The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 AM

Help with finding information on Victor Emmanuel II of Italy

This is my first post here, so hopefully someone can help me out. I'm working on a project to find out if a family story is true, so any help here will be great.

To start, I'm looking for any information on the family tree of Victor Emmanuel the second. According to my family lore, I'm some how related. The story goes that my great grand mother was born in Italy under the name " Lina Scardovi" in 1891. It was near the town of Lucca, and her father apparently owned part of a railroad network. She came to the USA to visit family (her uncle and aunt as I'm told) who is said to be well known singers by the last name of "Romboli". While in America she met my great grandfather and fell in love. She wrote home telling family she was staying in the USA due to being asked to marry my great grandfather. The rest of the family life story goes from there really. My grandfather says she (Lina) was a cousin of the king, making me have some percentage of royal blood.

What I've found out so far is that Lina was in fact from Italy(I actually found a photo of her grave on the internet, that's pretty ninja). there was a singer named "Gaetano Romboli" who was a baritone as my grandfather said Lina's uncle was. At this point I'm having a very hard time tracking down any vital records, mostly because my Italian is awful and I have no idea how italy stores that kind of information. My best guess is to find the most intact family tree I can and work from there. I'm honestly a medical student, not a historian...so I need some help. If anyone could give even a small shred of help I'd be very thankful.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Welcome to the forum, any relationship between Don Vittorio Emanuele and a Ms Scardovi with possible offspring can only have been a pre- or extra-marital relationship. Don Vittorio Emanuele was a lover of the females and had numerous children out of wedlock, by various maîtresses in various parts of Italy. In general it is assumed that these offspring were given the surname ‘Guerriero’ or ‘Guerrieri’, with an official registration . So that they were able to receive an apanage or a pension.

When your great-grandmother Lina was born in 1891, she can not have been a daughter of Don Vittorio Emanuele, since he died 13 years earlier... :)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 AM

Interesting. This is the first real time anyone in my family is trying to track down the truth of the story. I have no real idea if it's true or not, so forgive me if it sounds crazy. Where would you suggest I look for more information? All the major websites to any family tree information are not working. I'm honestly thinking "lina" is some kind of Americanized form of another name, but again I'm awful at Italian so have no idea.

edit: With some help, I found out Lina's biological parents are Alfredo Scardovi and Ida Nutini. Not sure if it's worth any help here, But it's what I have for now. Sadly it seems that the 1800's are a crap shoot for records, oh well....more research.