos only son Peter became Tsar of Russia instead of King of Sweden.

Last edited:
The clearest line of descent would be through Queen Victoria whos grandmother was born a Swedish princess as a daughter of the deposed King Gustav VI Adolf. Through him and his ancestors of the Houses of Holstein-Gottorp & of Pfalz-Zweibrücken she was descended from the Vasas and the Scandinavian Royal houses of the Middle ages.
Funnily enough the branch of the House of Holstein-Gottorp that ascended the Swedish throne wasnt the closest one in line for the throne. The true heir was the nephew of King Karl VII, Duke Karl-Fredrik of Holstein-Gottorp, whos only son Peter became Tsar of Russia instead of King of Sweden.

I was hoping someone else would have a sense of lineage going back farther than the spouses' parents. I decided looking all that up was a bigger job than I wanted to take on yesterday. Thank you!

So if that's the clearest line, then we have to look at the grandparents of CP Victoria's great-great-grandmother to find the closest "Swedish blood."

Of course, if the Bernadottes aren't "really" Swedish, then neither is the House that preceded them, Hollstein-Gottorp (which is Germanic). Like Bernadotte, that house's first king, Adolf Frederick, was a foreigner elected king by the Riksdag.

Queen Victoria had a lot of (genetic) influence in European and I think even Scandanavian monarchies.

LaRae

Queen Victoria had a lot of (genetic) influence in European and I think even Scandanavian monarchies.

LaRae

I think you mean Q.Victoria of England? The in above posts mentioned Q.Victoria is of Sweden (spouse of K.Gustav V)

Yes Queen Victoria of England, CP Victoria of Sweden isn't a queen yet.....and yes my post was mostly in response to that one....about them not being ver 'Swedish'.

A lot of royal houses contain her (Queen Victoria) genetic line.

LaRae

Last edited:
Do I assume correctly that the Holstein-Gottorp's Kings weren't exactly Swedish? They came through the election and were German house? Of course King Adolf Frederick had strong Swedish ancestry, but was raised German.

I find it fascinating that the Bernadottes don't really have Swedish ancestry and are ruling Sweden. As much as Prince Daniel was given a hard time for his background he at least has a strong Swedish ancestry (as far as I know) and through him Estelle has Swedish blood in her.

Do you know if this topic is ever discuss in Sweden?

Do I assume correctly that the Holstein-Gottorp's Kings weren't exactly Swedish? They came through the election and were German house? Of course King Adolf Frederick had strong Swedish ancestry, but was raised German.

I find it fascinating that the Bernadottes don't really have Swedish ancestry and are ruling Sweden. As much as Prince Daniel was given a hard time for his background he at least has a strong Swedish ancestry (as far as I know) and through him Estelle has Swedish blood in her.

Do you know if this topic is ever discuss in Sweden?
Its very rarely discussed in Sweden. The French ancestry of the Bernadottes are often mentioned but not in a negative way and is not an issue. We dont have something resembling the British "Theyre Germans" issue at all.

Yes Queen Victoria of England, CP Victoria of Sweden isn't a queen yet.....and yes my post was mostly in response to that one....about them not being ver 'Swedish'.

A lot of royal houses contain her (Queen Victoria) genetic line.

LaRae
Although King Carl XVI Gustav is descended from Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom both through his mother & grandmother the Victoria Im talking about is the wife of Gustav V, Victoria of Baden.

Its very rarely discussed in Sweden. The French ancestry of the Bernadottes are often mentioned but not in a negative way and is not an issue. We dont have something resembling the British "Theyre Germans" issue at all.

That's good for the Family, and foe everybody in general. Thank you for the insight. :flowers:

It is hard to imagine from a modern royal-watching standpoint the frame of mind that lead several countries at various times to say "we don't have an obvious person to put on the throne, so let's pick someone from another nation to fill the position." Sweden did it twice, Greece did it when they established a monarchy, Russia did it at least once, I may be forgetting some other nation. I've never fully understood why Sweden didn't pick a Swede, Greece didn't pick someone Greek, etc. But hey, it clearly made sense to the people at the time.

But beyond Queen Victoria being everyone's great-whatever grandmother, the more I look into these things the more it feels like just about every royal line is overwhelmingly made up of Germans. It makes sense, though. There were so many small royal houses in what is now Germany that for several centuries the bulk of the marriageable princes and princess at any given time were probably Germanic.

First of all, I hope I've created this thread in an appropriate place.

My question is, does current Swedish King have any Swedish blood in him? Quick search from J.B Bermadotte seems to place all kings' wives as foreigners.

Will Estelle be the Bernadotte Monarch with a Swedish parent?

As explained above, the current Bernadotte king descends from the previous royal house of Sweden in female line through his great-grandmother, Victoria of Baden (wife of King Gustav V).

Having said that, this is a silly thread which IMHO reflects European obsession with "pure blood". The Bernadottes, despite coming from France, have been born and raised in Sweden for the past 200 years or so. From an American point of view, which associates nationality with place of birth, they would be considered Swedish then.

Putting it in another way, if first-generation children of immigrants are normally considered full-fledged Americans in the US, why should one question the "Swedishness" of a family who has lived in Sweden for 200 years ?

Last edited:
It is hard to imagine from a modern royal-watching standpoint the frame of mind that lead several countries at various times to say "we don't have an obvious person to put on the throne, so let's pick someone from another nation to fill the position." Sweden did it twice, Greece did it when they established a monarchy, Russia did it at least once, I may be forgetting some other nation. I've never fully understood why Sweden didn't pick a Swede, Greece didn't pick someone Greek, etc. But hey, it clearly made sense to the people at the time.

But beyond Queen Victoria being everyone's great-whatever grandmother, the more I look into these things the more it feels like just about every royal line is overwhelmingly made up of Germans. It makes sense, though. There were so many small royal houses in what is now Germany that for several centuries the bulk of the marriageable princes and princess at any given time were probably Germanic.
I know that for instace Romania chose a foreign prince so as not to upset the power balance between the often infighting Romanian princely houses. Thats also the reason behind the rule not to allow a member of the Royal house to marry a native.
When Gustav VI was deposed a member of the House of Augustenborg was chosen and after his death many nobles favoured another Danish prince or even the Danish king himself to resurrect the old Kalmar union. Even though a big part of the population, the royal family included, wanted the former Crown prince Gustav to be reinstated in the succession this was vetoed by many nobles who feared that he would take his revenge on the men who had deposed his father. A funny fact is that after the death of said Prince Gustav of Vasa & his daughter, Queen Carola of Saxony, the next in line for the claim to the Swedish throne was his grand-nephew Grand Duke Frederick II of Baden. After his death in 1928 the claim devolved upon his sister Victoria, wife of King Gustav V of Sweden thus making the Bearnadottes the legitimate heirs to the House of Holstein-Gottorp.

The Bourbons in Spain and the Hanoverians in Britain both came to the throne of their respective countries about 300 years ago or so, but, in both cases, it could at least be argued that they descended matrilineally from previous royal houses of the countries where they reigned, which is now not unlike the situation of the Bernadottes in Sweden.

A more interesting case is actually that of Belgium, which "imported" a royal family from Germany in 1831 , and there was actually no infusion of so-called "pure Belgian blood" in that family AFAIK until Philippe married Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz and had four children with her. Nonetheless, we don't often hear criticism of the Belgian Coburgs for "not being Belgian". The deposed Greek royal family provides a similar example.

Last edited:
First of all, I've never intended to criticise anyone, I've never said the RF was not Swedish, and honestly I don't appreciate calling my thread 'silly'. I thought it was ok to ask questions, right?
Kings throughout the history had to marry a respectable royal lady, so it makes sense that wives came form outside Sweden.
I find it interesting that P. Estelle will be the first Monarch with a parent whose many ancestors were born in Sweden to Swedish parents, with no indication (as far as I know) of foreigners.

First of all, I've never intended to criticise anyone, I've never said the RF was not Swedish, and honestly I don't appreciate calling my thread 'silly'. I thought it was ok to ask questions, right?
Kings throughout the history had to marry a respectable royal lady, so it makes sense that wives came form outside Sweden.
I find it interesting that P. Estelle will be the first Monarch with a parent whose many ancestors were born in Sweden to Swedish parents, with no indication (as far as I know) of foreigners.
Daniels father Olle Westling is active in an association for descendants of the so called Forest Finns that moved from the then Swedish province of Finland in the 16-17th centuries to the forest land of Värmland and adjoining provinces with many maintaining their distinct culture up until the early 20th century (I think the last Finnish speaker died in the 1960s) so one can assume that he has ancestors from that ethnic group. That said having Finnish ancestors is very common in Sweden with waves of immigrants moving between the two parts of the country during our 600 years long shared history.
Although this isnt the most active thread on the forums I find the subject very interesting :)

Having said that, this is a silly thread which IMHO reflects European obsession with "pure blood". The Bernadottes, despite coming from France, have been born and raised in Sweden for the past 200 years or so. From an American point of view, which associates nationality with place of birth, they would be considered Swedish then.

That's a strange thing to say in this day and age, IMO. If anything, I've found that Americans are much more likely to count themselves as still being Irish or German or whatnot based on ancestry (Irish-American, German-American, but you get what I'm saying), while Europeans look at us and say "silly goose, doesn't matter that your great-grandfather was born and raised in Dublin, if you weren't born in Ireland you're not Irish-Anything." And if anything the history that we're talking about just illustrates that Europeans have long been willing to adopt someone from outside their own citizenry to be head of state, while we Americans live under a constitution that doesn't allow such a thing.

Well, to be honest...on the very odd occassion that someone in the netherlands thinks we should abolish the monarchy (usually triggered by a money spending issue), the argument "those germans" or "they aren't even really dutch" pops up now and then.
The dutch RF is indeed hardly "dutch", you'd be hard pressed to find a dutch royal with just dutch grandparents, but other than the "anti monarchists" it's never really an issue...

That's a strange thing to say in this day and age, IMO. If anything, I've found that Americans are much more likely to count themselves as still being Irish or German or whatnot based on ancestry (Irish-American, German-American, but you get what I'm saying), while Europeans look at us and say "silly goose, doesn't matter that your great-grandfather was born and raised in Dublin, if you weren't born in Ireland you're not Irish-Anything." And if anything the history that we're talking about just illustrates that Europeans have long been willing to adopt someone from outside their own citizenry to be head of state, while we Americans live under a constitution that doesn't allow such a thing.

Marco Rubio's parents were both born outside the United States. Nevertheless, no one questioned that Marco Rubio was American, and being first generation didn't prevent him from running for president. The fact that people use hyphenated words like Irish-American or Cuban-American doesn't mean that they don't see themselves or are seen as Americans , but rather that they consider themselves Americans who also value and honor the culture of their ancestors who came from other countries.

Again, I insist on my point on why I called this discussion "silly", if not plainly racist. The opening question in this thread was if the Swedish royal family had "Swedish blood". To an American, the answer is obviously yes, not because Victoria of Baden descended from some 18th century Swedish king (which is the answer the OP probably expected), but rather because Carl XVI Gustaf's father, grandfather, great-grandfather and so on so forth all the way up to Charles XV were all born and raised in Sweden, and were therefore Swedish. To Americans, nationality is not a matter of "blood" that requires your ancestry in the country to be traced back five hundred years (not least, because 500 years ago, no Europeans or Africans lived in the Americas anyway !). Instead, it is a matter of place of birth and place of upbringing.

BTW, your point that , if one is not born in Dublin, he/she is not considered Irish may be true in Ireland (I don't know much about it), but it is certainly not true in other European countries. The Germans definitely considered ethnic Germans who were born and lived in the Czech Republic, or Poland, or Russia as "Germans", and actually that was one of the Nazi arguments for invading Eastern European countries. Even today, several European countries give out passports and citizenship to descendants of immigrants who left their country many generations ago, including members of my family, who have Italian citizenship even though only our great-grandfather was Italian.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest...on the very odd occassion that someone in the netherlands thinks we should abolish the monarchy (usually triggered by a money spending issue), the argument "those germans" or "they aren't even really dutch" pops up now and then.
The dutch RF is indeed hardly "dutch", you'd be hard pressed to find a dutch royal with just dutch grandparents, but other than the "anti monarchists" it's never really an issue...

I find it hard to think of a family (among the prominent families of course) who is more "Dutch" than the Orange-Nassau, as the "founder" if you will of the dynasty (is also called the "father of the nation" (despite his direct descendants properly being now extinct). But, if you say so, then I accept it.

But -like in any royal family- it was more or less a no-no to marry a fellow "subject". In the Dutch royal family, before Pieter van Vollenhoven entered the royal scene, the last legal "Dutch-born" partner was Anna van Egmont, gravin van Buren in the 16th C.

The Swedes even had in their constitution that a successor could not marry a fellow compatriot without loosing their rights. There were plenty of royals who probably wanted to marry but were hindered.

I find it hard to think of a family (among the prominent families of course) who is more "Dutch" than the Orange-Nassau, as the "founder" if you will of the dynasty (is also called the "father of the nation" (despite his direct descendants properly being now extinct). But, if you say so, then I accept it.

As you mention him, another remark that occassionally pops up: the dutch national anthem stems from a medieval poem and starts with the line "Wilhelmus van Nassaue ben ik van duitschen bloed" which in modern times translates as "Wilhelmus of Nassaue, I am of german blood". At the time it was written the netherlands as they are now didn't exist and the border with the german territory was very thin (if at all existing), so there really wasn't a difference like in modern day dutch and german.

Because we still use this anthem (but don't know the history that well), but think of the lines in the modern way, we actually have a feeling that we sing about "german blood".
The dutch anthem was for that reason changed in WWII, but the alternative also had some unsavoury connotations, so it was changed back after the war...but the question "why do we sing about 'I am of german blood' in this day and age" does surface now and again :lol:

Last edited:
But -like in any royal family- it was more or less a no-no to marry a fellow "subject". In the Dutch royal family, before Pieter van Vollenhoven entered the royal scene, the last legal "Dutch-born" partner was Anna van Egmont, gravin van Buren in the 16th C.

The Swedes even had in their constitution that a successor could not marry a fellow compatriot without loosing their rights. There were plenty of royals who probably wanted to marry but were hindered.
The Swedish constitution originally stated that a prince of the royal house could not marry "a private mans daughter" but this was changed in 1938 to "a private Swedish mans daughter". The rule did not forbid marriages to Swedes only to Swedes who wasnt considered of equal rank to the Royal house.

Last edited:
You keep harping on what things mean "to Americans." You do realize I'm American, right?

Marco Rubio's parents were both born outside the United States. Nevertheless, no one questioned that Marco Rubio was American, and being first generation didn't prevent him from running for president.

That's about as far from the point as you can be. Rubio was born in the US. His parents are neither here nor there. I was comparing the US requirements to people who became heads of state despite never having even lived in the country in question, who were invited from afar in a request that boiled down to "hey, will you please move here and become our king? We're not happy with the options we have in-house and you look like an alright guy. Thanks!" IIRC, the first time Jean Bernadotte ever stepped on Swedish soil was when he moved there to take the throne (well, technically, to become their aging king's crown prince). He was invited by the Riksdag on the basis of his skill as a military leader and the kindness he'd shown to Swedish prisoners of war.

I happen to find that fascinating, precisely because I'm American. Even if you moved here as a child and have been a citizen your entire adult life, you aren't eligible to run for President unless you were born here. A naturalized citizen can be a governor, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, did, but the highest office is off limits if you're foreign born. So yes, Marco Rubio could run for President, but his parents never had that option.

You find this silly. Fine. It's not for you.

No one is saying the Bernadottes are less than or don't have a right to the throne. It's just interesting to see that, even if you look at generation after generation after generation of monarchs in this dynastic house and their partners, this century was the first time that someone in line to their their throne chose a spouse from their own country. Especially given that they started with the importation of a foreigner to the throne.

That's noteworthy because the first however many generations of the house were living in an era when (a) royal marriages were first and foremost political, (b) monarchs still had a degree of power, and (c) politicians tended to have some concern that a monarch with strong familial or cultural ties to another country might offer an unwise level of favor that country of origin in international disputes. That concern wasn't helped by the very small amount of contact royals used to have with their nations' people. Given that context, it's remarkable to me that the Bernadottes never felt the need to shore up their "Swedishness" by, for instance, marrying off one of the first Bernadotte heirs to a princess from the prior ruling house.

This discussion has lead me to read up a little more on the family, so I now know that Jean Bernadotte himself made a choice that probably made a very big difference in how accepted his family was by the Swedish people: when he decided to accept the offer of the throne, Bernadotte went to Napoleon to offer his resignation and ask to be emancipated from his French citizenship. Napoleon tried to make him promise never to take up arms against France. But Bernadotte refused to make that pledge, saying quite firmly that he was obliged to consider the needs of Swedish ahead of his own Frenchness or ties to Napoleon.

Bringing him in had been a Riksdag plan; the king didn't much like it. But Bernadotte won him over after he arrived in Sweden. He seems to have worked pretty hard to earn his status as an adopted Swede. He was running everything even before the old king died, and he was popular. In other words, he really did do the work to become seen as Swedish.

The lack of Swedish-born brides in the family tree could have been a sign that generations of the Bernadotte house holed up in their palaces and didn't care to mix with people from their country. It's nice to see that, in this case, it was actually a matter of them not needing to make that kind of political statement with a marriage because the founder of their line did a good job of making the Bernadottes Swedish in ways that mattered to the nation's people and politicians.

And that's why I like these conversations. Little questions like the one that started this send me off along rabbit trails of data, the details of which hint at a nation's political story and help me find interesting times in their history that are fun to learn about.

The Swedish constitution originally stated that a prince of the royal house could not marry "a private mans daughter" but this was changed in 1938 to "a private Swedish mans daughter". The rule did not forbid marriages to Swedes only to Swedes who wasnt considered of equal rank to the Royal house.

The only Swedes who were equal in rank to the Royal House were members of the Royal Houses themselves. So, as far as I understand it, in practice they couldn't marry any Swede other than their own cousins.

Last edited:
The only Swedes who were equal in rank to the Royal House were members of the Royal Houses themselves. So, as far as I understand it, in practice they couldn't marry any Swede other than their own cousins.
The constitution does speak of families "in equal status" to the royal family which I guess is why Mountbatten was deemed acceptable in the 20s but if Carl jr's marriage to a countess von Rosen (very, very posh) wasnt considered equal no other Swedish families would have been so yes youre right.

To simplify things, here is a genealogy chart of Swedish Monarchs from 1523 onwards. Names are written as on coins of their reigns.
  • Gostavs
    • Ericus 14.
    • Iohannes 3.
      • Sigismundus
    • Carolus IX
      • Gustavus Adolf
        • Christina
      • Catharina (whose spouse is from the House of Palatinate-Zweibrücken)
        • Carolus Gustavus
          • Carolus XI
            • Carolus XII
            • Ulrica Eleonora and her spouse Fridericus
        • Christina Magdalena (whose spouse is the Margrave of Baden-Durlach)
          • Fridericus Magnus
            • Albertina Friderica (whose spouse is from the House of Holstein-Gottorp)
              • Adolphus Fridericus
                • Gustavus/Gustaf III
                  • Gustaf IV Adolph
                    • Sophie (whose spouse is the Grand Duke of Baden)
                      • Friedrich
                        • Victoria (married to Gustaf V)
                • Carl XIII
          • Johanna Elisabeth (whose spouse is the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach)
            • Dorothea Friderica (whose spouse is the Count of Hanau-Lichtenburg)
              • Charlotta (whose spouse is the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt)
                • Georg Wilhelm
                  • Augusta Wilhelmine (whose spouse is later the King of Bavaria)
                    • Augusta (whose spouse is the Duke of Leuchtenburg)
                      • Josephine, m. to Oscar I, son of Carl XIV Johan
                        • Carl XV
                        • Oscar II
                          • Gustaf V (married to Victoria of Baden)
                            • Gustaf VI Adolf
                              • Gustaf Adolf
                                • Carl XVI Gustaf
                                  • Victoria
                                    • Estelle
So literally every Swedish King with the exception of Carl XIV Johan and Oscar I have Swedish ancestry.

Last edited:
Marco Rubio's parents were both born outside the United States. Nevertheless, no one questioned that Marco Rubio was American, and being first generation didn't prevent him from running for president. The fact that people use hyphenated words like Irish-American or Cuban-American doesn't mean that they don't see themselves or are seen as Americans , but rather that they consider themselves Americans who also value and honor the culture of their ancestors who came from other countries.

Again, I insist on my point on why I called this discussion "silly", if not plainly racist. The opening question in this thread was if the Swedish royal family had "Swedish blood". To an American, the answer is obviously yes, not because Victoria of Baden descended from some 18th century Swedish king (which is the answer the OP probably expected), but rather because Carl XVI Gustaf's father, grandfather, great-grandfather and so on so forth all the way up to Charles XV were all born and raised in Sweden, and were therefore Swedish. To Americans, nationality is not a matter of "blood" that requires your ancestry in the country to be traced back five hundred years (not least, because 500 years ago, no Europeans or Africans lived in the Americas anyway !). Instead, it is a matter of place of birth and place of upbringing.

BTW, your point that , if one is not born in Dublin, he/she is not considered Irish may be true in Ireland (I don't know much about it), but it is certainly not true in other European countries. The Germans definitely considered ethnic Germans who were born and lived in the Czech Republic, or Poland, or Russia as "Germans", and actually that was one of the Nazi arguments for invading Eastern European countries. Even today, several European countries give out passports and citizenship to descendants of immigrants who left their country many generations ago, including members of my family, who have Italian citizenship even though only our great-grandfather was Italian.
One difference between the U.S. and Sweden is that there are few Americans who can trace their ancestors back to before 1492, and that means that most have foreign roots, and therefore it makes it easy for people to see themselves, and for others to see them as Americans, if they are born there. Sweden on the other hand have been more or less homogeneous until after the Second World War, the influx of new people before that were mostly from countries that were parts of the Swedish kingdom, or connected with it (Finland, Baltic states, Germany), and those new people who weren't from there came here because their skills were needed. Today there are a Swedish political party whose members/supporters sees anyone who doesn't have "pure Swedish ancestry" as not belonging here, and should be sent to their home countries, even if they and their parents/grandparents have been born here.

Today there are a Swedish political party whose members/supporters sees anyone who doesn't have "pure Swedish ancestry" as not belonging here, and should be sent to their home countries, even if they and their parents/grandparents have been born here.
I guess you're talking about the Nordic Resistance Movement. They do not belong to the parliament, they have less than 1000 members/supporters and are not a party but a banned terrorist group per a Finnish verdict. I also have great suspicions that they also aim to subvert the monarchy and usurp the State.
-
Let's keep them off TRF where monarchy should be the main focus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom