The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Hallsteinn's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Unknown, Sweden
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Link to blue eye gene common ancestor: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0130170343.htm
I am fully aware of all of this. First of all, 10.000 years isn't even close to 14 generations, and it's still around the European region. But we don't have to argue forever about this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsteinn View Post
First of all, 10.000 years isn't even close to 14 generations, and it's still around the European region.
You are right, maybe to add a little perspective for people who don't interest themselves in genealogy and stuff: in my family tree, 14 generations bring me back to about the mid to late 16th century (and in my case, several of them living in the same area where i was born, give or take ca. 50 km)

__________________

__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Hallsteinn's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Unknown, Sweden
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
You are right, maybe to add a little perspective for people who don't interest themselves in genealogy and stuff: in my family tree, 14 generations bring me back to about the mid to late 16th century (and in my case, several of them living in the same area where i was born, give or take ca. 50 km)

Exactly :) How far back have you been able to trace your family? Have you found ancestors outside of the Netherlands, if so, where and when?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
I find this conversation and the information on genetics fascinating to read.

Of course, being adopted, my family tree begins with me and if someone shakes it and nuts fall out, its all my doing. If I had the money to spare though, I'd love to have my DNA tested just because I can.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsteinn View Post
I am fully aware of all of this. First of all, 10.000 years isn't even close to 14 generations, and it's still around the European region. But we don't have to argue forever about this.


http://www.geni.com/discussions/1042...00007278581048 This can explain the concept better than I can
Not arguing - just information that may be helpful to you to understand - you must have missed this link and thought I would bring it to your attention :)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-31-2015, 03:29 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I find this conversation and the information on genetics fascinating to read.

Of course, being adopted, my family tree begins with me and if someone shakes it and nuts fall out, its all my doing. If I had the money to spare though, I'd love to have my DNA tested just because I can.
Ancestry.com offers this service. Its not expensive either. You might research the accuracies of the results 1st though.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Ancestry.com offers this service. Its not expensive either. You might research the accuracies of the results 1st though.
I pretty much live in the perpetual state of not having a down payment on a free lunch these days. There'd be no way to research the accuracy of the results as I really have absolutely nothing to go by. I just sounds like something interesting to do and know.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Hallsteinn's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Unknown, Sweden
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I pretty much live in the perpetual state of not having a down payment on a free lunch these days. There'd be no way to research the accuracy of the results as I really have absolutely nothing to go by. I just sounds like something interesting to do and know.
I know a lot of genetics and these companies, and I just need to tell you that you need to learn how to interpret the results you get. AncestryDNA and 23andme (the biggest companies) give you basically the same results, but they label it under different populations, so it looks different. For example, if you're from the Balkans, AncestryDNA says you're a mix of South Europeans and East Europeans (which is true), while 23andme simply gives you a reference group which is called the Balkans. That means that the Balkans group is constructed by both E Euro and S Euro. I'm in a hurry and this sounds very messy, but my point is, that you can't just accept the results you get as absolute truth, you need to some calculations in order to pin point your ancestry.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsteinn View Post
I know a lot of genetics and these companies, and I just need to tell you that you need to learn how to interpret the results you get. AncestryDNA and 23andme (the biggest companies) give you basically the same results, but they label it under different populations, so it looks different. For example, if you're from the Balkans, AncestryDNA says you're a mix of South Europeans and East Europeans (which is true), while 23andme simply gives you a reference group which is called the Balkans. That means that the Balkans group is constructed by both E Euro and S Euro. I'm in a hurry and this sounds very messy, but my point is, that you can't just accept the results you get as absolute truth, you need to some calculations in order to pin point your ancestry.
Thank you so much for your explanation. Its all so very interesting especially when you get into royal families that have lineages going back centuries and centuries.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Hallsteinn's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Unknown, Sweden
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think your wording is not correct. You are not related to Queen Elizabeth II. You share a common ancestor. That is not the same.

The children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II are related to her but share a common ancestor with you. I hope this has made the difference clear.
That's the same thing. They are related to one another, just extremely, extremely, extremely distantly.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
Maybe the best test to find out if you are related to someone or just have a common ancestor would be the test of asking "family" for a loan of a dollar. If they know you and like you and give you the dollar, you're related. If they wonder who the heck you are and back off scowling, you have a common ancestor somewhere.


(ducks and runs for cover)
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Martinsburg, United States
Posts: 196


So very well said and right now, money always talks among family and very loudly......
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family paulette Royal House of Denmark 166 08-13-2016 02:12 AM
General Questions about the Royal Family of Morocco JulieS Royal Family of Morocco 38 07-11-2016 07:23 PM
General Questions & Random Facts about the British Royal Family Dane British Royals 133 02-03-2015 09:23 PM
Questions about some recent British Royal Weddings Liamdarcybrown Royal Weddings 8 02-05-2011 11:48 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style countess of wessex's eveningwear coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events danish royal family duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece jean kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess madeleine hats princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 spanish queen state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises