The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

General Royal Genealogical questions

A thread for general questions relating to Royal genealogy which don't fit in any of the Royal Genealogy Forum topic-specific
or House-related threads.

o o o

Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Gentry

Thank you for creating this thread, Warren,

I am researching royal and aristocratic deaths in January 1968 and February 1968. I am looking for names (even lesser-known) and date of death. I'll do the follow-up research in libraries and online, but at this point I'm just trying to compile names.

Can anyone help?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Nobility

Help from Londoners wanted

I belong to a newsgroup on Genealogy and a friend there is researching the family on the Countess of Rio Novo, Mariana Claudina Pereira de Carvalho. She was the founder of the city Três Rios in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil and died in London on June 5th 1882, after going through a surgery. Her remains were later transferred to Brazil in 1885.
My friend has written to The Guardian to see if they have anything on her (obituary). If anybody subscribes The Times, it would be a great help if he/she could research for any info on the Countess.
Any suggestions of hospitals in London at that time where rich people could have gone through a surgery, undertakers, cemeteries, other newspapers, would be also welcome.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Nobility

In 1882 a lot of surgerys for the rich where performed in privat practice, even at home - and not in hospitals.

Hospitals were for the poor
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceS View Post
Thank you for creating this thread, Warren,

I am researching royal and aristocratic deaths in January 1968 and February 1968. I am looking for names (even lesser-known) and date of death. I'll do the follow-up research in libraries and online, but at this point I'm just trying to compile names.

Can anyone help?
The Times used to publish books of notable obituaries. Your library may be able to find one covering the 1960s period for you.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
I belong to a newsgroup on Genealogy and a friend there is researching the family on the Countess of Rio Novo, Mariana Claudina Pereira de Carvalho. She was the founder of the city Três Rios in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil and died in London on June 5th 1882, after going through a surgery. Her remains were later transferred to Brazil in 1885.
My friend has written to The Guardian to see if they have anything on her (obituary). If anybody subscribes The Times, it would be a great help if he/she could research for any info on the Countess.
Any suggestions of hospitals in London at that time where rich people could have gone through a surgery, undertakers, cemeteries, other newspapers, would be also welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
In 1882 a lot of surgerys for the rich where performed in privat practice, even at home - and not in hospitals.

Hospitals were for the poor
Now it came to my mind that info about the most likely hotels the countess might have stayed at could also be a great help.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know if this is the right thread to put it in but I just wanted to share exiting information I received today.

It started that we found my father's German ancestry proof (Ahnenpass) from the Nazi-times. There direct descent till the great-grandparents was established. The data I found on my great-great-grandmother led me to a ancient noble family from France, whose Austrian descendant my ancestress possibly was. I started looking for proof of this thesis.

And today I was sent by a distant relative I had unearthed an official document from the inheritance of a common relative, who, like my ancestress, was paternally descended from said family and maternally from the family I got the information from.

In it an official from the former Imperial and Royal Home Office (k.u.k. Ministerium des Inneren) declared that checks into the lineage and nobility of our common ancestor found proof of the membership of said ancient noble family and permission to carry the name and title of said family for the newly immigrated family in Austria.

I had already known through family hearsay that our ancestor had been forced to leave France because of his favorism of the Ancient Regime in the 1800s. But now I have the proof of this and of a family connection, which established my own direct-line descent from Charlesmagne and William the Conqueror!

Well, it is a sad thing really to see on which level of society we landed after my ancestors really had it big - I have no claim to nobility or riches whatsoever, but then I am more noble than Catherine Middleton! And I'm content and happy alone to know that some people I was always interested in were actually my own ancestors..

Just wanted to share that information with you - great discovery for me.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

Kataryn, I have admired your knowledge on TRF, and particularly am grateful for your posting of the material from the Hunter and McAlpine book on royal porphyria. I am glad you found this noble connection. I can't find my noble "stream" down to me, although I must have had one in medieval Scotland, from the history of my family way back then, and the common ailment I have with the Stuarts. I am afraid I don't even know how to look, and it isn't as important to me as it is to you...I have too many current challenges to look. But the McAlpine-Hunter material I had only heard about and was able to read word for word, thanks to you.

My Pollocks were supposedly related to the predecessor of Charlemagne, the Merovingian Clovis. That's what their website says, but I don't know how they think this is true. There are some errors on their site which I know to be errors because of my further research...a historian in Scotland told me that the woman named Mauricle, first Lady of Rothes, was actually a Muriel, which is known from her signature in Latin on donation documents to medieval priories. The Pollocks gave a lot to Paisley and Melrose abbeys, and this is the best source of documentation of their time period, place, etc. But Muriel didn't live in Renfrewshire, she lived in far North Scotland in the Castle of Rothes built by her "Norman castle builder" father, Peter de Pollock (my "uncle"). Muriel built a church and a hospital in Rothes, and her daughter Eva was the second Lady of Rothes. Eva's daughter is not named as she married Sir Norman de Leslyn and disappeared into the great mass of wombs.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Non-royals forced to change last name

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this is the right place to post this.

Was it ever common or even heard of for people to have to change their last name because it was the same as the royal family of that country? Story goes that one of my ancestors was forced to change their last name because it was the same as the royal family, even though they left the country when they were a child (supposedly). Does that sound like something that could have happened ? There's no proof as to what his last name would have been before then, or anything that shows he actually had to change it. There's no birth certificate.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

I can only imagine something like this happening in countries where Royality is treated close to deities - like Thailand or Japan. But not in a European country. A lot of the Royal families don't even have surnames and the others have no problem to share them - eg there are many people called Windsor who are not related to the BRF. Or Bernadottes in France.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Gentry

this seems to have been a common practice in china
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Hm... so in the Prussia/Belarus/Scandinavia/Germany/northern Europe areas, they would definitely not have had to change it?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya04 View Post
Hm... so in the Prussia/Belarus/Scandinavia/Germany/northern Europe areas, they would definitely not have had to change it?
Cannot think of a single case in Europe where a non related commoner family had to change their names because a family with the same name became rulers of the nation.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Genealogy expert for Europe region needed

Dear Sir/Madam,

Could you recommend most precise service for blood test with competent DNA database as it possible to get , regarding Royal blood for documentation in court processes for heritage and status ?

Regards Edgar