The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM

I've found a more complete source for her ancestry: Ancestry of Maria Teresa Mestre, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Her Amerindian ancestor and ancestress were both from the 16th century, as was the Amerindian ancestor of Queen Silvia of Sweden: Ancestry of Queen Silvia of Sweden (b. 1943).

Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

As I have mentioned in past posts, Maria Teresa's mother's family is quite distinguished and aristocratic. I am particularly interested in Maria Teresa's Irish ancestors and since the the last time that I posted on MT's family, I have uncovered some additional information about them. Richard O'Farrill O'Daly was one of the founders of Maria Teresa's maternal dynasty [The Montalvo-O'Farrill's]. He was an Irish sea captain and was known in Cuba by the Spanish version of his name "Ricardo." The O'Farrill's were Irish Catholics who settled in by the British Crown in 1713, (Utrecht Treaty), as Agents for the black slaves brought to work in the sugar fields from Africa to Cuba.

Don Ricardo O'Farill and O'Daly, whose family originally came from County Longford in Ireland, was a wealthy merchant who made his fortune from the lucrative slave trade. He was also the owner of several sugar mills. Don Ricardo arrived in Havana in the early 18th century and is the founder of the O’Farrill family in Cuba, which subsequently went on to gain a reputation for its notable performance in administration, commerce and in the country’s cultural development. They were further distinguished by a plethora of titles of the nobility.

As time went by, the O'Farrills became involved in different aspects of Cuban society: Nicolas Calvo de la Puerta y O’Farrill, a distinguished academic and Doctor of Theology at the Pontifical University of San Jeronimo, who introduced improvements in sugar cane production and promoted the Sociedad Patriotica (Patriotic Club) in collaboration with Baron Alexander Von Humboldt. Juan Montalvo y O’Farrill owned the first steamship used in Cuba. Jose Ricardo and Rafael O’Farrill and Herrera were listed among the 18 most influential and richest people in Havana under the rule of Spanish Governor Miguel Tacon. Others played important roles in the army, commerce and music, and in various government offices.
Two splendid mansions in Old Havana perpetuate the memory of the O'Farrill Family. One, on the corner of Habana and Chacon streets, was acquired by the Church and up until recently was the site of the Archbishop of Havana’s office. The other, on the corner of Cuba and Chacon streets, built in the first half of the 19th century by Jose Ricardo O’Farrill y O’Farrill, Don Ricardo’s great grandson, underwent some architectural changes in the 20th century, resulting in the building as it stands today.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Mt' has black blood from both parents and no aristocracy

Maria teresa is not related to fulgencio batista. It is a completely different batista. Her mother's family was quite wealthy: The wealth coming from her great grandfather laureano falla who came to cuba at the age of 14 and made a fortune. Mt's father was a no one: Modest family with no formal education who married money. She has black blood from both her father and mother: On her father's side the Mestre branch had a black ancestor and like all blacks who came to cuba was not even documented in the white book. Her maternal great grandmother was half black(if in doubt ask her to show a picture). As a matter of fact age always shows race and as she has become older and heavier it shows in her features as they are not very refined, more so a country like Cuba that had extraordinarily white women of enormous beauty. Even in Cuba she would have been considered ordinary and a bit mulatto.

There is absolutely nothing aristocratic in her background. At the time of Maria Teresa's wedding her mother paid to have her ancestry documented and the writer Enrique Gonzalez de Mendoza-expert in the matter and supposedly related-explained to her that it was wiser to stop the search as there was an ancestor not far behind who was not white. Needless to say that they parted ways.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Ancestry of Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Dear Yanne:

This is in response to your previous entry.
What Rayarena has posted so far is entirely correct. The GD does indeed have a well documented descent from aristocratic and noble families from Cuba. On the other hand I do have some comments and questions regarding what you have written.

You said that MT’s father was a no one. You are mistaken, his family in 1950 built CMQ, Cuba's first TV station. It was Latin America's third TV station and they were wealthy in their own right.
It is correct that the Falla's were a newer family to Cuba, just like the robber baron families in the late XIX and early XX centuries in the US, who also came from very humble backgrounds. Her uncle Eutimio Falla was worth over 60 million in Cuban properties and about 45 million in foreign investments. He was know to be a very well known philantropist and his wealth at the time of his death was among the largest anywhere in the US or in Europe when the dollar was worth a lot more than now.

Next you said: She has black blood from both her father and mother: On her father's side the Mestre branch had a black ancestor and like all blacks who came to Cuba was not even documented in the white book. This makes me ask you where is your documented proof?
You know very well that there were two sets of Sacramental books kept: one for Blancos (100% caucasians) and another for Pardos y Morenos (non caucasians) who included indians, blacks and any other racial mixture who would not be recorded in the Blancos book. No white person was ever listed in any other book just like you will never find anybody who was not white listed in the Blancos book and it is not true that blacks can not be documented, all their data is kept on the Pardos and Morenos books and can be obtained. On any copy requested today for any sacramental record it is clearly written from what book, folio and entry the record can be found.

Next you claim Her maternal great grandmother was half black (if in doubt ask her to show a picture) I want to ask you several things: Has GD María Teresa shown you this picture herself as you imply? or do you have a copy of this picture that you can share and post here ? and if indeed her maternal great grandmother was half black as you seem to know: what was her name? and in what book is her baptismal record listed? Innuendo is not valid in genealogy what only matters is the documentary evidence you can provide.

Let us continue with your next statement: As a matter of fact age always shows race and as she has become older and heavier it shows in her features as they are not very refined, this remark recalls similar detrimental comments posted about the Crown Princess of Sweden, are you implying that she also has a dubious background, derived from her mother HM Sylvia, Queen consort of Sweden?

Then you proceeded with: Even in Cuba she would have been considered ordinary and a bit mulatto. This brings me to very important questions. From this comment as well as others you have made you must be either a Cuban yourself or a descendant of the well documented Cuban founding families, is this correct? and if not what then is your background? Yanne is not a Spanish name after all, although perhaps it might be a distortion of Janet, which is an English name.

You claim that: There is absolutely nothing aristocratic in her background. This is a complete falsehood on your part because if you are Cuban as I believe you are, you could not have made this gross mistake. Again it comes to mind: what documented proof do you have to the contrary?

Then you went on with: At the time of Maria Teresa's wedding her mother paid to have her ancestry documented and the writer Enrique Gonzalez de Mendoza-expert in the matter and supposedly related-. Now you are getting in an area I can enlighten you quite well. The person you quote here is Enrique Hurtado, not Gonzalez de Mendoza, who is still alive and who would be quite happy to set you straight himself. Besides, there are far too many people who are experts in Cuban genealogy in the US and in Europe who would not have tolerated nor allowed any fraud or wasted any time to show it clearly with documented proof.

It is a complete falsehood as well that Enrique explained to her that it was wiser to stop the search as there was an ancestor not far behind who was not white. I have to ask you as well where you there when this was said? I know for a fact that you were not there because as I recall the incident it had nothing to do with what you imply, it was about giving up his author’s copyright on the research which he was not willing to do and therefore the information was never published in a book format.

So I hope that you take the time to answer these questions on what you wrote for the benefit of the rest of the readers of the Forum and ask you to please back up these statements with documented proof not hearsay.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Dear Yanne:
As Rayerana has already posted the GD’s maternal descent from the Montalvo family, here is her descent from her paternal side, the very man you claim is a nobody.

1.- Lorenzo Montalvo Ruiz de Alarcón y Montalvo, 1st Count of Macuriges Married twice:
=1= Mariana Bruñón de Vértiz y Arancibia

2-José Rafael Montalvo y Bruñón de Vertiz, 2nd Count of Macuriges
= Ana Josefa Sotolongo y González-Carvajal

3-María del Rosario Montalvo y Sotolongo
= Juan Esteban de Xénes Spínola y Arancibia

4.- María del Tránsito de Xénes y Montalvo
= Agustín Cerice y Marcanalt

5.- Agustín Cerice y Xénes
= María Gertrudis Lima, descendant of the Marqueses of Santa Olalla

6.- Águeda Cerice y Lima
=Lucas Álvarez y Guillén.

7.-Lucas Álvarez y Cerice
= Narcisa Tabío y de la Lanza

8.- Mª Narcisa Álvarez y Tabío
= José Antonio Mestre y Ramos-Almeyda

9.- José Antonio Mestre y Álvarez
= Mª Teresa Batista y Falla

10.- Mª Teresa Mestre y Batista
=HRH Henri GD Luxembourg.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Aristocracy

So we now measure nobility and standing by money? Always thought that was in the realm of cafe society to apply such criteria.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Seriously?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanne View Post
Maria teresa is not related to fulgencio batista. It is a completely different batista. Her mother's family was quite wealthy: The wealth coming from her great grandfather laureano falla who came to cuba at the age of 14 and made a fortune. Mt's father was a no one: Modest family with no formal education who married money. She has black blood from both her father and mother: On her father's side the Mestre branch had a black ancestor and like all blacks who came to cuba was not even documented in the white book. Her maternal great grandmother was half black(if in doubt ask her to show a picture). As a matter of fact age always shows race and as she has become older and heavier it shows in her features as they are not very refined, more so a country like Cuba that had extraordinarily white women of enormous beauty. Even in Cuba she would have been considered ordinary and a bit mulatto.

There is absolutely nothing aristocratic in her background. At the time of Maria Teresa's wedding her mother paid to have her ancestry documented and the writer Enrique Gonzalez de Mendoza-expert in the matter and supposedly related-explained to her that it was wiser to stop the search as there was an ancestor not far behind who was not white. Needless to say that they parted ways.
I am in shock that anyone would find this kind of conjecture appropriate to write here. It is well documented that Maria Teresa's family has extensive connections to the Spanish-Cuban aristocracy, although not technically belonging to any noble class themselves. Other than supposed comments made by a new mother-in-law, I have no idea how Afro-Cuban ancestry is relevant. Also, I find your argument that she is a "nobody" BECAUSE of this supposed African ancestry incredibly offensive. Keep antiquated and ignorant racial views to yourself, please.

In addition, I will point out that a majority of noble families in Latin America can either prove or claim ancestry from indigenous Amerindian families, which is used as a mark of nobility and length of heritage.

Even during colonial times, mixed racial heritage of all kinds never exclusively meant a lower class background.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well,is this true that she has an African ancestor?Anyway,that's very interesting and I think Maria Theresa is a very interesting woman
Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM

To BurberryBrit: Excuse me?!

BurberryBrit, I find your comment that Cubans have African blood to be offensive, as well as demonstrative of ignorance of other nationalities and cultures. I find it offensive not because there is anything inherently "wrong" or "less valuable" about being black, but because of the negative connotation associated with it in society. Were I black, I would be proud to be so and to represent the great continent and peoples of Africa, after all, according to scientists, we did all commence our human existence in Africa.

Having said that, I shall continue with my main purpose in this thread, which is to express that you are in need of elucidation on various points. Cubans are no more African than the Southerners in the U.S. As with many European colonies in the New World, Cuba operated on a slave economy, meaning that the economy depended upon slave labor, just as the Southern U.S.A. did; however, there was one very important distinction: we did not lynch black persons and we did not murder black children on their way to school or at church; furthermore, although the rule was "separate but equal," racial tensions were nowhere near as prevalent as in the U.S.A., and being gracious and polite to black compatriots was expected.

In addition, Maria Teresa and I share several common ancestors; none of them was black. They were, however, related to various Spanish nobles and others were of the Spanish nobility themselves; of those, quite a few trace their ancestry to a long string of European monarchs from many European countries, including Spain, France, Italy, England, the Scandinavian countries, etc. One of her Calvo de la Puerta ancestors was related to Sebastian Calvo de la Puerta y O'Farrill, the Marques de Casa Calvo (which translates into English as Marquis of Casa Calvo), who was also the governor of the State of Louisiana (U.S.A.), commencing in 1799.

If Maria Teresa has black ancestry, that would be very surprising, as several of her ancestors owned slaves in Cuba, not the other way around - although descending from a family that owned slaves is nothing about which any person should be proud.

Suffice it to say that Cubans represent all the races that exist on the planet. The large population of African Cubans is due to the large number of slaves that were brought into the country as labor, as well as the "white flight" to the U.S.A. and other countries that took place after Castro seized power.

In closing, let's not confuse the different categories and group affiliations that apply to every person on the planet: nationality, culture and race. Cuban is a nationality, Hispanic is a culture, Caucasian (white) is a race.

And with that - I bid you good night.

-----------
BurberryBrit;736054]Wow, is that really true? If so, sad. But I know, different times. I wouldn't be surprised if she had some African blood being Cuban, but she could "pass" so it's too bad they couldn't attend the wedding because of something that you can't even see.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM

To Josjul: well said!

Josjul, I read your below entry with appreciation of its well-written discourse on the subject, as well as your attempt therein to dispense with Yanne's innuendo, which in my view, drips with envy as thick as molasses toward Maria Teresa.

You are correct that the Fallas were very wealthy and influential. I remember hearing them mentioned on occasion by several family friends and also by my great-aunt who told me that my maternal grandmother (her sister) was engaged to one of them back in the 1920s, although they did not marry. That particular Falla went on a trip to Spain, met some other woman and married her instead, taking her back to Cuba, then when she turned out to be not who he thought she was, he tried to get back together with my grandmother - who gave him a resounding "No." :)

--------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjul View Post
Ancestry of Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
Dear Yanne:
This is in response to your previous entry.
What Rayarena has posted so far is entirely correct. The GD does indeed have a well documented descent from aristocratic and noble families from Cuba...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maria Teresa is a lovely , astute woman, who has fulfilled her position with dignity and grace. I, really, don't care who her ancestors were. In today's day and age., this kind of racism is repugnant and foolish, at best.