Haemophilia In European Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the clarification. The original discussion was focused on whether or not haemophilia was still an issue among Queen Victoria's descendants. Based on the information you provided it appears it isn't but could resurface in the future.

If I remember correctly, there are no known recent cases in European royalty, so it’s essentially died out - and really, while it was very widespread in the generation of Victoria’s grandchildren, I don’t think it lasted past her great-grandchildren.

In terms of the current European royal families, other than Sibilla, none are strictly female-line descendants of Victoria, so it’s safe to say that the illness has been eradicated (at least in terms of being descended from Victoria and possibly getting it); any new instances of the illness in a Royal Family would most likely be because of some other ancestry, not Victoria. But that’s going from memory - it’s been awhile since I looked at the lines.

In thess days haemophilia is a fairly well-to-treat genetic disorder. It absolutely no longer has the serious impact it once had. I think it is no any issue anymore. Especially not since royals seldom marry other royals these days.

Good point. I recall reading somewhere that because more male haemophiliacs now survive to adulthood and live to father daughters, the number of female haemophiliacs is now higher than in the past.

Treatment is self injection with clotting factors - so I would imagine a bit the treatments issues for type 1 Diabetes.

Interestingly, with the number of people I know on blood thinners and anti coagulants, we certainly create more blood clotting concerns than the disease hemophilia does.

Speaking of the genetic devil is it really much of an issue for the members of the current remaining reigning royal families in Europe? I mean you don't hear about QEII going to the hospital for treatment and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have gotten into the military, like many royals today, if you had that dreaded blood condition.

-Frozen Royalist

Ish addressed this in post #181. No, there aren't any known cases of haemophilia in the current reigning royal families.

Back
Top Bottom