The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Did Meghan get a copy of her Irish Family tree during her visit I recall there was talk about it?

6th of April 1199,Death of Richard the Lionheart
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Royal Highness

If she did, it would probably be a private gift. I can just imagine her half-sister claiming that it should be given to the Markle family!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

More on Meghan's Irish heritage.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...rkle-1.3571339
Quote:
Meghan Markle, who visited Dublin last week, has publicly embraced a blended heritage that includes Irish ancestry. The duchess is descended from the mixed-marriage in 1860 of a Belfast Catholic and English Protestant. The couple won the “army-wives lottery” and secured permission to marry in Donnybrook Church. Shortly after, they left Ireland for Malta and later*Canada.*
Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Interesting read, thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks to @Gawin for directing me to this thread.

A journalist I met in 2017 ended up writing a piece in our local newspaper about Meghan's maternal family's local connections, published in the week leading up to H&M's royal wedding. The article contains a few inaccuracies due to information being sketchy, especially at that time (e.g., Meghan's great-grandmother's husband/ common-law partner's name is James Forshey, not James Arnold). There are likely a number of genealogy enthusiasts sleuthing around trying to track down more information on Meghan's maternal line, since a lot has already been uncovered about her paternal ancestry. Much of the information has yet to be fully organized. Anyway, here's the article:
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...sing_clev.html

I recently found additional information online via this gem of a blog post by a genealogy enthusiast. The information contained here corrects some of the details in the above article, especially regarding names:
https://vitabrevis.americanancestors...ternal-family/
Scroll down to #5 Nettie Mae Allen alias Arnold (This is Meghan's maternal great-grandmother; Doria's grandmother; Jeanette Arnold Johnson Ragland's mother)

Of course, it was Meghan's Uncle Joseph (Doria's half-brother) who started the ball rolling re Meghan's maternal genealogy, by selling family pictures and information to the Daily Mail right after H&M's engagement announcement. Here's a video compiled from the pictures and text published in DM. Scroll to 4:10 to see a photo of Nettie Mae Allen Arnold:

In this video, as part of a public service campaign by USA Network, Meghan briefly mentions how her mother's family migrated from Cleveland to California when her mother was a baby:

No Meghan, prejudices are not isolated to the past, unfortunately. Hopefully, continued historical, anthropological and genealogical research can help in the effort to bring people closer together in spirit, since we actually are all connected biologically.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

As I mentioned in the DoC family background thread, Meghan and Kate are also very distantly connected via Elizabeth Mortimer, a great-granddaughter of King Edward III. It's said that most people alive today who have English ancestry are likely descendants of King Edward III. However, due to lack of readily accessible records, it's difficult for many people to be able to trace their ancestral roots back that far. Or to definitively confirm accuracy of sketchy information they may come across.

Here's the website that contains information connecting DoC Kate and DoS Meghan:
https://anthonyadolph.co.uk/princess-catherine/
Scroll down to "Elizabeth Mortimer":
https://anthonyadolph.co.uk/princess-catherine/

And here is the website that contains a pdf link which provides a very detailed paternal ancestral chart of Meghan Markle showing the distant connection to Harry via King Edward III through Wentworth, Seymour, Spencer, Cavendish and Bowes-Lyon families down to the Windsors. So, there's a Meghan paternal family connection to both Diana Spencer and Elizabeth Bowes Lyon that we can see on this chart:
https://www.americanancestors.org/Ro...an-Markle.aspx

When you open the website, click on the pdf link positioned to the right and save. It's entitled: Meghan and Harry's Shared Ancestry. It's fascinating. Most likely when all of this genealogy information was revealed showing Meghan's royal ancestral connections, it sealed the deal for Harry's family members' full acceptance of Meghan (albeit he would have married her anyway). I can just imagine them thinking: "Oh, it makes perfect sense then. She's one of us." Even DoC Kate is an 11th cousin of Prince William via her paternal line connection to Queen Mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

And looking at the chart, I can also see clearly the Brudenell-Bruce family connection which passes down to Diana's mother who married 7th Earl Spencer which effectively reconnected two Seymour family lines. As well, one of Prince Harry's former girlfriends, Florence Brudenell-Bruce, is related to George Brudenell 3rd Earl of Cardigan (see his name on the chart) via a Walpole ancestor who married into the Brudenell family. We don't see Florence's direct line on the linked chart of course, but her connection to British royalty was mentioned in 2011 around the time Prince Harry briefly dated Florence after breaking up with Chelsy Davy:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-removed.html
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Walpole-4

Therefore, Harry's former girlfriend, Florence Brudenell-Bruce, his cousin 8 times removed, is also distantly related to his wife DoS Meghan. In fact, there appears to be a slight facial resemblance between Florence and Meghan. Not unusual, since it's all in the family. Apparently, the tabloids missed this tidbit. I wonder for how long?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I find it amazing that Meghan's ancestry is so interesting yet no one seems to realize that William and Harry also have a very well known actor in their family tree.

If you've ever caught the popular Chicago Med program aired here in the States every Wednesday, you'll see someone distantly (3rd cousin) related to William and Harry. His name is Oliver Platt and he plays Dr. Daniel Charles in the series.

Its in the blood.

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-cha...by+burke+roche
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM
Serene Highness

^^ Yes indeed, I read about that before re Olver Platt.

As I learned, everyone with English ancestry alive today is said to be descended in one way or another from King Edward III. That's a mighty revelation. At some level, we are all connected, but the threads and connections are distant and convoluted for the most part. And sometimes, not even traceable or verifiable.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The threads that did survive all the plagues were the nobles and rich that could afford to isolate and eat healthy. Those middle ages were brutal.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 AM
Serene Highness

Well yes, lot's of people died. But the genealogists are saying that everyone still alive today who has English ancestry (which can often be revealed via DNA testing) is likely descended from King Edward III. The fact being that the population was much smaller back then. And also the family lines extend out in so many directions. Plus in England, the family wealth is always passed down to sons. So, it's notable that Meghan's father's direct-line ancestry to King Edward III is via a female line great-granddaughter who may not have married a landowner. In fact, notice in the genealogy chart how many daughers are in the Markle line of descent, rather than sons.

From the American Ancestors link I provided in post #46, I think it's very interesting that Meghan is related via her paternal ancestry to a number of U.S. presidents, including the Bushes, James Garfield, Calvin Coolidge, Chester Arthur, Richard Nixon, and also to John Kerry, Clarence Darrow, Mamie Eisenhower, the poet John Greenleaf Whittier, and the actor, James Dean, et al!

In addition, with all of the vast familial line interconnections, Harry and Meghan are incredibly said to be "distant cousins in more than 200 ways." That's mind-boggling. Perhaps that's why during their courtship, Harry and Meghan felt such a familiar kinship and synchronicity.