Royalty of Latin America

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlota

Majesty
Country
United States
i'm really impressed by the royal boom of latin americans marrying princes and princesses lately. here is a thread to ideantify all the royals who were born in latin america or those currently living in south america, for those who are interested.

so far...

-Princess Maxima of the Netherlands (Argentina)
-Princess Angela of Liechtenstein (Panama)
-Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (Cuba)
-Marie Chantal of Greece (mother was from Ecuador)
-Margarita Vargas (Venezuela, married to Duke of Anjou)
-Genoveva Casanova (Mexico, married to Duke of Salvatierra)
-(although not yet married) Tatiana Santo Domingo (Colombia)
-children of Princess Ragnhild of Norway, the Lorentzen's live currently in Brazil
-Alexandra of Austria currently lives in Chile
-Queen Silvia is half Brazilian
-Sarah Ferguson's mum married an argentinian polo player

carlota said:
-Marie Chantal of Greece (mother was from Ecuador)
Didn't know this.. but she was or she is?

Chantal Miller's friends (or maybe she herself) describe her as "the last Incan princess" in the media.

There have been rumors about that, but as many know, there is no evidence to support this claim. Perhaps she is a Princess in her own mind, but not in reality.;)

carlota said:
i'm really impressed by the royal boom of latin americans marrying princes and princesses lately.

...Lately??

These two ladies from your list,

"Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (Cuba)
Queen Silvia is half Brazilian"

married their European spouses in, respectively, 1981 (or 82 sth like that), and 1976, which with all due respect is 30 years ago.

Also, those people:

"-Alexandra of Austria currently lives in Chile
-Sarah Ferguson's mum married an argentinian polo player
-children of Princess Ragnhild of Norway, the Lorentzen's live currently in Brazil"

..aren't "Latin Americans by birth marrying into Euro royalty" which is what you are saying this list is about. So these three don't belong on your list, unless your list is about "Royals currently living in Latin America", but you seem to be saying it is about "commoner born Latinos marrying blue blooded Euros". I'm a bit confused as to what the premise is of this thread and why you see a trend at all in those --and I'm counting six-- people only marriying european royals in the last 30 years. And what does that have to do with someone like Sarah Ferguson's mother living in Argentina? I guess I'm confused here.

Last edited:
And one more thing, not to nitpick, but Marie Chantal of Greece identifies herself as "an American", ie someone from the United States. You are right her mother is from Central America, but her father isn't.

The ex-wife of Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia, Princess Maria da Gloria of Orléans-Braganza is from Brazil

EmpressRouge said:
Chantal Miller's friends (or maybe she herself) describe her as "the last Incan princess" in the media.

Yes, I heard that too. I'm the last Incan princess!!!!

Roxsteve said:
Yes, I heard that too. I'm the last Incan princess!!!!

I don’t think so. For what it is worth, I have read from more than one source that she came from a modest back ground and re-wrote her past to keep up with her present status as a wife or former wife of a very wealthy man.

Perhaps that is where the Incan princess story came from?

Pretty sad! She must have been very desperate to make up such a silly thing to say. That is quite embarrassing. I guess it made her feel good and important. Pretty funny!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its so good to see Latin woman princesses...
NO TO THE DISCRIMINATION!

Paula** said:
Its so good to see Latin woman princesses...
NO TO THE DISCRIMINATION!

You completely missed the point. It is about authenticity. Don't think royal fans or scholars have any objection to "Latin woman princesses" so long as their behavior adds appeal rather than simply draws attention.

Prince Pedro Of Braganza Is The Heir Of The Throne Of Brazil If This Country Had Monarchy. He Was Warried With Princess Esperanza, Who Dead. She Was Sister Of The Mother Of The King Juan Carlos. I Dont Know Where Live This Old Man, But I Know That He Have To Right To The Throne Of The Brazil.

And to continue with the Brazilians,the Princess de Ligne is from Brazil too (Orleans-Braganca dynasty), she is married to a cousin of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Genoveva Casanova Is Now Divorce To Salvatierra Duke

Prince Pedro Of Braganza Is The Heir Of The Throne Of Brazil If This Country Had Monarchy. He Was Warried With Princess Esperanza, Who Dead. She Was Sister Of The Mother Of The King Juan Carlos. I Dont Know Where Live This Old Man, But I Know That He Have To Right To The Throne Of The Brazil.

Actually, she is still alive and both are living in Brazil with their children. Some of the information is here in Wikipedia.

Prince Pedro Gastão of Orléans-Braganza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have removed the posts about Spanish aristocrats as this thread is for the genealogy of Latin American royals.

thanks,
Warren

The Imperial Family of Brazil are divided into two groups: one who is headed by Dom Pedro Gastão de Orleans e Bragança, who was married to an auntie of King Juan Carlos. Dom Pedro´s sister was Isabelle the Comtesse de |Paris.
He has many children and grandchildren and lives in Petropolis, near Rio de Janeiro.
The other branch is headed by Dom Luis de Orleans e Bragança who has ten other siblings, including Dom Antonio who is married to a Princess de Ligne.

And one more thing, not to nitpick, but Marie Chantal of Greece identifies herself as "an American", ie someone from the United States. You are right her mother is from Central America, but her father isn't.

Princess Olga, since you are obviously a stickler, I will note that Ecuador (the country of birth of Marie-Chantal's mother) is not in Central America but in South America.

For what it is worth, I have read from more than one source that she came from a modest back ground and re-wrote her past to keep up with her present status as a wife or former wife of a very wealthy man.

Perhaps that is where the Incan princess story came from?

A modest background?? I'm curious about your sources, because you are seriously misinformed. Marie-Chantal's father, Robert Warren Miller, is an Ivy League-educated billionaire who claims several Mayflower ancestors (which is as "old" and prestigious as you can get in the United States). He and his wife are based in Hong Kong but also have houses in London, Paris, New York, and Gstaad. Marie-Chantal was educated at Le Rosey in Switzerland, one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the world. If that's what's you call modest, well....

Last edited:
It was not a comment about Marie-Chantal,but about her mother...and no matter how rich she is,her background is modest compared to any royal or noble...it's about something money can't buy-noble ancestry!

On the other hand you got the point-Marie-Chantal is very educated,behaves very well and has style!

:previous: You're right, Marc23. I read Quin's comment too quickly and thought that it was in reference to M-C, not her mother. Apologies....

There are no Latin royals except the house of orleans Braganza in brazil and house of bourbon in Spain then again There was the royal family of Mexico with maximillian I and empress Charlotte but that went badly.

There are no Latin royals except the house of orleans Braganza in brazil and house of bourbon in Spain then again There was the royal family of Mexico with maximillian I and empress Charlotte but that went badly.
Do you mean the descendants of the Aztec and Inca emperors, such as Montezuma, are not of royal blood?:whistling:
Try to read some serious researches on the native royal families of South America, for example Naso people (a.k.a. Teribe) in Panama.

Maxima and Maria Theresa seem to be getting the royal lifestyle well and have fit perfectly into their roles. They are both of Latin decent but it will continue through their children.

Just how many Latin American royals are there because I consider them to have a palace.

royalty is defined by position in a particular society. NOT by any building or type of building it might use

At least these Latin princesses have something in common now with the Spanish royal family and have princesses that speak the native tongue of the Spanish royal family.

Queen Silvia of Sweden is considered half Brazilian because her mother was a Brazilian of aristocratic Portuguese descent.

The Countess of Paris (1911–2003), née Princess Isabel de Orleans e Bragança, was the daughter of the Brazilian Pedro de Alcântara de Orleans e Bragança, Prince of Grão Para. Prince Pedro was the heir, after his mother Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, to the throne of his grandfather, Emperor Pedro II of Brazil, until the empire's abolition. He also renounced his rights to the throne of Brazil on 30 October 1908 when he married Countess Elisabeth Dobržensky de Dobrženicz who, although a noblewoman of the kingdom of Bohemia, did not belong to a royal dynasty.

What is interesting here is that the beautiful Bragança tiara that now belongs to Sweden and is the most beautiful tiara Queen Silvia wears, was given by Emperor Pedro I of Brazil (also King Pedro IV of Portugal) - Great Grandfather of the Countess of Paris's father) to his second wife, Empress Amélie of Brazil. Empress Amélie died without children and left the tiara to her sister, Queen Josephine of Sweden.
So now, the Brazilian tiara belongs to a half Brazilian Queen.

Last edited:

Mexico's first emperor was Emperor Agustin I of the House of Iturbide.. the Iturbides are Spanish nobles which cam from the Navarre region of Spain.. his wife was Empress Ana Maria, which is a descendant of the House of Tagle from her maternal side.. the tagles were one of the oldest families in Spain and it was said that they were founded by a knight named Don sancho who fought for King Pelayo during the Age of the Reconquista and later married the king's daughter.. the House of iturbide later intermarried with the Counts von Gotzen and their current head is Count Maximiliano Gustav Albrecht Richard Agustin von Goetzen Iturbide.. the Tagle heiress, Doña Maria del Mar Alvarez de Abreu y Rodriguez de Albuerne, 8th Marquesa of Altamira, granddaughter of Don Manuel Rodriguez de Albuerne y Pérez de Tagle, 5th Marquis of Altamira married Carlos María O'Donnell y Joris, a member of the O'Donnell Dynasty of Ireland, and their son was Carlos O'Donnell, 2nd Duke of Tetuan.. current head is Hugo O'Donnell, 7th Duke of Tetuan..

Back
Top Bottom