Genealogy of HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKCambridgeDuchess300x215-1.png

Arms of HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

:crown5:

Genealogy of HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

Currently the genealogical information relating to the Middleton family is located in the British Forums thread
Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background.

Australian genealogist/researcher Michael Reed is currently delving into the genealogy of the Middleton family and therefore of the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George. As the more detailed and accurate list of antecedents, ancestors and family connections are found and the family's verified genealogy is expanded further into the past, the current thread is looking more and more inappropriate.

Over the next few weeks the bulk of the posts relating to genealogical issues will be moved out of the British Forums thread (now at 87 pages) and into the new Royal Genealogical subforum thread. Thanks for everyone's patience while this exercise is completed.

a%20crown.gif

Last edited:
Wills and Kate, the kissing cousins: how the Royal lovebirds are related thanks to a Tudor tyrant | Mail Online

A dark and deliciously murky secret hovers over the continuing relationship between Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton - a skeleton so large that even a vast royal closet would struggle to contain it.
For the Mail can reveal that William and Kate are distant cousins. Not only that, the common ancestor who links the two lovers is a murderous despot whose bloody deeds have been deliberately forgotten by history. Until now.

Oooh! This gets really interesting. According to the article, their common ancestor is Sir Thomas Leighton and his wife, Elizabeth Knollys. Elizabeth was the daughter of Catherine Carey, who herself was a daughter of Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne Boleyn. Catherine was also rumored to the the daughter of Henry VIII because of her mother's relationship with the king.

My inner historian is squealing because this that William and Kate would be returning the Boleyn bloodline to the throne for the first time since Elizabeth I! That is assuming that none of Elizabeth's other cousins married into the royal line during the Stuart or Hanover eras.

Don´t let your inner historian squeal too loudly without seeing actual documentary proof, many a royal ancestor has been invented, the Daily Mail is very good at throwing out little tidbits like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point!

Yeah, I calmed down after about an hour or so. It turns out that Wikipedia lists the Queen Mother as a possible descendant of Mary Boleyn without any sort of citation.
And I should know better to trust the Daily Mail as a source, but it was 3 AM and I was sleep deprived.

Don´t worry about it Thena. Actually this could mean either good news or bad news for the interested people.
For those who would like to see Kate Middleton ascend the consort´s throne of Great Britain, well this could be a sign that journalists are trying to prove that she is a good match, as they know something.
For the very same reasons it is bad news for those who would rather her marry a millionaire and disappear into an opulent life out of sight.
To tell you the truth I think it is just to try and sell more newspapers at a time when most people are away on holiday. Mary Boleyn seemed far enough away to get away with it. I have often said on the forum, royal ancestors are usually remembered by the descendants even if they were the wrong side of the blanket.
I was interested enough to look up some of the descendants of Anne Boleyn´s sister and there were quite a few, Stanhope appeared which makes me wonder if the Lady Serena is one of her descendants, but as I said there seems to be so many it would take up too much time to try and trace them all just for curiosity.

Kate Middleton: New study reveals Duchess's links to earls, countesses and a former Prime Minister | Mail Online

The Duchess of Cambridge was the first commoner to marry the heir to the throne in 350 years and is descended from coal miners, a road sweeper and even a prisoner. But new research into her family has revealed that the middle class princess has noble blood after all. A previously unknown branch of the Middleton's family tree shows Kate can count earls, countesses and even a Prime Minister among her ancestors.

Pupils in Melbourne, Australia, stumbled across the link during a genealogy project set by their teacher. The children were asked to research either the family tree of the Duchess, David Beckham or rapper 50 Cent using an online programme.

It was soon discovered that the Duchess was related to William Petty FitzMaurice, the 1st Marquess of Lansdowne, whose ancestral seat Bowood House in Wiltshire is considered one of Britain's best stately homes. He served as Prime Minister between July 1782 and April 1783 during the reign of George III and is remembered for negotiating the peace settlement that ended the American War of Independence. Kate is the second cousin three times removed of Barbara Lupton, who became Lady Bullock when she married Sir Christopher Bullock. Sir Christopher, a descendent of William Petty FitzMaurice, worked as principal private secretary to Winston Churchill and later became permanent under-secretary at the British Air Ministry.

The Duchess's family line was traced back five generations to the Marquess of Lansdowne and his brother Thomas FitzMaurice who lived at the Buckinghamshire stately home Cliveden with his wife Mary, 4th Countess of Orkney in the late 18th century. The teacher contacted Edward, the surviving son of Sir Christopher and Lady Bullock who confirmed the connection. He also sent his findings to the Duchess, who thanked him for the research.

William Bortrick, the chairman of Burke's Peerage, said it will make an 'interesting inclusion' in the next edition of the guide, which will be published after the Duchess gives birth.

Last edited:
Kate Middleton: New study reveals Duchess's links to earls, countesses and a former Prime Minister | Mail Online

The Duchess of Cambridge was the first commoner to marry the heir to the throne in 350 years and is descended from coal miners, a road sweeper and even a prisoner. But new research into her family has revealed that the middle class princess has noble blood after all. A previously unknown branch of the Middleton's family tree shows Kate can count earls, countesses and even a Prime Minister among her ancestors.

Pupils in Melbourne, Australia, stumbled across the link during a genealogy project set by their teacher. The children were asked to research either the family tree of the Duchess, David Beckham or rapper 50 Cent using an online programme.

It was soon discovered that the Duchess was related to William Petty FitzMaurice, the 1st Marquess of Lansdowne, whose ancestral seat Bowood House in Wiltshire is considered one of Britain's best stately homes. He served as Prime Minister between July 1782 and April 1783 during the reign of George III and is remembered for negotiating the peace settlement that ended the American War of Independence. Kate is the second cousin three times removed of Barbara Lupton, who became Lady Bullock when she married Sir Christopher Bullock. Sir Christopher, a descendent of William Petty FitzMaurice, worked as principal private secretary to Winston Churchill and later became permanent under-secretary at the British Air Ministry.

The Duchess's family line was traced back five generations to the Marquess of Lansdowne and his brother Thomas FitzMaurice who lived at the Buckinghamshire stately home Cliveden with his wife Mary, 4th Countess of Orkney in the late 18th century. The teacher contacted Edward, the surviving son of Sir Christopher and Lady Bullock who confirmed the connection. He also sent his findings to the Duchess, who thanked him for the research.

William Bortrick, the chairman of Burke's Peerage, said it will make an 'interesting inclusion' in the next edition of the guide, which will be published after the Duchess gives birth.

"her ancestors"="second cousin three times removed, who became Lady Bullock when she married"
nice :ROFLMAO:

This "news" keeps getting repeated and reposted over and over again. A second cousin three times removed who married a man who was knighted does not exactly make you noble or aristocratic. The Middletons remain a mddle class English family and there is nothing wrong with that.

:previous:
True, but a convenient diversion nonetheless following the deletion of a swag of posts.

If we all go back into our ancestry, we will find some interesting stuff and sometimes you'll find out that there were some bluebloods within the family. I haven't done my family tree yet but I do consider my family to be bluebloods.

Genealogy can be a lot of fun, but you must start with yourself and work backwords. Get the documents, baptism, marriage records etc. so you don"t go off in a wrong direction. Have fun.

This "news" keeps getting repeated and reposted over and over again...
Once more into the breach...

Kate Middleton's family tree reveals Duchess of Cambridge is a real Cambridge University boffin | Mail Online
3 April 2013

The Duchess of Cambridge is a real Cambridge boffin: New details of Kate's family tree reveal that she is descended from university academics

• Portraits of Kate's ancestors have been presented to Trinity College
  • Her great great grandfather and great great grand uncle were both students
  • Link uncovered by Australian teacher Michael Reed and his Melbourne class
The Duchess of Cambridge has been revealed to have 'varsity blue' blood - because she is descended from Cambridge University boffins. Kate Middleton's great great-grandfather Francis Martineau Lupton and great great grand-uncle Sir Charles Lupton were both academics at Trinity College Cambridge.Both came from a rich and successful merchant and manufacturing family and Sir Charles was the founder of the world's largest law firm DLA Piper. The assignment also revealed that her second cousin - thrice removed - is Newnham College graduate Lady Barbara Bullock.

The link to the Duchess's title city was uncovered by Australian history teacher Michael Reed and pupils during a class project in Melbourne. Mr Reed visited Cambridge on Tuesday to present pictures of Kate's long-lost Lupton ancestors to Trinity College. He said: 'This all stems from a class project before Christmas on genealogy which made me look into Kate Middleton's ancestry. We had confirmed that Lady Barbara Bullock - nee Lupton - had links to Kate and so when the name Lupton cropped up again I looked into it further. We found the connections between her and the Lupton brothers, who studied at Trinity in the mid 19th century.'

Mr Reed traced the Duchess's family line back five generations to the Marquess of Lansdowne and his brother Thomas FitzMaurice who lived at the Buckinghamshire stately home Cliveden with his wife Mary, 4th Countess of Orkney in the late 18th century.

Professor David McKitterick, Vice Master of Trinity and College Librarian, said: 'We are grateful to Mr Reed for donating these photographs to Trinity.'

v the Middleton Lupton line of descent
thumbnail image courtesy of MailOnline, Associated Newspapers Ltd

Attachments

• Middleton Family Tree.jpg
    Middleton Family Tree.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 19,781
Last edited:
Very nice pictures.

I think James Middleton resembles his ancestor Francis Martineau Lupton.

Just how does her second cousin 3 times removed marrying someone who descended from the FitzMaurices make any of these people her ancestors? Someone has a fairly liberal, and very inaccurate, understanding of the term ancestor I would say.

:previous:

When I read this, my immediate reaction was "Here we go, anything to prove we do not have a "commoner" royal.

So William and Catherine are 15th cousins. So what?

And I also started out thinking that at least they are now mentioning the paternal side of the family, rather than maternal. But I now think it might also be just another way of being negative about Carole.

There is something really vicious in the way that the press in the UK have attacked Carole - as if Michael had no say in anything. Ultimately that is an attack on both.

Instead what we really have is a close-knot family, who love and trust each other - and the UK media acts like a jealous child. Pathetic.

Well, that was obvious. Her great, great, great uncle wore his coat shorter than the other gentlemen did. It runs in the family. :lol:

I just think it's amazing that there's actual video of some of Catherine's ancestors.

thank you for posting these. They are just wonderful, the oldest one didn't load for me.
The crowds in the Princess mary one were very rambunctious.

Oh okay. I may be able to help with your Cambridge ancestry project. What information on their family trees do you have so far?
I have heard that Catherine, thus, is descended from George Washington--I know for a fact that she is this related to one of my favorite actresses of all time. I love that :)
However, because of the above relationship, this makes her a very, very distantly removed cousin of (favorite actresses of mine) Bette Davis and Ginger Rogers. More favorite tidbits.
I've also heard that she is also related to the Fairfaxes of Virginia, George Washington's native family. Thus, William and herself are also related through that connection.

Last edited:
I haven't done much on Catherine's side yet, but I've got William's side pretty much worked out. I'm just going over it all again and then I'll be turning more to Catherine. Once I'm happy with it all I'll probably post a link to it in the British genealogy thread.

Catherine's not descended from George Washington, but they do allegedly have a common ancestor in Sir William Gascoigne and his wife, Lady Margaret Percy. Here's an article on it from the DM: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...en-DeGeneres-cousins-claims-new-research.html

The Telegraph 26 April 2014

Forgotten film shows Duchess's great-great-grandfather inspecting troops as Royal couple mark Anzac Day

Newly rediscovered footage reveals the Duchess of Cambridge's great-great-grandfather inspecting long lines of troops in Leeds in 1915, just as the Royal couple had a similar engagement at the national Anzac Day ceremony at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Forgotten footage shot by British Pathé in 1915 reveals the Duchess of Cambridge’s great-great-grandfather inspecting long lines of troops in Leeds. Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge joined VC winners and other dignitaries to commemorate Anzac Day at the end of their tour Down Under, paying their respects to all Australian and New Zealand servicemen and women who gave their lives in wars and conflicts.

The scenes were echoed by newly-rediscovered footage almost a century old from British Pathé. In the clip the Lord Mayor of Leeds, Sir Charles Lupton (the great-great-great-uncle of the Duchess of Cambridge), can be seen paying a visit to the Leeds Pals Battalion in a camp near Colsterdale in the Yorkshire Dales. Thanks to records made by the cameraman on the day we know that in the entourage behind him are his three brothers Hugh, Arthur and Francis M. Lupton - all of whom were Aldermen of the City of Leeds at the time. Francis M. Lupton is the Duchess' Great-Great Grandfather and would tragically later lose all three of his sons, Lionel, Francis and Maurice, in World War One.

The footage emerged after British Pathé, the newsreel maker which documented all walks of life on video during the 20th Century, uploaded its entire collection of moving images to YouTube this month. That it showed the previously unknown meetings was discovered by Australian historian Michael Reed.

Earlier this week other footage emerged which revealed the moment that Prince William's grandfather and Kate Middleton's grandfather met as pilot and co-pilot in South America in the 1960s.

Prince Philip was an accomplished pilot, having first taken lessons in 1952, and elected to fly many of the journeys during the tour himself with Peter Middleton - Kate Middleton's grandfather - as co-pilot. Middleton was a Mosquito fighter-bomber pilot during the Second World War, tasked with nudging German rockets heading for London off course. He passed away in 2010 at the age of 90 and both Kate and Prince William attended his funeral.

Thank you to Ted for drawing this article to our attention.

Last edited:
Kate's become somewhat of a genealogical focal point in recent years, with people determined to find her royal ancestors. It's pretty much a fact that if you're of British descent you're going to end up with a royal ancestor at some point, it's just a matter of being able to make all the connections. Actually, I'm going to amend that statement; it's pretty much a fact that if you're of European descent then you're going to end up with royal European ancestors at some point, you just have to make the connections.

I've noted two lines for Catherine's family, one for the Middletons and one for the Goldsmiths, although both are debated in their validity. There are other alleged lines, but they seem to be more discredited so I didn't include them.

The Middleton line was first published by William Addams Reitwiesner in 2011 and goes as follows:

1. Michael Middleton
  2. Peter Middleton
  3. Olive Lupton
  4. Francis Lupton
  5. Frances Greenhow
  6. Elizabeth Martineau
  7. Thomas Martineau
  8. Sarah Meadows
  9. Philip Meadows
  10. Sarah Fairfax
  11. Benjamin Fairfax
  12. Benjamin Fairfax
  13. John Fairfax
  14. William Fairfax
  15. Anne Gascoigne
  16. Sir William Gascoigne
  17. Joan Neville
  18. John Neville
  19. Mary Ferrers
  20. Joan Beaufort
  21. John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster
  22. Edward III
The Goldsmith line was first put forward by Christopher Challender Child, then later by Patrick Cracroft-Brennan and Anthony Adolph, and it goes as follows:

1. Carole Goldsmith
  2. Dorothy Harrison
  3. Thomas Harrison
  4. John Harrison
  5. Jane Liddell
  6. Anthony Liddell
  7. Jane Hardy
  8. Jane Conyers
  9. Sir Thomas Conyers, 9th Baronet
  10. Sir Ralph Conyers, 5th Baronet
  11. John Conyers
  12. John Conyers