The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Aristocracy

Perhaps this will surprise many but the oldest extant, though non-reigning, dynasties are to be found on the very edges of Europe. Those mediatized princely families in the Caucasus, and the former families who provided High Kings and regional kings in Ireland. The later either fled to the continent or were mediatized by the English Tudors (yes they are Welsh and Norman but were sovereigns of England and self appointed lords of Ireland) during the push for English supremacy.

Although Ireland (the southern portion is a republic) the government with the consent of the president and supervised by the Chief Herald of Ireland, in Dublin have always acknowledged the former dynastic families and their septs. The Chiefs of Family apart from their territorial titles are acknowledged as eith Serene Highness or Most Serene Highness. As the old saying goes: all the Irish are sons of kings isn't as far fetched as it seems, their being over thirty chiefly and princely families.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
I believe that the oldest reigning dynasty is the House of Tupou, the royal family of Tonga.
The Tupou family geneology...prior to them, there were many "cheifly rulers" or equilalent = Surpreme Rulers (abt. 450 a.d.), the Tu'i Tonga Dynasty began with 'Aho'eitu (abt. 950 a.d.-1500 a.d.) and continued with two more dynasties...the Tu'i Takalaua (abt. 1550 a.d.) and present...The Tu'i Kanokupolu Dynasty started with Siaosi "George" Taufa'ahau Tupou I to today's Tongan king (2010)...with King George Tupou V. So "documented", Tonga's Royal connections... is between 450 a.d./950 a.d. to today 23 Jan 2010.

note:There is continued research covering Polynesia's Royal families...
with the Lapita peoples...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin View Post
Other long traceable royal geneologies are the English, Danish, and French Royal Families.

The English can extend back to the time of Boadicea I believe.
In France the Orleans monarchs traced their lineage back to the Roman Emperor Commodius Pontus. Some of that line surrvives in the USA as the Du Pont family of Delaware.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Nobility

Boadicea was Celtic and therefore has no connection with the English. Germanic Angles and Saxons originated on the Jutland peninsula and migrated to Britain much later than the Celts.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Courtier

What about Bagration family?There are some sources that state that first Bagration Prince is mentioned in 314 AD...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Commoner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Boadicea was Celtic and therefore has no connection with the English. Germanic Angles and Saxons originated on the Jutland peninsula and migrated to Britain much later than the Celts.
That doesn't mean there's no connection....all these peoples intermarried. The modern English are a combination of Celtic, Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Viking, Norman and who knows what else. To deny a connection just based on a tribal ethnicity is false history.

Here's an example for you....they found a skeleton in NW Wales buried in a cave. It was the skeleton of a guy that was buried about 9000 years ago, just after the ice had retreated from that area of the UK. They took a sample of his DNA and sequenced it. Then, just out of curiosity, they sampled the DNA of several hundred people, including school kids, from the area. 80% of the population of the area were found to be this guy's nth great grand kids....in other words, they were his direct descendants. Yet everyone there was also of Celtic and other blood. Of the rest, about 5% may have been indirect relatives of this guy and the others were the usual "blow ins" that you will find in any population.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Commoner

The oldest recognised family tree in the world today is the one belonging to the descendants of Confucius....it's over 80 generations in length.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Serene Highness

Isn't Japanese Imperial family the oldest royalty today? The dynasty is more than 2,000 years.
If we believe Wikipedia: Imperial House of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Gentry

tonga questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaiFSekona1975 View Post
The Tupou family geneology...prior to them, there were many "cheifly rulers" or equilalent = Surpreme Rulers (abt. 450 a.d.), the Tu'i Tonga Dynasty began with 'Aho'eitu (abt. 950 a.d.-1500 a.d.) and continued with two more dynasties...the Tu'i Takalaua (abt. 1550 a.d.) and present...The Tu'i Kanokupolu Dynasty started with Siaosi "George" Taufa'ahau Tupou I to today's Tongan king (2010)...with King George Tupou V. So "documented", Tonga's Royal connections... is between 450 a.d./950 a.d. to today 23 Jan 2010.

note:There is continued research covering Polynesia's Royal families...
with the Lapita peoples...
is there any actual lineage before 'Aho'eitu? if so, what would it be?

did any Lapita oral tradition survive and is anything known about any of its rulers?
thank-you
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
Isn't Japanese Imperial family the oldest royalty today? The dynasty is more than 2,000 years.
If we believe Wikipedia: Imperial House of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
there is some question about the accuracy of this family's lineage prior to Ojin
(3rd or 4th century AD depending on the source)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthem View Post
The oldest recognised family tree in the world today is the one belonging to the descendants of Confucius....it's over 80 generations in length.
and were nobles before 1911
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
What about Bagration family?There are some sources that state that first Bagration Prince is mentioned in 314 AD...
I found this about Bagration daynasty(Grand Duchess Leonida's family):

"Early Georgian historians describe its descent from Vakhtang I Gorgasal,King of Iberia in 446-502,through his great grandson Gurgen I,whose royal title was acknowledged by the Emperor Justinian I in 575.According to Price Toumanoff,first Bagratid prince was chronicled as early as 314 AD.Certain history of the family begins in the 8th century."
Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Serene Highness

Carolingians were still related to the Merovingians, just not through the male line.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posts not relevant to this thread have been moved to the Help With Family Histories thread in Members' Corner.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

The oldest noble family I know of in England which is the House of Buckman, which goes back to before 1066 which they held seats and then after William conquered England they continued to hold seats. It has been carried through the ages to when it came to America in the early 1700's, lately it has been carried through female lines to my Grandmother. The oldest noble family of Germany I know of is the George's, not spelled like the others of Germany spelled Georg, can be traced to 1256.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of George View Post
...The oldest noble family of Germany I know of is the George's, not spelled like the others of Germany spelled Georg, can be traced to 1256.
1256 is quite late. There are plenty of noble families which can trace their lineage well before this date, eg both Salm and Isenburg/Ysenburg 963, Oettingen 987, Colleredo-Mannsfeld 1031, Ortenburg 1048, Sayn 1052, Fürstenberg 1070, Leiningen 1080, etc etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Commoner

And not forget the Wettins, first mentioned in late 10th century, but possibly older.

Wettiner
Burchard von Thüringen
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Gentry

What about the ancient royal houses?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
1256 is quite late. There are plenty of noble families which can trace their lineage well before this date, eg both Salm and Isenburg/Ysenburg 963, Oettingen 987, Colleredo-Mannsfeld 1031, Ortenburg 1048, Sayn 1052, Fürstenberg 1070, Leiningen 1080, etc etc.
Great post Warren...some "bigger" families in Germany go even further ;-)
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

To me, the vast number of people who descend from Charlemagne through his legitimate line (Bertrada Longfoot of Laon) are one of the most ancient families. Bertrada's bloodlines are Merovingian.

It's interesting that due to Salic law (rather than mere descent) Charlemagne's descendants lose the throne (and of course, eventually the throne is abandoned), but the bloodlines still exist.

The overall number of royals descended from both legitimate and illegitimate offspring of Charlemagne is staggering, really. If there's a big Meet and Greet in the afterlife, where people can meet up with their ancestors, there's going to be a big crowd around Charlemagne.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Aristocracy

from what i know, the Georgian House of Bagrationi is the oldest royal/noble house in Europe dating back to 545 AD..

the German House of Wettin, who is the ancestor line of the Ernestine duchies was founded about 900 AD.. the House of Habsburg was founded in 985 AD, while the House of Zähringen has ruled Baden since 962 AD.. other old royal houses includes the House of Savoy (1003 AD), House of Hohenzollern (1100 AD), House of Schamburg (1100), House of Ascania (1036), House of Lippe (1123), House of Mecklenburg (1131), House of Schwarzberg (1160), House of Wittelsbach (1180).. the oldest in western Europe is probably the House of Welf (which includes the Houses of Hanover and House of Este) which was founded somewhere during 800 AD.. Ancient German Noble Houses known as Uradels include House of Dohna (1143), House of Eltz (1157), House of Thun and Hohenstein (1187) and House of Putbus (1193)..

In France, the House of Capet was said to have been founded in 987 AD (their descendants includes the current House of Bourbon) and some French noble families such as the House of La Tour d'Auvergne (950 AD) and House of La Rochefoucauld (952 AD) while the House of Bethune (1000 AD), House of La Tremoille (1050 AD) and House of Rohan (1084) are also ancient.. The House of Grimaldi of Monaco is said to have ruled since 1160..

In England, the House of Percy is said to have been around since 1067 while the House of Spencer is said to have been descendants of the French House of Tancerville which were around since 920, though the most recent actual Spencer can be traced from 1330 while England's premiere Dukedom has been held by the House of Howard since 1484, who's most ancient title is the Earldom of Arundel which was founded in 1267.. England's most ancient title is the Baron de Ros which was created back in 1264.

In Italy, ancient families includes the House of Colonna (1099), House of Orsini (1110) and House of Doria-Pamphilj (1110).

In Spain, the oldest families are said to be those noble families created during the Iberian Crusades or Reconquista, starting with Pelagius in the Kingdom of Asturias in the early eighth century.. One such family is the House of Tagle, family of Empress Ana Maria of Mexico, who has said to be descended from King Pelayo himself back in 718, though the name was first recorded in 1237.. The family still celebrates this history in their coat of arms which includes the moto "Tagle se llamó el que la sierpre mató y con la Infanta casó"..

i think there are more though..