The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Norway: Genealogy and Relationships

How closely related is Haakon to Frederik and the Prince of Orange and dis daughters also how closely is Haakon related to H.R.H. Prince Christian?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
How closely related is Haakon to Frederik and the Prince of Orange and dis daughters also how closely is Haakon related to H.R.H. Prince Christian?
Frederik and Haakon are 3rd cousins once removed as both are direct descendants of the Danish King Christian IX. Baby Prince Christian and Haakon are 3rd cousins twice removed.

The Prince of Orange and Haakon are not directly related, they don't share past ancestors.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I've spent last night and some of today loading family trees into my geneological database, (a programme called Reunion), as I was trying to figure it all out on a piece of paper last night and just got confused.

So far I've got about 600 people in the database, and can say that Haakon and Frederik are related at least in three ways -

They are 3rd cousins with Frederik VIII of Denmark and Queen Louise as their common ancestors, they are 4th cousins with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert as their common ancestors and 3rd cousins once removed through Oscar II of Sweden and Sophie of Nassau. There's also a 4th, through Christian IX of Denmark being great great great grandfather of them - both of them through Frederik VIII as mentioned before, but for Haakon also through Christian's daughter Alexandra.

It's approx. the same with Haakon and Christian (the baby), only with "once removed" and "twice removed" instead.

As both Haakon and the Prince of Oranje is in line to the British throne (or rather, Willem-Alexander was until he married Maxima), they are related distantly that way. I'm a little bit curious on how Haakon's ancestor Queen Lovisa of Sweden, nee. princess of the Netherlands ties in to it all - if anyone could help.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
I'm a little bit curious on how Haakon's ancestor Queen Lovisa of Sweden, nee. princess of the Netherlands ties in to it all - if anyone could help.
This is indeed the closest family connection of the two. They both descend from King Willem I of The Netherlands and Queen Wilhelmina-Frederica, nee Pss of Prussia.

Willem-Alexander in the line: Willem I-Willem II-Willem III-Wilhelmina-Juliana-Beatrix-WA

Haakon in the line: Willem I- Prince Frederik of The Netherlands-Queen Louise of Sweden-Queen Louise of Denmark-Princess Ingeborg of Sweden- Crownprincess Martha of Norway-King Harald V-Haakon.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Nobility

Are they friends? Or close in that way?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess when they choose to spend time together in private and not related to royal duties they are somewhat close
In Norway the summer of 2004 (actionpress)
In Netherlands summer 2005 (smulders)
Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
This is indeed the closest family connection of the two. They both descend from King Willem I of The Netherlands and Queen Wilhelmina-Frederica, nee Pss of Prussia.

Willem-Alexander in the line: Willem I-Willem II-Willem III-Wilhelmina-Juliana-Beatrix-WA

Haakon in the line: Willem I- Prince Frederik of The Netherlands-Queen Louise of Sweden-Queen Louise of Denmark-Princess Ingeborg of Sweden- Crownprincess Martha of Norway-King Harald V-Haakon.
There is a closer connection:
Duke Wilhelm of Nassau -> Sophie -> Carl -> Märtha -> Harald V -> Haakon
Duke Wilhelm of Nassau -> Helene -> Emma -> Wilhelmina -> Juliana -> Beatrix - WA.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I stand corrected :)
Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Royal Highness

I almost jumped off my seat, the first and second thumbnails on post 63 gave me in the impression it was Queen Elizabeth of Britain coming from a trip in Boca Raton, Florida! (those in the USA will get the joke, Florida is a state preferred for retirement by aging persons and some do dress in vibrant colors like that)

So, who is the lady? Is she related to the Windsors?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

You're talking about Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner. She, along with her sister, Princess Ragnhild Mrs. Lorentzen and their brother, King Harald, are second cousins of Queen Elizabeth.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
You're talking about Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner. She, along with her sister, Princess Ragnhild Mrs. Lorentzen and their brother, King Harald, are second cousins of Queen Elizabeth.
I don't have the genealogical tree so I asume all of them descend from Queen Mary? Queen Mary's features are the most recognizable facial features in royalty.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
I don't have the genealogical tree so I asume all of them descend from Queen Mary? Queen Mary's features are the most recognizable facial features in royalty.
No, they descend from Queen Alexandra / King Edward VII. Elizabeth's grandfather, George, and Astrid's grandmother, Maud, were brother and sister.

However, Queen Mary is also a distant relative, as her mother was a Princess of Great Britain.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo

Harald's father and grandfather are also descendants of Louise of Netherlands. Ingeborg of Denmark was Haakon VIII:s sister, so Ingeborg's daughter Märta of Sweden and Haakon's son Olav V got married even though they were first cousins. But Olav's parents Haakon VIII and Maud of Wales were first cousins too, and Märta's parents duke Carl and duchess Ingeborg were first cousins once removed.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Relationships between:
Haakon - WillemAlexander http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...=0&color=&et=M

Haakon - Frederik http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...olor=;i=229587

Frederik - WillemAlexander http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...olor=;i=229587
Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Serene Highness

I know that at somepoint sweden and norway were under one ruler but was split so the norwegian royal family and swedish royal family are related through that plus christian ix and queen victoria which equals danish as well (maud and haakon).
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator

The King of Sweden was also the King of Norway until Norwegian independence in 1905.
Prince Carl of Denmark was offered the Norwegian throne and became modern Norway's first King as Haakon VII.
His only son, later King Olav V, married Princess Märtha of Sweden, granddaughter of the last King of Sweden and Norway, Oscar II.