The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2016, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

If it's Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII with Victoria, it doesn't really resemble George V at all and the crush velvet outfit of the young child seems totally off since the children of George and Mary were wearing sailor outfits in a lot of the photos of them when small.

If it's eldest son, grandson and great grandson, isn't the Kaiser Wilhelm the oldest grandson of Victoria not Eddy?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I've had a thought. It is obviously Victoria, but the man beside her on the right wearing what appears to be a British uniform could be the blonde and bushy-bearded Frederick III of Germany, her beloved son in law who was a great favourite in England. He was gravely ill from cancer and died of course in 1888. (That scrap looks more 1880's than 1890's which would be when David (Edward) was growing up.)

The young man to the left with the moustache looks like the future Kaiser Wilhelm II before he started waxing his moustache into points. He was Queen Victoria's eldest grandson, in his twenties when he married and his eldest son, again Wilhelm, was born in 1882, perfect for the little boy.

Freidrich's illness wasn't really known by the general public and I'm wondering whether the 'Four Generations' title refers not to dynasties but to the close relationship of these future Kaisers to their mother in law, grandmother and great grandmother, with this composition dating from say 1887. What do you think?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Four Generations

Curryong, you could be right. The man in red uniform has only one knighthood badge on- if this was Bertie Prince of Wales wouldn't he have multiple plus he isn't wearing a Garter sash? Also the younger adult is hiding is left arm and doing the Napoleon stuff your hand in your shirt move. The Kaiser had a bum left arm from birth.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/513903007454132076/

Old 01-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting thought, so that would be the younger three men in this picture:
https://41.media.tumblr.com/c2eaf453...0mleo1_500.jpg

The father has a very distinctive beard in most pictures, not a round one (if you know what i mean) like in the original picture..
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

^ I have seen photos of Frederick with a full bushy beard, especially when his children were younger. Illustrators who compiled these set scrap pieces often weren't interested in complete accuracy.

It just appears to me that the figure of the younger man resembles Wilhelm II more than it does Albert Victor and, as Skippyboo has pointed out, the placement of his arm is interesting. I've also never seen pictures of David and his brothers dressed in velvet and lace Little Lord Fauntleroy suits, while Dona (Augusta, Wilhem's wife) was very fond of them and there are photos of several of her sons in them.

If I'm correct then that would explain the odd absence of George Duke of York and the difficulties about Albert Victor and David being in the same picture, wouldn't it?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If it's Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII with Victoria, it doesn't really resemble George V at all and the crush velvet outfit of the young child seems totally off since the children of George and Mary were wearing sailor outfits in a lot of the photos of them when small.

If it's eldest son, grandson and great grandson, isn't the Kaiser Wilhelm the oldest grandson of Victoria not Eddy?

I have seen this pic several times with all identified as I have id'd them before. Matter of fact saw it 2 days ago with the same identifications of those in question. It was all about direct in succession to the throne of GB, nothing else.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

It might be so. Then Queen Victoria has her son on her right and on her left is Prince Albert Victor (as his brother never had a moustache and no beard.) And the little boy is? Not David as he wasn't born when his uncle was alive....

Or, it is Victoria, Albert Edward, a completely unrecognisable future King George V (who was clean shaven until he grew a beard) and an equally unrecognisable David, who never wore a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit.

I'm questioning this above interpretation as I don't believe it!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
I have seen this pic several times with all identified as I have id'd them before. Matter of fact saw it 2 days ago with the same identifications of those in question. It was all about direct in succession to the throne of GB, nothing else.
I would be interested in a link or reference where you saw the pic with the names included, i tried to find something like that but no luck as of yet
thank you in advance!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It might be so. Then Queen Victoria has her son on her right and on her left is Prince Albert Victor (as his brother never had a moustache and no beard.) And the little boy is? Not David as he wasn't born when his uncle was alive.

Or, it is Victoria, Albert Edward, a completely unrecognisable future King George V (who was clean shaven until he grew a beard) and an equally unrecognisable David, who never wore a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit.
In post 20 NotHRH mentionted it is indeed the latter
Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You may have seen it identified as such, but that doesn't mean that the identification is correct - the Internet is often wrong.

Looking at verifiable pictures of George V and Edward VIII make it pretty doubtful that either are depicted in the original picture posted. Such pictures might have broader interpretations of what people look like, but given as George V was known for having a full beard (not a moustache) and his sons as children were known for being dressed in sailor outfits, it's hard to believe that an image meant to depict them would come out looking like the one posted here.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I know that, Lee-Z. See my posts on this topic on this thread. I'm debating the subject and being sarcastic.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I've had a thought. It is obviously Victoria, but the man beside her on the right wearing what appears to be a British uniform could be the blonde and bushy-bearded Frederick III of Germany, her beloved son in law who was a great favourite in England. He was gravely ill from cancer and died of course in 1888. (That scrap looks more 1880's than 1890's which would be when David (Edward) was growing up.)

The young man to the left with the moustache looks like the future Kaiser Wilhelm II before he started waxing his moustache into points. He was Queen Victoria's eldest grandson, in his twenties when he married and his eldest son, again Wilhelm, was born in 1882, perfect for the little boy.

Freidrich's illness wasn't really known by the general public and I'm wondering whether the 'Four Generations' title refers not to dynasties but to the close relationship of these future Kaisers to their mother in law, grandmother and great grandmother, with this composition dating from say 1887. What do you think?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic+...5V9_oUl0XxM%3A
Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 AM
Courtier

Men in this pic have been identified. The boy's face is obvious, as is his father's. QV with the Prince of Wales, the son of the PoW, and the grandson of the PoW. As they say, "read 'em and weep.." but I really don't take it all that seriously...now 🍹🍷🍻🍺🍸 cheers and put it in on my tab...😉
Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I would be interested in a link or reference where you saw the pic with the names included, i tried to find something like that but no luck as of yet
thank you in advance!
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic+...5V9_oUl0XxM%3A
Old 01-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It IS indeed the latter...😉
Old 01-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

NotHRH, not one of the photos you provided in your link shows the future King George V without a beard and just with a moustache. Not one of the photos in that link shows David wearing a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit. The boy's face is not 'obvious' and his father's certainly isn't !

I do know what the BRF looked like in that era. I have dozens of books on Queen Victoria, her family and descendants.

It may be that the makers of that composite piece intended the two younger males to be the Duke of York, as he then was, and his son David. The facts are however that these figures no more resemble who they are supposed to be than I resemble Queen Elizabeth (and I don't!)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
NotHRH, not one of the photos you provided in your link shows the future King George V without a beard and just with a moustache. Not one of the photos in that link shows David wearing a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit. The boy's face is not 'obvious' and his father's certainly isn't !

I do know what the BRF looked like in that era. I have dozens of books on Queen Victoria, her family and descendants.

It may be that the makers of that composite piece intended the two younger males to be the Duke of York, as he then was, and his son David. The facts are however that these figures no more resemble who they are supposed to be than I resemble Queen Elizabeth (and I don't!)
I am only referring to the last pic in post # 17 - only the last pic. Middle pic is the same people, but obviously a few years earlier. If you are referring to the painting that comes 1st in that post - your guess is as good as mine.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the picture in the first post that is in debate. There are plenty of pictures of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII. But none of those match the first picture and 2 out of the 4 in the first picture look nothing like George V & Edward VIII. If the younger man is Eddy, he is dead before Edward VIII is born.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am only referring to the last pic in post # 17 - only the last pic. Middle pic is the same people, but obviously a few years earlier. If you are referring to the painting that comes 1st in that post - your guess is as good as mine.
that's so funny! We are all posting about pic #1 and posting other pictures of which we know the people to try and figure out the first one
so we already knew who #17 were
Old 01-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
that's so funny! We are all posting about pic #1 and posting other pictures of which we know the people to try and figure out the first one
so we already knew who #17 were
:sly: Duh! I feel like a goofball! Oh well, tried to help. 🍸🍺🍻🍷🍹 Another round of drinks on my tab!!! :-D

Tags
great-grandson of queen victoria, mystery, queen victoria, question