Royal Standards and Coats of Arms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Von Schlesian said:
They have all evolved from relatively simple symbols of identifying the first rulers of regions, or their other geographical origins, to being intricate and elaborate representations of the histories of the Royal families. (The inclusion of family orders - such as the Order of the Black Eagle in the Hohenzollern arms is also an example of such transformation).

However, yet again I'm handballing to Warren to provide some visual examples (if you don't mind me doing so Warren).
Some of these are quite large, so I'll post them over a period of time.
courtesy cwflags.com

The Princely House of Schwarzburg (Rudolstadt and Sondershausen)

One of the "Four Counts of the Empire" 1356; raised to Princes of the Holy Roman Empire 1697; reigning Sovereign Princes of Schwarzburg until 22 November 1918.
Schwarzburg-Sondershausen extinct 1909; Schwarzburg (-Rudolstadt) extinct 1971.​

Schwarzburg.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I don't know if this have been asked before:eek: :eek: :eek: , but which is the symbol for each house, for example the symbol of the Borbon house is the fleur de lis, what about the Windsors, the Grimaldi, the Schleswig-H-S-G, Saxe-C-G, etc.

Thanks a lot;) :D :eek:

crisiñaki said:
Hey, I don't know if this have been asked before:eek: :eek: :eek: , but which is the symbol for each house, for example the symbol of the Borbon house is the fleur de lis, what about the Windsors, the Grimaldi, the Schleswig-H-S-G, Saxe-C-G, etc.

Thanks a lot;) :D :eek:
Hallo there Crisinaki!
As the house was established during the reign of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the Royal arms didn't change (as the previous arms had involved the removal of the Hanovarian equine arms). Thus the Royal Arms of the House of Windsor comprises of: [England]; Gules three lions passant guardent in pale (yellow), and langued Azure (which means on a background of red), in the first and fourth quarters, [Scotland]; the rampant lion and double tressure fleury-counter-fleury in the second quarter and [Ireland] the harp in the thrid quarter. The development however, has been far more complex in some cases, arms have lasted for only one reign before being arranged by the succeeding monarch (as was the case in the successions of Queen Mary I by Queen Elizabeth I, and King William III and Queen Mary II by Queen Anne.

Von Schlesian said:
As the house was established during the reign of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the Royal arms didn't change (as the previous arms had involved the removal of the Hanovarian equine arms).
The Great Britain Royal Standard 1714-1800 bearing the Arms of the Electoral House of Hanover can be found here.

Dutch coat of armses

1. HRH The Late Prince Bernhard's coat of arms
2. HRH The Late Prince Claus's crest
3. TRH Prince Constantijn & Princess Laurentien dual coat of arms
4. HH Prince Maurits's coat of arms

Attachments

• claus c..jpg
    claus c..jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 280fa170.jpg
    280fa170.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 719
  • u4-PrMauritsbornApril1968.jpg
    u4-PrMauritsbornApril1968.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 1918115.jpg
    1918115.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 346
Arms of Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia:

See this picture.

What does these arms tell us about its owner?

The arms are covered by a royal crown and an ermine mantle:
the owner is a member of a royal family

In I and III we see the Lion of the Netherlands and of Nassau:
the owner has something to do with the Netherlands and with the family of Nassau

In II and IV we see the Horn of Orange:
the owner has something to do with the family of Orange

In the heartshield we see the arms of Zorreguieta:
the owner has a descendance to the Zorreguieta family

Henri M. said:
In the heartshield we see the arms of Zorreguieta:
the owner has a descendance to the Zorreguieta family

I didn't know that the Zorreguieta family had arms...

José Antonio de Sorreguieta y Oyarzabal, Gamboa y Sagastume

lilytornado said:
I didn't know that the Zorreguieta family had arms...

The Zorreguieta arms are derived from don José Antonio de Sorreguieta y Oyarzabal, Gamboa y Sagastume, a direct male descendant of Máxima and her father Jorge Horacio Zorreguieta Stefanini.

However the descendance can be traced back to 1560, Don José Antonio de Sorreguieta y Oyarzabal, Gamboa y Sagastume (born 1777) is seen as the 'founder' of the Argentinean Zorreguieta's. He was a native of the village of Tolosa, that was established in the Virreinato del Río de la Plata toward end of the 18th century.

He settled in the city of La Salta in where he figured as a rich merchant and where he contracted a marriage with Doña Micaela Antonia Maurin Baamonde, with whom he left a noticeable and prolific descent.

The Netherlands High Council of Nobility was helped by Spanish and Argentinean genealogical and heraldical institutes and finally the Zorreguieta arms are described as 'A fortified castle with three towers, in red, flanked at both sides by a black wolve, stretching in front of a green cypres'.

:flowers:

Genealogía Argentina

Last edited:
What about Countess Alexandra before first princely and after second commoner marriage?

magnik said:
What about Countess Alexandra before first princely and after second commoner marriage?

She will maintain all the orders with symbols she recivede when she was married to Prince Joachim..it is the same with her own Coats of arms because she is having the order of the elefant witch is the higest order her in Denmark. It is a bit hard for me to say witch orders she have because she is not at the homepage of the royal family after her wedding this weekend.

When a woman marries into the royal family does she automatically get all teh elements of her husbands standard? for exampl ewhen William marries, will his wife's standard bear the three pointed label with the escallop shell? or will she just receive the normal arms of the royal family?

samgee said:
When a woman marries into the royal family does she automatically get all teh elements of her husbands standard? for exampl ewhen William marries, will his wife's standard bear the three pointed label with the escallop shell? or will she just receive the normal arms of the royal family?

Depends on the fact if her family has a coat of arms.
Usually a combination of both arms are used, like was done for Camilla of Cornwall's beautiful arms, see picture.

Inside it has both the Royal Arms as well the boar from the Arms of the late Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand. And it is flanked by a lion crowned with a princely crown and a boar with a crown. Camilla's Arms reflect her position of married woman who is not herself a heraldic heiress.

Last edited:
Denmark

Some new:
HRH The Prince Consort of Denmark's crest
HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark's crest

Attachments

• 2006729162937_dansk-prinsgemal.jpg
    2006729162937_dansk-prinsgemal.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 2006729163250_alexdan.jpg
    2006729163250_alexdan.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 382
Some more...

HRH Prince Alexandre of Yugoslavia's crest (uncle the Crown Prince)
HRH The Earl of Wessex's Garter crest
HRH The Duke of York's Garter crest
HM The Late King Olav of Norway's decorations at his Lying-in-state

Attachments

• sp329065.jpg
    sp329065.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 399
  • york.jpg
    york.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 633
  • ed.jpg
    ed.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 591
  • karageorgevich-a-hrh-arms.jpg
    karageorgevich-a-hrh-arms.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 554
Some more...

HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark's crest
HM The King of Norway's crest
HM The Queen of Norway's crest

Attachments

• 20065319519_DANMARK Joachim af 250x333.jpg
    20065319519_DANMARK Joachim af 250x333.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 200673121115_NORGE Sonja af 225x333.jpg
    200673121115_NORGE Sonja af 225x333.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 2006731205659_NORGE Harald af 250x333.jpg
    2006731205659_NORGE Harald af 250x333.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 664
Some more...

HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden's crest
HRH The Prince of Beira's crest
HRH The Princess of Asturias's crest

Attachments

• Beira.png
    Beira.png
    23 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Letizia_Coat_of_Arms.png
    Letizia_Coat_of_Arms.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,148
  • HKHVictoria1.jpg
    HKHVictoria1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,153
Perhaps this has already been addressed, and I am sorry if I missed it. If a non-royal marries a royal (i.e. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark), does she receive her own crest, or does she use her husband's coat of arms? If she does receive one, who determines the design?

please, forgive me for my ignorance! but...would anyone knows that if it possible to create your own coats of arms as a comoner and be recognize or valid????

Perhaps this has already been addressed, and I am sorry if I missed it. If a non-royal marries a royal (i.e. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark), does she receive her own crest, or does she use her husband's coat of arms? If she does receive one, who determines the design?

It depends. Generally a woman who is non-armigerous (does not have a coat of arms) would take her husband's arms. A woman who is armigerous would have hers impaled sinister with his (the shield will be split vertically, with the left side--that is, the right as you are looking at it--having her arms, and the right side having his).

please, forgive me for my ignorance! but...would anyone knows that if it possible to create your own coats of arms as a comoner and be recognize or valid????

Depends on where you live. In the USA there is no heraldic authority--people can do whatever they like. In most other countries, and definitely in those with reigning monarchies, it is often illegal--or, at least, in exceedingly poor taste--to assume any arms to which you are not entitled by right of either inheritance or issuance of Letters Patent.

Does any of you know whether the soon to be married Peter Phillips has a coat of arms? Or whether his father Mark Phillips and sister Zara Phillips do?

standard in use

1., HRH The Prince of Oranje's carflag
2., HM The Queen of Denmark's standard on Amelienborg Palace

Attachments

• s2IMG_1140.jpg
    s2IMG_1140.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 350
  • amaIMG_7479.jpg
    amaIMG_7479.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 298
Back
Top Bottom