The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Commoner

Royal BOMC - 800th year

On this glorious year, 800 years ago, the Magna Charta was drafted at great risk to the signers. Due to the great danger and great relevance of their actions, the Barons of the Magna Charta are one of the most revered classes around. It was no surprise that I appear to be descent of at least one Baron, as my Almy ancestor is a listed Gateway Ancestor.

Yesterday, October 16th 2015 everything changed. On that day I decided that I had spent ample time attempting to connect the multiple "royal" branches on my tree. I must admit that I am only partially complete with this work. I found that my work was adequate enough to give me ample lineage information on the bulk of the Barons.

Here is what I found:

12 Direct Lineages to Barons:
------------------------------------
-Robert de Ros b 1182 - 24th ggf
-William de Mowbray b. abt 1173 - 24th ggf
-John de Lacy - b abt 1192 - 22nd ggf
-Saer de Quincy - b abt 1155 - 25th ggf
-William de Huntingfield - b abt 1165 - 23rd ggf
-Hugh Bigod - b abt 1095 - 25th ggf
-Roger Bigod - b abt 1144 - 24th ggf
-Robert de Vere - b abt 1171 - 25th ggf
-Henry Bohun - b abt 1176 - 23rd ggf
-Richard de Clare - b 1162 - 23rd ggf
-William de Lanvallei - b bef 1190 - 27th ggf
-Geoffrey Say -b abt 1155 - 22nd ggf

6 First Order Lineages:
---------------------------------------
-Richard de Percy before 1183 - 25th great uncle
His parents are my 25th- ggp
-Roger de Montbegon b abt 1165 - 25th great uncle
His parents are my 25th- ggp
-John Clavering FitzRobert b. abt 1190 - 25th great uncle
His father is my 25th ggf
-Geoffrey de Mandeville b. abt 1186 - 22nd great uncle
His father is my 22nd ggf
-Gilbert de Clare b abt 1180 - 23rd great uncle
His father is my 23rd ggf
-William Marshall b abt 1190 - 23rd great uncle
His father is my 23rd ggf

7 More Obscure Lineages:
-----------------------------------------
-Robert FitzWalter b abt 1162 -24th great uncle
His grand mother is my 25th ggm
-Eustace de Vesci - b 1169/70 - 1st cousin 25x removed
his great gramd father is my 25th ggf
-William de Albini -b abt 1160 - 1st cousin 25x removed
his great grand father is my 25th ggf
-Robert FitzWalter b abt 1162 -25th great uncle
His great grand mother is my 25th ggm
-William de Forz - b abt 1192 - 2nd cousin 25x removed -
his 2nd ggf is my 25th ggf
-Richard de Montfichet b. bef 1202 - 2nd cousin 23x removed
-William Malet b. abt 1173 - 2nd cousin 23x removed

1 With Zero Lineage Found:
------------------------------------------
- William de Hardell

I'm curious what you would do with this information. I've never heard of someone having lineage to 24 out of 25 of MC Barons.

Thanks For Your Time,

William

Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 AM
Gentry

why do anything with it? enjoy what you found

Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Commoner

Doing nothing is a bad decision. Why?
Because joining the bomc requires that I have verified and documented lineage. If I do nothing, then there is no progress.

I love history and Genealogy, so further documenting these connections would actually be lots of fun.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHiker View Post
Doing nothing is a bad decision. Why?
Because joining the bomc requires that I have verified and documented lineage. If I do nothing, then there is no progress.

I love history and Genealogy, so further documenting these connections would actually be lots of fun.
Reading your post, I thought perhaps you might be interested in a course that is being offered called "Exploring English: Magna Carta" through a educational website called futurelearn.com. All courses are offered by various institutions and universities around the world and are totally free.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...sh-magna-carta
Old 10-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Commoner

Thank you, but I don't need to learn English. Your link seems like spam.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHiker View Post
Thank you, but I don't need to learn English. Your link seems like spam.
Trust me, its not. I've taken quite a few courses at the site. It was here at TRF that I first heard of the course being offered to run side by side with the reburial of Richard III. Very interesting course in the life and times of the era and its people and the War of the Roses. This is the course description for Exploring English (I took it to mean things that are English and not learning the language): Magna Carta (a specific time and event in English history) and it is being offered by the British Council.

"This free online course will start by looking at the events that led to the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215, before examining the role the Magna Carta has played in shaping history – from American independence to liberation movements around the world.

Finally, we will look at the relevance of the Magna Carta to the 21st century."

Just putting the information out there for all that might be interested. Although I do realize that this course is aimed towards those that are perhaps using English as a secondary language, I don't think it would detract at all from the information to be gleaned from the course.

BTW: The course on Richard III was offered by the University of Leicester. There is also a course being offered in the The Holocaust: Part 1 & 2 which are being offered through the University of Tel Aviv and various other courses in various different areas of study.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Commoner

I will look into this further. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Majesty

By the way, welcome to The Royal Forums. I think you've found yourself at a place where there is a wealth of information on just about anything to do with royalty from silly hats (which got me here in the first place) to, as you've seen, some really in depth conversations about history and geneaology and just about anything else you can imagine. There are a lot of warm, friendly and well informed people here. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Tags
baron, bomc, magna charta, royal