Haemophilia In European Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably been around since the beginning of time hemophilia. Centuries ago things happened to people that medical science didn't understand. I don't know the answer to the second question.

Men who have a milder form of hemophilia bruise very easily and the bruises are very noticeable. Sometimes when they are children because they bruise so easily, people think that they are being abused by their parents and parents have been falsely accused of child abuse.

I learn this when I was at the hospital with my mother who was getting her blood drawn for testing. I saw a man who was in the waiting room and had very noticeable bruising on his right arm. I thought he'd either taken a bad tumble or been in an accident but he told someone he had a mild case of hemophila and the drawing of his blood for a blood test had caused the bruising. His blood usually clotted (so he didn't have to take blood clotting agents on a regular basis) but he bled more than your average person and had to be careful when playing sports or doing other activities.

It also appeared in the Hohenzollern family when Princess Irene of Hesse married Prince Henry of Prussia.

Last edited:
Ya that is how it entered the russian imperial family. There daughter Alexandra transported it when she married Nicholas II. Did any brothers or sisters of Alexandra either get hemophilia or carry it to a different royal family?

Ya that is how it entered the russian imperial family. There daughter Alexandra transported it when she married Nicholas II. Did any brothers or sisters of Alexandra either get hemophilia or carry it to a different royal family?
Princess Irene of Hesse, who married Prince Henry of Prussia, was the sister of Empress Alexandra. She also carried the gene and passed it along to one of her sons.

It is terrible that Victoria had to be the one who started the line of hemophilia in the royals. She is one of the few royals who would marry off all her children into other royal families which would end many dynasty's. My question is if a male monarch with hemophilia has a son will that mean the son will have it to.

A boy can't inherit hemophilia from his father, as it's a X chromosome thing. He can only inherit it from his mother. Girls can inherit it from either parent though.

A hemophiliac man will have all carrier daughters with healthy sons. UNLESS he also marries a carrier. Then their daughters COULD be rare female hemophiliacs, who until recent medical advances would probably have died at puberty due to blood loss. Sons would still have only a 50/50 chance of being affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no evidence that Queen Victoria's father was a hemophiliac, is there?

No.

There is no evidence of haemophilia in the Hannoverian family before Victoria gave birth to Leopold.

At the moment are there any European royal family members who have the disease? If not who was the last to have the disease, what country and when they were born and died.

I dont believe any living member is known to suffer from the disease but it had previously been seen in the royal houses of UK, Spain, Russia, Prussia and Hesse.

A little boy descended from the Spanish family died of a "blood problem" in the mid 1970s, but the family denied that it was haemophilia. He's probably the last occurance.

At the moment are there any European royal family members who have the disease? If not who was the last to have the disease, what country and when they were born and died.
This is a quote from Haemophilia in European royalty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"At least one modern descendant of Queen Victoria has been diagnosed with haemophilia: Ferdinand Soltmann, the son of Princess Xenia of Hohenlohe-Langenberg, born 2005. Xenia is a male-line descendant of Victoria, but the disease did not come from Xenia's maternal family, the Croÿs. If the disease came from Xenia, there are two possibilities. The first possibility is that it would have had to be inherited from her father, Kraft, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenberg, a descendant of Victoria through the female line. Kraft had some clotting issues, which led the family to believe he may have been a mild haemophiliac.[6] If Kraft was a haemophiliac, then his daughters Xenia and Cécile were definitely carriers. The second possibility is that Xenia or Ferdinand had a spontaneous mutation, as Victoria herself apparently had."

This shows that it is possible that Ferdinand's haemophilia comes from Victoria but it is not proven. It can also be a spontaneous mutation, so we don't know for sure.
See the wiki article for a line of descent from Victoria to Ferdinand.

Viscount Trematon, Princess Alice of Albany's son, died in 1928 of a brain hemorrhage similar to the one that killed his grandfather, Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany.

with haemophillia could I be distantly related to royals?

I have a lifelong inherited condition called haemophillia - mine is the rarer strain known as haemophillia B (sometimes called Christmas Disease). I am told annecdotally that this is the same strain of haemophillia that existed in the Russian (Romanov) and British Royal families (Victoria). I am wondering if genetic testing would be likely to establish any direct/indirect links to the families. The genealogy on my mothers side is fairly vague as she knew little about her father who apparently deserted the family when she was 10 years old. Neither my mother, nor any of her relatives are still living and so far any hard information stops at her birth certificate.

I am not interested in notions of accession etc but to know if I have royal blood in my veins. It is not clear to me whether a DNA test would reveal this but I read somewhere that genetic testing had been carried out to verify the remains of the Romanov family

You would do well by contacting a professional genealogist to help you get past your most recent ancestors. Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive.

As to DNA testing for specific relations, I don't know what the process is for finding out if you are related to royalty of any kind. You would have to know which bloodline to trace. Professionals can help with this, also.

Queen Victoria was the first carrier of the conditionin in royal families. Her granddaughter brought haemophilia gene into The Romanov family.
Sorry, but all Queen Victoria's descendants are well known, most of them are in the line of succession to British throne.

IIRC in the case of looking to match the remains of the Romanovs they tested Prince Phillip's blood or rather used his blood as part of the verification process.

LaRae

IIRC in the case of looking to match the remains of the Romanovs they tested Prince Phillip's blood or rather used his blood as part of the verification process.

LaRae
The testing was done on the mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from mother to child, so the testing was to match prince Philip to the Romanov children, who were maternal cousins to his mother. To test tsar Nicholai's remains they would have to use mitochondrial DNA from someone related through female lineage to his mother Maria Feodorovna, née princess Dagmar of Denmark.

Queen Victoria was the first carrier of the conditionin in royal families. Her granddaughter brought haemophilia gene into The Romanov family.
Sorry, but all Queen Victoria's descendants are well known, most of them are in the line of succession to British throne.

All her legitimate descendants are well known but what about illegitimate lines???

It is well known that hemophilia is passed on through women who are carriers of the gene, but don't suffer from the condition themselves. So it is impossible that gbswales inherited the condition through is unknown father. Nor is it likely that any female descendent of Queen Victoria managed to give birth to an illegitimate child and keep that a secret.

It is well known that hemophilia is passed on through women who are carriers of the gene, but don't suffer from the condition themselves. So it is impossible that gbswales inherited the condition through is unknown father. Nor is it likely that any female descendent of Queen Victoria managed to give birth to an illegitimate child and keep that a secret.

Not quite. A haemophiliac father would pass the gene on to all of his daughters all would be carriers of he gene.. So if, for instance, Prince Leopold, QVs youngest son had an illegitimate daughter she could have passed it on to her children. I think all QV descendants, legitimate or not are well known and so I doubt that there are any secret lines of descent carrying the gene.

Very interesting... does anyone know if the person that this type of Haemophilia was named after was related to Q.Victoria?
I checked the wiki-page Stephen Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but on that it didn't mention a relationship (now ofcourse that doesn't mean that there wasn't one, but maybe it's a coincidence that he had the same variation as the royals?)

Not all illegitimate children are actually acknowledged so it is possible that Leopold had an illegitimate daughter that wasn't acknowledged.

Not all illegitimate children are actually acknowledged so it is possible that Leopold had an illegitimate daughter that wasn't acknowledged.

True, but from what I have read of Leopold, I don't think it likely.

Especially with all the historians and biographies out there...that's a pretty notable family they probably don't have too many secrets we don't already know about.

LaRae

First cousin. The same as Bea, Eugenie, Zara & Louise. So yeah that would be gross.

Gross, maybe, but totally legal. Remember, Queen Victoria married her first cousin and had lots of children with him.

And brought haemophilia into the family though I don´t exactly know whether this illness is a result of inbreeding. I believe that marrying your first cousin nowadays is considered strange and "annatural" even it might be allowed in some countries. Therefore I don´t think Harry will ever marry one of his first cousins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom