The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

It is not so straitghtforward to tell which reigning royal house is the oldest.

The Windsors for example trace their immediate ancestry to the first Hanoverian king of Great Britain in the early 18th century. However, the Hanoverians also descend from the Stuarts, who in turn descend from the Tudors, who in turn descend from the Plantagenets all the way back to William the Conqueror. One might say then that, including collateral and female lines, Queen Elizabeth II is part of a family tree dating back to 1066. Likewise, the Spanish Bourbons, through their French ancestors (King Philip V was a grandson of Louis XIV), can trace their roots all the way back to Hugh Capet, the first King of France who lived between 941 and 996, even though they have been in the Spanish throne properly only since the early 18th century.

In fact, even the royal houses of the "new monarchies" of the 19th century, e.g. Belgium and the Netherlands, are actually older than they look at first impression. There have been only seven "Kings of the Netherlands" (since 1815), but the Dutch house of Orange-Nassau is much older than the Kingdom of the Netherlands per se, dating back at least to the 16th century and, since then, the family has been closely associated with Dutch history (as any visitor to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam will immediately notice). Likewise, there have been only seven "Kings of the Belgians" (since 1831), but the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha ancestors of King Leopold I had been rulers in Saxony long before the Kingdom of Belgium was created.

I guess the only European royals that can't claim a long dynastic tree pre-dating the 19th century are actually the Swedish Bernadottes, who are truly of commoner ancestry. Nevertheless, even in that case, through the marriage of King Gustav V with Victoria of Baden, his descendants , including the current king Carl XVI Gustaf, became matrilineally related to the old Vasa dynasty and, therefore, related to a royal line dating back to the Middle Ages.

I guess that the Danish royal familiy may be the oldest (patrineally ?) , but I don't see their ancestral claims as far superior than those of other European royal houses, particularly the major ones like the Bourbons.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Japanese Imperial NOT the Oldest Line

The Pictish (ancient Scottish) bloodline is older than the Japanese Imperial, for sure. It is at least 3000 years old, closer to 4000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthol%C3%B3n

Old 09-11-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post
what royal/noble families have the oldest traceable ancesty.also is the massimo descent from an ancient roman general(maximus i believe) genuine.i find this fascinating so any info or input is much appreciated.

i forgot to mention that it does not matter wheather it is male or female line descent.

hi. let me start by saying that i have already asked this question in a different part of this forum,but recieved no reply. what royal/noble families have the oldest traceable lineage. also are the roman descents of the massimo, orsiniand antici-matei(sorry about the spelling)families genuine.thanks in advance.

By the by, if anyone is interested I would happily produce the family tree that outlines the genealogical connection between "Adam and Eve" and the current House of Lords nobles of the Erskine family, who are Pictish.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:22 AM
Gentry

much of early pictish royalty is mythical... thus a non-factor here
Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norenxaq View Post
much of early pictish royalty is mythical... thus a non-factor here
Just because the Irish or the British aren't the source of information doesn't mean it's "mythical". To say so is borderline slander. The earliest king reported by our enemies at the time, the Gaels, was in the 6th century, which definitively and historical establish their kingdom well before most of the bloodlines mentioned. Nonfactor indeed.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Gentry

6th century ad is not a problem. when early kings are reported to have 80-100 year reigns consistently as sevaral of the first pictish kings have enters the realm of myth. time period, I believe these began around 1000 bc. Ireland has another problem with those attaching its royal family to judaea which I consider an early modern myth
Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norenxaq View Post
6th century ad is not a problem. when early kings are reported to have 80-100 year reigns consistently as sevaral of the first pictish kings have enters the realm of myth. time period, I believe these began around 1000 bc. Ireland has another problem with those attaching its royal family to judaea which I consider an early modern myth
There is conjecture that the time periods of these reigns aren't meant to be interpreted as literal years, but that the numbers had significant meaning to the Picts. What that meaning is I couldn't say.

For a similar reason, I also agree that most of these supposed genealogical connections to judaea (Noah, in particular), are in fact mythical. However, it's interesting to see where there is some overlapping with fact.

The Romans (Tacitus) recorded the Battle of Mon Grapus in 84 AD, against the Picts, lead by Calgacus (a roman assigned name). Hadrian's wall which was built subsequently still stands to this day. This to me suggests that the Pictish kingdom was already established by this time, or certainly they were an organized people as they remained one of the only peoples in the area to remain unconquered by the Roman Legion.

This battle likely took place in Aberdeenshire, where my ancestors came from. There are also several Pictish Stones in this area, many of which predate the introduction of Christianity to the area. On these stones are Ogham markings, a form of writing. We do not know what these markings mean. The Pictish language was thought to have only been verbal, but clearly it wasn't, the meaning is simply unknown (or maybe only know by a very select few).

I'm inclined to believe that any connection to Judaea and "Adam and Eve" is mythical. The Christian's used all their might and fury to convert the peoples of the British Isles. Saint Columba, who converted the Pictish King in the 6th century (hmm...so this is why this is the accepted date their kingdom was established), also recorded the first sighting of the Loch Ness monster, and that the Picts had druids as their priest class. Supposedly, Columba even had a magical duel with the King's head druid, and converted them all by overpowering the druid with his magic.

Myth? Yes.
Christian writing? yes.
Our only fully interpreted source of information? Sadly.

If we could only read Ogham and understand the Pictish language, I'm sure there would be a lot more light shed on the topic.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Gentry

I thought ogham could be transliterated?one can find ogham fonts online... I also believe i have heard pictish could be translated.or, are these guesses?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 AM

There are many theories, but very little consensus, and I haven't seen anything near what would be a full translations or understanding of the markings. The fonts online are generally used by people who revere the markings, and have assigned them to a alphabet, but not an actual translation.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Oldest Royal and Noble Families

One ancient line of descent which is believed to be the oldest in the world is that of the Dukes Yansheng, descendants in the male line from the philosopher Confucius living between 551-479 BC. He himself was a descendant of the Zhang dynasty and the Lords of Song which would make his ancestry traceable back to at least around 1000 BC. Living today he has offspring in the 83d generation.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Clan Erskine
Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Are there any notable Welsh families who can trace their lineage before the English conquest of Wales?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Gentry

shang dynasty was established around 1600 bc. by 1000 bc it had been overthrown by the zhou. the latter's founder appointed a shang dynasty prince, duke of song