Royal Cousins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say neither our queen, Silvia, nor Norway's queen, Sonja, most likely have any royal background. Of course, if we're talking fifteen generations back, I'm not sure, but still...

Last edited:
I would say neither our queen, Silvia, nor Norway's queen, Sonja, most likely have any royal background. Of course, if we're talking fifteen generations back, I'm not sure, but still...

You wouldn't know unless you looked....I'd say there's a reasonable chance that they have. You don't have to be connected within a few generations (say seven, for instance) to be of royal descent, whether directly or indirectly. If they have any noble blood in their veins, so to speak, at any stage, there's a good chance of a royal connection. Most people at this forum who have royal connections would have to go back 15-30 generations. Some are luckier, others would have to go back further. But that doesn't lessen their connection anymore than someone born into such a family. Those that retain their privileged positions are those family members who come from the lines lucky or ruthless enough to have retained their status. The others just have to make their merry way.

Queen Elizabeth II of England has many royal cousins and most is through Queen Victoria or King Christian IX of Denmark or otherwise because she is related to

HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain
HM king Michael I of Romania
HM king Carl XVI of Sweden
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HM Queen Margarethe II of Denmark
HM Queen Anne Marie of Greece
HM king Harald C of Norway
HM king Constantine II of Greece
And in some way probably to the monarchs of Belgium, lietchenstein, Monaco, Luxembourg and Russia
And at times maybe related to their spouse
Like Anne Marie and Constantine , Sofia and Juan Carlos , Elizabeth II and prince Phillip .

William and Kate are 12th cousins, once removed via an illegitimate descendant of the Stuarts. Also, Princess Diana and the former Duchess of York are distant cousins through Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. Diana is descendant from Georgiana's son, the Marquess of Hartington, while Sarah is descended from her illegitimate daughter, Eliza Courtney.

Queen Elizabeth II of England has many royal cousins and most is through Queen Victoria or King Christian IX of Denmark or otherwise because she is related to

HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain
HM king Michael I of Romania
HM king Carl XVI of Sweden
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HM Queen Margarethe II of Denmark
HM Queen Anne Marie of Greece
HM king Harald C of Norway
HM king Constantine II of Greece
And in some way probably to the monarchs of Belgium, lietchenstein, Monaco, Luxembourg and Russia
And at times maybe related to their spouse
Like Anne Marie and Constantine , Sofia and Juan Carlos , Elizabeth II and prince Phillip .
Let's see... The first king of Belgium was prince Albert's brother, so Elizabeth is distantly related to that family. And she was related to the last tsar of Russia through Christian IX and to the last tsarina through Queen Victoria. I don't know about the royal families of Liechtenstein, Monaco and Luxembourg though.

And yes, she's related to Anne Marie through Queen Victoria and to Constantine and Sophia through Christian IX.

Let's see... The first king of Belgium was prince Albert's brother, so Elizabeth is distantly related to that family. And she was related to the last tsar of Russia through Christian IX and to the last tsarina through Queen Victoria. I don't know about the royal families of Liechtenstein, Monaco and Luxembourg though.

And yes, she's related to Anne Marie through Queen Victoria and to Constantine and Sophia through Christian IX.

They are all related,it just depends to what degree...

Monaco:

Prince Albert II of Monaco has descended from Princess Marie von Baden(Duchess of Hamilton) and through her is related to Queen Elizabeth II...in fact Prince Rainer(father of Albert II) and Queen Elizabeth are 7th cousins due to their common ancestry from Prince Johann Willelm Friso von Nassau-Dietz,Stadholder of the Netherlands...

Luxembourg:

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg is 3rd cousin once removed with Queen Elizabeth II as they are both descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark...
Queen Elizabeth II has also descended from Nassau-Weilburg dynasty(who in turn has descended from Kings of Britain) which later ruled in Luxembourg...

Liechtenstein:

Prince Hans Adam II von und zu Liechtenstein is also 7th cousin to Queen Elizabeth II as they are both descendants of Johann Willem Friso,Prince von Nassau-Dietz and Stadholder of the Netherlands...

From Johan Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (d1693)

The current reigning or de juré monarchs of:

Albania
Austria
Bavaria
Belgium
Denmark
Great Britain
Greece
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden

From James I, King of England (d1625)
through his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Friedrich V, Elector Palatine, King of Bohemia

The current reigning or de juré monarchs of:

Austria
Bavaria
Bulgaria
Denmark
France (Bonaparte)
France (Orléans)
Great Britain
Greece
Hanover
Italy
Liechtenstein
Norway
Prussia
Romania
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Yugoslavia [Serbia]

source: Burke's Royal Families of the World, Vol 1

After all they are all somehow connected!

Let's see... The first king of Belgium was prince Albert's brother, so Elizabeth is distantly related to that family. And she was related to the last tsar of Russia through Christian IX

It would be also interesting to say that Elizabeth II and current King Albert II of the Belgians are more closely related as they are both descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark which makes them 3rd cousins...

Let's see... The first king of Belgium was prince Albert's brother...
To keep the record straight, Leopold King of the Belgians was the uncle of Prince Albert (and equally of Queen Victoria).
Leopold, Albert's father Duke Ernst I and Princess Victoria, later of Leiningen and later Duchess of Kent, were siblings.
Prince Albert's brother was the somewhat lacklustre Duke Ernst II.

Ouch... Well, I stand corrected.

Don't know if anyone is interested,but Queen Elizabeth II and French President Nicolas Paul Stephane Sarkozy de Nagy-Bosca,who originated from a Hungarian noble family(enobled way back in 1628),are also related...Here is the line where one can see that Sarkozy was an ancestor of the Queen,who also has many other Hungarian noble ancestors...

Elisabeth Sarkozy
I
Maria Maczesdy de Maczesd
I
Helene Rusory de Rusor
I
Michael Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa-elder,died in 1716
I
Michael Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa-younger
I
Peter Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa,lived from 1737-1797
I
Karolina Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa,died in 1810
I
Baroness Agnes Inczedy de Nagy Varad,lived from 1788-1856
I
Countess Claudine Rhedey de Kis-Rhede,lived from 1812-1841
I
Duke Franz von Teck,lived from 1837-1900
I
Princess Victoria Mary von Teck,lived from 1867-1953
I
King George VI of Great Britain,lived from 1895-1952
I
Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain,born in 1926

Last edited:
I believe the queen and her husband are cousins

Queen Victoria
King Edward vii
King George v
King George vi
Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Victoria
Princess Alice,duchess of Hesse and by Rhine
Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine
Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark
Prince Phillip,duke of Edinburgh

And with the king of Norway
Queen Victoria
King Edward vii
Princess maud of wales,queen of Norway
King Orlav v of Norway
King Harald v of Norway

And the king of Sweden
Queen Victoria
Prince Arthur,duke of Connaught
Crown princess Margaret of Sweden
Prince gustaf vi adolf
King Carl xvi gustaf

And the king of Spain
Queen Victoria
Princess Beatrice m. Henry mountbatten
Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
Infante Jaime,count of Barcelona
King Juan Carlos I

And the queen of Spain
Queen Victoria
Princess royal Victoria,german empress
Princess Sophie of prussia
King Paul I of Greece
Queen Sofia of Spain

So then what is their relationship to the queen and her husband? And what is the relationship then of prince Charles of wales and prince Felipe of Asturias,crown prince haakon of Norway,and crown princess victoria of Sweden?

Also princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine married Louis Mountbatten and princess beatrice married Henry mountbatten and Louis and Henry are brothers so the prince Phillip and king Juan Carlos are how close of cousins?

And since king Harald v of Norway is also a decedent of king Edward vii and queen Victoria, isn't his family also in line to the British throne ? Or is it just everyone decended from queen Victoria that is in line because there are a lot of royalty that are decendents of her.

If I remember correctly every crowned Queen or King currently reigning in Europe is desendant from Q Victoria and/or King Christian except Queen Beatrix of Neatherlands but I may be incorrect in that ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc23: That is interesting. But then, haven't many American presidents also been distantly related to the British royal family?

MRSJ: I think that's absolutely correct.

If your have New England Roots you're related to Presidents. It's been a while but I recall that George Washington was descended from Malcolm II of Scotland and that the Bush family (like me) is descended from William the Lion King of Scotland through his daughter Isabella.

Marc23: That is interesting. But then, haven't many American presidents also been distantly related to the British royal family?

Yes,almost to all of them if not every one...

If I remember correctly every crowned Queen or King currently reigning in Europe is desendant from Q Victoria and/or King Christian except Queen Beatrix of Neatherlands but I may be incorrect in that ....

While Beatrix is no descendent of Queen Victoria or King Christian, she is a descendant of the Electress Sophia (via George I - Prussia - Mecklenburg), thus related...

While Beatrix is no descendent of Queen Victoria or King Christian, she is a descendant of the Electress Sophia (via George I - Prussia - Mecklenburg), thus related...

She is aso closely related to the Queen of Denmark through the Mecklenberg line

I can't find the site any more, but it showed that even more so than the links through Victoria, nearly all Royal Houses are related to the Dutch RF, through a 17th century (?) link.
It really bothers me though, that I can't find that site. I was really surprised at the information (we only ever hear about Victoria), but looking at the family-trees, it really was true.

SLV

That was it.
Thanks!

Also to the King of Sweden through the House of Waldeck and Pyrmont.
I'm sorry, but what's our king's links to the house of Waldeck and Pyrmont? I've never heard about that.

:previous:
Georg Viktor, Prince of Waldeck & Pyrmont > Helene (married Leopold, Duke of Albany) > Karl Eduard, Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha > Sibylla (married Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden) > Carl XVI Gustaf

Another daughter of Georg Viktor was Emma, Queen Regent of the Netherlands and mother of Queen Wilhelmina.

Last edited:
Thank you! :flowers:

(Gustaf Adolf never even became crown prince though, as his grandfather outlived him. :sad:)

I believe you are speaking of John William Friso, Prince of Orange? Not a website but at least a wikipedia article about him being the common ancestor of all the reigning European royal families
Royal descendants of John William Friso, Prince of Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will have to read it - but I have to add it to the list of people who are "ancestral to all the royal houses of Europe." I suspect most claims are true (given the research I've done so far - which is supported by the research of others). Charlemagne is pretty much "ancestral to all the royal houses of Europe" too, - but the more recent one gets with the claim, the more carefully it can be researched (and is often not quite true).

I'm working on getting as many royals I can into my family tree maker file and it's fascinating to see how interrelated everyone is. It's actually given me headaches to keep track of everyone.

Back
Top Bottom