Sweden: Vasa and Bernadotte Dynasties

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Furienna

Serene Highness
City
Örnsköldsvik
Country
Sweden
This thread is for the genealogy of the Swedish royal house.

Last edited:
I am curious about the Queen's ancestry because I saw her included in a list of biracial people. Obviously, her father was German and her mother was Brazilian, but what made up the "Brazilian"? My guess is Portuguese, maybe some Spanish and ...? I'm not asking in a negative way, I'm just curious; I think her family story is probably very interesting. (I guess I could be considered biracial myself.)

Hmmm... Well, Silvia's mother, Alice de Toledo, was Brazilian. The Sommerlath family even lived in Brazil for some years. I don't know for sure about Brazil, but most of the south americans both have European and native American ancestry. So maybe Silvia, through her mother, has some native Brazilian ancestry. But I think it was said in another thread at Royal forums, that Silvia should be called bicultural, not biracial.

The information about the Queen's family is rather disappointing. I think I've only seen it go back to her grandparents (possibly great-grandparents).

Thanks for trying to answer, magnik and Furienna. :flowers: Maybe this is something that hasn't caught the curiosity of many people.

Lox's information is very interesting!

For instance, her grandfather was born in Chicago in 1860 but died in Germany in 1930. So, he was an American citizen but went home to Germany. I wonder why, since so many Germans were coming to the US at about the same time. (And even though Diana's "American" roots were well touted, Silvia's have never really been mentioned -- then again, I don't know many people who are interested in Swedish royalty or genealogy.)

Thank you, Lox! You found exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, but great-grandfather was born in Hohenrode, Rinteln 1834 and died in Hannover-Linden. So Sommerlath or Sommerland family came from Germany.

I know we Americans really can't claim a significant contact with the family. But at one time we liked to comment on Princess Diana's American ancestry through her mother (I think a great-grandfather was either born or raised in the US). Sort of like how some of us are intrigued that the Queen shares ancestry with George Washington (or even me to Camilla or Crown Princess Pavlos).

Last edited:
Actually, I think the only royal family with US connections is the Monegasque through the late Grace Kelly.

iowabelle said:
I know we Americans really can't claim a significant contact with the family. But at one time we liked to comment on Princess Diana's American ancestry through her mother (I think a great-grandfather was either born or raised in the US). Sort of like how some of us are intrigued that the Queen shares ancestry with George Washington (or even me to Camilla or Crown Princess Pavlos).
http://web.archive.org/web/20050309161839/http://www.hierarchypedia.com/~hierarch/wiki/index.php/Spencer_family
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~djmurphy/conn/washington.htm

George Washington and CPss Victoria
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en&em=R&ei=291923&m=NG&select=input&n=victoria+bernadotte&t=PN&long=on&spouse=on&bd=0&color=&et=M
George Bush and Victoria
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en&em=R&ei=276114&m=NG&select=input&n=george+bush&t=PN&long=on&spouse=on&bd=0&color=&et=M

American Presidents and Royals http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/royal11.htm

That's it, magnik! It's surprising how these people are related, isn't it? (Or maybe not, since only the elite kept genealogical records well in the very early days, and the first American immigrants had to have a certain amount of money to make the passage.)

Their common anectors are way back in history. like the 14th and 15th centuries, but yes, it's still amazing.

I have perused information just recently regarding HM Queen Silvia. This information stated HM is a descendant of Portuguese/Brazilian royalty/aristocracy? Was the information correct? Incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have perused information just recently regarding HM Queen Silvia. This information stated HM is a descendant of Portuguese/Brazilian royalty/aristocracy? Was the information correct? Incorrect?

As one can go back she is,through her Brazilian mother,a descendant of Portugese(even some Spanish) untitled nobility...

Maybe even royalty(King Afonso III of Portugal and Maria Peres de Enxara),as it is written in wikipedia,but I can't still trace the line ;-(

Last edited:
Isn't Queen Silvia of Sweden born in Germany but of Brazilian heritage making Victoria, Carl Phillip, and Madeline part Brazilian.

Her father was German and her mother was Brazilian. She was born in Germany, but lived in Brazil for many years as a child. So she's half Brazilian and her children are a quarter Brazilian.

*My 1000th post!*

:previous:
Congratulations Furienna! :flowers:

Questions about my ancestors

I am a lineal descendant of Duke Magnus II of Sachsen-Lauenburg (House Ascania and eldest son) and princess Sofia of Sweden (House Vasa). I have some questions about what this means (just of interest and for fun).

Can I rightfully say I am part of any of their houses?

The House of Vasa is extinct in the original agnatic line => no current head. Does that change anything?

Is there any way for a lineal descendant to claim anything regarding any of the houses (seeing there is no claimant of the head currently)?

Thanks in advance. :flowers:

You are not "part of" but "descended from" two formerly reigning Houses.

In 1928 on the death of her childless brother Grand Duke Friedrich II of Baden, the former Princess Viktoria of Baden became the Vasa claimant to the Swedish throne. However, as she was married to Gustaf V, King of Sweden at the time, the Vasa and Bernadotte claims were united, merged and embodied in their eldest son, later King Gustav VI Adolf.

There is no Vasa headship to claim as the House is extinct in the male line and the female claim merged into the House of Bernadotte.

If I'm not completely mistaken, Sofia of Sweden (Victoria's grandmother) belonged to the house of Oldenburg, because the house of Vasa was already extinct by her time. But her family did have some ancestry from that house, which is why her brother Gustav would call himself "prince of Vasa" (which was really annoying to Carl XIV Johan, who was the first king of the Bernadotte line).

Last edited:
If I'm not completely mistaken, Sofia of Sweden (Victoria's grandmother) belonged to the house of Oldenburg, because the house of Vasa was already extinct by her time. But her family did have some ancestry from that house, which is why her brother Gustav would call himself "prince of Vasa" (which was really annoying to Carl XIV Johan, who was the first king of the Bernadotte line).

Furienna, you're mixing up two Swedish princesses called Sofia.

Sofia Vasa (1547-1611) was the daughter of Gustav I and Margareta Leijonhufvud and married Duke Magnus II of Sachsen-Lauenburg.

The second Sofia who was born in 1801 and died in 1865 was as you mentioned a daughter of Gustav IV Adolf and Fredrika of Baden and married her grandfathers half brother Leopold of Baden to unite the older and the younger branches of the House of Zähringen. Their daughter Victoria later married the future Gustav V of Sweden.

The later Sofia belonged to the House of Holstein-Gottorp which was a branch of the House of Oldenburg.

Funnily enough the Swedish branch of the House of Holstein-Gottorp didn't have the main claim to the throne when Adolf Fredrik was elected king. Instead it belonged to his cousin Paul who instead was chosen by his aunt Elisabeth to follow her on the Russian throne. He later married a German princess called Catherine of Anhalt-Zerbst and the rest as they say is history ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom