Descendants of Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May I just say 'WOW'...
... and thank you! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Prodigious research Morhange, congratulations. :flowers:

One thing I noticed.. position 327 - HSH Princess Victoria-Benigna Biron von Curland (or Courland) married Baron Johann von Twickel. My understanding is that their sons are Barons von Twickel, not HSH Princes von Twickel. They could not legitimately claim or assume the title of Prince or the style of Serene Highness through their mother's marriage to a Baron. This princely titling and styling has been carried through to the son and daughter of (Baron) Nikolaus von Twickel at position 690.

The url cross-linking and referencing of the entries must have taken a lot of work, and it makes tracking the relationships so much easier.
This is a great companion with updated data to Marlene Eilers' "Queen Victoria's Descendants". Impressive indeed!

morhange said:
victoria

After several days of hard work (spread out over a month, give or take) I present to you a consisce geneology of the descendants of Queen Victoria. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another place that gives so much information in one place. It's usually full of information over a ton of royals and not just limited to Queen V's descendants, so I decided to start up this one for reference.

I have to get a references page up to cite places I got the info, but the geneological data is all here. Hope this is helpful to people :) I know I've made mistakes in dates and stuff that I didn't catch the first time around, so feel free to let me know if there are things that I can fix.
Very impressive.

Just one nitpick - the way you have sorted out the Norwegian royal family makes it look like Marius is also one of Queen Victoria's descendants.

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

I'll get right on those two things. Sometimes when things are getting repetetive, I do things like that. Will get it fixed and udpated :)

Good job morhange. The only thing is the background seems a little too busy (but its a great picture!) & its kind of hard to read the links, etc.

I highlight the text, then it gets easier to read! LOL!

Nice site, Morhange!

I was trying to fix the layout, but for some reason, it doesn't want to cooperate with me :rolleyes:

Great website morhange. I hope you did not have to do all the research yourself to. If youwant more information about the descendants it might be wise to borrow Marlene Eilers' ' Queen Victoria's Descendants' from you local library (+ the follow-up)

It's an amazing work, Morhange. Have my congratulations...Sure, you'd worked hard, my dear! It's a very well done site, with a lot of ressources about Queen Victoria's descendants. A real "must" for all people interested in Queen Victoria's family.

Vanesa.

Count Carl Johan and Lady Katherine

I'm very interested in all of the descendants of Queen Victoria. As of today, all of her children and grandchildren are dead, and all but two of her great-grandchildren are deceased as well. The two that aren't are Count Carl Johan Bernadotte (born Prince Carl Johan of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna) and Lady Katherine Brandram (born Princess Aikaterini of Greece and Denmark)

Like with the survivors of the Titanic (of which there are just two remaining) the last two living great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria will soon no longer be with us. I was just curious to know if anyone knows how these two are doing, health-wise? I know Count Carl Johan is still pretty active, since he recently celebrated his 95th birthday, but I don't hear very much about Lady Katherine. Is she close to her Greek nephew and his family? I think she lives in London, and so do Konstantine and Anne-Marie. Do they visit her often?

I am sorry not to be able to help you on your questions about the living GGchildren of QV.
But I sure want to applaud you for your fantastic work.
A family reunion would sure get crowdy;)
However what always strikes me is the fact that nearly all RF can claim some desendance from either Queen Victoria of Britain or from King Christian IX of Denmark (nearly all but the Netherlands:ermm:).

Carl Johan is 91 years old, not 95. He's not the most famous member of the royal family, but I think we will know when he dies. But actually, he's not even a prince anymore since he got married to a commoner in like the 1940s. But he's our king's uncle.

I am sorry not to be able to help you on your questions about the living GGchildren of QV.
But I sure want to applaud you for your fantastic work.
A family reunion would sure get crowdy;)
However what always strikes me is the fact that nearly all RF can claim some desendance from either Queen Victoria of Britain or from King Christian IX of Denmark (nearly all but the Netherlands:ermm:).

The entire Benelux royals, and the Liechtensteins and Grimaldi's don't descend from Victoria, so let's call it a tie ;)

if marrying a commoner means loss of title
what should have happened to the King ??????
Edward VIII of United Kingdom had to abdicate. Younger kings, like Carl XVI Gustaf and Harald V, belong to a younger much more liberal generation. No one loses a title because of their marriage today. Well, no one in Europe, anyway.

Family ties through Queen Victoria

Looking at lineage It looks like most of the European royal houses are related through Queen Victoria. If I read it right is there no blood relations through Queen Victoria between the Dutch royal family and the rest of the royal houses? Are any other european royals not in that lineage also?

Queen Victoria is blood related to the Dutch royal family. None of the Dutch royals are DESCENDED from her, but they have close family ties. For example, Henry, husband of the late Queen Wilhemina, was the half-brother of the wife of Tsar Nicholas II's uncle. Nicholas was the husband of Victoria's granddaughter Alexandra.

I believe the closed Queen Victoria was related to her Dutch relatives was through King George II. Victoria descended from George´s son Frederick-Lewis, Prince of Wales while the Dutch RF descends fro George II´s eldest daughter Anne, Princess Royal, who married Prince Willem IV of Orange.

That is true. However, the Dutch royals thru Duke Henry also descend from George I's daughter Sophia Dorothea of Hanover, who wed Frederick William I of Prussia. Henry of Mecklenberg-Schwerin, consort to Queen Wilhemina, was the son of Duke Frederick Francis II, the son of Princess Alexandrine of Prussia, and thus a descendant of Sophia Dorothea.

Ironically, Queen Adelaide was the sister of Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont, who wed Leopold, the son of Queen Victoria.

Don't you mean Queen Emma?

I believe so.
Rumours have it that the Prince of Orange was very much in the market for a daughter of Victoria as his wife. However Vicky, later Empress Frederic, declined his offer, as did two of her sisters Alice and I believe Helena. So he looked elsewhere.;) Otherwise the House of Orange would be included in the list of Victorias descendants.

Wow I don't know that the late Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland had some other descentants in other reigning European royal houses.I see why she earned the nickname grandmother of europe.

Wow I don't know that the late Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland had some other descentants in other reigning European royal houses.I see why she earned the nickname grandmother of europe.

King Chrisitan IX of Denmark was the grandfather of Europe since he supplied the other half of the pairs.

King Chrisitan IX of Denmark was the grandfather of Europe since he supplied the other half of the pairs.

Almost!

Current ruling houses
Denmark: Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Ingrid - Margrethe II

Norway: Victoria - Edward VII - Maud - Olav V - Harald V

Spain: Victoria - Beatrice - Ena - Juan - Juan Carlos

Sweden: Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI Gustaf

United Kingdom: Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Some former ruling houses
Greece: Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Paul I - Constantine II

Rumania: Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Carol II - Michael

Yugoslavia: Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Maria - Peter II - Alexander

Very nice! :) You left out Germany though:

Germany: Victoria - Victoria - Wilhelm II - Prince Wilhelm - Louis Ferdinand - Georg Freiderich

Some former ruling houses
Greece:
Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Paul I - Constantine II

or:
Victoria - Victoria - Wilhelm II - Victoria Luise - Frederika - Constantine II

And of course, Russia. Queen Victoria and Christian IX were on either end of that royal family's lineage.

Queen Victoria - Alice - Alix - OTMAA
Christian IX - MF - Nicholas II - OTMAA

And then the double tie to Prussia:

Queen Victoria - Alice - Irene - Waldemar (and 2 other sons)

hi guys,.......if you would like a good read on the queens descendants....try
"grandmama of europe :the crowned descendants of queen victoria" by theo aronson (1973). this excellant book deals with the following descendants of the queen ....

victoria, empress of germany
sophie, queen of greece
edward VII, king of great britain
maud, queen of norway
alexandra, empress of russia
louise, queen of sweden
marie, queen of romania
marie, queen of yugoslavia
ingrid, queen of denmark
victoria eugenie (ena), queen of spain

this book is well worth a read guys.....the best ive read on the subject

enjoy...........:flowers:

But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.

:previous:

Yes, Queen Victoria was her maternal great-grandmother (which, incidentally, made her step-children her cousins as well - they were also Queen Victoria's great-grandchildren through their mother).
Louise Mountbatten --> Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine --> Princess Alice of the United Kingdom --> Queen Victoria

Princess Margaret of Connaught was Queen Victoria's granddaughter.
Princess Margaret --> Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught --> Queen Victoria

Incidentally, for those who are interested in a comprehensive list of Queen Victoria King Christian's descendants, there is a magnificent newsletter dealing with the very topic - September 2007 Newsletter: Queen Victoria and King Christian's descendants. Personally I found it very informative. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom