The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Nobility

Although I am notHRH, nor have I ever claimed to be 'royal,' we are all related (however distantly). Before Charlemagne, HM Christian IX of Denmark, or HM/HIM Queen/Empress Victoria of Great Britain and India, there was Noah. Yes, the Noah from 'Noah and the Ark' presented in the old testament. With reasoning, we should all be 'related' to each other, and this would include royalty/aristocracy. It was revealed in an internet article, TRH the Duke/Duchess of Cambridge are 14th cousins, but the same article revealed HisRH is also the 14th cousin of - Ellen DeGeneres.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Crown princess Victoria of Sweden
Crown prince haakon of Norway
Crown prince Frederik of Denmark
Prince Charles of wales
Prince Felipe of Asturias
Heirs and cousins in one way or another

Queen Elizabeth II of england
Queen Sofia of Spain
King Juan Carlos I of Spain
King Harald v of Norway
King Carl xvi gustaf of Sweden
King micheal I of Romania
Constantine II of Greece
Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Queen margarethe II of denmark
Monarchs and cousins through either or both queen Victoria of England or king Christian Ix of Denmark sometimes more than once

Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Nobility

With all the intermarriage between descendants of just HM Queen Victoria of Great Britain and her first-cousin husband, Prince Albert, it is amazing (or untrue) there has not been nary a seriously deformed and/or seriously disabled/ mentally challenged offspring resulting from the union of descendants of HM QV who are related several times over - such as HM King JC of Spain and his wife, HM Queen Sofia. Because of this increased risk to an innocent 'potential child,' the introduction of new DNA/genes into many RF's these days was/is much needed and is for the best.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Aristocracy

Intermarriage is not necesserily the cause of physical and/or mental impairment in children, however it DOES mean that the potential for these conditions already in a family never become diluted......and thus gives rise to tales of hairy monsters and hideous deformaties locked away in Royal attics.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Many U.S. Presidents are descended from European nobility - most notably Plantagenets, but also many others. Included are:

George Washington
John Quincy Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison (Zachary Taylor's cousin)
Zachary Taylor
Both Roosevelts
Woodrow Wilson
George Bush and George W. Bush
Andrew Jackson

And John Adams, while not straightforwardly descended from Royalty, is a descendant of Welsh aristocracy (and he married a woman with royal ancestry).

If you read much about the late Middle Ages or Renaissance, you at once realize that many younger sons or wayward children of aristocracy would have fled to a New World, had there been one - and their families would have helped them do so, either out of sentiment or to squash scandals.

Many of the sea captains who helped transport to Jamestown were descendants of nobility, often through female lines or younger brothers. Many of the investors in Jamestown had royal ancestry at some point (like the Taillefers).
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

There is a lot more. The Royal Blood of Some American Presidents. I've posted where this line goes back to Adam and Eve through of course the Royal House of David.

I'm related to the Adams on my mothers side and John the second was the father of John Quincey who was the sixth President related to the Spencers.

This is the main link for Genealogy-Roglo. The links don't last. Cináed I is Kenneth MacAlpin or Kenneth I of Scotland founder of my fathers family Clan. I ran from him to George Bush. The Adams and Spencers are related as I said however, this link says there is none.

Princess Diana's grandmother Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton decends from James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton married to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland. Making Prince William and Harry related to the Grimaldis thru both parents not just Prince Charles.

Its been three years since I did it but Rainier III father traced to Olof Skotkonung, King of Sweden making them cousins to Sweden's Royal family on both sides not just through Louis II. You never know what you will find with some of the programs available now online. Rainiers parents were also cousins through their Scottish ancestors.

When people say Prince Albert of Monaco looks like his mother and Rainier isn't his father I laugh. My family isn't related to the Kelly family but Grimaldis on our Scottish side. When Albert was younger he looked like he could have been my brother.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Queen Elizabeth II of england
Queen Sofia of Spain
King Juan Carlos I of Spain
King Harald v of Norway
King Carl xvi gustaf of Sweden
King micheal I of Romania
Constantine II of Greece
Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Queen margarethe II of denmark
Monarchs and cousins through either or both queen Victoria of England or king Christian Ix of Denmark sometimes more than once
And two sets of royal siblings: King Constantine and Queen Sofia are brother and sister, Queen Margarethe and Queen Anne-Marie are sisters.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Serene Highness

Oh yes, LadyMacAlpine - there's a lot more.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Aristocracy

Would you please explain how related to each other Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Queen Sophia of Spain?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironical View Post
Would you please explain how related to each other Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Queen Sophia of Spain?
King George I Greece - King Constantine I - King Paul - Queen Sophia
King Geirge I Greece - Prince Andrew - Prince Phillip
so first cousins once removed.
Another line
Queen Victoria - Empress Friedricj Germany - Princess Sophie - King Paul Greece - Queen Sophia
Queen Victoria - Princess Alice - Princess Luoise von Hesse - Princess Alice Battenberg - Prince Phillip
Third cousins this way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you so much!
I only knew that both Prince Philip and Queen Sophia are from the Greece Royal Family, so I supposed that they could be relatives
Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Courtier

you are welcome, I enjoy working out the relationships
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

I have an understanding that crown prince Alexander II of Yugoslavia and crown princess margarita of Romania are family through Queen Marie of Romania
And that King Albert II of Belgium is grand duke Henri of luxembourg's uncle making Guillaume and Philippe family.

HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain and HRH prince phillip, duke of Edinburgh are cousins through the brothers Louis and Henry Mountbatten and both are also related to their respective wives as well, I just wonder if when they met their future wives they knew they were cousins?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
How Were" Willy and Nicky" Related
Frederick William III of Prussia -> William I, German Emperor -> Frederik III, German Emperor -> William II, German Emperor
Frederick William III of Prussia -> Alexandra Feodorovna, Empress of Russia -> Alexander II of Russia -> Alexander III of Russia -> Nicholas II of Russia
They were thrid cousins once removed.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain and HRH prince phillip, duke of Edinburgh are cousins through the brothers Louis and Henry Mountbatten and both are also related to their respective wives as well, I just wonder if when they met their future wives they knew they were cousins?
They most definitely did. Most European royals were (and still are) related, so it would have been hard to find one even in distant relation, let alone not related at all.
In case of Juan Carlos, I imagine there was a long search for an "eligible" Princess and Sofia ticked all boxes. Prince Philip knew Princess Elizabeth since she was a little girl; their meeting was arranged by Earl Mountbatten and both parties knew about it beforehand.