Genealogy of the Royal Family of Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toledo

Heir Presumptive
City
Amsterdam, Upstate NY
Country
United States
The recent genealogy of the Royal House of Denmark from 1843 to the present

Another favorite site of mine is this other one. It has the Danish Royal House family trees from the year 200 to year 1250:

Genealogy from year 200 to year 407

Genealogy from year 407 to year 647

Genealogy from year 647 to year 936

Genealogy from year 936 to year 1047

Genealogy from year 1047 to year 1137

And last one from that site, Genealogy from year 1137 to year 1250

In summary, Denmark is really the oldest European monarchy. That's a 1,806 years old crown!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I always found it so interesting, that two king Frederiks of Denmark had Swedish wives. Frederik VIII was married to Louise of Sweden, and their grandson Frederik IX was married to Ingrid of Sweden. The two Swedish princesses were not as closely related to each other as you could think though. Louise was the daughter of king Carl XV and his queen Louise of the Netherlands, while Ingrid was the great granddaughter of Carl's younger brother king Oscar II. However, Frederik IX and Ingrid of Sweden still were third cousins.

Last edited:
Illegitimate Children of Christian IX?

Alright guys :)

My college roommate told me earlier that her sister told her they were descended from royalty. Their family has always had the story, but never knew it was true. Now, her sister was doing genealogy and it has apparently been confirmed that they are descendants from Christian IX of Denmark, through an illegitimate daughter, named Marie.

Now I've never heard of Christian being unfaithful to his wife, but I DO know that his youngest daughter, Thyra, had an illegitimate daughter named Marie, by Vilhelm Frimann Marcher, and that she was given up for adoption to a couple named Jørgensen. But I don't know if this is the same Marie or not. According to them, the illegitimate daughter, Marie, fled during the Danish-Prussian War (or the Second Schleswig War) because the Prussians wanted to kill her because of her lineage. Thyra's daughter was born in 1871, so she wouldn't have been old enough.

They were just wondering about whether or not it's true. Their last name is Mielke. Any help would be appreciated :)

One way might be to find the church records for this Marie, ie. baptism records, where the parents would be mentioned. I sincerely don't think that Christian IX might be mentioned as the father, if he was it - but there could be other circumstances that would indicate unknown father, name/age/work of mother or something like that. Other facts, such as birth date, date of immigration to the US, and so on and so forth might be able to prove/disprove the theory.

Especially matching birthdate and the location of the mother before that, up with wherever Christian was earlier that year might be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend's sister says that the girl's name was Anne Marie Christine Jensen, and that she had a brother, who was her ancestor, not the sister.

Where would she go about finding baptismal records, etc?

Some census records have been scanned in, and for those, as well as baptismal records it would depend on where in Denmark she came from - in order to find things. A start could be DIS Denmark's overview of Digital sources: Digitale Kilder

the genealogical association in Denmark: Dis Danmark have a forum called Find Your relatives in Denmark, where she might ask some questions: DIS-Forum :: Find your relatives in Denmark

In most cases, though it is a matter of, firstly going through the actual documents remaining in the family, and then looking through archives in Denmark.

his youngest daughter, Thyra, had an illegitimate daughter named Marie, by Vilhelm Frimann Marcher, and that she was given up for adoption to a couple named Jørgensen

Slightly off topic but did this girl leave any descendants?

Slightly off topic but did this girl leave any descendants?
Marie Katerine Jørgensen married Frode Pløyen-Holstein, but the marriage was childless.

It's not actually known 100% which girl was the daughter of Thyra - as it is said on the Danish genealogy forums - there were several girls who were born on the same day, and who all grew up in the belief that they were Thyra's daughter...

Little known daughter of Christian IX

I saw your question about Christian IX having an illegitimate daughter and wanted to let you know this is true. Please see this website which quotes my family (Larsen's and Nash's) in Utah who are her descendants.

This was when Christian was quite young and had not married yet.
BARBARA JENSINE DORTHEA OLSEN LARSEN

Crown Princess Mary's genealogy

Does anyone know of any research done into the former Mary Donaldson's family tree? If she in fact, way back through her Scottish ancestry, is in fact related to royalty or associated with royalty (for example, an ancestor was a lady-in-waiting or something)...If research has been done, would us plebs have access to it anyway?

The farthest back one can go on her family tree is a great-great-great-grandparent. Nothing to indicate anything to do with royalty or even nobility. There may be a link further than that but on geneall.net that is as far as one can go.

I'm interested in this too, Menarue. I would think that Princess Mary herself is looking into this, surely?

The farthest back one can go on her family tree is a great-great-great-grandparent. Nothing to indicate anything to do with royalty or even nobility. There may be a link further than that but on geneall.net that is as far as one can go.

Not that she needs to have any noble ancestors. She is a Crown Princess and mother of the heir of the throne. :flowers: Those things tend to matter more before one marries the guy but not in this case, apparently.

I am not interested in this as her "claim" to her royal title, more as an "explanation" into her suitability and naturalness with which she has taken to her role...like she was predestined to because of her ancestral background...Like the fairytale, "Princess and the Pea" perhaps? I am all about destiny and fate and things happening for a reason, kismet, karma, etc...And yes, attaininggrace, I would think that Princess Mary has people working on this since the day she was married...

Well, so far they haven´t come up with anything. They were very quick to find Sophie, Countess of Wessex´s royal connections.
I too think that, at this point it doesn´t matter. She has the looks, the good education and the willingness to learn. She fits in perfectly. Just like Princess Grace of Monaco who also fitted in perfectly, in fact she played the part much better than a great many royal born princesses do.
Perhaps that is the secret. Someone born royal, or even noble, doesn´t worry about the impression made by them on the other classes. The highly born act naturally whereas someone who attains this, to him/her unknown heights, has to work at it, or believes they have to work at it so as to fit in.
When I say behave naturally, I am also referring to not such good behaviour too. A royal can fall down dead drunk at a party and be criticized but when he/she gets up is still royal and will be treated as such. An accident of birth which brings honours. If the raised to royal did the same they would probably be shamed and gosipped about for ever.
In my opinion Princess Mary is a natural, she has found the place that she is perfect for. This is rare but very fortuitous.
In a way it fits in beautifully with the fairy stories of childhood.

Does anyone know of any research done into the former Mary Donaldson's family tree? If she in fact, way back through her Scottish ancestry, is in fact related to royalty or associated with royalty (for example, an ancestor was a lady-in-waiting or something)...If research has been done, would us plebs have access to it anyway?

i'm sure we would know. they have been quick finding royal ancestry of a number of now royals (married into royalty) and people love to hear those sort of things. if it were true, i'm sure the press would be the first to be told. so far, nothing has been said.

well, anything's possible... i probably wouldn't have believed such stories until i found out my OWN story, which is that i'm a Kennedy relative and descended from British royalty waaaaay far back. certainly not as close as this girl would be, just a few generations away from Christian IX.

My great-grandmother told me that our she descends from a woman who was a prostitute in Denmark who fled to America after having a child with Christian IX.
I have no idea if any of this is true, but just another story to share.

A new subject:

I have read recently that King Edward VII's consort HM Queen Alexandra, née HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark, had assuredly inherited the condition 'otosclerosis' from her mum, née Princess Louise of Hesse-Cassel. Otosclerosis is the sclerosis, or the hardening, of the tympanic membranes/eardrums in each ear.
Has ever read/heard of any other descendants of either HM Queen Alexandra, or her mum, HM Queen Louise of Denmark, having this condition?
The current Duke of Edinburgh's mom, HRH Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark, née Princess Alice of Battenburg, was born almost totally hearing-impaired. I do believe HRH Princess Alice/Andrew was descendant of HM Queen Alexandra.
Bad royal genes on the lurk (again)?

Queen Alexandra was a third cousin of Alice's great-grandfather Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Queen Victoria's husband); so they were rather distantly related, and I don't think that their deafness was genetic.

MAfan said:
Queen Alexandra was a third cousin of Alice's great-grandfather Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Queen Victoria's husband); so they were rather distantly related, and I don't think that their deafness was genetic.

So to make this confusing, if her HM Queen Alexandra, HM King Edward VII's, consort, was HRH Prince Albert's,Queen Victoria's consort, third cousin, then QA was a cousin to her spouse, KE. Well anyway, to make it easy, which of QV's and PA's offspring was Princess Alice/Andrew descended?

:previous:
Queen Victoria > Princess Alice > Princess Victoria of Battenberg née Hesse > Princess Andrew of Greece née Alice of Battenberg

MAfan said:

Only giving attention to the fact that HM/HRH Queen/Princess Alexandra of GB/Denmark's mother was, Princess Louise of Hesse-Cassel, and HRH Princess Alice/Andrew's mother was also a princess of Hesse, HRH Princess Victoria of Battenburg, née Hesse.

:previous:
The Battenbergs were an offshoot of Hesse-Darmstadt, aka the now-extinct Grand Ducal line of Hesse and by Rhine.
Hesse-Cassel is the Landgravate or Electoral branch of the House of Hesse, a separate line to that of Hesse-Darmstadt.

There was virtually nil marital contact between the two branches.

The official royal Danish site also has a fairly decent tree, although it is in Danish - Kongehuset - Monarkiet i Danmark - Stamtrer and lacks some names and whatnot.

The tree is really good: I printed it for myself in A3 version just to understand who is related to who while reading different books and it helps!
This tree has also one nice bonus: it shows portraits if you touch with mouse the screen. Unfortunately it's not updated regularly_ there's only 2 children for Mary and the Christian's photo is very old (from baptism).
But still it's really worth to be seen.

Is there anywhere a genealogical list of Princess Marie (wife of Prince Joachim)?

principessa said:
Is there anywhere a genealogical list of Princess Marie (wife of Prince Joachim)?

I know wikipedia usually has family linages
For royal families

Back
Top Bottom